Non-motoring > So been there... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 92

So been there... - Runfer D'Hills
I can so relate to this poor guy's experience. I've been stuck next to creatures like this on many occasions...

tinyurl.com/o4pp87n
 So been there... - Skip
. I've been stuck next to creatures
>> like this on many occasions...
>

How rude !
True though, on a trip to the States last month the woman next to me was actually flowing into my lap.
 So been there... - No FM2R
I'm 6ft, 12.5st and I should be allowed to carry more baggage than a 20st person and should pay for more legroom than a 5ft person.

Except that immediately American fat people scream about discrimination. As would tall people, no doubt.

A flight next to an obese person is a truly obnoxious and painful experience.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 1 Jan 14 at 19:08
 So been there... - Armel Coussine
I can remember a few fellow passengers who were selfish and ill-mannered about space, but I've never had to sit next to a stinking behemoth.

However I did once have trouble passing, on quite a wide pavement, an elephantine couple walking side by side at a slow, stately pace and unaware of or indifferent to the needs of anyone who wanted to pass. One longs for one of those compressed air sirens, or an army thunderflash, at such moments, if only to check experimentally on the truth of the allegation that elephants can't jump.

Ordinary people are becoming more and more self-important these days. I blame the media and the internet. And them of course.
 So been there... - borasport
Me too
about 18 months ago we were coming home from Dalaman and in the air conditioned evening airport there was a large guy whose upper garments were dripping with sweat even while he was just sitting down
guess who had the aisle seat next to me on the flight home ?
table down, head on table fast asleep as soon as we were off the runway
snoring like god knows what before we leftb turkish airspace all the way back to manchester
 So been there... - Ian (Cape Town)
I saw the article this morning, and it seems crazy to me.

To quote: "an exit row seat"; "paying the additional $25 for an emergency seat"

Now, back in my frequent-flyer days, when I was on the CT-JHB at least twice a month, I'd always want those over-wing exit seats, for the extra leg room, as well as the fact you know you aren't going to get a screaming infant next to you.
Part of 'the deal' is that, in the event of an emergency, I'd be the one to have to wrestle the emergency hatch open. The cabin crew would always come and ask 'are you prepared to do this in the event of an emergency'.
Yep. Seems fair to me.

So it seems that this opportunist bunch of aviation crooks are selling these seats at a premium... and then NOT thinking that maybe the fat knackers who buy them will be more a hindrance than a help should there be an emergency.

So been there... - Zero

>> So it seems that this opportunist bunch of aviation crooks are selling these seats at
>> a premium... and then NOT thinking that maybe the fat knackers who buy them will
>> be more a hindrance than a help should there be an emergency.

should the door blow out mid flight, fatty will get sucked into the gap and reseal it.
 So been there... - Manatee
They are only supposed to put fully fit and mobile people in those exit rows regardless of whether they book them for a fee or not - I think I might have included that in my complaint.
 So been there... - bathtub tom
Been there, done that and insisted the arm rest was put down between us. I'm not letting them share my seat!
Re: Armrest - good move.

Actually if one just avoids being "British" about it, then resolution is normally fairly possible.

i.e. "Excuse me, the man next to me is so fat he is taking half of my seat and I am unable to sit safely. What will you do about this to protect my safety and avoid liability for any resulting injury?"

You just have to the balls to say it. (and yes, I have).
 So been there... - Ted

I got placed next to Herr Grossmunter and his over chubby wife in the theatre once. It was a charity show by the Coronation St lot, our friend was in it so we were obliged to go. Needless to say, I didn't want to.

They were already in place. He was already flowing into my seat and had commandeered the armrest. He smelled of Eau de Crotch and had a face like a plasterer's radio. Every time something happened on stage both of them leapt up whooping and waving their arms in the air, spreading the perfume around, then flumping back onto their seats...and half of me !

The crunch point came at half time when sandwiches and flasks came out with lots of noisy chomping and whoofling....like pigs looking for truffles !

I went to the bar............I never came back, preferring to stand at the rear, given that I couldn't escape the event.

Incidentally, Sue Nichols, alias Audrey Roberts, has the skinniest legs I've ever seen on a grown adult. The lime green lycra leotard didn't help. I was praying she didn't fall during her tap dance and break something !

