Non-motoring > Charles Hawtrey Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 37

Charles Hawtrey - No FM2R
Since I don't sleep much, I often spend hours hunting around YouTube at night. Its quite surprising how much interesting and thought provoking stuff is on there, once you get passed the lager driven stuff.

I was just listening to a radio documentary on Charles Hawtrey.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q59FG2UpooU

Its rather depressing to hear what some people thought of him, whether or not its true although its sounds plausible.

I do hate it when my fond memories and illusions are disrupted.
On the other hand I've also just been sitting through various Morecambe and Wise documentaries and interviews (notably Parkinson). They do come across as thoroughly normal, pleasant and reasonable human beings.

Which is good, because I used to adore their shows.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfFBqTJB9sY
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 4 Mar 14 at 03:06
 Eric Morcambe - Slidingpillar
Eric Morcambe was known locally in Harpenden - where he lived as Lord Harpenden. Bit of a joke, but respectful and he was well known as someone who'd stop and chat. Well liked in the area.
 Charles Hawtrey - R.P.
Morcambe and Wise eh ? Brilliant in their time...watched an episode of The Sweeney the other day with them guesting....still funny.
 Charles Hawtrey - Lygonos
I seem to recall reading about him being a very bitter'n'twisted old man who finally died as a result of knackered circulation.

Edit from Wiki maybe says it all re Hawtrey: "His ashes were scattered in Mortlake Crematorium, close to Chiswick in London; no friends or family attended"
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 4 Mar 14 at 03:09
Seemingly seriously bitter and twisted.

Watch the M&W interview. Kind of restores my faith.
I've met Les Dawson and I wasn't all that impressed, but he comes across very well here (I think).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCvhfbhqrA
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 4 Mar 14 at 03:46
 Charles Hawtrey - VxFan
>> I've met Les Dawson

An unpublished book that he was midway through writing has recently come to light.

"Comedian Les Dawson secretly wrote a romantic thriller novel under a female nom de plume, it has been revealed.

The unpublished story of love and mystery, titled An Echo of Shadows, was written under the name Maria Brett-Cooper before his death in 1993.

Dawson wrote the book under a pseudonym because "he was scared that it wouldn't be taken seriously" under his own name, his daughter Charlotte told the BBC."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26065349

On a side note, my old music teacher at school did a brilliant impression of Les's piano playing. Apparantly it's quite hard to play a piano correctly and put in the odd duff note like Les did.

Les Dawson - piano - Slidingpillar
Apparantly it's quite hard to play a piano correctly and put in the odd duff note like Les did.

Actually it's not as hard as you might think if you are a decent player by ear. I've forgotten the exact details, but he basically flattened the climax of a phase thus creating both the impression he was terrible, and the tune being fully recognisable.

My brother can do it, and it's an addictive trick in the same way talking like Stanley Unwin is.
 Charles Hawtrey - Stuartli
Les Dawson, IIRC, wrote several books. I recall reading one that was very funny - as you would expect.
 Charles Hawtrey - Focusless
Some more from the Hawtrey wiki entry: "Hawtrey moved to Deal in Kent in 1968, where he devoted much time to the consumption of alcohol."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Hawtrey_(actor_born_1914)
 Charles Hawtrey - madf
>> Some more from the Hawtrey wiki entry: "Hawtrey moved to Deal in Kent in 1968,
>> where he devoted much time to the consumption of alcohol."

good man ..
 Charles Hawtrey - Zero
>> I do hate it when my fond memories and illusions are disrupted.

Console yourself, read up about Terry Thomas, without doubt the screen worlds ultimate Cad and Bounder (school for scoundrels is an absolute film classic) but who in fact was a consummate professional and all round good egg, but alas destroyed by Parkinsons.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 4 Mar 14 at 12:15
 Charles Hawtrey - Armel Coussine
A lot of comedians are miserable so-and-sos in civilian life.
 Charles Hawtrey - Skip
>> A lot of comedians are miserable so-and-sos in civilian life.
>>

They should join this site then they will feel very much at home !
 Charles Hawtrey - Dave_
>> A lot of comedians are miserable so-and-sos in civilian life.

Based on the one comedian of the telly I've met so far, I agree.
 Charles Hawtrey - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> Console yourself, read up about Terry Thomas,

but alas destroyed by Parkinsons.
>>

I loved his performances, but didn't know about the Parkinsons.

I can hear him now;

"The fella's an ebsolute shah" said in his lovely drawling voice.

I met someone who looked and spoke exactly like him. It was almost impossible to supress the giggles and anticipation that he might actually utter those words.
In one of the high points of my showbiz career I once played a scene in an indy movie made by some relations of mine. I was a black cab driver, and took the next punter from a taxi queue being harangued by a random street nutter. The nutter was played by a geezer who at that time was a standup comedian, although later he became more a sort of actor.

He came to our gaff for carnival the year after that bringing his little daughter. He was quite exceptionally disagreeable. Either he hated carnival or he found us poncy... frankly I really don't care which. Ghastly fellow.

