Non-motoring > RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 18

RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Manatee
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26611394

"She was christened Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson Wright."

Trilby?

Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 17 Mar 14 at 13:00
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Dog
Too many dinners :(
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Haywain
Not my kind of girlie.
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Armel Coussine
Trilby is a girl's name, although an odd one.

66 is a bit young really, but a long-term second-generation alcoholic married to an alcoholic, who then becomes overweight perhaps by eating too much, is somewhat at risk.

I was told yesterday of the death of someone I knew quite well having been his part-time, freelance employee for some 14 years in the sixties and seventies. He was an Ibo from South-Eastern Nigeria and had been an official of the secessionist Ibo-dominated state of Biafra, before going into publishing and later attempting a political comeback.

His death will be big news in Nigeria and sure enough Google produces numerous sites reporting it. Virtually all of them misspell his first name Raph, probably an abbreviation of Raphael, as 'Ralph'. I always thought people did that to take the mickey (in a singularly rude way) but apparently the usual reason is that people CAN'T READ.

We weren't friends really and in the end I fired him as an employer being tired of waiting endlessly for the money and getting West End parking tickets from unsuccessful expeditions to get it. But I'm not dancing on his grave. Got most of the bread in the end, and he wasn't all bad. A Catholic non-smoker and teetotaller, he made it to 80.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 17 Mar 14 at 14:18
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - CGNorwich
Now this is interesting - at least I think so

According to Wikipedia "Trilby" is the name of a book by Daphne Du Maurier..

"Trilby O'Ferrall, the novel's heroine, is a half-Irish girl working in Paris as an artists' model and laundress; all the men in the novel are in love with her"

The novel has been adapted to the stage several times; one of these featured the lead actress wearing a distinctive short-brimmed hat with a sharp snap to the back of the brim. The hat became known as the trilby and went on to become a popular men's clothing item in the United Kingdom"

So the hat is named after the heroine of a novel. Didn't know that.
Nor me. I bet the boss does, she's more literary than what I am.
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Stuartli
Clarissa was a great character - down to earth, no frills and I would imagine terrific company. Never minced her words either..!
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Cliff Pope

>>
>> So the hat is named after the heroine of a novel. Didn't know that.
>>

I'm afraid everybody knew that. :)
>>
>> >>
>> >> So the hat is named after the heroine of a novel. Didn't know that.
>>
>> >>
>>
>> I'm afraid everybody knew that. :)

Herself did know of course. I asked if she knew it (the titfer) was named after a novel.

"Yes. Svengali. George du Maurier". (she's not a talker).

So George, not Daphne.

It had passed me by too. Ignoramus.
Funny how a well know piece of trivia somehow evades you. Right about George. My mistake not Wikipedia's

Now about Homburgs :-)
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Roger.
>>
>> >>
>> >> So the hat is named after the heroine of a novel. Didn't know that.
>>
>> >>
>>
>> I'm afraid everybody knew that. :)
Yep - I did too!
A mine of useless information - good for pub/bar quizzes as long as the Qs are not sport or pop music!
Our team did well in Spain where our usual partners were a sports fanatic & a pop-lover. Paid for some good boozy parties!
Yep, you need balance in pub quizzes. Our team always failed dismallly due to our lack of knowledge of popular culture until we recruited a young lady whose main interests were TV soaps and celebrity magazines. Didn't look back after that.
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - J Bonington Jagworth
According to the Telegraph obit, the other fat lady, Jennifer Paterson, was a genuine biker, and I always felt it was a shame they had to be provided with a shiny modern combination for TV. An older outfit would have been more convincing and in keeping.

We have a local farmer/restauranter with a Highland cow called Clarissa, after her...
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Skip
At least she had a goodly life of excess & more & won't fester away in a nursing home being neglected/abused when she is 80 + years old !

Fantastically un pc too !

RIP Clarissa
Last edited by: Skip on Mon 17 Mar 14 at 17:01
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - J Bonington Jagworth
She was un pc all right, bless her!

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10703094/The-Wit-and-Wisdom-of-Clarissa-Dickson-Wright.html

I gather she also hospitalised two muggers, for which medals seem to be unavailable.
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Paul Robinson
RIP indeed - her autobiography Spilling the beans is fantastic and a real education.
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Roger.
Seconded.
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Mapmaker
In person she was very jolly and terribly charming. Met her a few times, and whilst I'm sure she didn't know my name she always greeted me like a long-lost friend.
 RIP One Fat Lady - Clarissa Dickson Wright - Stuu
She lived as she pleased and said what she thought, heaven gained a good'un.
Latest Forum Posts