Non-motoring > Statins Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 72

Statins - Crankcase
At my last "medication review" I was advised to start on statins. I elected not to at that point, only because I don't like taking things unless I really really have to and if there's ever going to be a side effect it's me that going to get it, in my experience. I expect I'll be gradually pressured more to take them as time goes by though.

The media is full of articles saying they are a good thing, and apparently just as many saying there not. If you dig about in the positive research they quote it often seems to be sponsored by the drug companies which clouds the issues for me.

So. Does anyone here take them, and what's your experience or thoughts? Have your legs fallen off?
 Statins - Lygonos
Taking a statin every day reduces your risk of having a heart attack by about 20-25% (and other 'vascular' events such as stroke by a smaller degree).

There's about a 1 in 5000 chance you'll take a very serious reaction where your muscles become inflamed, and a few % chance of other less interesting side effects (that go away if you stop them).

It appears taking a statin slightly increases your chances of getting type 2 diabetes, but this risk appears still outweighed by the benefits.

Ultimately, the average person taking a statin will never see any benefit from doing so, but a few people will have their life potentially extended by 10-20 years because they don't have a heart attack they were destined to have.

qrisk.org/

My 10 year risk is 1.8%, meaning if I took a statin it would likely drop to around 1.4%. That means if 1000 Lygonos took a statin every day for the next 10 years, 14 of us would have a heart attack or stroke, and 986 would not (4 of whom because they took a statin) - personally I don't think taking a statin every day for 10 years is worth it for a 0.4% chance of dodging a heart attack - if my risk was 30% then the chance of that statin 'saving' me would be more like 6-7% - a more worthwhile level of benefit IMO.

Current guidelines suggest anyone who scores 20% or greater 10 year risk of heart disease should be offered a statin.

Heart disease kills 30-35% of the population.

Summary: do what YOU want, but do it with the right information to make the decision.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 22 Mar 14 at 07:10
 Statins - madf
Being elderly my 10 year risk says 14%...So does this mean I should take statins? ##(Relative risk is 0.7)

I think I'll continue with the gin and tonic instead..

## Rehetorical question.
Last edited by: madf on Sat 22 Mar 14 at 07:42
 Statins - Crankcase
I already have type 2 diabetes, diagnosed in the last year or two. Can a statin exacerbate it?

Statins - Lygonos
>>I already have type 2 diabetes, diagnosed in the last year or two. Can a statin exacerbate it?

No, but T2DM is a very great risk factor for heart disease (amongst other complications) and statins reduce this risk.

Anyone with T2DM is recommended to take a statin pretty much from day one (at least if they are over 40)
 Statins - Crankcase
Oh. Well it's been a couple of years and they only just suggested it. Early fifties. That's useful info though thank you. I suppose I could try and see.
 Statins - Roger.
Well - I have AF, plus hypertension like many fat old gits, so I take Pravastatin.
I guess my risk factor is high!
 Statins - henry k
>> There's about a 1 in 5000 chance you'll take a very serious reaction where your muscles become inflamed, and a few % chance of other less interesting side effects (that go away if you stop them)
>>
Perhaps I am a 1 in 5000 chance ?
Some years ago I was encouraged by my excellent GPs to take statins.

After suffering significant joint/ muscle pains for some months I decided to stop using the pills.
To my surprise and joy ALL these symptoms went within 48 hours.

Side effects ?
I also had what I would describe as some sort of Alopecia
An quite large area of hair started to go white on the top back of my head. looking a bit like a monk?
This too reversed when I stopped the pills.
I have the photos to show the effect ( that I of course could not directly see) so not my imagination.
The reversal process too some weeks

I have not tried any newer versions of statins.
 Statins - Lygonos
>>After suffering significant joint/ muscle pains for some months I decided to stop using the pills.

That's not the '1 in 5000' risk I meant - muscle aches and pains are fairly common and completely reversible, but the condition 'rhabdomyolysis' is the nasty one.

