Non-motoring > Weather Thread - Volume 12 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 32

Weather Thread - Volume 12 - VxFan

Continue your flood of comments here

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 17 Feb 14 at 01:30
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Dog
And now for some good news: www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26023166
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Old Navy
I see there is a "May" in that headline and a "May be changing" in the text, does that mean that like any other long range weather forecast it is a guess?
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Mon 17 Feb 14 at 08:14
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Dog
Uncle Albert?

www.express.co.uk/news/world-war-1/460168/At-last-we-can-put-a-face-to-our-First-World-War-hero-Uncle-Albert
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Duncan
>> Uncle Albert?
>>
>> www.express.co.uk/news/world-war-1/460168/At-last-we-can-put-a-face-to-our-First-World-War-hero-Uncle-Albert
>>

We KNOW what he looks like!

tinyurl.com/nznneof
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Old Navy
>> We KNOW what he looks like!
>>
>> tinyurl.com/nznneof
>>
>>

:-))))))))

My beard is not quite that long.
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Pat
Can anyone tell me if Vicarage Road and Thorpe Lea Road at Egham are affected by the flooding, please?

Ian needs early access to Brakes on the industrial estate in the morning and with a high trailer diversions need to be checked out first.

Thanks

Pat
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/surrey
Thanks Z, looks like it's going to be a problem!

Pat
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - henry k
Making progress. removal of 500 tonnes of trees/debris that were restricting the river flow.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-26237666
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - sherlock47
>> Making progress. removal of 500 tonnes of trees/debris that were restricting the river flow.
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-26237666
>>

Just flood a few more downstream houses then?
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Duncan
>> >> Making progress. removal of 500 tonnes of trees/debris that were restricting the river flow.
>> >> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-26237666

>> Just flood a few more downstream houses then?
>>

Well, taking that to its logical conclusion, the authorities should block off the bridge!
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Roger.
www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/flooding/10655005/The-flooding-of-the-Somerset-Levels-was-deliberately-engineered.html
Could this be a case of the facts not fitting the version of events we want to hear>

Pat
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - CGNorwich
I would not form an opinion based solely on the views of Christopher Booker.

His views on a number of issues don't really stand up to close scrutiny but he does sell copy and is admired by those who favour the conspiracy view of science and government. I'm not sure whether he himself believes most of what he writes. I actually doubt it.
This article is terribly ignorant of how land that lies below sea level is drained and managed. As you know from where you live Pat.
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Haywain
I was under the impression that, apart from saving money, the rivers hadn't been dredged in order to reduce the speed that water was lost back to the sea - thus allowing more to permeate through to become 'ground water'. A couple of summers ago, there was a draught, and we were told that groundwater level was extremely low owing to the fact that more land had been tarmacced over/built on etc. Has everyone forgotten that - it hasn't been mentioned?

BTW, whilst I have some time for UKIP, I don't for one moment think that they are clever enough to understand science-based topics such as drainage, climate change and energy sourcing. It looks to me as though they are chiefly interested in the drainage thing as an opportunity to bash Europe.
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Westpig
Seems remarkably quick

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26433185

Weather Thread - Volume 12 - R.P.
The power of politics.
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Westpig
>> The power of politics.
>>

Yes. You are right.

All the local papers down here are well pushing the 'isolation' angle.

I've just been watching a programme about the railroad in Alaska..now that's isolation.
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Bromptonaut
Is that full re-opening or subject to speed limits or single line running.

The original estimates were conservative, allowing or more rough weather. In practice it's ben benign for quite a while after last storms so progress better than expected.

One of the widely circulated pictures of earlier damage showed a 'Warship' working wrong line.

>> Seems remarkably quick

Two months? Not that quick. Its a pretty simple repair despite looking catastrophic, merely pile and shutter the seaward side, fill the hole with concrete, (not that deep or wide a hole either) re-balast and relay track. a task aided by having a rail head on site.
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Kevin
>Two months? Not that quick.

Pretty poor really.

California rebuilt four bridges on the Santa Monica freeway in 66 days after the Northridge earthquake in '94.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._C._Myers

It's taking 3 years to fix the Hammersmith flyover.
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-26442187
Another cliff fall.

Thames at Oxford is still a problem for rowers.

"Unfortunately, due to stream conditions, Torpids 2014 has been completely cancelled."
A BIG disappointment for my daughter and many others who have been training hard.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpids

But the Severn bore was a lot better this month. The commentary is pretty poor!!
( the third predicted 5 star bore is in September )

"Incredible Severn Bore Wave "
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKA39LQOIck

Some good photos and an "on board" video.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2572109/Riding-20-MILE-wave-Surfers-pictured-sunrise-cruising-Severn-Bore-massive-tidal-surge-sweeps-inland-river.html

Weather Thread - Volume 12 - bathtub tom
Is the South sinking?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-26390204
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - devonite
>>Is the South sinking?<<

yep! probably due to the weight of all the immigrants landing at the south coast ports!
 Dawlish line (nearly) open again - Focusless
Regarding the washed-away line at Dawlish covered back in Vol 8:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=16372

Just been watching a good ~5 min clip of its repair on The One Show; I'll post a link when it appears on iPlayer. First train (freight) went over on March 29th, official re-opening on Friday, not far off the original prediction of 6 weeks. And they had to sort out a landslide a bit further down the line as well as put up with the continuing bad weather. Oh ye of little faith Mr Westpig :)

Cost £15m. They're hoping it will last for the next 4-10 years, then they'll try to come up with something to last for 150. Perhaps by moving it a few miles inland...
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 2 Apr 14 at 20:12
>> Just been watching a good ~5 min clip of its repair on The One Show;
>> I'll post a link when it appears on iPlayer.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03zcvjw/The_One_Show_02_04_2014/
Starts at 48:30, just under 5 mins.
>> Cost £15m.

It's gone up - £35m in the BBC report of the official re-opening:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-26874503

Ah - that's £15m for the Dawlish bit (as reported previously) + £20m for other bits.
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 4 Apr 14 at 09:30
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - VxFan
No wonder some of the rivers needed dredging ;) They found 8 cars when they started. Some of the vehicles were thought to have been there for at least 20 years.

tinyurl.com/k73xru5 - Daily Mail

Weather Thread - Volume 12 - madf
A statement of the bleeding obvious.

"Avon and Somerset Police were called in relation to the discovery of the vehicles.
John Rowlands, from the Environment Agency, said: 'Some of them are over 20-years-old, they certainly would not pass a MOT.'"

He needs to get out more.

Weather Thread - Volume 12 - Focusless
...or perhaps he's got a sense of humour :)
 Weather Thread - Volume 12 - madf
Maybe he's anti dredging?

RIP etc...
Latest Forum Posts