Non-motoring > Amazon parcels by drone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 41

Amazon parcels by drone - Crankcase
Amazon want to deliver parcels by drone.

www.amazon.com/b?ref_=tsm_1_tw_s_amzn_mx3eqp&node=8037720011

Don't suppose we'll see it in the UK in my lifetime, but it could reduce vehicle miles. But if everyone does it the sky will be black with crashing drones, so it's going to need some oversight, at, if you see what I mean, a high level.

Amazon parcels by drone - Old Navy
April is a bit late this year. :-)
 Amazon parcels by drone - Focusless
>> Don't suppose we'll see it in the UK in my lifetime

"However, he added that it could take up to five years for the service to start." (in the US I guess)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25180906
 Amazon parcels by drone - Zero
yeah why not, DHL just throw the parcel over the fence anyway, might as well get bombed with parcels.
 Amazon parcels by drone - Cliff Pope
Or we all have 3-D printers, and anything we buy we just print off on-line. No delivery companies needed anymore.
 Amazon parcels by drone - madf
>> Or we all have 3-D printers, and anything we buy we just print off on-line.
>> No delivery companies needed anymore.
>>

The plastic has to get to you somehow,,,,
 Amazon parcels by drone - Cliff Pope

>>
>> The plastic has to get to you somehow,,,,
>>

But not in small quantities brought by dozens of different white vans. Just one annual bulk delivery.
:)
 Amazon parcels by drone - zippy
Can imagine a new sport of Amazon drone hunting!

Caller: Where is my parcel?

Amazon Rep: Shot down somewhere over Texas!
 Amazon parcels by drone - Fenlander
Hope their control systems are better than these... in under 60secs of the demo starting 3 of 8 had crashed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k_SLYsSHZ0

Nope don't want my new 42" TV slung under a set of these.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 2 Dec 13 at 13:42
 Amazon parcels by drone - DP
They would get stolen. It's a ridiculous idea
 Amazon parcels by drone - CGNorwich
I've got a better idea. Buildings in the high street that carry a selection of goods and where you can actually see the goods and take them away with you. They could have assistants to help you if required. Shopping, as I would call it could be a social experience. Futuristic I know but it could work.
>> I've got a better idea. Buildings in the high street that carry a selection of
>> goods and where you can actually see the goods and take them away with you.
>> They could have assistants to help you if required. Shopping, as I would call it
>> could be a social experience. Futuristic I know but it could work.

By the same token, councils could even help this happen by having conveniently sited parking facilities that don't charge a king's ransom, allowing traffic to flow directly from point A to point B without having to negotiate arcane one-way systems, sleeping policeman, empty bus-lanes, ambiguous or incomplete signs, and other arbitrary hindrances or restrictions, and by not having batteries of CCTV linked to control rooms for the various target driven officials waiting to pounce on and ticket people for the most minor infractions.

You'd have to be some kind of a masochist to choose to shop on the average High Street in 2013.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 2 Dec 13 at 14:10
 Amazon parcels by drone - Alanovich
I've just been to my local high street. Got everything done I needed to. No travel problems, parking fees or traffic violation tickets.

I went by bus.
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 2 Dec 13 at 14:12
 Amazon parcels by drone - Runfer D'Hills
>>I went by bus.

Yeah, understandable really, must be quite a thought the fuel consumption on that petrol automatic Mazda you've bought...

;-)
Tee hee.

Well, the needle hasn't moved off FULL yet. I've done a massive 29 miles since filling it for the first time.

Lovely motor, I'd forgotten that cars don't have to vibrate and growl at tickover. Smooth as the cream in a twinkie. :-)
29 miles?

'bout 6 quids worth then?

Sheesh...
Bus - you're destroying the planet. :-) Just walked up to Norwich, about 2 miles each way, for a bit of light shopping including a visit to my favourite ironmongers , and a coffee in my favourite cafe. Altogether a better experience than ordering on-line although I will concede that for some things there is not much of an alternative
I think more people should use buses. Bus travel is a good thing.

It would free up the roads more for me to use my car.
 Amazon parcels by drone - No FM2R
I like public transport. I doubt I'd ever take the car if a bus/train would do (kids/luggage to one side).

In particular, unless its changed, Reading has an exceptional bus service.
Mmm, the trouble with public transport though is that there are often other people on it and quite a lot of them seem to smell and some of them even try to speak to you.
>>and some of them even try to speak to you.

A very valid concern. And I don't mind a "weather" comment too much, although it'd still be better without, but a whole conversation attempt? Shudder.

