Non-motoring > LBC radio Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 29

LBC radio - Dog
Goes nationwide today (from 7am) on DAB where the dicky birdsong station used to be.

www.lbc.co.uk/
 LBC radio - Enoughalready
My station of choice. Infuriating sometimes but I do enjoy Mystery Hour @12pm on Thursdays
 LBC radio - Bromptonaut
Used to listen to Bob Holness and Douglas Cameron when I first lived in London. Seem to remember they had an American City commentator who constantly told us the eighties 'Bull' market was about to turn into a Bear. He was out by a good few years.

Guy called Richard Hudson-Evans did the traffic while Marie from BA listed the morning's dealys an cancellations into LHR.

In those days it was on 261m MW while Capital was further down the scale on 194.
 LBC radio - Dog
>>In those days it was on 261m MW while Capital was further down the scale on 194

You have a mighty-fine memory comrade Brompt, I used to listen mainly to those two stations back in distant past when our abode was in Bankside.

I've enjoyed this mornings LBC prog so far, apart from the verts but, even the beeb can be a tad annoying in that area of late.
 LBC radio - CGNorwich
So we have lost Jazz FM and are getting wall to wall drivel and phone-ins. Sigh.
 LBC radio - Enoughalready
At home I listen to music. In the car I enjoy wall to wall drivel and phone-ins unless I have a passenger.
 LBC radio - Robbie34
It's good to hear it is back on air nationwide. I used to receive it on DAB here in the North-West, but it suddenly disappeared.
 LBC radio - Dulwich Estate
"Seem to remember they had an American City commentator who constantly told us the eighties 'Bull' market was about to turn into a Bear"

Bob Beckman.

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/my-biggest-mistake-bob-beckman-1559487.html
 LBC radio - Bromptonaut

>> Bob Beckman.
>>
>> www.independent.co.uk/news/business/my-biggest-mistake-bob-beckman-1559487.html

I read that and thought he's only 5 years older than me making him 26ish when he was on LBC.

Then I looked at original publication date - 1992!!
 LBC radio - VxFan
>> DAB

Am I the only one who doesn't own/have a DAB radio? Can't say I'm really bothered that I don't either.

The stations I generally listen to come through clear enough on good old anologue radio. It just takes a while for the valves to warm up before you can listen to them ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Feb 14 at 10:30
 LBC radio - Pat
Not a Planet Rock fan then?

Pat
 LBC radio - VxFan
>> Not a Planet Rock fan then?

Nope, but even if I was, I could listen to it online or download the App for my iPhone.

www.planetrock.com/
www.planetrock.com/promotions/the-all-new-iphone-app/

Who needs DAB ;)
 LBC radio - Bromptonaut
>> Am I the only one who doesn't own/have a DAB radio? Can't say I'm really
>> bothered that I don't either.

One of around seven radios dotted round the house is DAB. Only reason for its existence is that our kitchen is a dead spot for VHF. We do however have an almost clear line of sight to the digital transmitter at Daventry.
 LBC radio - Dog
Got 3 DAB's here, bought for listening to Radio 5 Dead & BBC World Service mainly, liked Planet Rock when it first started but gorn orf it now because they don't play enough 6o's prog rock IMO.
 LBC radio - Crankcase
We have just the one DAB, which we've had for some years I guess. It gets switched on once a week on Sunday morning, and stays on for about an hour until after breakfast, and we never tune it away from where it is.

Otherwise we never listen to the radio anywhere. So they can do what they like with all these stations as far we are concerned!

LBC radio - Dulwich Estate
Don't forget - anyone with digital TV reception - now everybody in UK I presume, can get masses of DAB radio stations on the telly.
 LBC radio - Fenlander
>>>Planet Rock.. gorn orf it now because they don't play enough 6o's prog rock IMO

Me too but Mrs F still listens shut in the kitchen when a cooking marathon is in progress. I find the station sound a bit relentless... rock with a capital R.

Just found this on the tube.. perhaps of limited interest here but some nice raw* early footage of Sabbath.. www.youtube.com/watch?v=clySTJtd81c If you have a very short attention span music starts about 2mins in.

*Raw as in before the days half the sound at a gig comes off a laptop tucked away on the sound engineers mixdesk.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 11 Feb 14 at 11:40
 LBC radio - Dog
Thanks Fl, I'll check that out after I've got the coal in :)

Bought my first Sabbath 'cassette' in 69 (Master of Reality)
 LBC radio - Crankcase
I'm assuming, Dog, you know about the many internet prog rock radio stations, like this one, for example? There are dozens.

www.progrockradio.com/

LBC radio - Dog
>>I'm assuming, Dog, you know about the many internet prog rock radio stations, like this one, for example?

Thanks Cc, I'll add it to my stash (as Opera calls it)

I use this site too quite often via my PC: www.internet-radio.com/
 LBC radio - R.P.
DAB radio is great around here (Surprisingly) - We have a set in the kitchen and I have a little Pure pocket radio. The V40 has a DAB radio as standard. Outstranding reception so-far where FM was iffy. May give LBC a spin when there's nothing on R4 to enjoy. Can't be any worse than R2
 Gold - bathtub tom
Not having DAB, I have to listen to Gold on AM or PC.

www.mygoldmusic.co.uk/sectional.asp?id=18956
 Gold - Roger.
I never voluntarily listen to radio.
SWMBO has it on in the car sometimes and I find it intensely irritating, with the meaningless blather which is prevalent.
 Gold - R.P.
Found LBC on the car radio on the way home. The phone in then playing certainly seemed a lot more intelligent than that dreadful Jeremy Vine crap on R2. Ed Balls on a phone in tomorrow evening, may actually tune in
 Gold - CGNorwich
I'm not a fan of phone-ins. Much prefer listening to an informed person who can speak in coherent sentences rather than the ramblings of semi-literate opinionated people who usually phones radio stations. Those interminable "How're you going?" introductions drive me mad as well.
 Gold - Mikhail Ribbendik
"semi-literate opinionated people who usually phones radio stations"

:o)
 Gold - R.P.
Ed Balls is on tomorrow evening....
 Gold - Dog
Harriet Hardman was on this evening.

:}
 Gold - CGNorwich
Yep those sort of people who think people is plural shouldn't be allowed out.
 LBC radio - Dog
>>Just found this on the tube.. perhaps of limited interest here but some nice raw* early footage of Sabbath.. www.youtube.com/watch?v=clySTJtd81c If you have a very short attention span music starts about 2mins in

Brilliant!
Latest Forum Posts