Non-motoring > Bargains Thread - Volume 13   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 101

Bargains Thread - Volume 13 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 14 *****

More lovely bargains !

Post links in here of any offers/bargains that you come across. Need not be motoring but motoring related is of course welcome.

Previous volumes are below
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Volume 9
Volume 10
Volume 11
Volume 12

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 22 Sep 14 at 21:28

Jaegermeister 70cl £12.50 (was £21.50) Sainsburys - smokie
BIG saving for all you bombers...

www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1387454728027
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 19 Dec 13 at 12:08

Kindle promotional credit from free book download - Focusless
I downloaded this free crime/thriller/mystery book from Amazon's kindle store earlier:
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H4ITBEM

which might or might not be any good. Then I got an email saying my 'purchase' qualified me for their 'get a popular book for 99p' promotion:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000767543

although 99p is generally 99p more than I spend on an ebook :)

Kindle promotional credit from free book download - R.P.
I've bought a couple of Si-Fi (alternative history books from Amazon very cheaply. They were badly written and poorly edited, but I suppose worth the money in a way. Won't fall into that trap again in a hurry.

One of them was..

wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/timelines/the_fireflies_of_port_stanley

A daft proposition weaving real people into a fictionalised version of the campaign.

LIDL wiper blades - bathtub tom
Fiver a pair. Also other car related stuff.

I nipped down this morning. They had boxes of pairs with different sized ones in each box, unfortunately they didn't have the combination that fitted my car (400mm, 530mm), but they did have pairs of 400mm and 530mm so I've ended up with four blades for a tenner. Should last me a few years!

LIDL wiper blades - MD
E-bay

LIDL wiper blades - bathtub tom
Sorry MD, but I looked on that place, as I was thinking of replacing the current incumbents and couldn't find anything cheaper.

I've had LIDL's before and found them to last a couple of years, so was more than happy to fork out for a couple of pairs - let's hope SWMBO doesn't do something and write it off!

Garmin sat nav at Aldi - borasport
I haven't had time to check out the details, but < £90 for a Garmin with 'lifetime' map updates seems very reasonable to me

tinyurl.com/mosphyn

Garmin sat nav at Aldi - Zero
very - 129 squidlets everywhere else, It is a run-out model but none the less thats damn cheap for a well featured sat nav.

Didn't actually need one, but hey...! - R.P.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000EDPT9K/?tag=ho01f-21

LIDL tools and batteries etc - henry k
Cards of button batteries. One type per card. ( Pound shops seem to no longer stock button batteries)

Digital callipers ( in their online catalogue).
Bow saws " " " "

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-SIDED-DIAMOND-SHARPENING-BLOCK-HONING-BLADES-WET-DRY-/131125214495?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e87abfd1f
but@£6.99

Camera bargain - MD
Tesco direct. Panasonic Lumix pocket camera £39.00 via click and collect. Sandisk class 10 SD card. 16GB £11.00.

MD

Camera bargain - VxFan
These, I presume?

tinyurl.com/qjsqsk9

tinyurl.com/pc59kto

It's always handy to provide the links to save people searching for the product(s)

£5 free Aldi voucher in Sun today 9th April - madf
Today's Sun includes one £5 Aldi voucher for spend of £40 or over. Valid from today 9th April to the 19th.

As I shop weekly in Aldi, I've bought two Suns... a grand total of 80p giving savings of £10...

Bargain.

Free Kindle book for installing Amazon Local app - Focusless
...on iPhone or Android. Limited choice of 20 titles, but looks like a reasonable selection (normally £3.49/99).

local.amazon.co.uk/Bath/B00JGPDSRC
(Bath area link, but I don't think that's significant.)

Hobgoblin & others at ALDI. - Roger.
Found in Aldi today - Hobgoblin & a few other premium bottled ales reduced to £1.25. Be quick, as I had the last Hobgoblin in our local store, but I did pick up a nice 4 grain ale - Autumn Gold.

Hobgoblin & others at ALDI. - Ted

Did they have any Jennings bitter , Rog ? My local Aldi had them at a quid on Thursday.
Bought a dozen...drinking one now...glug glug.