HO
On a lighter (heavier?) note, anyone remember this gem...?

tinyurl.com/om36k72

and Samoan air seem to have solved the problem...

www.samoaair.ws/index.php/booking-2/pay-by-weight
 So been there... - Pat
We now know, by default, those who haven't posted on this thread all weigh more than 10 stone wringing wet.

Here's to us, and our love of good food!

Happy New Year.

Pat
 So been there... - bathtub tom
>>We now know, by default, those who haven't posted on this thread all weigh more than 10 stone wringing wet.

We know we shouldn't ask a lady her weight, so what do your scales tell us Pat?

;>)
 So been there... - Zero
I am overweight. (about 2 or 3 stone) - A fair bit. Because I like my good food. But I am not a lardass who spills over into other seats and block corridors or pavements, waddling down the road like a bag of olive oil.

Really really fat people are fat because they are pigs and eat too much, and I object to my national health pound being spent on them or any special provision made for them.

All they have to do is stop eating so much.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 10:02
 So been there... - VxFan
I'm overweight, always have been, always will. Zero, No FM2R, rtj70 (and anyone else who's met me) can vouch for that.

I don't smell like a stinking behemoth either. No one has ever complained about body odour to me. Yes, I sweat in summer, but doesn't everybody? There is a difference between clean sweat (which doesn't smell) and 2 or 3 day old sweat (that does). Anyone that smells either has a medical problem (which isn't always weight related) or they just don't bother washing regularly.

I don't eat too much either, just the wrong things and at the wrong time - usually late at night.

If it bothers anyone else, then tough. Try judging the book past its cover.

Do I care. Er no. If everyone was the same, then life would be boring.

Oh, and finally - media.boreme.com/post_media/2003/i_lard.jpg

So been there... - madf
When you get to my age there are two types of friends who survive with you:
-those who have been fit/active all their life: and weigh not much more than they did when 21
-those who are obese.

The former are still active despite the odd joint replacement/op/cancer treatment. The latter - those that survive that is - are incapable of any movement except a shuffle to car /seat, and have an abysmal quality of life. If they were a dog, they would be put down..
 So been there... - Mike Hannon
14st 10lb, 6ft 1in. Our local bar proprietor calls me (because his young son did once) Monsieur le Costaud - Mr Sturdy.

I was once snored at by a gigantic American lardass sitting opposite me on the Eurostar, all the way from Paris to Waterloo. I wonder if he remembered what Europe actually looked like?
 So been there... - CGNorwich
I think it's true to say that there is virtually no health problem that won't be made a lot worse by being overweight - even two or three stones is an awful extra lot of strain put on the heart, circulation, knee joints etc. and as you become older the ability to deal with that extra weight becomes more and more difficult.

It's easy to think that somehow the very obese are different from the simply overweight but they're not. They're just further down the overeating trail. Easy to go that way but very, very hard to get back.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 10:54
 So been there... - sooty123

>>
>> It's easy to think that somehow the very obese are different from the simply overweight
>> but they're not. They're just further down the overeating trail. Easy to go that way
>> but very, very hard to get back.
>>

I agree an odd attitude. What next; I'm obese but at least I'm not morbidly obese?
 So been there... - henry k
>>Yes, I sweat in summer, but doesn't everybody?
>> There is a difference between clean sweat (which doesn't smell) and 2 or 3 day old sweat (that does)
>>. Anyone that smells either has a medical problem (which isn't always weight related) or they just don't bother washing regularly.
>>

Back in 2013 I saw a part of a TV program that explored sweating etc.
The lady " expert" went along a line of folks and niffed their arm pits prior to grading them.
I was not surprised that Chinese / Japanese had the least odour.

What really surprised me was her statement that " folks with hard ear wax have lower body odour". Some folks are wasting money using deodorant as they do not need it.

www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=people-without-underarm-protection

Deodorant smells far worse than sweat, especially in man-made fibre clothes.

I have always sweated quite a lot, not always just from abject terror.

When I've been idle and need a bath, I try not to crowd people. Fair's fair.

