Non-motoring > Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 24

Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - RattleandSmoke
In my local area there are a lot of bars, restaurants and take aways. Although there are a lot of families on the outskirts of the suburb near the city itself it is now mostly young professionals or yuppies as Delboy would say.

There has been a book shop 'in the village' since about 1982. Next door to that there is a closed down shop, next door to that there is a restaurant. The book shop is right in the middle of the centre of the suburb and to say the least it is a noisy environment. The woman who owns the book shop lives above it and is now going mad to point of going to the local paper about plans for a bar next door. She says it will destroy her life etc......

Now I have very little sympathy here, if you live in a commercial area and one that is trendy and has seen lots of new bars open in the past 15 years surely this is to be expected? There are loads of other bars with flats above them or next to them and nobody else complains.

I feel if the planning was turned down because of all the publicity this woman is trying to get, it is not fair on all the other people who may have had similar objections but didn't go to the papers about it.

Personally I have no feelings either way, if the bar gets permission great but at the same time I wouldn't want to see the bookshop go in favour of yet another bar. The bar says that it will be fully sound proofed and that no noise will leak into the flat next door, but I do agree with the book shop owners comments that no sound proofing will be that good.

As far as I am concerned though, all this is just a case of NIMBY. A lot of her customers are attracted to the area simply because of the huge amount of night life, and all those bars need to go some where.

Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - mikeyb
Times change and things move on.

I understand her desire to keep things the same, but if you live in a commercial area then that's the chance you take
That is exactly my feeling too. The problem this has caused a bit of a stir and even some of my customers have mentioned. I seem to be in a minority in thinking this is nothing more than a typical NIMBY issue.
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - Mike Hannon
You just can't help thinking that there will be a bar there long after the bookshop is history.
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - Zero
Never seen a bookshop with a bar. Hmmmm new business concept maybe?
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - Westpig
>> Never seen a bookshop with a bar. Hmmmm new business concept maybe?
>>

Would they sell the bar...d
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - mikeyb
Seen a few bookshops with coffee shops in though so its just an extension of that idea really.

Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - Cliff Pope
You can have a bar with a railway station in it - can't remember which one now - Liverpool St or Fenchurch St - somewhere there?
There are several bars at Waterloo with a Railway Station in it.
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - Manatee
>> You can have a bar with a railway station in it - can't remember which
>> one now - Liverpool St or Fenchurch St - somewhere there?

Stalybridge is a good one. I was stranded there by a major downpour and a power cut in August 2005. Forced to have 3 pints of Titanic White Star before I could leave.

There's also a bookshop with a railway station in it at 55.40981, -1.69921
There is a rather expensive Irish bar with a little railway station in it in Paris.

Leeds Wetherspoons also features a little railway station
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - Armel Coussine
There used to be an all night pie stall in Waterloo patronised by taxi and minicab drivers and policemen. That had a lot of bars and a railway station piled on top of it. But the bars were usually closed in the middle of the night.
I note with benign approval that no one, not even the young Sheikh, has yet used the ghastly transatlantic baby-language term 'train station'.

:o}
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 29 Dec 13 at 15:31
I was quite surprised how little was open at St Pancras when I had to kip there. There was a costa coffe open and that was it. The main station itself was very cold even for May. I am sure an all night pub there even if it doesn't sell booze after a certain time would do very well. There must be loads of people who have to sleep in the station because the last train to London is far too early for the first Eurostar.

I am not quite sure what this has to with my local bookshop, but they do sell a few books on the railway!
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - Ted

There was another railway station at Waterloo. My book doesn't say if there was a bar. You could probably get a glass of water and I expect hip flasks were common.

goo.gl/maps/V2Jgr

You wouldn't really want to be there, though.

HO
yup that was the entrance to London Necropolis. First (and only stop) Brookwood cemetery. The terminus at Brookwood Cemetery is still extant although the line was lifted many moons ago, and outside Brookwood station, cemetery side, is a very short length of preserved railway line with a plaque.
Forgot about that ghost line. It closed in the 1950s didn't it? I believe the people attending the funeral travelled on the train too.
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - Duncan
>>
>> There was another railway station at Waterloo. My book doesn't say if there was a
>> bar. You could probably get a glass of water and I expect hip flasks were
>> common.
>>
>> goo.gl/maps/V2Jgr
>>
>> You wouldn't really want to be there, though.
>>
>> HO
>>

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Necropolis_railway_station
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - Dog
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brookwood_Coffin_Ticket.jpg

:o(
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - bathtub tom
>> I note with benign approval that no one, not even the young Sheikh, has yet
>> used the ghastly transatlantic baby-language term 'train station'.

Do you therefore refer to bus stations as road stations?

I suppose with Lud's money you don't need to use that method of transport.

;>)
>> Do you therefore refer to bus stations as road stations?

Of course not bt. They are called bus stations, just as railway stations are called railway stations (except by hapless modern nippers who have been taught transatlantic baby language by illiterate prats of teachers).
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - CGNorwich

The correct U.S. term is railroad station and not train station.
 Bar wants to open next to bookshop, shop not happy - legacylad
York station has the York Brewery Tap. I was in there drinking yesterday. The carcass of the revolving door remains, and the bar itself is very impressive.
>> correct U.S. term is railroad station

I know CGN, but I first heard 'train station' in the US, it's common usage there, and that's where I think it comes from. Could be wrong of course. Perhaps it comes from Australia where it is also common usage.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 29 Dec 13 at 23:29
>>
>>
>> The correct U.S. term is railroad station and not train station.

We all know of course that the correct term is now "Transit Stop"
Latest Forum Posts