ALDI Special offers - Meldrew
For your info, emphasis on Sunday is directed at cyclists and next Thursday is home and garden. I saw a Nespresso "pod" coffee machine at £49.99 which is a keen price but also takes ground coffee.

Wiper blade - £1.26 - ECP - Alanovich
Just got a wiper blade for the Mazda for £1.26 on the EuroCarParts website, free delivery too. Big discounts on lots of blades on there today.

Wiper blade - £1.26 - ECP - smokie
Thanks for this, got all 3 blades (Bosch no less) for the Focus for about £12. Quick delivery too!

Wiper blade - £1.26 - ECP - smokie
However, just went to fit them and the blades are a standard fitting but the wiper arms aren't. That's a bit annoying as on the website you out in you car reg so it didn't occur to me that it would recommend the wrong ones. Mind you, it did offer a huge choice of sizes...

Android smartphone with 'long' battery life - Focusless
At £200 not sure this really counts as a 'bargain' but thought I'd mention it anyway:
www.decathlon.co.uk/quechuaphone-50-id_8294081.html

It's sold as a smartphone specifically for outdoor use, but the relatively long (3 days is mentioned) battery life might make it attractive to 'normal' users too. The 3500mAh battery does make it heavier though. Gets good reviews.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 20 May 14 at 13:15

Android smartphone with 'long' battery life - Focusless
BTW something to do with your outdoor use phone:
tinyurl.com/otzlvw7 (DM)

:)

USB Borescope Endoscope Inspection Snake Scope.... - henry k
5m 7m 10m 15m USB Borescope Endoscope Inspection Snake Scope Tube Wire Camera

www.ebay.com/itm/121173861882

A bargain for the man with a proper toolbox ?

USB Borescope Endoscope Inspection Snake Scope.... - smokie
... or a hypochondriac?

USB Borescope Endoscope Inspection Snake Scope.... - Roger.
.......+ KY jelly in the cabinet?

ALDI- Beer - Roger.
Aldi currently have premium bottled beers - e.g. Hobgoblin, Black Sheep, etc for just £1.25 per 500ml bottle.

Brass Hoselock compatible connectors ALDI - sherlock47
Exactly the same as the LIDL items previously mentioned in the Hoselock thread. Large qty in stock on friday.

£4.99 ! very good value

You could pay upto £15 +p&p on Ebay

Invaluable where the water pressure is high, and you experience blowing off :) or if you are in the habit of driving over plastic connectors.

Costco Tyres - Michelins cheap - sherlock47
The usual shortlived promotion is now on.

Not as good as some recent 4 for the price of 3 on Michelin Tyres, but £ 50 off when buying 4 Tyres is still a good deal, particularly for smaller tyres.

4 x 155/80 -13 Michelins for £155 a pretty good deal!

www.warehouses.costco.co.uk/tyres/
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Fri 20 Jun 14 at 21:48

Costco Tyres - Michelins cheap - WillDeBeest
The challenge is to find a car to fit them to.
}:---)

Costco Tyres - Michelins cheap - sherlock47
Such a good buy, it seems a pity to put them on a car:)

HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder - VxFan

www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Legend-HD-Vehicle-Recorder/dp/B005Q6CJI4

£10.59 & FREE Delivery (in the UK). I think you have to purchase the memory card separately.

Not got one, but someone on another forum that I use has and says it's ok.

HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder - bathtub tom
I bought one of them some time ago (twenty-odd quid). No SD card, buy two, because if you want to retain evidence you'll need to keep the card and insert another, just in case..............

The battery on mine wasn't up to much, but another out of an old 'phone was better.

The instructions appeared to be translated from Chinese by a Klingon!

Be warned, they record audio very clearly!

HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder - smokie
I bought a screen mount for my Android as I had a couple of apps that record journeys. They worked well, one stopped and restarted recording frequently (6 minutes I think) which was good for space management. That also overlaid your location and speed. I don't use it any more though, the videos are really not that interesting!!

I suppose if you're one of those drivers always getting into tangles it might be of use.

HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder - Ted
>>
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Legend-HD-Vehicle-Recorder/dp/B005Q6CJI4
>>
>> �10.59 & FREE Delivery (in the UK). I think you have to purchase the memory
>> card separately.
>>

I bought one of these. Special offer by Manchester Evening News...£39.95 plus p&p. Hahahaha ! Mine was a click over £11 off Amazon.

Great bit of kit, Good sucker and mount. Just plug in to the car and it does it all for you. Comes alive with ignition and shuts down when you take your key out. Instruction booklet a bit of a mystery and in the smallest font in the world !

Here's a short clip of me navigating through some traffic in the Vitara. Could,'t seem to make the link work but type SUNP0598 into YouTube and click on the 1400ted download. It'll give an idea of the quality of recording.

A virtual bun and a kiss for anyone who identifies the location. I had the caravan on the back.

HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder - Zero

>> Here's a short clip of me navigating through some traffic in the Vitara. Could,'t seem
>> to make the link work

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhdKChHEaw0

HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder - neiltoo
>> A virtual bun and a kiss for anyone who identifies the location. I had the
>> caravan on the back.
>>

Mottram

HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder - bathtub tom
>>Mottram

Did you Google Barwoods bedrooms too?

HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder - smokie
Wish I'd had my camera app running on Sunday, southbound on the M6 in the outside lane when an artic swerved left ontot eh hard dshoulder, over-compensated and turned 180 degrees right in front of me, flattened the central reservation and coming to a halt facing the opposite direction on the other carriageway. Luckily no-one at all was hurt and no other vehicle involved. it would have been a spectacular piece of film.

It made the local press and my daughter mailed them some rather good shots (we were obviously 1st on teh scene and had to wait in the middle of the motorway for the emergency services, then wait some more until plod had taken our statements). The picture they used, they pixellated badly, and it was the one pointing away from the lorry at the flattened crash barrier. www.lep.co.uk/news/local/lorry-driver-s-miracle-escape-1-6777753. At least my car made the press :-)

All kidding aside we were lucky to be alive, but my Mrs had a sore back because I braked so hard. May be partly luck, but I am convinced my IAM training also helped, in particular observation/anticipation and giving large vehicles a wide berth where practical. Mrs and daughter said they reckon they'd have been hit.

HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder - BobbyG
That's the benefit of having these dashcams, even cheap ones.
They record all the time, come on/off with the ignition and you just forget about them until something like this happens!

I have just been reading a thread on another website where footage from someone's dashcam was used to prosecute two car thieves who had passed him on a country road.

HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder - Ted

Mottram in Longdendale. Where Lowry lived, All the traffic is either heading to or coming from the bottom of the hill where the Snake meets the Woodhead. It's like that all day long ! If ever a place cries out for a by-pass !

Pucker up boys !

For future reference Z. How did you make the link clickable. I copied and pasted as usual but it didn't go blue on the ' preview post ' as it usually does.

Haynes combustion engine - smokie
This has been posted before but I don't recall the price. Anyway, John Lewis, reduced from £29.99 to £14.99 to clear

www.johnlewis.com/haynes-combustion-engine/p230646802?s

ALDI - 7UP look (& taste) alike - Roger.
A tip for those of you who like 7UP. ALDI have a special purchase in-store now of a " Vive" Lime & Lemon 0% sugar version which costs just 45p against the best price on mysupermarket.com of £1.00 for 7Up itself.
I can tell you, that in a blind tasting, you would not know the difference!

ALDI - 7UP look (& taste) alike - VxFan
>> A tip for those of you who like 7UP.

I used to love LIDL's sugar free Iron Brew (cheap copy of Irn Bru). They only seem to stock the full fat version nowadays.

B&Q sale of overstocked items - madf
August 4th (Monday) starting early.. see

tinyurl.com/lfyawcf

Thread is worth reading to see some of the questions..
Last edited by: madf on Wed 30 Jul 14 at 16:14

Want a new iphone?? - BobbyG
EE, iphone 5C, 32GB, unlimited mins and texts, 2GB data
only £24.99 per month and free phone if you click on link which I hope will work!

10ws.co/1ogy49p

Just in case anyone is interested!

Waterless car wash/wax spray - wokingham
If you like this method Aldi have 750ml for £4.99 in Thursday's special buys and a lot of other car related things - seat covers, boot cooler bag, seat back organiser and many tools

Birra Moretti Premium Lager - Clk Sec
Birra Moretti in Tesco today at £5 per 3 x litre bottles.