I'm a bit overweight and neither fit nor very eagerly active.
 So been there... - Westpig
>>
>> Oh, and finally - media.boreme.com/post_media/2003/i_lard.jpg

You don't look that big VX?
 So been there... - Bromptonaut
>> Really really fat people are fat because they are pigs and eat too much, and
>> I object to my national health pound being spent on them or any special provision
>> made for them.
>>
>>
>> All they have to do is stop eating so much.

Maybe true for some Z but as I've said before there are eating disorders that result in overeating. Sure some are just gluttons with poor diet in the US sense. In others there's an underlying psychology:

www.b-eat.co.uk/get-help/about-eating-disorders/types-of-eating-disorder1/

EDIT - Before you go in with both boots think about why someone might know this stuff.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 12:39
 So been there... - sooty123
Geniune question, how much is overeating, how much a disorder of those overweight?
 So been there... - madf
If obesity is caused by eating disorders, how come obesity is rising?

More disorders? Or the availability of food?

Or are eating disorders - mainly obesity - the result of cheap food?

Since obesity was not a problem in WW2 due to rationing, I suggest food availability causes eating disorders..
 So been there... - Zero

>> Since obesity was not a problem in WW2 due to rationing,

malnourishment was tho.
 So been there... - Cliff Pope
Humans are only human - they can be tempted by temptation.

But failure to resist temptation isn't a disorder. It's just a fancy name for succumbing to a good old deadly sin. In this case gluttony.
>> If obesity is caused by eating disorders, how come obesity is rising?
>>
>> More disorders? Or the availability of food?
>>
>> Or are eating disorders - mainly obesity - the result of cheap food?

I'm not for a minute saying that there are not plenty of obese people for whom the issue is too much food and too little exercise. I took exception to Z's inference that ALL obesity was gluttony and easily solved.

Eating disorders are far more complex than he or you suggest.
 So been there... - Zero
>> Eating disorders are far more complex than he or you suggest.

But the cure isn't.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 21:17
>> But the cure isn't.

It is if you have binge eating disorder.

www.b-eat.co.uk/get-help/about-eating-disorders/types-of-eating-disorder1/binge-eating-disorder/

Like addiction to drink or cigs willpower alone will not conquer.

Other disorders with complex underlying psychology are also available.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 21:18
 So been there... - Zero

>> Maybe true for some Z but as I've said before there are eating disorders that
>> result in overeating. Sure some are just gluttons with poor diet in the US sense.
>> In others there's an underlying psychology:

Maybe, but take someone so fat they are disabled and can't get out to buy food. Who feeds them? They are not working, so where is the huge amount of money coming from to feed them?

The state should absolve itself of all responsibility for their welfare until they are of a more normal weight. If its a mental health issue they should be locked up and given an enforced diet.

'Larger cells' needed as Zero's Fatty Bill bites. £5bn earmarked for prison expansion programme

Internet falls silent, taxi driver and police numbers well below strength as government fatbusters ravage Britain
 So been there... - BiggerBadderDave
"Maybe, but take someone so fat they are disabled and can't get out to buy food. Who feeds them?"

I feed one. It's downstairs right now sucking chicken bones and raiding my fridge. It's called a blubber-in-law.

"They are not working, so where is the huge amount of money coming from to feed them?"

It comes from me working 24/7.
I just had a go at the BMI index thing on the NHS site and discovered two things;

at a BMI of 23.9 apparantly I am a "Healthy Weight"

What is more surprising is that the weight range for a male of my age is 9st 10lb to 13st 3lb; so I am 8lb less than the "maximum" and 3st more than the minimum!

Can you imagine someone 9st 10lb and 6ft? How can that be healthy where 13st 3lb cannot be?

For most people [not all] being overweight is simply a matter of bad eating habits. And a short term diet doesn't fix those anymore than cutting down on cigarettes for a month helps you give up smoking.
>> Can you imagine someone 9st 10lb and 6ft? How can that be healthy where 13st
>> 3lb cannot be?

I'm around 5 feet nine and a bit over 9st and pretty skinny so a six footer under 10st is going to be a real bean pole.

