Non-motoring > Excellent Customer Service - 2013 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 27

Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Clk Sec
I don’t want to be too specific here, but a few months ago a fault developed in a sub £100 Panasonic item that we had bought from John Lewis a couple of years earlier.

Although we had declined their 2 year extended warranty, I thought it might be worthwhile advising JL of what I considered to be a rather unusual problem in an appliance that wasn’t quite two years old. And, more to the point, I thought that we might be offered a modest discount on its replacement.

Well, what excellent customer service we then received from these two companies, as the faulty item was immediately replaced free of charge, followed by a courteous letter and a much appreciated voucher.

Virtual pat on the back for Panasonic and John Lewis.

Any more out there?
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Baz
Member of the family had a Vax with a broken plastic thing on it. Vax sent her a complete new upgraded cleaner free of charge. Can't fault that really.
I've found John lewis to be excellent to deal with and more recently, have only good experiences with Amazon regarding returns and faulty stuff.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Bromptonaut
>> Member of the family had a Vax with a broken plastic thing on it. Vax
>> sent her a complete new upgraded cleaner free of charge. Can't fault that really.
>> I've found John lewis to be excellent to deal with and more recently, have only
>> good experiences with Amazon regarding returns and faulty stuff

Agree re Amazon. Next day delivery failed to appear (they relied on 1st class post FFS). In event of course it turned up next working day but they'd have couriered replacements if order still failed to show.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - mikeyb
Always had good service from JL and Waitrose so will continue to shop there where possible.

I did observe some awful customer service is Sainsburys a few weeks back. I was at the customer service desk as they were checking on the stock of an item for me, and an elderly lady came up to the counter. She was very polite and explained that she had bought 3 shopping bags the day before. They were not the bag for life jobs, but the stronger ones that are a couple of quid each. Anyway, she had noticed that the stitching had come apart on the handle during its first use on one (the others were OK) so she wanted them to replace it.
The lady she spoke to was pretty blunt and refused as the replacement only applied to the 10p bag for life.

The lady explained again that it wasn't worn out but was faulty, but they still refused despite the bag looking "new" and here having yesterdays receipt for it. At this point I interjected and told the staff member she should either replace it or refund it as it was clearly a faulty item. She did then begrudgingly replaced it and the elderly lady was grateful for me helping her explain her position.

I'm sure this was just a staff training issue, but would put me off buying anything more than my baked beans from them.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Westpig
First Direct bank...sub division of HSBC...been with them over 15 years.

Won't bore you with any specifics, but they have been top dollar, consistently so.

Well impressed with them, nothing is too much trouble and the person who answers your call deals with it...oh and there's no infuriating button pressing...and their call centres are 'over here'.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Robin O'Reliant
>> First Direct bank...sub division of HSBC...been with them over 15 years.
>>
>> Won't bore you with any specifics, but they have been top dollar, consistently so.
>>
>>
I'll second that. I was one of their first customers over 20 years ago and I've been more than happy since, they have a great "Can do" attitude and are always helpful and efficient.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - henry k
Good reports on FD from daughter.
Various accounts all linked to an offset mortgage.
Makes life easy and max tax relief.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - mikeyb
>> First Direct bank...sub division of HSBC...been with them over 15 years.
>>
>> Won't bore you with any specifics, but they have been top dollar, consistently so.

Good to know. I moved to them last year for the free hundred quid. Transfer was smooth, but I've had no need to call them.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Westpig
>> >> First Direct bank...sub division of HSBC...

FD don't do children's or business accounts, which is unfortunate.

I had my childrens' accounts with Natwest (as is my business account... too much of a pain to change..and where would I go?). They are dreadful.

I moved the kids account to HSBC, thinking that being the parent company of FD they might be better than Natwest..they are not.

Moved the kids accounts to a local estate agents with a building society desk (Skipton).. so far so good.

I find it interesting that HSBC is as bland and inefficient as the majority, yet its' subsidiary FD is so good... a marked difference...you'd think that if one part of the company can get it so right, it might rub off on the other bit...apparently not.
Last edited by: Westpig on Sun 29 Dec 13 at 12:06
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Robbie34

>> I moved the kids account to HSBC, thinking that being the parent company of FD
>> they might be better than Natwest..they are not.
>>
>> I find it interesting that HSBC is as bland and inefficient as the majority, yet
>> its' subsidiary FD is so good... a marked difference...you'd think that if one part of
>> the company can get it so right, it might rub off on the other bit...apparently
>> not.

I have been with HSBC since before I was at university - Midland then - and I have found them to be brilliant. Had great service from them. Only criticism is the Indian call centre.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Roger.
>> >> First Direct bank...sub division of HSBC...been with them over 15 years.
>> >>
>> >> Won't bore you with any specifics, but they have been top dollar, consistently so.
>>
>>
>> Good to know. I moved to them last year for the free hundred quid. Transfer
>> was smooth, but I've had no need to call them.
I moved to FD earlier this year for the £125 vis MSE site,
Now looking to leave within a year for another £125.
Possibly to Halifax for £100 and a fiver a month.
I don't need anything but a basic bank account, so don't need to speak to a bank.

Helps towards paying of my 0% credit card with Tesco!
Last edited by: Roger on Sun 29 Dec 13 at 12:35
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - MD
I implore you to buy your Baked Beans from Lidl and use their own brand. Campo Largo to be precise. 4 tins for one Pound and they far outshine either Heinz or Crosse and Blackwell.

