Non-motoring > Form of words ' Character Reference' Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 20

Form of words ' Character Reference' - borasport
I have been asked to give somebody a 'character reference' - it's for a job application and they ask for one if there has been any gap in employment in the past three years.

I've written references before, but never a character reference, and I don't really know what the form is - any suggestions ?
Last edited by: borasport on Mon 24 Mar 14 at 18:39
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - Armel Coussine
'I have known/worked with (X) since (year) and have always found him/her to be a person of probity/hard worker/etc. in that time'. Something along those lines?

It can be a mistake to write one for someone you don't really know well. I did it once for a friend's son, and he and his girl friend managed to embarrass me by playing the fool.
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - Manatee
I would say how long I have know him/her, and in what context.

They want you to comment on his honesty, integrity and conscientiousness.

If you have worked with him and think he deserves it, and you have positive things to say in relation to things like ability to work in a team, willingness to accept responsibility, work unsupervised, commitment and enthusiasm then consider saying so if appropriate to the job.

If I have confidence in the person I'll do my best to give a good picture without being dishonest.

Otherwise I'll stick to the bare truth, e.g. "I have known Fred for ten years socially and have never had any reason to doubt his honesty" which might mean Fred is well meaning but tiresome and untalented.

I'd never say anything bad. If that was really merited, I would just say I preferred not to give a reference.
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - Ambo
"His services have been satisfactory" is usually considered to be negative.

Form of words ' Character Reference' - Zero
You can't say anything about Freds character, you can only state facts.

Known him for x, lived at x for x.
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - Manatee
>> You can't say anything about Freds character, you can only state facts.
>>
>> Known him for x, lived at x for x.

That isn't a character reference, is it?

I'm talking about personal references here. Companies increasingly take the view you have just expressed, because they are frightened of being sued if an employee has expressed an opinion. They won't allow anybody to give a reference on behalf of the company except HR, who do exactly what you describe.
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - Zero
>> >> You can't say anything about Freds character, you can only state facts.
>> >>
>> >> Known him for x, lived at x for x.
>>
>> That isn't a character reference, is it?

Exactly, A company shouldn't ask for one from someone they have knowledge about,
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - Bromptonaut
>> Companies increasingly take the view you have just expressed,
>> because they are frightened of being sued if an employee has expressed an opinion. They
>> won't allow anybody to give a reference on behalf of the company except HR, who
>> do exactly what you describe.

Indeedy.

I worked for same government department either directly or via its agencies/quangos through two machinery of government/name changes from 1978 until 2013- just over 35 yrs.

A reference will do little more than confirm that info and maybe whether my attendance/sick record was 'satisfactory'.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 24 Mar 14 at 21:08
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - R.P.
I had to provide a reference last month for someone going into a director's role with an FE College...I was sent a post profile which covered twenty points and asked to write the reference on the basis of that. What a load of nonsense...
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - Runfer D'Hills
Not exactly for a "job" application but there might be some useful format and phrasing tips here...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N1sjdLQIj8
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - Harleyman
I have long been of the opinion that what a reference does not say is more use to a prospective employer than what it does. I base this on my experiences in a previous life as both transport manager and recruitment controller.

I'd agree with Manatee; stick to facts, say how you know the person, etc. Keep it as simple as possible; even if your finished article looks short on positive points it's unlikely to matter, most HR departments are simply looking to tick the box marked "fully referenced" and will pay little attention to the content. References from previous employers carry far more weight in this respect.

Form of words ' Character Reference' - Armel Coussine
I imagine potential employers do read character references with a shrewd observant eye, but without expecting too much. Really they want to know that the person is probably who they say they are, and has been in one place for long enough and behaved well enough to find someone willing to admit to knowing them. That's more or less what 'character' boils down to.

Abilities with work are another issue, a different sort of reference really although there's an overlap.

'Mr X showed a somewhat quirky familiarity with the risks and joys of the Bessemer Converter on the rare occasions when he turned up for work on time and without a doctor's note for the following day. His prosthetic right arm and right eye and the battery-powered trolley that provides mobility have enabled him to overcome to a considerable extent the after-effects of an industrial accident in his early days in the steel industry.'
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - Crankcase
A colleague of mine goes through the paper reference thing happily enough, sending all the results in to HR as appropriate. However, he also rings up the referee and chats to them, on the basis he can tell when someone is lying to him and he can follow points up on the fly.

He tells (not asks) the applicant he's going to do that and nobody has ever had a problem with it yet.

Seems to work well enough.

Form of words ' Character Reference' - Cliff Pope
"Mr X walked out of the job without giving notice, the day after receiving his early salary payment and Christmas bonus. In the circumstances I am unable to provide a reference."
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - helicopter
'If you can get this person to work for you, you will be very lucky.....'
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - No FM2R
"His men would follow him anywhere, but generally only out of curiosity"
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - Bromptonaut
>> A colleague of mine goes through the paper reference thing happily enough, sending all the
>> results in to HR as appropriate. However, he also rings up the referee and chats
>> to them, on the basis he can tell when someone is lying to him and
>> he can follow points up on the fly.

A former colleague of mine who'd been a Local Authority C/Ex in a previous life describes using similar process when recruiting to senior roles.
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - madf
I always used to contact prior employees- we stated we would do it on the application form used for basic details like name, address etc.

Weeds out the professional malingerers and trouble makers.. About 5% of all applicants were disqualified as a result

Form of words ' Character Reference' - Cliff Pope
>> I always used to contact prior employees- we stated we would do it on the
>> application form used for basic details like name, address etc.
>>

"employers" ?
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - madf
>> >> I always used to contact prior employees- we stated we would do it on
>> the
>> >> application form used for basic details like name, address etc.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> "employers" ?
>>

Oops yes.
Thanks
Senility...
 Form of words ' Character Reference' - borasport
Thanks for the input, I'll knock something together this evening. - the reference is actually for 'er indoors, who has been working for a large company via an agency for three months, but is about to join the staff - sounds like a pointless formality to me, she said to her manager 'can I get my partner to do it' and her response was 'as long as he's got a different surname'

Filled in a reference for an ex-employee for a position with the local police a few years ago - the form had the usual bland questions and at the bottom - 'Would you employ this person again ?' to which I was pleased to respond with total and simple honesty :-) I do'nt think they ask questions like that any more !
Latest Forum Posts