Non-motoring > GB   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 84

GB - MD
Has GB left or have I missed something as usual?

GB - Bromptonaut
IIRC he had a spat with Z over UKIP and flounced. He's deleted his identity and his historic posts appear as though from hyphen (-).

He still posts over in HJ.

GB - VxFan
>> IIRC he had a spat with Z over UKIP and flounced.

At last, something I didn't get the blame for.

GB - Pat
I thought it was me.

He took offence when I told him to 'get over himself':)

Pat

GB - No FM2R
>>He took offence when I told him to 'get over himself':)

See!! I warned you that this bullying was going to drive people from the Forum. But did you listen? Oh no.....
 GB - Pat
I was seriously amazed at that!

Far worse is to be found in any transport yard/transport café and I would hate to be in any lorry drivers shoes who took offence at that remark....they'd never live it down!

New Years Resolution...I will NOT be a bully;)

Pat

GB - Zero
Him and I got into a row over UKIP, he changed his name to "-" and refused to talk to anyone for a month, and now has not visited the forum for 4 weeks.

So yes, he's gone.

GB - Runfer D'Hills
Pity really, I liked him/his posts. His politics weren't mine but I sure learned a lot about cars and especially tyres from him over the years.

I would be pleased if he decided to come back sometime.

GB - MJW1994
Happens all the time on forums, several flounces on sporting websites I visit but often they return.

GB - Stuu
Politics is a tricky subject to discuss on any forum, I think GB would have found it more rewarding discussing it on a political forum, I have found those places far better for getting past the tribal tabloid stuff and exploring political ideas.

My boss once said dont discuss politics, pay or religion at work. He wasnt wrong and you could extend those rules to certain parts of your online life too.

GB - Ambo
>> discussing it on a political forum

Can you suggest some please?

GB - Stuu
>>>> discussing it on a political forum

Can you suggest some please?<<

Conservative Home is pretty much the place for anyone on the Right, not too sure about the Left, best to ask some of the sandal wearing hippies here where they discuss herbal tea :-)

GB - Runfer D'Hills
From "To a Louse" - Robt Burns

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us...

;-)
 GB - Ambo
Noted with thanks.

GB - madf
Conservative Home has some posters who appear to post from an institution for the mentally challenged..

GB - Stuu
>>Conservative Home has some posters who appear to post from an institution for the mentally challenged..<<

Welcome to modern politics.

GB - Roger.
Rather like CIF in the Guardian!
 GB - ChrisM
GB's exit from this forum is sad as his posts were always good to read. I didn't always agree with what said, but that doesn't matter as his views are as valid as anyone else's and can continue to enjoy his posts over on honestjohn.co.uk.

I have to smile though, PDA (aka pat) posted a serious question a few weeks back on how this forum could boost membership and another on whether a name change would do the trick. A small minority of regulars obviously aren't too bothered about C4P's long term survival, but they are ruining the place for the majority who like to visit to see what's going on. Only the brave will risk posting and expressing a view. Politics will always be a hot potato, with no right or wrong answer, just opinions. Perhaps it should have no place on a motoring forum. And neither should bullies!
 GB - RattleandSmoke
What ever happened to JC? I think he left in circumstances, possibly over a spat with Zero :p.

A lot of banter happens on these forums and you have to just not take it seriously.

GB - Bromptonaut

>> A lot of banter happens on these forums and you have to just not take
>> it seriously.

Agree with that. Another tip is to be careful about how much of yourself you expose, particularly if you're sensitive or take easy offence.

GB - Dog
>>Only the brave will risk posting and expressing a view

While the gutless hide behind the curtains dishing out a scowly face once in a while.

GB - ChrisM
Kind of proved my point there Dog.

I've posted an opinion which you disagree with and you have labeled me "gutless". If we were face to face, I'd be more than happy to discuss further, a conversation that could be over in 10 minutes but we would understand each others opinion. But over a forum where you have to choose your words so carefully in case they are taken in a way that wasn't intended (Pat's rib of beef springs to mind), I can't be bothered to spend the rest of the afternoon typing. If that labels me gutless, so be it. Thing is, you are driving away other potential contributors, who are equally gutless.
 GB - Dog
>>I've posted an opinion which you disagree with and you have labeled me "gutless".