Some people find one statin better tolerated than another, and some find lower doses better tolerated than higher ones.
 Statins - Mike H
>> Summary: do what YOU want, but do it with the right information to make the
>> decision.
>>

...and there's the rub - exactly what IS the right information??
 Statins - Mike H
Thinking about statins has been happening in our household as well. My wife started taking them 3 years ago, when she was just on 60. Whether it's coincidence or not, since then she has had increasing difficulty climbing uphill due to weakness and burning in her thigh muscles. On the flat and downhill, no problems. Earlier this week, unbeknown to me, she stopped talking them and, when we went out for a walk on one of our regular routes yesterday, she told me, because she found that she had no problems on the uphill sections. It wasn't a very good test as it's not particularly steep. However, as I write this, she's told me that she walked up a relatively steep cobbled street yesterday evening in high heels, and felt no pain or weakness at all! Sounds like we need a proper controlled test.

Seems also that the rheumatism-associated pains in her hands have gone as well.

On the same subject, we met some friends here a couple of years ago, the wife being a retired GP, and we got to talking about the subject. Her take was that my wife's problems were almost certainly statin-related, and that she herself would not take them because of the side effects.

Edit: I read somewhere that doctors are on a bonus for each patient they get onto statins :o
Last edited by: Mike H on Sat 22 Mar 14 at 09:43
 Statins - Crankcase
It's those kind of stories that put me off, though I know that I ought to look at. the statistical studies across large samples. But somehow personal stories feel more convincing, odd though that is.
 Statins - Runfer D'Hills
I might be in terrible condition, I really wouldn't know. Haven't ever been one for going to the doctors.

Had to go a few times usually for an assessment for insurance or when moving house and signing up with a new surgery. So far they've been kind enough to tell me I'm fine but it must be 12 years since I last visited one so I might falling apart. I'd probably prefer not to know.

I prefer regular excercise and sensible eating as a personal health plan.

I may well not live to regret that !
 Statins - Lygonos
>>Edit: I read somewhere that doctors are on a bonus for each patient they get onto statins

Sort of.

The 'new' contract from 2004 has about 1/3 of GP pay made up from 'quality indicators'

This in turn is made of a myriad of factors, all worth different numbers of points (points = ££).

F'rinstance, anyone coded as having heart disease should be on a statin - the more on statins, the more ££ are awarded. Likewise they should all have had their BP measured within the previous year, and it should be below a certain threshold, etc etc

'Dissenters' however can be excluded from the calculations by adding a code (ie. ticking a box) so it's not quite as mercenary as it seems at first.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 22 Mar 14 at 10:55
 Statins - Robin O'Reliant
Lygonos,

Your medical knowledge can be invaluable here. How about running a regular Saturday morning surgery on the forum? I'm sure I'm not the only hypochondriac here.
 Statins - Lygonos
Not sure my 'malpractice' insurance would cover the inevitable deaths ;-)
 Statins - NortonES2
But think of the material for conferences!
 Statins - Cliff Pope
Statin sounds like the name of a Russian dictator.
 Statins - bathtub tom
I've had paroxysmal atrial fibrillation for years, for which I took aspirin.

I had a 'mini stroke' (Transient Ischaemic Attack), after which my consultant prescribed statins (Simvastatin), beta blockers (atenolol) and I talked him into letting me take dabigatran rather than warfarin (anti clotting). I've low cholesterol and when I protested I didn't need statins his response was "they'll be putting them in the water before long".

Shortly after, I would often wake through the night due to hip discomfort. My GP changed the Simvastatin for Atorvastatin, not unusual I understand. He also exclaimed "Dabigatran - do you know how much that costs?"

Talking to others on statins, it would appear it's usual to start off on the cheapest (Simvastatin) and move onto others if side effects appear.