OTOH build can make a huge difference. The Lad is much same height as me but considerably broader in shoulders etc. He fills out jeans in a way I couldn't even at his age. He's a good stone and a bit heavier though he loses some of that in Uni term time as he cooks a meal when he's ready to eat - perhaps 17:00. At home he than needs a snack to fill in the gap until EM at 19:00.
I'm certainly not skinny either. I'm 6' tall, 13.5 stones, 42" chest and a 34" waist and have been for the last 35 years.

I love food too and eat very well. I've also taken a little excercise (usually a swim or, if that's not practical, some press ups/sit ups, or just a dog walk ) most days in life and a lot a couple of times a week. If I find my belt getting a bit tight I simply cut back a bit on the obvious things for a week or so until it isn't.

Pretty straightforward really. Never "dieted" as such.

Just to be clear though, I don't really care what size anyone else is, that's up to them, nor do I judge them on it, I just don't want them spilling over on to me when I'm on an aeroplane is all. The seats are small enough without having to share them with overflowed bits of other people.

What, how much and indeed how often others eat or don't excercise is their affair. I am not and have no aspirations to be their conscience or councellor.

So been there... - Zero
How about having a "seat" gauge at checkin? Like the cabin bag one?

You don't fit in the seat without spilling over the armrests you don't fly.
 So been there... - Old Navy
I don't believe there was an obesity problem during WW2 when there was food rationing, in fact the general population were at their fittest.

Is obesity just a self discipline complaint?
>> I don't believe there was an obesity problem during WW2 when there was food rationing,
>> in fact the general population were at their fittest.
>>
>> Is obesity just a self discipline complaint?

The nation as whole was better fed during rationing than before and quite possibly after.

Obesity isn't a one cause complaint. Of course self discipline (or lack of it) is one cause. In my Father's case it was too many business lunches in the era before the 'healthy option'.

Another is ignorance and the mendacious profit maximisation of food producers and the supermarkets - products maxed out on fat and sugar in their cheapest forms. And of course low incomes and ignorance. If you have to buy the cheapest food then unless you have the knowledge to cook properly (not a big part of school these days) you end up on cheap sausages, burgers etc.

Activists like the blogger Jack Monroe try and spread the message of how to eat well on a low budget but it's an uphill battle.
 So been there... - Pat
Random thoughts: Shouldn't the airline provide bigger seats as normal seats? Surely we've proved that most 'normal women are a size 14/16 not a stick thing size 6/8 and that goes for men too.

Where's Lygonos when I need him?

There is the not insignificant matter of metabolism.

Some slim people can eat forever and not exercise but stay slim, others need to dream of pork crackling and pork pie to put on a half a stone.

Pat
>> I don't believe there was an obesity problem during WW2.

You have a very valid point. I've watched The Dambusters, 633 Squadron, Memphis Belle, Battle of Britain and Twelve O'Clock High etc many times, and can't remember seeing one wobble-bottomed fatty in any of the aircraft.
 So been there... - madf
You just need to walk round Asda and look at the trollies. There are lots of grossly fat people with trollies full of Cola (not diet, full sugar) , bread and pies.>

The solution for many is simple. And poor they may be but drinking 12 bottles of Cola a week is hardly cheap...

That's not an eating disorder.. it's ignoring any advice and just gorging on sugar and fat inducing meals..

Darwinism in action I assume.
>> You just need to walk round Asda and look at the trollies. There are lots
>> of grossly fat people with trollies full of Cola (not diet, full sugar) , bread
>> and pies.>
>>
>> The solution for many is simple. And poor they may be but drinking 12 bottles
>> of Cola a week is hardly cheap...
>>
>> That's not an eating disorder.. it's ignoring any advice and just gorging on sugar and
>> fat inducing meals..
>>
>> Darwinism in action I assume.
>>

No-one who has a trolley full of anything is "poor". In fact most beggars have a good income from benefits and donations. As an impoverished pensioner they should give me money!

Education is required, how easy is it to peel a few vegies and spuds, chuck them in a pot with some water and to flash fry some meat or fish?
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 16:28
>> trollies full of Cola (not diet, full sugar) , bread and pies.>

Once in a blue moon I will have a Coca- or Pepsi-Cola (no other brand), but I would have to be dying of thirst to willingly drink a 'slimline' one. Sugar substitutes taste so much worse than the real thing that I find it hard to believe they are less harmful.

