Non-motoring > BBC 3 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ateca chris Replies: 39

BBC 3 - Ateca chris
Rumours that it might be closing down also BBC4 is under threat as well. Wouldn't bother me
if three went dont watch it but do like the documentaries on 4.

tinyurl.com/ps2nstl
 BBC 3 - Robin O'Reliant
4 can be very good, 3 is a waste of money and should never have even started up.
 BBC 3 - Slidingpillar
I was surprised to see the budget for the channels elsewhere. BBC3 is quite expensive. I do watch the odd programme, but far more BBC2 and 4.

However BBC3 is not going to appeal often to me as I'm quite a bit older than their target group, roughly 15-30 I think and poorly served by just about any other channel.
 BBC 3 - RattleandSmoke
Three is a very important channel for young people, I am sure plenty of young people equally feel that BBC 4 is a waste of space! Personally being in my early 30's there is an overlap on both channels and I enjoy programmes on them both.

That said I never got the appeal of Radio 1 even when I was a teenager.
 BBC 3 - TheManWithNoName
I too never 'got' Radio 1 despite being within the demographic.
Mind you I got annoyed when their news bulletins telling me stories of disaster, war, death and famine were overshadowed by an incessant musical back-beat in the background.
Heart FM still do it I believe.
 BBC 3 - Dog
>> Wouldn't bother me if three went dont watch it but do like the documentaries on 4.

I'm with ^this^ geezer.

Three is a very important channel for young people

I'm not with ^these^ geezers.

BBC 3 - Robin O'Reliant
>> Three is a very important channel for young people, I am sure plenty of young
>> people equally feel that BBC 4 is a waste of space! Personally being in my
>> early 30's there is an overlap on both channels and I enjoy programmes on them
>> both.
>>
>>
How many of these "Young people" actually shell out for the licence fee?

In any case all the channel seems to show are repeats or rubbish. And it will still be available online anyway.
 BBC 3 - Bromptonaut
>> How many of these "Young people" actually shell out for the licence fee?

If the target age range is 18-30 then plenty will be young professionals in house shares and like.

In spite of it being on line according to pundits on radio this aft the vast majority of its audience is on conventional TV. Making it on line only will be an interesting experiment in modal shift but I'm not clear how the savings will be made unless there's a cut in original content (or a move to a subscription model).
 BBC 3 - VxFan
>> Rumours that it might be closing down

It's being moved to an online channel only according to themselves.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26447089
 BBC 3 - Tigger
The BBC seem to have a very expensive default way of working - sending much larger crews than other stations.

They also seem to have a very high wage bill for their size.

I recently joined a Government agency which is in the middle of cutting a third of its workforce, and removing layers of management, pushing work down a level. The BBC would do well to do likewise.
 BBC 3 - Tigger
>> It's being moved to an online channel only according to themselves.

I don't see how that saves huge amounts of money?
 BBC 3 - Slidingpillar
I don't see how that saves huge amounts of money?
It won't! Transmission costs form a minor part of the expenses.

But, I've just remembered, somebody high up (DG?) said BBC1 +1 would happen. Doing that sort of explains what will be done with the bandwidth, a primetime BBC1 +1.

Silly if you ask me, I watch TV when I want to watch, and that is rarely at transmission time. A PVR that can record two channels on different multiplexes and play a recording at the same time has revolutionised viewing at SP Towers.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 5 Mar 14 at 16:21
 BBC 3 - Roger.
Quite so: and I can record from my TV onto a USB stick at the same time, too!
Having looked at BBC3's offerings for today, I now know why I rarely, if ever, watch it! What dross.
 BBC 3 - Zero
Its no loss, BBC3 is currently showing a load of stuff you can get elsewhere. Frankly its a sign they have too much bandwidth and not enough media to fill it.

Agree BBC4 would be a loss, some excellent documentaries come out of there.

BBC 3 - Haywain
"Agree BBC4 would be a loss, some excellent documentaries come out of there."