I intend to have a rest from the Atovastatin soon, to see if my 'aches and pains' improve. The problem is, I've also arthritis, an impinged shoulder................................
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sat 22 Mar 14 at 12:32
 Statins - devonite
Was started on Pravastatin 40mg about 10 years ago to help reduce Cholesterol. Seemed to tolerate it quite well. and cholesterol dropped to 7.7 over about 3 years. Was then decided that this was still too high and I was changed to 40mg Simvastatin, for the first couple of months my calf Muscles felt very achy and tender, then this eased. It was found that my Cholesterol had reduced further, down to 6.8, which was deemed still to high, so my dosage was raised to 80mg. This had the effect of dropping my Cholesterol down to 4.7, but I was virtually crippled with leg and hand pain. I was taken off them for 6 months during which time the problem,s cleared up, but my cholesterol also re-raised, this time I was restarted on Atorvastatin 20mg, and barely know that I'm taking them, my Cholesterol has dropped and is now just slightly out of the desired range, but this for me seems a fair trade off, and one I'm happy to stick with, at least for now!
 Statins - Mr. Ecs
Placed on Simvastatin when diagnosed with T2D 6 years ago. Cholesterol dropped from 5.8 to 3.4. No real side effects with me, but I would rather lose my hair than die early from a cardiac episode.
 Statins - Fenlander
An unsatisfactory statin experience for me. Prescribed as a routine thing but found I was experiencing cramps when cycling and waking at night with leg aches. Stopped them for a month and side effects went. Tried a different brand but same issues so stopped taking them with doctors agreement.
 Statins - NortonES2
I'm on daily porridge. Cholesterol below 5 IIRC. Will be going for a chat soon with GP. Joint pains due to amlodopine and lisinopril, I think. Would not wish to give up walks with Oscar our Boxer dog (at least an hour) due to immobility. Oscar not keen either. No doubt will be told it's a figment...
 Statins - Ambo
Following an Transient Ischaemic Attack and the fitting of a pacemaker I was put on simvastatin. I experienced increased night leg cramps, joint pains and muscle wastage, together with a constant, mild out-of-sorts feeling. I was switched to pravastatin, then rosuvastatin to no effect and finally stopped statins altogether, with some improvement. After a year I was put on Fenobirate to reduce cholesterol but this affected my sense of balance, an effect being to lower blood pressure. As a new cholesterol test was good I was taken off that. The cramps have gone and I feel better generally but the muscles have probably gone for good.

It seems atorvastatin has far fewer side effects but the NHS doesn't like it as it expensive.
 Statins - Focusless
>> The media is full of articles saying they are a good thing, and apparently just
>> as many saying there not.

Eg. BBC today: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26695948

Fears over statins use are 'misleading'

Prof Sir Rory Collins said two critical articles published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) were flawed.

But BMJ editor Dr Fiona Godlee said they were well researched.
 Statins - NortonES2
Who to believe? Very difficult for patients to judge. I'm sure GP's would rather not have repeated debates with patients who have half-digested the issues. but then, is not the GP in a mirror image situation? When I'm convinced that full access is given to the undisclosed data held by certain interested parties, and that bias is considered in assessing trials, I might be more open to suggestions on treatment. At the moment, trials are not transparent, and the Yellow Card scheme (reporting adverse side effects to MHRA) remains little used. Apparently patients can use the YC scheme to report to MHRA: never been aware of that before Googling today.

I came across this article: www.ti.ubc.ca/letter77 on statins.

Here is the Therapeutic Initiative opening statement as it were: "The Therapeutics Initiative (TI) was established in 1994 by the Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics in cooperation with the Department of Family Practice at The University of British Columbia with its mission to provide physicians and pharmacists with up-to-date, evidence-based, practical information on prescription drug therapy."
Last edited by: NIL on Sat 22 Mar 14 at 16:52
 Statins - Robbie34
I have Type 2 Diabetes and take a statin. Some years ago I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and was prescribed pain killers. I was also advised to wear trainers with cushioned heels. At the time I was prescribed Pravastatin. Some years later I was at my holiday home in France and reading an article in the Sunday Telegraph by Dr. Le Fanu. This concerned statins causing problems, so I stopped taking my statins. After a couple of days my heel spur disappeared. I left it for a week and was totally without any pain. I took my statins again to see if it was psychosomatic, but my pain returned so I discontinued the Pravastatin. For the rest of my stay - about two months - I was pain free.

