Non-motoring > New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 46

New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26632863

I have certainly found fake one pound coins.

"The threepenny bit - also variously known as a Joey or a thruppence - was in circulation between 1937 and 1971"

In my family a thruppenny Joey was the silver coin, of which I have a small OXO tin box full. I have never known the later brass job called a Joey.
( The tradition in our family was to put a silver Joey in the Christmas pudding. )
My mother came from Gloucestershire so was it just a regional variation in name ?

The Royal Mint says
"Thruppenny bit – also variously known as a Joey or a thruppence, this coin is still manufactured in very small numbers by The Royal Mint for inclusion in sets of Maundy Money."
It also says
" the coins used for the Maundy ceremony have traditionally been struck in sterling silver"
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Lygonos
I'd like to get my hands on a couple of pristine thrupennies.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 19 Mar 14 at 01:15
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Armel Coussine
Always thought physicians got to do it all the time, but one lives and learns.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Zero
>> I'd like to get my hands on a couple of pristine thrupennies.

How times come round to repeat. In numismatic terms and colloquial expressions, but alas not in sexual proclivity.

Little chance now to utter the timeless phrase "gisa cop of yer frupknees dahlin"

New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Roger.
Lecher!
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Dog
Me ole mum used to save brass thrupenny bits in the olde Birds custard tins, I vaguely remember the silver jobbies, although a Joey to me is a name for a budgie :)

Does one still use money in the 21st century? .. I rarely use (or see) the stuff actually, although I wouldn't say no to some more of it.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Old Navy
>> Does one still use money in the 21st century? .. I rarely use (or see)
>> the stuff actually, although I wouldn't say no to some more of it.
>>

You will find it useful if there is a prolonged, widespread power cut or the computer geeks screw things up (again).
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Wed 19 Mar 14 at 08:19
>>You will find it useful if there is a prolonged, widespread power cut or the computer geeks screw things up (again).

Blimey! - wouldn't it be awful to be without the internet ... how would we all survive!!

Neighb, 75 year old proper- Cornish woman, lives alone in her 18th century stone cottage, no central heating, just a wood burner for which I hear her chopping wood every day which does nothing for her poor arthritic wrists, I've offered to show her how to use a computer, but she's mad enough all ready (in the nicest possible way)

I've been given the task of sourcing a replacement for her 07 Megane Est ... trouble with the, erm, electrics, I hear.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Cliff Pope
"Noun.
1. A friend or acquaintence who is regarded a fool or weakling, and often has to bear the brunt of jokes. Believed to be derived from the rhyming slang Joe Hunt, meaning '****'.

2. An imbecile. Derived from the name Joey Deacon, a physically handicapped (cerebral palsy) guest on a British children's TV programme called Blue Peter in the 1970s; consequently his name was cruelly adopted by children as an insult. Derog. Cf. 'deacon'. "
I dare say the new £1 coin will have about the purchasing power of the old 3d piece.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Crankcase
Guardian:
"The Queen will be on the “heads” side of the coin, and there will be a public competition to decide what should appear on the “tails” side."

So - what do you want to see on the "tails" side?
>>what do you want to see on the "tails" side?

Nigel Farage??
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Slidingpillar
A joey is a silver thrupeny bit, not the later 14 sided brass ones. But since the news can't count and are calling them twelve sided, take the 'news' with a pinch of salt.
12 faces on the rim and head and tail equal 14.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - J Bonington Jagworth
"calling them twelve sided"

How many sides would you say a round coin had - two, three or infinite? :-)
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Slidingpillar
How many sides would you say a round coin had - two, three or infinite? :-)
Three :o)
A large £ emblem will do.
Last edited by: Illegitimi non carborundum on Wed 19 Mar 14 at 11:11
>>A large £ emblem will do.

Nice one!
:-)
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Robin O'Reliant
>>

>> So - what do you want to see on the "tails" side?
>>

Pippa Middleton's bottom.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Wed 19 Mar 14 at 11:32
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - VxFan
>> 2. An imbecile. Derived from the name Joey Deacon,
>> his name was cruelly adopted by children as an insult

Yep, I can remember at school, any 'special' people were called Joey. And also those who had a thick moment too.