Too late to edit. It's £5 per 3 x 500ml bottles, of course!

Birra Moretti Premium Lager - mikeyb
You sure they are 500ml ? The "big" ones in Waitrose are 660ml

Birra Moretti Premium Lager - Bromptonaut
>> You sure they are 500ml ? The "big" ones in Waitrose are 660ml

Jiggering about with bottle sizes and number of bottles in any given pack/multibuy offer is classic confusion marketing.

Only conclusion worth mention is cost in pence/litre.

Even then they muddy further by mixing pints, litres and 100ml in the shelf edge unit pricing.

Birra Moretti Premium Lager - CGNorwich
A quick google confirms the Tesco is 660ml so it is indeed a 'bargain' if you like the stuff.

It always seems pretty anaemic stuff to me (they sell it in Pizza Express) but I'm a real ale sort of guy really.

Yes, 660ml is correct. Must book an appointment with Specsavers.

Birra Moretti Premium Lager - Zero
>> A quick google confirms the Tesco is 660ml so it is indeed a 'bargain' if
>> you like the stuff.
>>
>> It always seems pretty anaemic stuff to me (they sell it in Pizza Express) but
>> I'm a real ale sort of guy really.

I like it, It has a slightly more hoppy flavour than that other Pizza staple beer, Peroni. If you want a slightly darker hoppier lager igo for Peroni Gran Reserva.

I'll give it a go. Funny when I''m abroad lager seems OK but never drink it out of choice here. Must be the weather or something.

Seriously good, CGN, if you can get it on tap in your local. Having said that I, too, rarely drink lager.

www.ratebeer.com/beer/peroni-gran-riserva/7976/

Doesn't seem highly rated by some.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 13 Aug 14 at 09:42

>> www.ratebeer.com/beer/peroni-gran-riserva/7976/
>>
>> Doesn't seem highly rated by some.

I've not tried that one but the Birra Moretti on tap is delightful, in my very recent experience.

>> www.ratebeer.com/beer/peroni-gran-riserva/7976/
>>
>> Doesn't seem highly rated by some.

Given that you are A: not going to get Russian Stout, or B: Bearded real ale freaks in Pizza Express, its the best lager you will get in there.

PS you started wearing socks with your sandals now its getting colder? time for a bead trim - get all those dried fuglles out?
 Birra Moretti Premium Lager - sooty123
I've been on the website before, seems the more obsucure the better it's rating. Anything that isn't difficult/very difficult to buy gets a very average rating at best.

Birra Moretti Premium Lager - Slidingpillar
Funny when I''m abroad lager seems OK

Basically because most lager sold is the UK is horrid stuff, but outside the UK, the locals do have some taste and wouldn't drink the rubbish sold here. I've never forgotten the TV programme years ago where a group of brewery execs were discussing the brewing here of a foreign lager and one of them said "we'll have to adjust the recipe for the English palate". Which translates as make it cheap rubbish.

In the mid 80s Castlemaine 4X was test marketed here with the brewed in Australia product. Tasted quite nice actually. Then they brewed something here, put it in tins that looked the same - and it was horrid.

Birra Moretti Premium Lager - Armel Coussine
Piece in the comic today says all lager tastes the same. Not quite true, but near enough. It's a dead boring drink that you swallow faute de mieux.

Nice to be in agreement.

>> Piece in the comic today says all lager tastes the same. Not quite true, but
>> near enough. It's a dead boring drink that you swallow faute de mieux.
>>

I wouldn't say that, easy to tell a good one from a bad one.

You just need to give it a silly name. Say "Bruised Toenail" from "The Bunion Brewery"

The real ale drinkers would flock to it.

I do like an ale, prefer lager though. Yeah some do have daft names, not sure why, some clever marketing thing no doubt.

Birra Moretti Premium Lager - Bromptonaut
>> You just need to give it a silly name. Say "Bruised Toenail" from "The Bunion
>> Brewery"
>>
>> The real ale drinkers would flock to it.