When I returned home I saw my GP who conformed it must have been Pravastatin causing my plantar fasciitis, and he prescribed Atorvastatin. Since taking this I've not had any problems.
 Statins - Baz
Despite running all my life and eating fairly healthily, my cholesterol was 8.6 a couple of years ago, due in part to hypothyroidism. I am now on Pravastatin 40 mg daily and it is now around 5 to 5.5. No side effects. Since October I have cut down significantly on carbs and sat fats, trying to maintain a diet of about 1500 to under 2000 calories a day. I've lost nearly a stone, so am interested in what the next blood tests reveal.
 Statins - Roger.
I have chronic 24/7 back pain, both sciatic related and "normal" lower back pain.
A spinal reduction (twice in one year) has reduced but eliminated the sciatic nerve originated pain. Tramadol works, but I've kicked that into touch as a regular medication. Fairly hefty doses of codeine work to an extent, but recently have made me feel generally pretty grotty, with lower than usual, for me, BP and easily provoked dizziness when rising too quickly, so have now ditched that too. (Two days ago & I feel better).
Paracetamol is left, but it hardly works at all, so I might try dropping the Pravstatin to see if that helps the ordinary, non sciatic nerve induced, aches and pains. It would be nice to feel my feet properly, too! (Oddly, I have both lack of feeling in my trotters and pain across the top just where the toes start!)
I'm a wreck :-)
 Statins - Dog
Give acupuncture a go stu, it wont cure the source of the pain but it can often bring relief - without drugs.

preview.tinyurl.com/puggroz
 Statins - Westpig
Just a quick note of thanks to Lygonos for his well written and knowledgeable advice. Seems like it is most relevant on here.

it's an interesting subject for me, being 50 and overweight with slightly raised BP (152/92 being the highest the figures reach, although not together and usually lower).

I was taking half an aspirin a day after something I read in the Telegraph.. .but then my s-i-l (a GP) told me not to bother, so I don't now.

It's sometimes difficult to make sensible decisions if the waters are muddied and you don't want to be a hypochondriac or PITA.

Furthermore, I'm conscious of the fact that doctors don't want constant busman's holidays, so the advice is well received.
 Statins - Roger.
www.telegraph.co.uk/health/10717431/Why-Ive-ditched-statins-for-good.html
 Statins - devonite
Hmm! Dog has been barking about the evils of the "white Death" for years! - maybe he's been right all along!

P.S Doggles, it appears that according to that chap, red-meat is good for you! - so kick the veggies and treat yourself to a bone! '-)
Last edited by: devonite on Mon 24 Mar 14 at 00:19
 Statins - Dog
=>it appears that according to that chap, red-meat is good for you!

I would agree to a certain extent comrade ike, I haven't eaten any meat or poultry for over a year now but I feel my body needs the protein, amino acids, and vital-mins etc. especially B12 but, I don't want to eat animals you see,
so I'll just have to suffer - and blame my designer.
 Statins - Pat
Thanks for that link Stu, I've just had results back of a 5.6 cholesterol level and my Doctor wants to prescribe statins.

I don't want them even though I come up as a 25.2 risk on the chart at the top of the thread.

I have enough joint pain already without adding to it, for what might well be no good reason.

Pat
 Statins - Crankcase
The risk calculator puts me at 15%. If I change the cholesterol figure to just 4, assuming a statin would get me there from 5.3, it changes to 12.1%. The only other factor I could control there is weight. If I lose a stone, down to 11 stone, the risk factor drops to 12%.

It all feels a bit tinkering around the edges to be honest. At this rate the act of worrying about the heart attack is going make a bigger contribution to having one!
 Statins - Duncan
Mine comes out at 40.2%. It says something about 'heart attack in a 1st degree relative under 60', whatever that means. I am not aware of a relative having a heart attack.
 Statins - Lygonos
'heart attack in a 1st degree relative under 60'

1st degree means 1 step away on a family tree, eg parent/sibling/child.

About 1 in 3 of us will die from heart disease (much higher in diabetics, hence the 'love' for offering them statins) so finding deaths in the extended family is not exactly rare.
 Statins - Crankcase
Just to add to my own post - I also discover I can have a bigger effect on the calculator than reducing my cholesterol by changing my postcode.

Blow the statin, I'll just move.
 Statins - Zero
>> Just to add to my own post - I also discover I can have a
>> bigger effect on the calculator than reducing my cholesterol by changing my postcode.
>>
>> Blow the statin, I'll just move.

Thats the more expensive option.
 Statins - Lygonos
Pat, as a lifelong smoker I'd be surprised, and to be honest rather disappointed, if you looked favourably at any intervention that reduced your heart attack risk.

Obviousy the thousands of toxic chemicals in tobacco smoke make you feel better than you would without them.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 24 Mar 14 at 07:09
 Statins - Pat
That's one way of looking at it Lygonos, but at least I won't be putting the cost of lifelong statins on to my healthcare budget!