The little daughter is now a very successful pop singer, rather good too in a heavily-engineered sort of way. Saw her on the box the other night. It can pay to have nasty driven parents.
 Charles Hawtrey - Alanovich
Would you mind if I hazard a guess at who the fellow is, AC, without using a name?
Do by all means. But don't make me badmouth someone by name. He may have lawyers.

In any case perhaps he was off form that day, feeling shy or something. Some performers can be shy offstage.
I suppose you're right. I'll keep my guess to myself.

If it's the bloke I'm thinking of, I've come across him myself and had a similar experience.
 Charles Hawtrey - Zero
>> Would you mind if I hazard a guess at who the fellow is, AC, without
>> using a name?

how does that work then?

"I know - Its Mr X"

Buzzzzzz

"Wrong"
Keith Allen.
Who he?
In retrospect, as he was born in the early 50s and the zenith of Lud's career was probably about 10 years before that I withdraw my suggestion ;-)
Heh heh...

My comic, which really ought to be retitled the Daily Hypochondriac, says that those who explode with rage are at severe risk of heart attacks and strokes.

So if it is to be believed I am living on borrowed time, and it ill behoves a medical man to provoke such a person.
>> Keith Allen.
>>

That was my guess too.
 Charles Hawtrey - Focusless
>> >> Keith Allen.
>>
>> That was my guess too.

And me. I think he used to be pretty wild, but from what I've read he's mellowed with age. Might just be a front though.
 Charles Hawtrey - Duncan
>> He was quite exceptionally disagreeable. Either he hated carnival or he found us poncy... frankly
>> I really don't care which. Ghastly fellow.

Perhaps what he hated was your persistent failure to use the definite article when referring to The Notting hill Carnival.

I would cheerfully strangle you for that alone!

>> your persistent failure to use the definite article when referring to The Notting hill Carnival.

As a finicky pedant, Duncan, you should know that the Hill in Notting Hill has an uppercase H, being part of a proper name.

In any case, do you think I have all day to type everything out in full just to please you? Outsiders dazzled by the glamour of the event may call it The Notting Hill Carnival to impress their friends, but blasé insiders refer to it as carnival. It's usually possible to tell which carnival is being referred to from the context. As we all know, there are others.

Raspberry.
 Charles Hawtrey - Cliff Pope
>> but blasé insiders
>>

I think that may be what's irritating Duncan a bit - not the missing article as such, but the implied arrogance that in some way this is "my" carnival, because I once lived there.

But I suppose we all do it in our own spheres. It has been suggested that one of the things putting off new forum members is the tendency to "insiderness".

Blow your raspberries if you like. :)
 Charles Hawtrey - FocalPoint
'It has been suggested that one of the things putting off new forum members is the tendency to "insiderness".'

Yes, and with good reason - it's quite difficult for an "outsider" to break in. A quick glance at this thread is enough - people using previous nicknames ("Lud") and referring to the background of others ("medical") etc.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but that just what this forum has become. As has been said, a bit like a bar where everyone knows everyone else (or at least the regulars) and picks up on things that were said years ago. Of course, it's an illusion - we don't really know each other.

I'm thinking of renaming myself "Observer" (which I am called on another forum), as I seem to be doing far more lurking than contributing these days.

I fancy a Guinness today. Cheers!
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Wed 5 Mar 14 at 10:00
 Charles Hawtrey - Dog
>>I'm thinking of renaming myself "Observer" (which I am called on another forum), as I seem to be doing far more lurking than contributing these days.

I'm with ^this^ geezer.
 Charles Hawtrey - Duncan
>> >>I'm thinking of renaming myself "Observer" (which I am called on another forum), as I
>> seem to be doing far more lurking than contributing these days.
>>
>> I'm with ^this^ geezer.
>>

Well, I think a posting average of more than 8 a day indicates significant contributing - does it not?

Have you changed your name again?
 Charles Hawtrey - Dog
>>Well, I think a posting average of more than 8 a day indicates significant contributing - does it not?

Erm, just returned from a magical mystery tour to check out the price of coal over at St Columb Major, musta done 40 miles (wished I had a sat naf) didn't buy any coal after all (we live and learn!)

8 a day is it, well, that's an average of course (must try harder)

>>Have you changed your name again?

Again? ... I haven't changed my handle since I was The Worlds Most Fabulous Man.

:}
 Charles Hawtrey - VxFan
>> Again? ... I haven't changed my handle since I was The Worlds Most Fabulous Man

And I thought goldfish had short memories ;o)

IIRC, you've also been Lurcher; Petang Yang Kipperbang; James Wellbeloved; The worlds most fabulous dog.

Have I missed any?
 Charles Hawtrey - Dog
>>Lurcher; Petang Yang Kipperbang; James Wellbeloved

Haha! - good ones though, did I actually use James Wellbeloved, I was a'thinking about that recently funnily enough ... "And I thought goldfish had short memories" ;o)
 Charles Hawtrey - Stuartli
There are comedians probably reading this thread and no doubt saying: "Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me?!
Latest Forum Posts