Non-motoring > Receiving French TV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 17

Receiving French TV - Ambo
My TV has two sets of inputs. What appears to be Freeview (it includes Dave) comes from my old roof aerial, which is connected via a VCR/DVD player/recorder. I get Freesat via a twin lead satellite dish and a Foxsat PVR.

What can I do to receive French TV via this setup please? The Canal+ and Arte channels would be enough. I live in Poole and about the nearest point in France as the gull flies is Cherbourg.
 Receiving French TV - sherlock47
Have at look at this for the choice of services and satellites.
www.lyngsat.com/freetv/France.html

You will need an additional dish, pointed at I suggest at 5deg west to give you the best combination of the national programmes transmitted by the French terrestial Broadcasters.
www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-5-West-A.html
France 2
France 5
France Ô
LCP
France 3 Sat
and a variety of other French language channels, particularly radio all in clear. A lot of other foreign language channels in clear as well.

Canal+ is subscription and unfortunately IIRC Arte is not on that particular satellite.

Use a diseqc switch to combine 2 LNB feeds, but will get more complicated if you wish to record/watch different programs on different satellites.
www.aerialsat.com/prod/global-diseqc-1-2x1-sat-switch.html
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 18 Feb 14 at 14:51
 Receiving French TV - Zero
your only option is to use Satellite, You won't get French terrestrial TV with your current antenna set up. (its pointing the wrong way for a start)

Without realigning (or motorising) your dish, (currently pointing at 28.2E) sticking in another offset LNB, or sticking up another dish you are stuck with whats broadcast on Astra 2A, Astra 2F, Astra 2E, Astra 1N (soon to be joined by Astra 2G - Launch date 1Q 2104 ) and Eutelsat 28A

You'll need to tune your Foxsat manually

Astra 2a www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2A.html
Astra 2e www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E.html
Astra 2f www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2F.html

Think astra 1N is currently not transmitting, being moved.

Eutelsat www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A.html

If what you want is not on there, you aint getting it.

Receiving French TV - Crankcase
if you have an iPhone or iPad then you could install the Filmon app. There might be an Android version too for all I know. It's free. They "encourage" you to sign up, so they can sell you movies and other features, but I've never bothered and it works ok most of the time. Sometimes drops a feed for a few days but seems to come back.

That will give you more TV than you can shake a stick at, including a load of French channels, as well as Russian, German, Arabic, Asian, and so on and on, over your broadband (or even 3G if you want). It also carries main UK channels, so it's handy as a backup if you want to watch BBC2 on the sofa with headphones whilst the Mrs is watching BBC4.

Don't hold me responsible if you end up in "cheerleader tv" or "bikini babes" as there's loads of those too, as well as old movies galore for western or horror or scifi fans.

You could then, if you really wanted to I guess, stream the thing to your TV in various ways - Airplay, chromecast, whatever, but that might be a step too far.

Just a thought if desperate (for French tv, not cheerleaders).

Receiving French TV - Zero
I just let my Sony TV loose on the entire Eutelsat band to tune in. (i.e. not a freesat search - but everything going) All the sky channels came in, (encrypted) all the Irish channels came in encrypted) and a load of punjabi and urdu stuff.

Took a while 8000 channels!
 Receiving French TV - Crankcase
Too late to edit mine, but just discovered you can use Filmon on the web directly as well. The French channels listed are

ARTE Français
BFM TV
iTELE
M6 BOUTIQUE LA CHAINE
TV5MONDE EUROPE
France 2
France 5
France 3

Receiving French TV - Stuartli
There is an Android (and Windows) version:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.filmoncom.android&hl=en
 Receiving French TV - Stuartli
Further to above, my initial wariness at Filmon was dissipated when it came up on the Microsoft.co apps website:

apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/live-tv/c2a236cc-b1a1-46cd-8ced-ab989172e185

Follow links for PC version.
 Receiving French TV - Dulwich Estate
Any good for you ?

You probably need another box and a re-aligned dish:

Fransat broadcasts from the Atlantic bird 5° west satellite

www.fransat.co.uk/whatis.php
Many thanks for all of the above leads, which give me plenty of ideas.
>>>You probably need another box and a re-aligned dish:<<<

No point in another box if you can get a diseqswitch for less than £7!
 Receiving French TV - Robbie34
If you wish to receive the Fransat channels you will need another box. They are on sale at most of the big hypermarkets for about €140. You don't need to subscribe as the box contains the encryption module.
>>If you wish to receive the Fransat channels you will need another box<<<

No - on 5W the major national channels are transmitted in clear. Sitting here watching on a Sony TV with integrated DVBS tuner.
>> No - on 5W the major national channels are transmitted in clear. Sitting here watching
>> on a Sony TV with integrated DVBS tuner.

You are only receiving a few of the channels. The Fransat bouquet are encrypted, and to receive them you need the dedicated receiver.
>>If you wish to receive the Fransat channels you will need another box<<<

No - on 5W the major national channels are transmitted in clear. Sitting here watching on a Sony TV with integrated DVBS tuner.

Do the channels include Canal+ and Arte? These are the only ones I really need.
 Receiving French TV - neiltoo
Channels available on EUTELSAT 5 WEST A - 5° WEST:

www.eutelsat.com/deploy_tvLineUp/struts/defaultTvSearch.do?orbitalPos=EUTELSAT%205%20WEST%20A%20-%205%B0%20WEST&Langue=en

Neil
These are the channels you will receive if you buy a box in France with the integrated decoder. www.lyngsat.com/hd/Eutelsat-5-West-A.html
Thanks Neiltoo, that seems to be what I need.
Latest Forum Posts