>> But over a forum where you have to choose your words so carefully in case they are taken in a way that wasn't intended

What makes you think I was labelling you gutless in particular Chris, you are a 'virtual' newbie as far as I'm concerned, although I see from your profile that you registered some years ago.

I honestly don't mean anyone any arm really, apart from Maltese Lud, and I really, really don't take anything aimed at me personally, to heart, or I'd have been gorn years ago.

GB - Armel Coussine

>> I honestly don't mean anyone any arm really, apart from Maltese Lud

What's he done to inspire your malevolence Perro?

GB - Dog
>>What's he done to inspire your malevolence Perro?

Well, he's a foreigner for starters, he's got more money than me AND he uses them big words and that.

"

"

"

"

I thought you of all people would realise that I'm a cockney wind up merchant by now Sire, I call 'that geezer" Maltese Lud, madf mad f, Dutchie Ducky, Mark Martin, martindevon martine, Meldrew Mildew, zookeeper beekeeper, Skip Skippy, R.P. Pugley, Horace Ontaltwin Teddy-my-love, Cliff Pope Clifford, make Hannon Michael, Runfor D'Humph'Backbridge, VxFan, well, you get the idea :}

In the final analysis I'm just an ignorant fool really, which gives me an idea for a new user name.

GB - Armel Coussine
>> I thought you of all people would realise that I'm a cockney wind up merchant by now

Heh heh... just checking. I know you're the salt of the earth, with that essential dash of larceny... but Lud's a bit thick and may not realise it. Those Malts tend to be a bit cantankerous and over-sensitive about their ethnic roots.

GB - Dog
hehe! - I read that as malt rather than Malt, Sire, being as you're rather fond of the odd lager tipple.

It's my wicked sense of humour that helps me get trough this sexually transmitted disease of a life, spare a thought for Ann though, who has had to put up with me for far too many decades :(

GB - Zero
>> visit to see what's going on. Only the brave will risk posting and expressing a
>> view.

If you express a view you must expect it to be challenged if someone believes it to be wrong or based on a poor foundation.

I suppose because I dared to reply to your post in less than glowing and congratulatory terms, it is bullying.

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 28 Dec 13 at 13:52

GB - No FM2R
>>If you express a view you must expect it to be challenged if someone believes it to be
>>wrong or based on poor foundation.

Absolutely. Not that I noticed GB ever had a problem standing up for his own opinions.

I thought he flounced after a couple of UKIP/Racism posts. Didn't really notice it was Zero, but who pays attention anyway.

I've flounced. Its always pointless and usually regrettable. Finger / water / bucket and all that.

GB - MJW1994
And the flouncee is sometimes the more missed.
 GB - Armel Coussine
Problem with the virtual world is that things can feel personal when obviously they aren't in any real sense. No one 'knows' anyone else personally, they just have an image which may be remote from the truth.

GB - CGNorwich
That's very true and indeed part of the fun of it. To a degree it lets you become somebody else.

GB - Fenlander
>>> they just have an image which may be remote from the truth.

Images in some cases!

GB is missed for his largely well considered posts... couldn't get a Discovery up the mild incline of a transporter ramp to save his life though.

GB - Clk Sec
>>So yes, he's gone.

I doubt it. He's probably had a delivery of classy venetian blinds for his conservatory, and is busy hanging them.

GB - Stuu
I shall try and catch him at home in the new year, tell him you all miss him terribly.

GB - Clk Sec
Will he know you?

GB - Stuu
I should hope so, he has met me in person.
Last edited by: Esse quam haberi on Sat 28 Dec 13 at 16:33

GB - Bromptonaut
>> I should hope so, he has met me in person.

I've lost the plot here - what was your previous 'handle'!!!

GB - Clk Sec
>>I should hope so, he has met me in person.

I thought he might have...

GB - Fenlander
>>>I've lost the plot here - what was your previous 'handle'!!!