I despair of the way it works at times.

I was asked to make appointments for BP check, fasting blood test and non fasting blood test.
I asked if they could all be done at one appointment and was told I had to go home and eat before the second blood test. (Thyroid)
Got Two texts confirming both appointments

I arrived at 8.30 for the fasting one and was told they were all being done together but nobody had bothered to tell me.

BP was slightly high so I was asked to do seven days of readings and submit a urine sample for a kidney function test with the readings.

The following day they called me to make a follow up appointment to 'discuss' my results.
I explained they hadn't got the results yet and asked why I would need to take up an appointment if the results proved to be OK?

Mmm, we like to do face to face follow ups, was the answer.

I declined and BP ended up at average 136/65, urine fine, thyroid fine and cholesterol as above so we have agreed a telephone interview at the end of April (first one available) for me to decline statins.

Why all the texts? Why all the appointments? Why not save their resources for others who need them more than me at the moment?

Same thing happened last year and I ended up worrying because they wanted to see me only to be told everything was ok when I got there.

I'm also having HGV Medicals every July now so it's a bit OTT.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Mon 24 Mar 14 at 09:28
 Statins - Slidingpillar
Bet you had what they call 'white coat syndrome' where the anxiety of taking one blood pressure leads to the measurement being high. The model I have is not now available but Lloyds Chemist still do a reasonably cheap unit at £14.99
 Statins - Lygonos
Welcome to the world of 'Preventative Medicine'.

This basically translates to 'give loads of people who are currently well a bunch of medications to reduce risk factors that are completely symptomless in the hope that less of them will die or become disabled prematurely in the future, while hoping to cause less harm than the benefit so obtained.'

Don't worry - I'm as skeptical as the next guy about some of this guff.

However... those at very high risk are most likely to benefit and should give it some serious thought.

Irreversible side effects (other than death) don't really occur so it is worth considering the treatments +/- lifestyle measures.

I'm not entirely being facetious when I expect a motorcycle riding smoker who cares more about other people than her own needs declines such intervention - I'm not mocking, honest!
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 24 Mar 14 at 14:50
 Statins - Pat
I did realise that Lygonos:)

I know I'm not perfect by any means, but I'm happy to take that horrible Benecol drink for a few months, try and exercise a bit more and lose a tad more weight.

Exercise is hard in the winter when it's cold and the bones won't work and I suspect that has contributed to the recent reading. BMI is 28.52 so there is a bit of work there but I draw the line at not eating cheese at all.

Ripe stilton, glass of red wine on a sunny patio with a ciggy.....heaven!

Pat
 Statins - Pat
While I'm on my soapbox:)

Here's another way they waste money!

I had my thyroid op in 1978 and since then I've been given free prescription's....for everything, not just Thyroxine which would have made sense and saved the NHS more money;)

....not that I'm ungrateful, but I do know people who really need medication and find it so hard to pay the fee now to the point they don't go to the Doc's when they should do.

It needs a woman in charge....

Pat
 Statins - Westpig
>> It needs a woman in charge....

When Maggie and Liz were the head honchos the country ran very well...so 'yes please' I'll have more of that.

Ah, just thought about it...Harriet Harman...maybe I'll reserve judgement.
 Statins - Lygonos
>>When Maggie and Liz were the head honchos the country ran very well

Unless you were PC Blakelock.
 Statins - Zero
when did Liz stop being one of the head honchos?

More to the point, was she ever?
 Statins - Ambo
>>I had my thyroid op in 1978 and since then I've been given free prescription's....

Do they include Hormone Replacement Therapy? This was prescribed for my daughter but a change of GP (because of a job move) led to an argument over the free part. She was quoted about £4000 per annum but luckily the new GP (or maybe it was an NHS controller) relented.
 Statins - Ambo
Sorry, got that wrong. It was pituitary, not thyroid.
 Statins - Zero
Doh I dunno,. Cant tell your left gland from your right gland.
 Statins - Lygonos
>>She was quoted about £4000 per annum

Eh? Prescription charges are (in England as everywhere else has ditched them) about £8 per item, whatever the component drugs cost.

And as HRT costs about £5-10 per month I'm not sure what your daughter was taking.