I generally despise Supermarkets with a passion, Sains more than Tesc and I am slowly becoming a Lidl Groupie.

Mrs. Martin bought all of the Xmas Naughty bits there and they were and are still, quite delicious.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Zero
>> I implore you to buy your Baked Beans from Lidl and use their own brand.
>> Campo Largo to be precise. 4 tins for one Pound and they far outshine either
>> Heinz or Crosse and Blackwell.

I am a baked bean aficionado, (eat them cold from the tin) with HP being the best beans of all time before their demise, now Cross and Blackwell head up the list. On your recommendation I am going to try the Lidl BB, and if they fail to make the grade, I am going to hunt you down with a passion and insert a 4 pack sideways with meaning.

Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - BiggerBadderDave
Heinz Baked Beans in Poland cost about 90p a tin in Tesco. No thanks.

In Lidl they sell Hatherwood Baked Beans at about 40p a tin. Yum yum. Good quality beans, close to Heinz.

Tesco has their own brand but I can't eat them, they're runny and tasteless and you need to open them with a tin opener.

Always keep a spoon in an opened tin in the fridge. I enjoy a few cold spoonfuls when I'm searching for a snack.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - MD
>> >> I implore you to buy your Baked Beans from Lidl and use their own
>> brand.
>> >> Campo Largo to be precise. 4 tins for one Pound and they far outshine
>> either
>> >> Heinz or Crosse and Blackwell.
>>
>> I am a baked bean aficionado, (eat them cold from the tin) with HP being
>> the best beans of all time before their demise, now Cross and Blackwell head up
>> the list. On your recommendation I am going to try the Lidl BB, and if
>> they fail to make the grade, I am going to hunt you down with a
>> passion and insert a 4 pack sideways with meaning.
>>
I too eat them cold from the tin accompanied by fresh white heavily buttered bread. Initially you may think that they are slightly sweet, but they have less sugar than C&Blackwell. I reverted to C&B this morning as I have 2-3 tins left, but they just aren't a patch on Campo Largo.

As for your kind offer just call before you arrive and I will adopt the position. Wouldn't want you hanging around too long.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - NortonES2
We concoct our own from time to time: black treacle, garlic, bacon etc. Bean-feast al la King George at Woolwich arsenal. Downside is it takes about 4 hours plus soaking beans overnight:)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 30 Dec 13 at 11:22
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - henry k
>>Always had good service from JL and Waitrose so will continue to shop there where possible.
>>
Better sound system in Waitrose.

gloria.tv/?media=460713
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - NortonES2
Brought a smile to some faces! Near Covent Garden?
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Dog
Bought a Humax HDR (from humaxdirect) worked purrfectly but, I could hear the cooling fan running, slightly.

Got on to Humax and whinged, they sent me a brand new unit AND paid for the postage both ways.

Amazon: bought a pair of Spear and Jackson sack a'tours, they came apart after 4 months of HEAVY use
(I could have screwed em back together but) got on to Amazon and whinged, they sent me a brand new pair
AND paid for the postage both ways.

A Whinger.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - MJW1994
JL is great, both my Mum and woman friend shop on-line and then you can collect from Waitrose for no extra fee. It saves on having to be in the house and an opportunity to food shop at the same time.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - scot22
Roger - I recently moved to Halifax £100 etc. Delighted by easy and quick transfer : very happy with all aspects so far.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - BobbyG
NPower

nah, only joking.......
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - BobbyG
From a motoring point of view, was very impressed with Seat and their customer service when my gearbox went bang (through no fault of theirs).

They even supplied free of charge the air con pipe that was damaged even though the car was 5.5 years old.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - VxFan
>> NPower

Never had a problem with them. Always been helpful on the phone. Cheapest tariff in my area too.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Dog
>>Never had a problem with them.

ditto, bin wivvam 2.5 years now.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Stuu
I would nominate the Ssangyong dealer that sold my sister her Rodius for being man enough to take a financial hit - her air con has been 'fixed' twice and didnt last so they did a test with a dye and it is leaking our of every seal going so they are now paying to have the whole lot replaced, 6 months after she bought it and at 6 years old. Dont know what it will cost but I wouldnt imagine it is cheap, there were a few mechanical bits to replace too.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2013 - Skip
>> >> NPower
>>
>> Never had a problem with them. Always been helpful on the phone. Cheapest tariff in
>> my area too.
>>

Not my experience with them unfortunately. I haven't got the time or energy to go through it all now. Have had to swap suppliers as N Power have proved totally incapable and incompetent at resolving what started as a simple error on their part.
 Excellent Customer Service - 2014 Ironmongery Dir - sherlock47
At 15.20 I discovered that Ironmongery Direct would accept next day delivery orders upto 15.30 on a Sunday. I quickly compiled the order, enter card details, all done by 15,28. BUT the screen then hung on verifying bank details. !5.32 came and went.

So I rang the order line, answered immediately on a Sunday, ( lessons there for some multi-nationals!). Very helpful guy who explained the cut off was a hard cut off time as the couriers were there, and ready to go. I told him that he would make my day and get lots of Brownie Points if he could skip down to the warehouse and just get my order squeezed in. No can do, sackable offence without steel toecaps. However, he said he had an idea, just hang on. He made a phone call and confirmed that the warehouse would pick it straight away and hold the courier. All for a £21 order of those hard to get items.

Well done for going the extra mile on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/ great for impossible items.

Latest Forum Posts