"a fool or weakling"

I've always favoured 'berk' as an insult. Useful thing, rhyming slang.
"the most secure in the world" according to the Beeb.

Surely 11-sided would be more secure..?
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins.bit - Cliff Pope
>> "the most secure in the world" according to the Beeb.
>>

Doesn't security simply involve making the design complicated enough so that the cost of manufacturing a fake exceeds £1? They don't have holograms or chips do they?
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - henry k
>> Doesn't security simply involve making the design complicated enough so that the cost of manufacturing a fake exceeds £1?
>>
I do not recall reading anything about fake £2 coins.
Is the two colour design deterring the rogues ?
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - Meldrew
I wonder if the manufacturers and users of meters, vending machines, self-checkouts and supermarket trolleys were consulted before this was announced and presented as a done deal?
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - Zero
>> I wonder if the manufacturers and users of meters, vending machines, self-checkouts and supermarket trolleys
>> were consulted before this was announced and presented as a done deal?

Changing coinage recognition, in machinery (and notes in ATM's) is a given known risk, it happens all the time - inflation sees to that.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - Bromptonaut
>> I wonder if the manufacturers and users of meters, vending machines, self-checkouts and supermarket trolleys
>> were consulted before this was announced and presented as a done deal?

Guy from Royal Mint was talking about this on radio earlier today. There would have been some discussion with relevant trade bodies beforehand and there will be ongoing engagement to ensure timings and other practicalities work. All been done before, most recently with changess to 5p/10p.

£1 is a big challenge though because of its use not just in vending machines but supermarket and luggage etc trolleys. Maybe that new coin will be interchangeable with old in those applications where validating the coin is less important than in vending. Pretty well all take tokens and many will accept either pound or euro.

>> but supermarket and luggage etc trolleys.

Everyone I know uses a token thing on their keyring.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - Alanovich
I thought Zero and the Surreyists didn't shop in places where you need a coin/token for the trolleys?
>> I thought Zero and the Surreyists didn't shop in places where you need a coin/token
>> for the trolleys?

You lot keep telling me to shop in Aldi.
>> Guy from Royal Mint was talking about this on radio earlier today. There would have been some discussion with relevant trade bodies beforehand and there will be ongoing engagement to ensure timings and other practicalities work. All been done before, most recently with changes to 5p/10p.
>>
Really ? How long have the steel 10p been in circulation?
Any new 10p coins plus 1p, 2p and 5p coins I get are put in my charity piggy bank.
The new 10p coins fail in local car park ticket machines so any old 10p coins go in my car parking fund.

>> Really ? How long have the steel 10p been in circulation?
>> Any new 10p coins plus 1p, 2p and 5p coins I get are put in
>> my charity piggy bank.
>> The new 10p coins fail in local car park ticket machines so any old 10p
>> coins go in my car parking fund.

Have to admit I thought he was talking about the change in size from matching the old shilling/florin to current. In fact that was over 20yrs ago. Clearly it was actually the change to steel, with an increase in thickness to maintain weight, that he spoke of.

A check through my change pot with a magnet identified 3 steel 10p and 4 of the 5p. Not noticed them as a problem in P&D car parks - the on street machines in Sheffield are VERY picky about pound coins though.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - No FM2R
>> I wonder if the manufacturers and users of meters, vending machines, self-checkouts
>> and supermarket trolleys were consulted before this was announced and presented as a done deal?

Funnily enough yesterday the report from the BBC said that this had already been done. Today the same link goes to a report that says that it will be done.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 19 Mar 14 at 16:47
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - Cliff Pope
If I were a forger looking for a manufacturing opportunity I'd pick £5 notes.

There is a chronic shortage, so people are really keen to grab them, and because of the shortage they are all very tatty and faded, so no one looks at them closely.

I'd be laundering a few of those through the Hotpoint to get them suitably bleached.
>> If I were a forger looking for a manufacturing opportunity I'd pick £5 notes.
>>
>> There is a chronic shortage, so people are really keen to grab them, and because
>> of the shortage they are all very tatty and faded, so no one looks at
>> them closely.
>>
>> I'd be laundering a few of those through the Hotpoint to get them suitably bleached.