If she was having to pay for hormones for IVF treatment which is very different to HRT (when the NHS won't pay, for example after she already has children or has had 2 or 3 failed cycles already) then I believe it's around £1000-1500 per cycle for the drugs.

Anyhoo, I think prescription charges are largely pointless: 90% of people don't have to pay the charges, and the 10% who do are those who are already paying for the NHS through the tax they pay by working (yeah, I know pensioners pay tax and everyone pays VAT but you know what I mean).

It would stick in my craw to pay £8 for £2 worth of amoxicillin too!

edit: ah pituitary hormones are a tad pricier but I can't think of any situation when a patient would have to pay for them instead of the NHS supplying them.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 24 Mar 14 at 20:40
 Statins - Pat
>>but I'm happy to take that horrible Benecol drink for a few months<<

Has anyone else tried this and did it work?

It tastes horrible and should be made in pork crackling, pork pie or beef dripping flavour, not Blueberry and Passion fruit.

Pat
 Statins - Crankcase
I tried the spread for a few months. I also tried that Flora stuff.

It tasted unpleasant, it made no difference to my readings at the the next check up, and of course there are loads of articles and threads on the net, much like this thread, that say it's worse for you than butter and has loads of harmful things in it, along with as many saying the opposite.

Proper poking about for research and actual trial results seemed to lead to the usual conclusions for me. Possible (at best) benefit of a minor nature to a small subset of people in highly defined circumstances, and lots of other trails leading to results sponsored by those with a financial interest in promoting it.

Your research or conclusions may differ, but I gave it up and went back to butter.

Statins - Lygonos
As far as I know there is not a shred of evidence that Benecol et al make a toot of difference to cardiovascular event risk, despite a marginal reduction in cholesterol (some people exhibit a 5-10% drop in their cholesterol compared to a 25-40% drop expected with a statin).

Statins do more than simply lower blood cholesterol levels: it appears they actually stabilise the fatty plaques in your coronary arteries, reducing the likelihood of them bursting and blocking the artery (= a heart attack).

This is probably why taking a statin after having had a heart attack substantially reduces the risk of another, despite the probablility of your coronaries already being diseased,
 Statins - Pat
Thanks, informed choices are far better than non informed ones!

Pat
 Statins - Roger.
Ceasing Pravastatin made no difference to aches & pains.
Back on it now.
 Statins - henry k
I started statins again a few weeks ago and have not registered any side effects.
I will now take them for the rest of my days.

Just back from five days in the Cardiac dept of two hospitals.
Started as a non emergency, and being driven in as day case investigation of stable angina.

Am now sorted and have gained two stents, a test says I have NSTEMI plus a collection of pills per day.
No driving for two weeks.
I believe the driving ban is to avoid strain ( emergency braking) opening either of my groin punctures.
Last week I could not walk to the shops 200 yards away but had to drive.
Now I should be able to walk to the shops but not carry shopping / weight.

So rehab and a big wake up call !

Statins - Lygonos
NSTEMI (non-ST elevation myocardial infarction) means a heart attack without the classical signs on ECG (usually diagnosed with heart-type chest pain and a rise in heart related blood tests)

Pretty sure the driving ban is four weeks after an MI.

The stents should make you feel a lot better.

The drugs should help you live longer.

Assuming all goes to plan and you stick into the cardiac rehabilitation, within a few months you should be feeling fitter than you have for some time!
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 12:57
 Statins - henry k
Thanks Lygonos.
They have told me 2 weeks driving ban
I am feeling a hell of a lot better. Activity no longer creates the chest pain.
I was confined to the house most of the time and even then some basic activity could trigger things.
I went in for a femoral approach coronary angiogram but got angina as I left the operating table.
I needed GT spray then treatment / drip for low blood pressure.
After transferred and stents fitted I gained punctures in both groins so am walking like a cowboy.
I will try to do as I am told!!!

Statins - Ted

I have no angina at all after the by-pass 2 years ago. No pain, I can walk about with no discomfort but I can't stand without using my stick or leaning on something.

I had an angiogram through the groin 20 yrs ago and after it I was confined to lying on my back without moving for 24 hrs in hospickle. Time moved on and another angiogram a few years later found me lying on my back with a professional wound gripper...a nice young guy whose job was to squeeze the wound for what seemed and age until it healed.