And to prove real ale drinkers point I'm of to the Great British Beer Festival tomorrow.

Anyone else been or going?

Have this one on me

tinyurl.com/mf5tk

Cheers
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 13 Aug 14 at 21:13

>> Have this one on me
>>
>> tinyurl.com/mf5tk
>>
>>
>> Cheers
>>

And here is one for you

beerpulse.com/beer/coronado-stupid-stout/

Birra Moretti Premium Lager - Armel Coussine
>> easy to tell a good one from a bad one.

Easy to tell a bad one anyway. People used to think I would like Red Stripe because I knew some Jamaicans, but it's terrible sour stuff. Decent draught in the Czech Republic is another matter (but it does get you drunk).

>>. Decent draught in the
>> Czech Republic is another matter (but it does get you drunk).
>>

Aye good stuff, AC. Czech stuff is one of my favourites.

Birra Moretti Premium Lager - mikeyb
Different strengths for the UK market to.

The tax is based on the alcohol content at the door, so Stella dropped the content from 5.2 to 5 and then again to 4.8

Must make a big difference to the taste

ALDI Bavaria lager - Roger.
Now just 91p per 500 ml. bottle.

Wickes central heating Bargains - madf
I have just serviced and partially rebuilt our central heating system ## with parts from Wickes at silly prices;

Eg room thermostat £2.97 (normally £25
Sealing fluid fast application £0.47 - was £18

and so on..
All on their website..tinyurl.com/kjlpfjj
And on : tinyurl.com/m4ea3lx

Some really really cheap prices..

I cleaned the local one out of radiator/system protector packs at £0.47... a really silly price.

Beat the rush.. will go very quickly.. (isolator valves at £0.97),, tinyurl.com/ktx4btd

## now 32 years old...
Last edited by: madf on Mon 1 Sep 14 at 12:43

Lidl again - Mike Hannon
Lidl in France this week is selling excellent-looking multimeters for €9.99, so presumably £9.99 if they have them in the UK.
I'd have bought one but I've got two decent ones in good working order, including one that came from Lidl in Weymouth in about 1999, price £2.99.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Tue 2 Sep 14 at 10:04

Lidl again - Zero
Man can never have enough multimeters. I have three.
 Lidl again - RichardW
Proper men have Megas though..... I'm still a mouse, as not graduated to one of those yet!

Lidl again - Zero
hold these wires while I crank this handle dear heart......

Lidl again - CGNorwich
As a dumb non technically minded person wotz a multi-meter do?. Is non-ownership of one something that should concern me?

Lidl again - Zero
Leccy - Measures volts,(voltage DC & AC) ohms (resistance), and amps (current) You can also tell polarity.

Lidl again - Duncan
>> Leccy - Measures volts,(voltage DC & AC) ohms (resistance), and amps (current) You can also tell polarity.
>>

What for?

What do you actually DO with it?

Lidl again - Kevin
>What for?

>What do you actually DO with it?

Much like other equipment, you only learn how useful it can be once you've played with it for a while and learned how to use it properly ;-)

Lidl again - madf
>> As a dumb non technically minded person wotz a multi-meter do?. Is non-ownership of one
>> something that should concern me?
>>

Mine are used at least once every five years....so really really essentia...........l

Lidl again - crocks
I've got one because they are potentially useful.

Lidl again - Stuartli
>>Man can never have enough multimeters. I have three. >>

Wonder how I've managed to survive having never owned one?

Lidl again - Zero
>> >>Man can never have enough multimeters. I have three. >>
>>
>> Wonder how I've managed to survive having never owned one?

I daren't tell you

Lidl again - BobbyG
Think the one I have was bought in Tandy - remember them???

Lidl again - Bromptonaut
I own a couple. One ancient with just a needle, other more recent with LCD - bargain from Maplin. TBH I don't think I've ever used either for much more than continuity testing.

Lidl again - sherlock47
For general use an analogue meter is much more useful (as long as you kwyd) - of my collection the Model 8 is the cream of the bunch, and the Fluke RS Digital is a good companion, but neither get used in the garage.

Those who kwtrd will understand what I am on about - multimeter snobbery I am afraid - you can never have too many:)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 2 Sep 14 at 20:04

Lidl again - Kevin
>Those who kwtrd will understand what I am on about - multimeter snobbery I am afraid..