It's FoR... interesting that the quotation he choses for a new username is a slogan associated with The Great Imposter (Ferdinand Waldo Demara)

GB - Stuu
>>It's FoR... interesting that the quotation he choses for a new username is a slogan associated with The Great Imposter (Ferdinand Waldo Demara)<<

I chose it as it was my family motto many years ago although I am yet to find out a contemporary meaning for it. Interesting who else used it, but my lot used it first :-)

GB - Cliff Pope
>> Problem with the virtual world is that things can feel personal when obviously they aren't
>> in any real sense. No one 'knows' anyone else personally, they just have an image
>> which may be remote from the truth.
>>
>>
>>

I've argued that point before. This is a soap opera. No one here is real, we are all playing parts. If you pick up the script that asks you to play "Cockney debunker" or "gutless" you can give it a go, or you can trade it in and try a different part.

It's impossible to be offended because of something another character in a soap said to "your" character.
Unless of course you become so identified with your character that you actually begin to believe you are that person.

GB - Westpig
>> I've argued that point before. This is a soap opera. No one here is real,
>> we are all playing parts.

Speak for yourself...I don't do acting and falseness.
 GB - Bromptonaut
>> >> I've argued that point before. This is a soap opera. No one here is
>> real,
>> >> we are all playing parts.
>>
>> Speak for yourself...I don't do acting and falseness.

Me neither. WYSIWYG.

GB - Armel Coussine
>> WYSIWYG.

That isn't entirely true in my case, although I do let quite a lot of it hang out. I do quite a lot of 'acting and falseness' here as elsewhere.

But I do it to amuse, and expect people to know when I'm doing it. Perhaps it isn't always as clear to everyone as it should be, but so what?

There used to be someone here who took it all at face value and accused me of 'grandiosity', a symptom of mental illness. Tsk. Do me a favour.

GB - Cliff Pope
>> >> WYSIWYG.
>>
>> That isn't entirely true in my case, although I do let quite a lot of
>> it hang out. I do quite a lot of 'acting and falseness' here as elsewhere.
>>
>>

No one is ever what they seem. We all subconciously act parts, but strenuously deny it of course. A forum just gives us a bigger, wider stage.

Know then thyself - the hardest thing in the world - and the proper study of mankind is man.

GB - No FM2R
>>Speak for yourself...I don't do acting and falseness.

I think you inevitably do, as we all do. Its just not a negative thing.

You cannot behave towards some bloke in a forum, to your wife, to your children, to your Mother-in-law and to your boss in the same way.

To some extent you must adopt different personae. Now, its not "falseness" in a negative way, but it must exist.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 29 Dec 13 at 14:03

GB - Robin O'Reliant

>> I think you inevitably do, as we all do. Its just not a negative thing.
>>
>> You cannot behave towards some bloke in a forum, to your wife, to your children,
>> to your Mother-in-law and to your boss in the same way.
>>
>> To some extent you must adopt different personae. Now, its not "falseness" in a negative
>> way, but it must exist.
>>

Similar to the personae we adopt at work, often very different to the one we have at home. I've met work colleagues socially and sometimes been amazed at how different they are from work. One factory floor character, a loud and brash practical joker was a meek little mouse well under his wife's thumb when I met them in a pub.

GB - MJW1994
Some people say I'm quite nice in real life....

:-)

GB - Westpig
>> To some extent you must adopt different personae. Now, its not "falseness" in a negative
>> way, but it must exist.
>>

I understand where you're coming from...but it doesn't apply with me. As Bromptonaut said 'what you see is what you get'...that sums me up well and applies on a forum as much as it would do in a pub/ family environment/ work environment, etc.

GB - Manatee
I wish GB hadn't left. I rarely visit HJ though, not enough posts in non-motoring and too many of those are puerile. Offensiveness isn't absent there either.

I hope everybody can tell the difference between disagreeing, being disagreeable, and bullying.

If anybody doesn't, then they need to think a bit more before they press post.

FWIW ChrisM, I didn't think Dog was calling you gutless. Or anybody really.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 28 Dec 13 at 17:24

GB - Roger.
For goodness sake - it's only an internet chat forum,
Why flounce?
BTW - I was born in Malta: should I be a Malteser?