Similarly, I never ever buy a low-fat version of anything unless desperate and no choice. Why get something inferior and worse-tasting just for ideological reasons? People are a bunch of bleating sheep if you ask me.

I don't like pork pies much any more. One does get more fastidious with age and they seem greasy and tasteless to me these days.

The middle daughter cooked a nice lump of ham last night with that crust made of treacle and mustard and cloves stuck in it. Yum yum! There was a sort of thin sauce made from Coca-cola which she said was a traditional US southern thing, like the ham. The sauce was only so-so but it enabled me to eat half a baked potato.
Boiling the ham in a bottle or two of cider works wonderfully, Armel.
But treacle? do you not mean golden syrup?
>> do you not mean golden syrup?

No, she used black treacle. Surely no longer banned in today's SA?

:o}
Nope, still available, and thanks - it is something I must try next time I do gammon.
(I use golden syrup, as opposed to honey, as SWMBO is allergic to honey - hence my question).

So been there... - Alanovich

>> Why get something inferior and worse-tasting just for ideological reasons?

Er, health reasons? Granted, some "diet" and "low fat" products are a con, but some are OK. And not always inferior tasting. Depends on one's tolerance for sweetness and fatty/creaminess I suppose. It's quite all right to favour skimmed over full fat milk for taste reasons, for instance.
>> It's quite all right to favour skimmed over full fat milk for taste reasons, for instance.

It may be all right to favour green top, although I can't believe anyone thinks it tastes better than proper milk. I loathe it myself, ruins my morning coffee.
>> I loathe it myself, ruins my morning coffee.
>>

And that's how I feel about full fat. Gold top? Double barf. Actually prefer soya milk but needs must when in less enlightened households/establishments.

Vive la difference, Monsieur.
>> Vive la difference, Monsieur.

Indeed. Some people must like these ghastly concoctions or they wouldn't be available.

Soya milk! My God! Are you sure you're all right?
No.
I like and prefer Diet Coke to the leaded version. I like to drink it with fish and chips which I know is a misnomer but there you go. My sister in law boiled a ham in coke last year. Utterly inedible in my opinion. Shame, because I like a bit of ham normally.
 So been there... - Zero
I smear my ham with Dijon mustard, then paste a layer of brown sugar to the mustard and cook.
 So been there... - Skip
>> I like and prefer Diet Coke to the leaded version. I like to drink it
>> with fish and chips which I know is a misnomer but there you go.

I prefer the taste of Diet Coke to the full fat version. The only problem is that I seem to wee out 4 times as much of it as I consume !
>> You just need to walk round Asda and look at the trollies. There are lots
>> of grossly fat people with trollies full of Cola (not diet, full sugar) , bread
>> and pies.>
>>
>> The solution for many is simple. And poor they may be but drinking 12 bottles
>> of Cola a week is hardly cheap...
>>
>> That's not an eating disorder.. it's ignoring any advice and just gorging on sugar and
>> fat inducing meals..
>>
>> Darwinism in action I assume.

Not really, if they breed before they kark it.

I put on 2kg somehow between October and this week (bad habits, two weeks away from home, Christmas pig out) but I'm still 10kg lighter than I was 2-3 years ago. I'll knock it off again with what is essentially calorie counting.

www.myfitnesspal.com/

It works. Very very accurately for me. My "maintenance level" is about 2300 cals a day. If I target 1800 I'll lose 1lb a week. I don't worry about the odd day when I bust it - it follows that I can eat 2300 and it doesn't actually increase my weight, it just delays my weight loss by a day.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 19:00
 So been there... - Zero
>> >> I don't believe there was an obesity problem during WW2.
>>
>> You have a very valid point. I've watched The Dambusters, 633 Squadron, Memphis Belle, Battle
>> of Britain and Twelve O'Clock High etc many times, and can't remember seeing one wobble-bottomed
>> fatty in any of the aircraft.
>>

Sorry to say this but you are quite wrong. The USAF had a fat boy on a certain Boeing B-29 Superfortress
 So been there... - borasport
>> Sorry to say this but you are quite wrong. The USAF had a fat boy
>> on a certain Boeing B-29 Superfortress
>>

Fat Man, it says here

www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=1016

either way up, not associated with a long and healthy life, I dont think.....
Last edited by: borasport on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 16:53
 So been there... - Robin O'Reliant
The more obese people I see the better I like it. Makes me feel quite smug at 6' and 10.5 stone.
 So been there... - Zero
>> The more obese people I see the better I like it. Makes me feel quite
>> smug at 6' and 10.5 stone.