I have the same issue with taxi drivers, especially in Chile, but in London as well.

But then, I am just as irritated by people who seem to think that "Did you have a nice weekend?" is a real question and needs more than a "yes, thanks".
 Amazon parcels by drone - Armel Coussine
>> and some of them even try to speak to you.

>> A very valid concern. And I don't mind a "weather" comment too much, although it'd still be better without, but a whole conversation attempt? Shudder.

OOh! Get her (and her)! Hoity toity!

Seriously, FMR and Humph, what's so frightening or distasteful about a possibly interesting and amusing conversation with someone on a bus or tube? If you're reading people don't talk to you. In fact they very seldom do anyway. But when they do, they may well come up with something worth hearing if only in passing. That's my experience anyway.

You're both a bit poncy in the olfactory department too. You shouldn't have given up smoking.
>>You shouldn't have given up smoking

Heh heh ! Sometimes I wish I hadn't. It was my only remaining vice.
>> It was my only remaining vice.

Jeez!

'Show me a man with no vices at all and I'll show you a man headed for the loony bin.' I don't think anyone's said that, but they probably should have.

:o}
>> both a bit poncy in the olfactory department

Sorry FMR, you appear to have a tolerant nose at least. I have misjudged you again.
It's walk or car for me. I did try a bus last year but I had the misfortune to sit next to a family who I don't think had washed for a week or two. I ended up getting off the bus a couple of stops early. I'm lucky in that I live a couple of miles from a decent City centre so I usually walk there. Takes about 45 minutes.

Car journey takes 20 mins by the time you allow for the traffic and time parking and costs a fiver or so in parking and petrol (not sure about exact amount - must start to keep a log of fuel usage. ;-)
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 2 Dec 13 at 17:39
See ^ he's noticed the smell too...
 Amazon parcels by drone - zippy
>>I've got a better idea. Buildings in the high street that carry a selection of goods and where you can actually see the goods and take them away with you. They could have assistants to help you if required. Shopping, as I would call it could be a social experience. Futuristic I know but it could work.

Just ordered a blood pressure monitor for someone in the family. At the local shops it was £89. At Amazon it was £45. No competition!

10m ADSL cable from the same two sources a couple of weeks ago. £17.99 vs £2.44. The latter included delivery to my front door, alas not by drone! :-)

Sad thng is, I'd have paid a fiver, or maybe even a tenner at a push for being able to have it same day.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 2 Dec 13 at 15:17
 Amazon parcels by drone - Zero
>> I've got a better idea. Buildings in the high street that carry a selection of
>> goods and where you can actually see the goods and take them away with you.
>> They could have assistants to help you if required. Shopping, as I would call it
>> could be a social experience. Futuristic I know but it could work.

Cant work. those people known as "shoppers" have rejected it.
No they haven't rejected it, as anyone shopping over the weekend would realise. People still like the traditional high street shopping experience but at the same time want to save money by purchasing on line. At the end of the day there is probably a space for both but traditional shops need to up their game.
 Amazon parcels by drone - MD
Zackly. Well zaid that man.
Can a drone ring a doorbell?
Yes, but your door may not survive the experience...
 Amazon parcels by drone - Roger.
.....ask the Pakistani Taliban about delivery by drone.
No, ask Amazon about it. If Amazon uses the same drone operating company as the CIA, we need to be reassured that their delivery schedules are foolproof.

Imagine how a chap would feel if he was waiting for his new-model Ithingy to float down on a parachute and got a cluster bomb without a parachute instead. Almost enough to make even an Englishman complain.
>> .....ask the Pakistani Taliban about delivery by drone.
>>
Can't you Fool. Their dead.

Now that was a first class delivery.

Just a shame that the Murderers of Lee Rigby weren't there too.
>> >> .....ask the Pakistani Taliban about delivery by drone.
>> >>
>> Can't you Fool. Their dead. Or even THEY'RE. Oops!
>>
>> Now that was a first class delivery.
>>
>> Just a shame that the Murderers of Lee Rigby weren't there too.
>>
 Amazon parcels by drone - sherlock47
tinyurl.com/amazon-drone1947

Interesting 15minutes if you watch the video as well.
 Amazon parcels by drone - Auntie Lockbrakes
I know - we can give this "shopping" notion an artificial boost. Let's put a tax on internet purchases.... Gah!
 Amazon parcels by drone - sherlock47
tinyurl.com/amazon-drone-you-were-out
 Amazon parcels by drone - Crankcase
Waterstones are fighting back big time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LtoSsE_4qU

Latest Forum Posts