GB - MD
Zeddo can be a pita as I suspect we all can, but he excels at it at times. However he is also a fount of knowledge and seems happy to oblige often which is worth a lot as far as I am concerned. I think at times of boredom we are all capable of saying something just to keep the thing going and yes, it can be wearing. There are only so many times we can discuss winter tyres.

As for GB I feel I had a mild affinity with him and in a crowd of 'us' he would be the first I would shake hands with.

Now back to business...........Grr...........
 GB - Zero
>> Zeddo can be a pita as I suspect we all can, but he excels at
>> it at times.

your name vill alzo be goink into ze little book. Vas is it?

GB - MD
You know what is was. I shall now change it to something like DM.

GB - Runfer D'Hills
>> I shall now change it to something like DM.

Good idea, then if you ever felt the need you could really put the boot in...

;-)

GB - MD
Hey hey. I geddit. In fact I have a Green Pair. Don't ask....

GB - Runfer D'Hills
>>I have a Green Pair

Cool ! ( Really )

;-)

GB - MD
Bought for me in 1996 from Makro by my Mate's wife who I was working for, him not her before you start. She thought it a good idea at the time. They have been in one workshop or other ever since and are in good nick. I've been meaning to put them on e-bay for several years now, but ya know how it is. Well, that's my scuse anyway.

Regards,

DM

GB - Armel Coussine
>> >>I have a Green Pair
>>
>> Cool ! ( Really )
>>
>> ;-)
>>

There was a Scottish soldier
Who went to Waterloo
The wind blew up his petticoat
And showed his half past two
His half past two was dirty
He showed it to the Queen
The Queen was so disgusted
She made him paint it green...

Believe it or not, a childhood memory of a ditty I learned from my mother, who could be extremely vulgar (she came from Malta, dig?).

GB - MD
I love Valletta which most folk I know seem to shun.

GB - Armel Coussine
>> a ditty I learned from my mother,

I forgot to say that she sang it, to the refrain of 'The British Grenadiers' which suits the scansion (are you listening Perro?).

GB - Dog
>>I forgot to say that she sang it, to the refrain of 'The British Grenadiers' which suits the scansion (are you listening Perro?).

I'm all ears Sire.

:}

GB - Armel Coussine
>> Zeddo can be a pita

I was the first to call him that. He's very smart and shrewd, and closer to what I regard as 'right' on major and especially political issues more often than most.

We once had a spat about a trivial issue of sport in which he quickly resorted to very rude, personal, invented insults and had the damn cheek to accuse me of imposing that on him. Alas, the end was sad (to me) as he doesn't talk to me any more although I have begged him to forgive himself for being wrong and getting unnecessarily shirty about it. Happens to us all sometimes, quite often to me as I am hot-tempered and often very rude. But I'm capable of admitting it, saying sorry, making amends.

Others here, just one or two, have asked for a flea in their ear, got it, and subsequently behaved in a forgiving, rational manner.

Perhaps people see random anecdotes and references as boring and irrelevant, but are afraid to say so in case I am then horrid to them. I hope not. I'd hate that.
 GB - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Perhaps people see random anecdotes and references as boring and irrelevant,

Not at all. Keep them coming.

GB - Skip
>> >> Zeddo can be a pita as I suspect we all can, but he excels
>> at
>> >> it at times.
>>
>> your name vill alzo be goink into ze little book. Vas is it?

Don't tell him Martin !

GB - Zero
>> >> >> Zeddo can be a pita as I suspect we all can, but he
>> excels
>> >> at
>> >> >> it at times.
>> >>
>> >> your name vill alzo be goink into ze little book. Vas is it?
>>
>> Don't tell him Martin !

Ach Zo

Martin.

GB - Clk Sec
This would be a less interesting place without the odd pita.

Not that I consider Zero to be such a fellow, you understand.

GB - CGNorwich
"There are only so many times we can discuss winter tyres."

I think I would have to disagree with your there. We' ve barely scratched the surface. ;-)

GB - Zero
>> "There are only so many times we can discuss winter tyres."
>>
>> I think I would have to disagree with your there. We' ve barely scratched the
>> surface. ;-)

They are studded tyres, not winter tyres.

