Non-motoring > OECD education report: Test your maths Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 33

OECD education report: Test your maths - Dog
Think you know your percentage from your average? As UK schools struggle, take a maths quiz and test your skills...

www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10490243/OECD-education-report-Test-your-maths.html
 OECD education report: Test your maths - No FM2R
90%, I got the revolving door one wrong (stupidly), doing it all as mental arithmetic which I assume was the idea.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 4 Dec 13 at 22:18
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Lygonos
100% but then I was educated in the part of the UK with best educational record.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Westpig
60%

I did better than I did at school. Always been poor at maths, although I scraped an 'O' level.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - bathtub tom
100%. But all my maths was taught before 1966.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - smokie
100%, all done in head. I was pretty awful at maths at school, but that was some time ago now - I've definitely improved with age on this kind of thing.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Fullchat
100%, but I did use a calculator for two of them as its late :)
 OECD education report: Test your maths - VxFan
70%,

but then again I don't do KM. I was brought up to use MPH ;)
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Armel Coussine
100%. But I was slow and in the end once or twice resorted to scribbling. Then again it's late and I'm ripped.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Zero
100%, but then this type of quiz suites my calculation style, which is quick mental estimation, and when you have multiple choice answers its easy confirmation.

Edit, And I have just seen the dawn coming up, and its the most orange one I have ever seen, bright orange. Shepard's take warning.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 5 Dec 13 at 07:36
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Pat
It is here too Z, an enormous red sky.

Pat
I bet they have closed the sluices round your way, with the big North Sea Surge coming down.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Pat
I hope so...best get me willies out just in case.

(Typo alert!!!!!)

Pedant alert: Left for amusement not because I didn't check it;)

Pat
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Cliff Pope
When the revolving door has made one revolution, won't the people who got in the last compartment still be stuck inside and not able to leave?
 OECD education report: Test your maths - madf
>> When the revolving door has made one revolution, won't the people who got in the
>> last compartment still be stuck inside and not able to leave?
>>

yes but another 6 will have entered so over 30 minutes it evens out.

>>
>> yes but another 6 will have entered so over 30 minutes it evens out.
>>

Only if you start counting complete turns with the compartments already filled.
If you started counting revolutions from empty, then at the end there would be 2 still inside?

It's these quibbles that matter - did you read the examples in the actual Telegraph? There was one about someone winding up an alarm clock. You had to know that a mechanical alarm clock couldn't distinguish am and pm, so if you set it too early it went off at 9pm instead of 9 am.
So they aren't just testing arithmetic, but practical knowledge about how things work.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - bathtub tom
The question: What is the maximum number of people that can enter the building through the door in 30 minutes?

Concentrating on the word maximum, I assumed the compartments were filled at the start.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Ambo
80%. I expected 20%.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - madf
100%

I did more difficult questions 55 years ago when I was not a teenager at skool.

Simple sumz.

I'm less-than useless at 'adding up' ... perhaps I could have done better if I'd thought about each question more.

Although I didn't actually rush through 'em, like.

I've recently replaced 2 x shower valves, 1 x toilet syphon (slight leak!) and 2 x Philips X-Treme Vision headlight bulbs.

So I'm more of a hands-on sort of person really ... so the girls tell me :)

%40 :(
 OECD education report: Test your maths - rtj70
I did more complicated maths when I was in the last year of primary school. I got 100% but I was always good at maths to the annoyance of my math's teacher - he never liked giving 100% in exams he set for us at A level.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - DP
80%. Got the average length of step one and the rotating door one wrong. Hated maths. Scraped a "C" at GCSE in 1990
Last edited by: DP on Thu 5 Dec 13 at 11:24
>> I'm less-than useless at 'adding up' ... perhaps I could have done better if I'd
>> thought about each question more.
>>
>> Although I didn't actually rush through 'em, like.
>>
>> I've recently replaced 2 x shower valves, 1 x toilet syphon (slight leak!) and 2
>> x Philips X-Treme Vision headlight bulbs.
>>
>> So I'm more of a hands-on sort of person really ... so the girls tell
>> me :)
>>
>> %40 :(

100% and I do more complicated plumbing and car work than you.
>>100% and I do more complicated plumbing and car work than you.

Grumpy face for that, you don't what I get up to with me plumbing.

I refitted the old doughnut ... BIG mistake!
>> >>100% and I do more complicated plumbing and car work than you.
>>
>> Grumpy face for that, you don't what I get up to with me plumbing.
>>
>> I refitted the old doughnut ... BIG mistake!

AND I do my plumbing properly...
>>AND I do my plumbing properly...

But, but, you'd think that when ya'll purchase a Dudley 'Turbo' 88 syphon, the doughnut would have been included!
>> >>AND I do my plumbing properly...
>>
>> But, but, you'd think that when ya'll purchase a Dudley 'Turbo' 88 syphon, the doughnut
>> would have been included!

But us good plumbers know you had to buy the Dudley 'Turbo' 88 XL
>>But us good plumbers know you had to buy the Dudley 'Turbo' 88 XL

Well, you must be good then, being as you're the-only-one who's ever heard of an XL Dudley job
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Alanovich
Simply can't be bothered with this. I struggle with my son's maths homework, and he's only in year 4, so I'm pretty sure I won't be getting 100%. Was never my strength. I did get a "B" grade O level when I was in the (old money) 4th Form, but that meant I had to take what was then called Additional Maths, betwixt and between O and A level, in the 5th Form and achieved a thoroughly impressive "U" - Ungraded. It was well beyond me, and I still think I must have got lucky questions in my O level paper.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Crankcase
I did A-level maths but like A above, my eyes glazed over at the first question, as my mind always does in tests and exams, because I am incapable of taking things as stated and always have been.

So I was wondering whether Helen was using a Great Circle route or not, and indeed what colour her bicycle was, and whether at some abstruse level colour could affect speed, and how fast colour is anyway, or is that actually a meaningful question, and whether the speedo could be calibrated in mph if she chose, and why she would or wouldn't choose to, and what if it were calibrated in cubits, and then I went and did something else.

Therefore, as always with these blasted things, 0%.

I just wondered how old Helen was, and if over 30ish did she like redheads?

Then I went for a sandwich.
>> called
>> Additional Maths, betwixt and between O and A level,
>>

Was it? I thought it was just another 0-level. We took all ours at the same time. I never realised it was a higher level, just a different kind of maths.

"Use of English" was a special level though. It was a requirement for university entrance to read science, just in case ordinary 0-level English Language wasn't rigorous enough.

It was a different world. They are now talking of bringing the numbering system back in, but back to front. In my day grade 1 was top, 6 was a scraped pass, and 7, 8 & 9 were degrees of failure, just to rub it in. Now 9's going to be an A* or something.
You may be right, Cliff. Alls I remembers is that I did O in 4th form and Add in 5th form. And that I was fine with the former and hopeless with the latter, leading to the conclusion that the latter was a higher level than the former.

Whichever, I'm still wondering about Helen. And this onion bhaji sandwich is nice.
 OECD education report: Test your maths - Crankcase
Is it Helen Geake, complete with trowel, or is it Helen of Troy with some time slipped velocipede from the future? That'll startle the Greeks. AND now I want a sandwich. I hate this place.
Latest Forum Posts