Non-motoring > Sea Salt. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 18

Sea Salt. - MD
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-25733449
 Sea Salt. - Cliff Pope
Is there something special about the seawater around Anglesey? No tides? No Gulf Stream?
 Sea Salt. - MD
R.P. He of the Volvo fame will tell us I'm sure. If he ever slows down that is. :-)
 Sea Salt. - Ambo
I imagine seawater composition varies around the coast. Why not register Maldon Sea Salt, from the eastern shore?

Sea salt has a much better taste than mined and we use it for most purposes.
 Sea Salt. - Bromptonaut
>> I imagine seawater composition varies around the coast. Why not register Maldon Sea Salt, from
>> the eastern shore?

It would be up to the salt gatherers of Maldon to seek such protected status.

Contrary to impression given in recent press coverage of Greggs not Cornish pasties the EU don't do this stuff of their own volition.
 Sea Salt. - Focusless
In case anyone else is wondering (I thought salt = sodium chloride, end of), this explains the difference between table and sea salt:
www.mayoclinic.org/sea-salt/expert-answers/FAQ-20058512
 Sea Salt. - Ambo
>>It would be up to the salt gatherers of Maldon to seek such protected status.

I think that would be just the one firm. It seems all it does is allow a tank to fill at high tide, then boil the contents away until dry.
 Sea Salt. - Jetski
I guess the taste of sea salt depends on where the sewage outfall is.
 Sea Salt. - helicopter
Sea salt does make a difference in cooking...

We spotted an elderly couple last year searching the rocks at an isolated beach in Crete and chatting to them found that it was sea salt they were collecting..... they did not even have to boil it..... and they gave us a bag to try.....

I just love the mouthwatering taste of the chips you get in the village tavernas in Crete cooked in home produced olive oil from home grown earthy flavour potatoes, sprinkled with home collected sea salt and dried herbs from the mountainside... ..
Last edited by: helicopter on Wed 15 Jan 14 at 15:17
 Sea Salt. - Cliff Pope
I'm not denying it tastes nice, just wondering why Angelsey water doesn't get washed along the coast with the tidal stream, and contaminated with water from the other direction.
 Sea Salt. - Armel Coussine
One of Gandhi's great campaigns was a 'salt march' of several hundred miles, gathering several thousand followers on the way. It was a peaceful protest against the salt law in India, which monopolized collection and sale of salt - one of the most basic and essential foodstuffs - for the imperial authorities.

When the marchers arrived at the salt pans and started collecting salt, they were attacked by police using lathis and some were killed. That was in 1947 I think. Our imperial record isn't always quite as we might want it to be.
 Sea Salt. - NortonES2
I know "sea salt" is supposed to taste better, but rock salt, aka halite, also formed from seawater evaporites. Other than the larger crystals in sea salt compared to table salt, the composition must surely be very similar. Excluding the inclusion nowadays of caesium chloride etc traces in sea water:)
Last edited by: NIL on Wed 15 Jan 14 at 17:01
 Sea Salt. - R.P.
Designer salt. Business opportunity ruthlessly exploited. Don't blame them personally. Seems the factory is only a few miles away.
www.halenmon.com/
 Sea Salt. - Dog
They're all at it: www.cornishseasalt.co.uk/
 Sea Salt. - Lygonos
Other than differences due to crystals/flakes of different size I doubt a blind tasting trial of solutions of different brands will show much variation in taste.

Add to the "searing meat to keep in the juices" brand of cookery myths.
>> That was in 1947 I think

I am covered in shame. How ridiculous of me, the salt march was in 1930 and was a seminal event in Gandhi's long campaign for independence, achieved formally in 1947.

Even in 1930 the salt laws were outrageous. Indians who lived by the sea could be punished for harvesting salt for their own use, let alone for trading.
As for salt at table, flakes and rocks are a no-no except in hot soup. Those salt grinders never work. God knows pepper ones are bad enough.
 Sea Salt. - Boxsterboy
>> I guess the taste of sea salt depends on where the sewage outfall is.
>>

Or how many people have been jet-skiing in it?
 Sea Salt. - Lygonos
>>Or how many people have been jet-skiing in it?

Is that BBD's latest euphemism?
Latest Forum Posts