Tie a ring on your head and call you Fishing Rod.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 16:57
 So been there... - Zero
>> >> Sorry to say this but you are quite wrong. The USAF had a fat
>> boy
>> >> on a certain Boeing B-29 Superfortress
>> >>
>>
>> Fat Man, it says here
>>
>> www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=1016
>>
>> either way up, not associated with a long and healthy life, I dont think.....

Got my Fat Man and Tall Boy mixed up I think!
That must be a fake USAF Museum site, Zero is never wrong. :-)
 So been there... - BiggerBadderDave
I enjoy a daily Zero rammed down my throat. I gave up proper coca cola a few years ago.
I so need a mind bleach now...
 So been there... - RattleandSmoke
I have given up coke and sugar drinks for the new year. I am not sure how long it will last or how long I will cope but this more than anything is the reason I am getting fat.

Certainly seems odd having a bottle of water instead of coca-cola in the cup holder.

I am not giving up beer but I am cutting back.
 So been there... - WillDeBeest
Rats, I'd use the time away from sugar drinks to get used to drinking water with meals - and when you just fancy something to drink. That's the true alternative, not the aspartame pops. Then you can allow yourself a full-fat Coke once in a while without worrying. if it's only one a fortnight, there's no need for a sugar-free alternative.

Me? I look like the bloke on the train in the Microsoft Surface advert. Not the speaker, the one he sits next to. On a plane I'm all shoulders, knees and elbows, and I do my best to keep them to myself, but it ain't always easy when a seat is 17 inches wide and my shoulders measure 23. I'm a connoisseur of exit rows and bulkheads, and know the very best place to sit (in Economy) in a Malaysia Airlines A380. And it peeves me mightily when airlines sell the seats I can actually fit in (but not sleep in - that would be too much to ask) to midgets and fatties.

I have once - on KLM - paid more for an exit row, which my employer reimbursed. Usually I've got the desired result by turning up early and looming in my best BFG way over the checkin desk. Even so, do I enjoy long flights? No.
 So been there... - RattleandSmoke
I am really fat or anything and I do try and go on 3 mile walks a day when I can. I just eat far too much sugar and worried about getting diabetes etc at the same time I am not going to give up my life style completely and become a clean living vegan (Chorltonite - a term Ted will get).

I already have a few symptoms of diabetes but my blood sugar levels are always within an acceptable range so I put them down to anxiety which I know I do suffer from.
I am [not] really fat or anything...

Nor should you be at - what are you, 31? But you've mentioned a belly, and if you're fatter now than you were at 26, or 21, then the time to stop that trend is now. Cut out the empty sugar calories and if you're walking that much, your activity level ought to take care of the rest.
12 years ago I had a lower back injury that prevented me from driving for six weeks. Walking helped with the pain, so Mrs Beest found me numerous walkable 'missions' that kept me on my feet all day. By the time the disc sorted itself (as they usually do) I was wondering whose trousers I was wearing.
Sugary stuff is a disaster if you're trying to manage weight. And also a trap. Check out the sugar levels in 'low fat' yogurts and 'healthy' cereal bars.

Beer is my nemesis. I don't drink vast amounts but I like it far too much.
I have to say Sheikha that you would make a good analysand being intelligent, articulate and able to take yourself and your problems seriously without denying or disguising them (or some of them anyway).

Psychoanalysis would do you a lot of good too if it worked (it doesn't always, shrink/patient chemistry is very iffy). Finding the more fundamental reasons for yr anxiety problem would almost certainly reduce it and make your life a bit easier.