I have a Model 8 and leather case gathering dust in the loft along with a Fluke RS. The Fluke's LCD has bled (a common problem) and the last digit is unreadable. I had a Taylor 88B which was better than the Avo but it didn't survive a fall I'm afraid.

Currently using a neon screwdriver and a cheap digi (supposedly max +/- 1%) that do everything I need.

Lidl again - CGNorwich
"I have a Model 8 and leather case gathering dust in the loft along with a Fluke RS"

Ah, the old model 8. Great for detecting minor flux ion inversions in sine wave pulse variations. Never been bettered. :-)
 Lidl again - Kevin
>Ah, the old model 8. Great for detecting minor flux ion inversions in sine wave pulse variations.
>Never been bettered. :-)

No, that was the 88B. A common mistake though CG.

Lidl again - bathtub tom
I recall trying a mate's new fangled neon screwdriver in the live of a 13A socket, except it wasn't. It was a 12V tester that the tail had fallen off. I hit the opposite wall so hard my elbow hurt for days!

I've just been trying to sort out the electrics of a '60s motorbike's that been re-wired. May take some time, but a multi-meter's indispensable.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 01:32

Lidl again - Ted
I use mine a fair amount. Checking mains voltage can be a life saver. You can check the charging of your alternator, power in batteries. continuity of cables and circuits.

I wouldn't be without one, I even take it in the caravan with me. Essential for model railway builders as well.

I only buy the cheap ones from Halfords.....good enough for what I want. It's the cables that fail, detaching from the little plugs after a while. I just used to chuck the lot and replace but I've found that stripping out a length of 1.5 T & E , baring both ends. Folding one end over and crimping it tight makes a good fit in the socket on the tester and works fine.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 01:32

Lidl again - J Bonington Jagworth
Not an AVO, but still a pretty good deal:

www.maplin.co.uk/p/mt-2017-large-analogue-multimeter-n60lk

Maplin used to do a combined digital/analogue meter that I prevaricated over, and when I'd finally decided to buy one, they'd been discontinued!

Isn't T&E a bit stiff..?

Lidl again - Ted

>> Isn't T&E a bit stiff..?
>>
It is a bit inflexible but I'm very strong !
It can be an advantage. Only the black is gone on my current machine so I've taped the t&e up the side letting me use the whole thing as a probe.

Makes it a bit easier for me to see the readout.

Lidl again - Mapmaker
>>. I just used to chuck the lot and replace but I've found that stripping out a length of 1.5 T & E , baring both ends.

What a brilliant idea. I have a couple of dead ones...

Urad leather cleaners/polishes - Manatee
www.uradleathercare.co.uk/

20% off until 7th September.

"Just enter the code Urad1 in your shopping cart BEFORE going to checkout"

Good stuff. I use the "shoe and leather cleaner", and I'm going to try the "waterproofer and conditioning wax" on my booits.

Looks expensive, but you don't use much. I did two sofas, a chair and my car seats with about half a pot.

Barbecue charcoal - bathtub tom
My local ALDI's selling 5Kg bags of charcoal briquettes and 4Kg bags (4x1Kg bags) of self-lighting charcoal at a pound a bag.

I've now enough for next year!

Barbecue charcoal - WillDeBeest
Just as long as you don't use them to cook anything you're planning to eat. Chemical binder and paraffin. Yum.

Barbecue charcoal - J Bonington Jagworth
I think you're meant to let the binder and paraffin burn off before you actually cook anything! I know it's a bind if you're in a hurry, but we generally let ours run for at least half an hour before breaking out the sausages...

Barbecue charcoal - WillDeBeest
Certainly, JBJ - cook over embers, not flames. But I've always found that briquettes go on smelling acrid and just plain nasty, and that that affects anything cooked over them.

Sausages though? Really? On a fierce barbecue rather than gently sizzled in a cast iron skillet?

Oh dear, I am argumentative today. Possibly comes from being shut in for a week, for reasons I may explain elsewhere. All intended in the right spirit, of course. Sorry if any of it doesn't gone across that way.

Latest Forum Posts