GB - Armel Coussine
>> They are studded tyres

The only really serious winter tyres. Seldom needed in these parts.

Not that I know anything at all about winter tyres. Never bought any that I can remember.

GB - MD
Clearly Zero tolerance on the subject.

GB - MD
'ere. On a similar subject. Wot 'appened to Iffy?

Must get out more. Must get ou......................

GB - bathtub tom
>>'ere. On a similar subject. Wot 'appened to Iffy?

and L'escargot?

GB - Runfer D'Hills
...and Tooslow. He was good value.

GB - Clk Sec
>>...and Tooslow. He was good value.

He was indeed. I've brought his name up on several occasions since he last posted here and VX Fan has emailed him, but unfortunately there was no response.

GB - sooty123
>> 'ere. On a similar subject. Wot 'appened to Iffy?
>>
>> Must get out more. Must get ou......................
>>

I think one of the mods got in touch. He's on break from here I think.

GB - Zero
Iffy is doing 5 years for failing to pay parking fines.
 GB - FocalPoint
"Iffy is doing 5 years for failing to pay parking fines."

I could have sworn this was not the "last post", as it were, in this thread.

Some people getting cold feet about what they put? Draconian moderation? Or my senior moment?

Just wondering whether to contribute to this thread or not...

GB - Runfer D'Hills
No, you are not delirious FP, and I admit to being at least curious.

GB - Zero
"stuff" does have a habit of disappearing from here. The Mods claim not to have done anything to cause it, but it happens.

Blame Dave.

GB - VxFan
>> Blame Dave.

You can this time. I have just deleted a whole load of stuff mainly because of the actions of one forum member - you know who you are.

You'd have thought being a former moderator on another forum he'd have had more sense, but instead, IMHO is just a hypocrite. He detested anyone swearing, but now does at any given opportunity. Likewise anyone who abused the HTML commands, in fact any of the house rules that anyone flouted.

Yes, I could ban him, but he'd only come back time and time again and become a bigger PITA than he already is now.

In short, because of the acts of one individual I'm now going to ask SK if he can disable all HTML commands, along with anything else a certain hypocrite cannot be trusted with. And if you want to blame anyone for that, well I'm sure you can work out who it is.

Vx.

GB - VxFan
Thread also locked.

Just remember, the owner of this website does have future plans - yes I know they're somewhat delayed, but that doesn't mean it won't eventually happen.

If one (or more individuals) should spoil those plans because they cannot follow simple house rules and behave themselves, then it could jepodise future ideas and business opportunies for the website owner. You're here as guests, now please behave like one and not like trolls.
 GB - VxFan
>> I could have sworn this was not the "last post", as it were, in this thread.
>>
>> Some people getting cold feet about what they put? Draconian moderation? Or my senior moment?

Just to clarify, the 'last post' in this thread that you're referring to is still here, but the person replied to Zero's post and not the post that he was actually replying to and quoting from.

I moved it to the correct place in the thread for those handful of people who read the forum in threaded view and not flat view. That way it was in the correct part of the thread, attached to the post that was being replied to.
 GB - car4play
I've just read all the deleted (hidden) stuff.

Why oh why does a conversation have to descend into a bunch of boasting about how to be silly and get away with it? Inhibitions lowered by the festive season maybe? Release of the inner child.
Whatever.
Mods you did the right thing and I am sorry that your time has been taken up doing it. We did want light moderation and by and large this is true.
We could batten down the software more to prevent bypassing swear filters / changing forum aliases all the time etc. but is this really necessary for grown ups? At the end of the day the rules of this forum are there to serve all of you; to make it a more pleasant place to be in.
If these don't suit, anyone here is free to find an alternative forum where abuse, swearing, bullying etc is just fine and everyone pats you on the back and makes you feel great like the kid the playground who everyone thinks is cool. And if there isn't a forum to do that, go and host one of their own.
But this place HAS to retain respect for all including the software limitations. The rest has already been said in the house rules.
Last edited by: car4play on Mon 30 Dec 13 at 10:04
Latest Forum Posts