Two years ago they did another one, this time through the wrist. A clear plastic bandage was put over the wound and then inflated, either by air or water, I can't remember. The pressure sealed the wound very effectively.

I hope all goes well with your recovery, H. I'm sure it will.

Technology moves on....thank Gawd !
 Statins - henry k
Thanks Ted
My first invasion - I got a cologen plug in the hole which will disappear over three months.
The second invasion I got a nurse as a gripper but it leaked very slightly overnight.
It was again sorted but was slightly leaking when I got home. This time Dr daughter came round to sort it out after SWMBO and I had tried.
Daughter cleverly improvised using an electric tooth brush ....
The butt of it concentrated the pressure point and it was a lot easier to hold rather than direct finger/thumb pressure.
So Cologen is possible new but the old methods are still used.
All seem good today
Last edited by: henry k on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 17:37
 Statins - Haywain
Yes, all the best for a swift recovery, Henry!
 Statins - rtj70
Get well soon and take it easy. Don't rush back to driving. You haven't got to be driving again within two weeks.
 Statins - Armel Coussine
I gripe about my health, age etc., but have little to complain about compared to others.

Don't start jumping about too soon hk. Use that brain of yours. Best wishes of course.
 Statins - henry k
>> I gripe about my health, age etc., but have little to complain about compared to others.
>>
Yes a wide range of folks in my ward with problems of all sorts even though it was a cardiac ward.
17 year old with Aspergers etc and had two heart attacks.
Guy next to me, 4 visits for various reasons. Had a new hip but bone broke. A jubilee clip fixed it but now one leg shorter than the other.
30/40 year old expecting quick treatment was told- you are on an antibiotic drip fora minimum 2 weeks.
My daughter said it may well be twice as long and only then can treatment start.
>>
>> Don't start jumping about too soon hk. Use that brain of yours. Best wishes of course.
>>

My thanks to all for their thoughts.
I can exist without the car. It will be nice to go for a short walk again.
 Statins - Lygonos
>>30/40 year old expecting quick treatment was told- you are on an antibiotic drip fora minimum 2 weeks. My daughter said it may well be twice as long and only then can treatment start.

I would guess he has osteomyelitis (infection in the bone itself)...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteomyelitis#Treatment

Prior to the widespread availability and use of antibiotics, blow fly larvae were sometimes deliberately introduced to the wounds to feed on the infected material, effectively scouring them clean

Talking of which here's my favourite human-beastie combo: the larva of the bot fly

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Iw0-7EMUo

(many more vids out there for the bulimic amongst you)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 23:03
 Statins - henry k
>>I started statins again a few weeks ago and have not registered any side effects.
>>I will now take them for the rest of my days.

An update.
I have stopped taking Statins and am tomorrow I visiting my GP to discuss and maybe try another type.
They certainly did work as intended 5.5 to 3.5 almost immediately

As the last time ( over 10 years ago) my knees got more and more painful, so much so it was getting towards installing a stair lift.
As last time, 24 hours after binning the statins my knees have reverted to what they were like last year.

I commented to a friend and he stopped statins and his knees are OK now.

A doctor writing in the hard copy Wail ( but not in the soft copy) - “ the various side-effects, such as muscle and joint pain ( although the evidence for these is debatable)”

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3106471/ASK-DOCTOR-does-foot-feel-like-s-burning.html
( Part two of the item.)

Well as far as I am concerned it is not debatable but fact.
 Statins - Duncan
Fairly obviously, it all depends upon the individual.

I started taking statins 25 years ago following heart attack and triple bypass. I have not experienced any significant pain in my limbs.

Were I to suffer pain in my legs then of course I would have to weigh up the relative risks versus discomforts. I think I would come down on the side of staying alive!

I have heard some of my cycling friends discussing the drugs that they have decided to discard or reduce dosage. I think they are mad!
 Statins - Roger.
Statins can halve cancer deaths - claims.

tinyurl.com/ovhpdsk
 Statins - Ambo
Good for lots of things according to today's Telegraph.

Suffering well known side effects muscle weakening and agonising cramps I too, stopped in consultation with my doctor, some time ago. As a precaution, he has arranged a blood test for me today.
 Statins - Dog
"The group of studies did not show statins would prevent cancer".
Latest Forum Posts