Wouldn't invest in the plates and press if were you, plastic notes are on the way.
>>Wouldn't invest in the plates and press if were you, plastic notes are on the way.
I thought someone would see through that :-)
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - Ted

Never seen the point of the quid to release the trolley. If I wanted a good sturdy set of castors I'd quite happily forfeit my pound.

As it happens, they're safe, I already have one, stripped of all it's superstructure. Makes a good engine trolley. Found it at the tip years ago.

HO
>>
>> Never seen the point of the quid to release the trolley. If I wanted a
>> good sturdy set of castors I'd quite happily forfeit my pound.

I think aim is to prevent them being taken home and forgotten or pushed into the canal.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - Runfer D'Hills
Curious really how at our local Morrisons you have to insert a coin to obtain a trolley, at Sainsburys the customer is trusted to return it without having to use a coin and at Waitrose there is a polite assistant waiting to give you a trolley as you arrive and will come to your car to collect it when they see that you have finished unloading.

I've never really tried stealing anything much but if I were to take it up I really don't think I'd bother nicking shopping trolleys. Bank heists maybe, but shopping trolleys? Seems more inconvenient than potentially profitable. Perhaps I don't understand.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - No FM2R
Nothing to do with them being stolen;

1) They don't have to pay someone to wander around the car park gathering them up.

2) If one is abandoned off site and causes an issue, they can show that they are responsible and already taking reasonable steps and so should not be seen as irresponsible, negligent or careless.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - rtj70
I agree with Mark that it's to get people to leave trolleys in the right places. Some supermarkets have magnets on one wheel to stop trolleys being wheeled off the supermarket site.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - Cliff Pope
>> Some supermarkets have magnets on one wheel to stop trolleys being wheeled off the
>> supermarket site.
>>

They must be quite powerful magnets then. Wouldn't all the trolleys attach themselves to departing cars? :)
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - Focusless
I'm curious to know how they work - is it that passing over the strip activates some sort of brake?
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - VxFan
>> Some supermarkets have magnets on one wheel to stop trolleys being wheeled off the
>> supermarket site.

There is a magnet device of some kind (or possibly an RF transmitter) in the ground (usually surrounding the perimiter of the supermarket carpark), which triggers a braking device on the trolley should it get pushed over it.

Tesco, Swindon have an escalator which takes you to their clothes/Mob phone/household electronics dept. They have a similar device built into the escalator to stop the trolley from moving while you're on it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 20 Mar 14 at 10:27
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - Crankcase
However it works, it's certainly true that a fair percentage of the trolleys I take at Tesco have that wheel locking device partially enabled as I wheel it round the store.

Of course, it never manifests itself until I reach the potatoes, when it's too late to swap it.
I put dodgy supermarket trolleys right up there with the "things that make me explode with wrath", along with malfunctioning computer mouses.

>> Tesco, Swindon have an escalator which takes you to their clothes/Mob phone/household electronics dept.
>> They have a similar device built into the escalator to stop the trolley from moving while
>> you're on it.
>>
As an aside. I contacted Johannesburg Airport to ask them to put warning messages on their travelators to say "Use the brakes" as they do not have a " Tesco brake" .
Pushing a very heavy baggage cart onto the belt only to find it reversing on to you is not funny.
 New one pound coin and Thruppenny coins. - WillDeBeest
I do not recall reading anything about fake £2 coins.
Is the two colour design deterring the rogues?

Don't know, but I have a counterfeit version of the bimetallic 10FF coin from (obviously) pre-euro days. It's dated 1988, although I've no reason to trust that. I got it in 1996. The bakery proprietress who gently explained that it was fausse showed me that it's not even a very good fake: the silver centre is merely plated on to the brass base, rather than being forged from two metals, and it's rubbing off, nor is the lettering as raised as on a real one.

It works French trolley locks, though, so I carry it for that purpose, and as a memento of that first trip with Mrs Beest.
Latest Forum Posts