Non-motoring > Door wrapping Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 2

Door wrapping - WillDeBeest
NoFM's Car Wrapping thread prompts me to ask a question I've been mulling for a while. Our early-1970s house still has its drab, brown, hollow internal doors. Unpainted, cheap-looking and just plain ugly. We'd like to replace them with some nice, real, contemporary timber, but there's no budget for that just now.

Last winter, in the course of redecorating one room, we sanded, primed and painted one of the doors. Not a success; the satin finish looks lumpy and the paint hasn't taken well. So I'm wondering about applying a decorative film instead - wrapping, if you like. Has anyone here tried anything like this, and are there any products or techniques I should be aware of?
 Door wrapping - Lygonos
If it looks lumpy with satin paint, it's going to look tres gash in shiny shrinkwrap.
 Door wrapping - Fenlander
Can you do the swap yourself WDB once there's a budget available for the doors? Bought in bulk the white pre-primed 6-panel types are much cheaper than you might expect.

Our house is 1987 and the end of the era for the same doors as yours... well ours are a rich looking flame mahogany finish but still a hollow flat type which I hate. Just 3yrs later all builders in our village had moved onto the white 6-panel doors plus taller moulded skirtings which looks much nicer.

Weirdly when we viewed this place 2yrs ago we found all downstairs doors had been swapped for white 6-panel but upstairs still had the old ones. Now every other job is finished in the house/garden I've planned swapping the upstairs doors for an easter job next year.
Latest Forum Posts