Non-motoring > All checks done (2) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 5

All checks done (2) - Manatee
The boss went to check her emails last night on "her" computer, a relatively recent Acer/E-machines desktop.

Boss: "There's something wrong with this computer. It won't come on".

Me (looking over her shoulder): "It looks to be on to me. The big green light's on, and I can hear the disc working. But there's no light on the monitor. I think the monitor's popped, or has no power to it."

Boss (impatiently): "No! The screen comes on with the computer! It must be the computer. Look - (tapping keys) - nothing's happening!"

Me: "Could still be what I just said."

Boss: "No! I've told you! The screen won't come on unless the computer's on!"

Me: "And if the screen's not working, how do you know whether the computer's on?"

Boss: "But I've just told you! The screen won't come on unless the computer's on!"

(Repeat the last exchange three or four times)

This morning I had a look and the energy saving surge strip has failed in some way. The first socket has the PC plugged in, and also switches the other sockets according to whether the PC is on or off. None of them is getting any power.

Ordered another, similar. r.ebay.com/xGJ14I

Was an apology made? Yes, by me for being ratty!

All checks done (2) - devonite
Similar story here couple of years ago when combi wouldn,t fire up, rather than wait for me to check it first, the hostess called out an engineer, £60 call-out fee, an hour spent checking things, came up with conclusion that the main PCB had blown and it would cost about £350 for replacement. So she ordered it!!
Later when I got in, I changed the fuse in the 13amp plug...........................
 All checks done (2) - R.P.
At least I checked the fuse and swapped it out twice on my fandango...it did occur to test the fuse with a 9 v battery and the tip of my tongue...should have !
 All checks done (2) - Runfer D'Hills
You want to be careful sending electric current through your fandango Rob. I'm no expert but y'know, can't be doing you any good like...
 All checks done (2) - Zero
They do strange things in Wales in the search for excitement......
 All checks done (2) - RattleandSmoke
I hate those so called power saving strips, the amount of times I have been called out to computer power issues that turned out to be a faulty power strip is beyond a joke. They just assume because everything else is working off it that it won;'t be that and it must be the computer.

My dad asked me to look at his laptop yesterday as it blew up. E.g he was typing then just instantly switched off. I knew what it was without even looking, the power cable come loose so the battery simply went flat.
Latest Forum Posts