I'm not teasing or trying to wind you up either. Unfortunately though analysis is very expensive usually, takes a lot of time and 'commitment', and is hard to arrange. There's precious little available on the NHS, more's the pity.
 So been there... - nice but dim
It might have been mentioned already, tonight at 8PM on CH5 - Too fat to fly
I'm slightly overweight (5'10" and 12st) but with the BMI range of normal.
 So been there... - Alastairw
We could be twins by the sound of it nbd. Personally I have drawn a (waist) line in the sand at 34inches. When my trousers feel too snug I ease off the pies for a few weeks. It isn't rocket science.
Ha funny you say that, I bought a new pair of trousers in 34 size, dropped from a 36 over last 6 months.
 So been there... - Robin O'Reliant
>> I am really fat or anything and I do try and go on 3 mile
>> walks a day when I can. I just eat far too much sugar
>>

It's not just your weight you should worry about over sugar, your teeth won't thank you for it either.
>> weight range for a male of my age is 9st 10lb to 13st 3lb; so I am 8lb less than the "maximum" and 3st more than the minimum!

>> Can you imagine someone 9st 10lb and 6ft? How can that be healthy where 13st 3lb cannot be?

S'them effnic stick insect geezers in Smarlia and Sahf Sudan innit?

Wreak 'avoc with the figures, them effnics. Don't you worry mate! S'us what's normal, not vem innit.
 So been there... - Westpig
I am the perfect weight for my height..if I was 7'2"
 So been there... - Fullchat
CH5 now dealing with lardy passengers.

'Too fat to fly'.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 20:09
 So been there... - VxFan
Warning, contains swearing and nudity.

www.avaruusmies.com/jokes-root/img/1.jpg

So been there... - MD
Tch Tch. All fings in moderashun.
 So been there... - MJW1994
I got a bit podgy at 16 but Mum stopped buying cakes, buscuits and other sugary things and the pounds fell off. Sugary things don't appeal to me now, I try only to snack on fruit and get lots of exercise.
from Anthony Bourdain:

Dream sequence: I'm on a packed commuter flight and we're going down for a forced landing in a Midwestern cornfield. Engine one is on fire, the cabin fills up with smoke, panicky passengers overturn their meal trays as they rush the emergency exits. The pilot manages to plow the plane belly-down onto soft earth, but when the plane—in flames now—comes to a full stop and the emergency doors pop free, the three-hundred-pound ectomorph in the window seat becomes lodged firmly and inexorably in the small doorway. At the head of the aisle, another giant (expletive deleted) collapses wheezing onto the floor, blocking egress. As my hair catches fire, the last thing I see is jiggly, crenulated back fat.
 So been there... - MD
I am fairly sure that I have posted this before, but my Wife and I met a very active 90yo lady some short years ago who being left alone travelled wherever and however she could. She once had a near exit seat on a big plane when it all went t-up and an emergency ensued. In the rush for the exits she suffered a broken shoulder as in her words people 'ran' across her in their panic. In her story she seemed quite unfazed and continued unabated. They don't make them like that any more sadly.
 So been there... - R.P.
As a result of this thread watched that programme. Wretched...How did the fat people get through security rigged with cameras and wires...?
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 3 Jan 14 at 20:53
 So been there... - Aretas
What's all this st. thing? I weigh 71kg.
 So been there... - madf
>> What's all this st. thing? I weigh 71kg.
>>

So do I
I pick up the occasional free Telegraph when I'm in Waitrose - just to keep me in touch with what the neighbours are being told to think, you understand. I was amazed to see that it still reports temperatures in °F, perhaps the most useless and incomprehensible of all the archaic measurements.
 So been there... - R.P.
Even the esteemed Beeb is reporting US temperatures in Imperial....
>> Even the esteemed Beeb is reporting US temperatures in Imperial....

Thoroughly confused as to what they're using as temps are approximately at level where F and C scales minus values cross over.
I imagine they're merely repeating the data they're given by US agencies. Still slack not to convert it and make it clear, though.
 So been there... - Zero
the Americans don't use C only F so they are using their terms. They should use C in this case, it makes it sound worse. I laughed when they said the town of Hell froze.
Latest Forum Posts