+1; some excellent music also.
 BBC 3 - No FM2R
I wrote a scree and then got timed out. My fault.

To summarise;

Transmission/Broadcast still costs them millions per slot per year.

A +1 is comparatively cheap because there are no additional production/acquisition costs.

A +1 makes some sense for an advertising or subsciption model, for the BBC it simply avoids accusations of spectrum inefficiency.

The BBC is not driven by any metrics that actually have an appropriate impact.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 01:19
 BBC 3 - Ateca chris
They don't need a +1 that's what the massive investment in the I player was for a few years back.
 BBC 3 - Dulwich Estate
Agreed. But, I wouldn't object to a BBC1 + 1 day channel.
 BBC 3 - No FM2R
>> They don't need a +1 that's what the massive investment in the I player was
>> for a few years back.

Not really, the two are complimentary rather than conflicting. There is little overlap or cannibalism.

And the business case for a +1 is quite different.

BBC 3 - Roger.
blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/02/the-millions-in-eu-funding-the-bbc-tried-to-hide/#.UxELtBVg8W0
 BBC 3 - Zero
Yawn......
 BBC 3 - Bromptonaut
>> Yawn......

Wot he said.
 BBC 3 - CGNorwich
And me
 BBC 3 - mikeyb
I fall slightly outside of the target audience, but I will miss "3"

They have bought us a few decent comedy's over the years which would have never been commisioned by more mainstream channels
 BBC 3 - R.P.
Been some excellent comedies on there.
 BBC 3 - Focusless
'Being Human' got pretty good as well.
 BBC 3 - Fenlander
Shame if BBC3 falls off the TV.

Bluestone 42, Bad Education, Dr Who repeats, Him & Her, Little Britain, Being Human, Gavin & Stacey, Mighty Boosh... and of course Snog Marry Avoid.

Losing it makes one less place for risks to be taken with programmes that might otherwise not get made.
 BBC 3 - Focusless
"BBC3 will be merged with CBeebies as the broadcaster puts all its toddler-based programmes under the same roof."

www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/bbc3-to-be-merged-with-cbeebies-2014030584293

:)
 BBC 3 - Roger.
>> Shame if BBC3 falls off the TV.
>>
>> Bluestone 42, Bad Education, Dr Who repeats, Him & Her, Little Britain, Being Human, Gavin & Stacey, Mighty Boosh... and of course Snog Marry Avoid.
>>
>> Losing it makes one less place for risks to be taken with programmes that might
>> otherwise not get made.
>>
>>
I must admit I do watch Bluestone42 :-0 (Blush). Nice Padre!
 BBC 3 - bathtub tom
>>I must admit I do watch Bluestone42 :-0 (Blush). Nice Padre!

Me too, although I think it's the only thing I do watch on there. Thanks to R.P. for recommending it.
 BBC 3 - Slidingpillar
I just watch the occasional film. Comedy does not come over well when subtitled as the timing factor can't be reproduced.

So I'll not miss the channel much.
 BBC 3 - Stuartli
....and, of course, the wonderfully funny Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps series.
 BBC 3 - No FM2R
I enjoyed that. I also loved Coupling, wasn't that a BBC3 show as well?
 BBC 3 - Stuartli
BBC 2.
 BBC 3 - Stuartli
...as was the very funny Game On series with, amongst others, Samantha Janus in the cast.
 BBC 3 - No FM2R
I've never heard of Game On before, but having now looked it up I may well give it a go.
 BBC 3 - Stuartli
If you can find the episode involving a vacuum cleaner, you will laugh your socks off...:-)

Samantha Janus was - and still is - a bonny lassie. She's in EastEnders these days.
 BBC 3 - Stuartli
Series Three and episode 15 for the vacuum cleaner hilarity.
 BBC 3 - Stuartli
Series Three and Episode 5 for Marines And Vacuum Cleaner. Still remember it after more than 14 years since first shown.
 BBC 3 - No FM2R
Thanks Stuart, I'll give it a go over the weekend.
Latest Forum Posts