Non-motoring > Pollution - Cause and Effect Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 16

Pollution - Cause and Effect - Meldrew
Having read that London Area ambulance calls for people with breathing difficulties are up 14% I have to wonder if they would have been if we hadn't been told there was going to be pollution and likely breathing difficulties? In the East Midlands it is very hazy but we haven't had Sahara dust on our cars and there is no smell as such. That said, we are not London, obviously! How is it where you are?
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - RattleandSmoke
My car was full of dust, yesterday I did have a mini asthma attack which was my first for about 18 months. I feel a lot better today although still finding it a little bit hard to get my breath. I am in south Manchester.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 3 Apr 14 at 17:02
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - Bromptonaut
Plenty of dust on cars in Northampton. Sky hazy and visibility limited to a mile or so. Wouldn't fancy London air at all.

Forecast to clear tomorrow as normal service of westerly airflow resumes.
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - Focusless
Haven't noticed anything unusual in Reading.
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - Focusless
>> Haven't noticed anything unusual in Reading.

...yesterday. However, walking to the station in the half-light this morning, looking at streetlights there did appear to be a sort of haziness, and it wasn't hazy sort of weather.
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - BiggerBadderDave
There was always a lot of dust on my CD cases. I used to buy it in Gloucester Road or Hammersmith.
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - Slidingpillar
The dust on my garage roof is a giggle, you can see it's sand by the colour.
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - rtj70
Today the pollution in London looks bad - nothing like that yesterday when I was there. It must be worse than you'd expect in Manchester today too. A bit hazy all day but it's affected my wife's breathing a bit. She doesn't have lung problems of any kind and is fit and healthy.
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - Roger.
Nothing at all unusual in North Notts/Sth. Yorks border - just a bit of mist, now turned to a light rain. No red dust!
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - Crankcase
Lots of coughing, sneezing and sore eyes from us and colleagues in Cambridge. Bit like hay fever really. Been like it a couple of days now.

Seen red sand on cars in car park, not on mine though as its under cover most of the time.

Misty like anything in town.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 4 Apr 14 at 06:18
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - madf
I have a box of surgical face masks for such emergencies - and also for use when sanding. And for an outbreak of bird flu - which never happened.

Why the fuss?
Last edited by: madf on Fri 4 Apr 14 at 12:03
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - NortonES2
Surgical face masks are designed to prevent nasal droppings falling into abdominal cavities etc. Placebo worn by medics:) Not much use against fine dust and NO2, for which a respirator is needed.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Fri 4 Apr 14 at 12:52
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - No FM2R
Didn't I read somewhere that as far as catching viruses were concerned these things were counter-productive since the hot, wet and enclosed climate they encourage next to your mouth and face is exactly what you don't want.
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - NortonES2
Something here: www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousDisease/InfectionControl/16278

Pollution - Cause and Effect - Dulwich Estate
Swilling the mouth (and then swallowing) with a glass of fine red wine once an hour seems to do the trick for me.
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - madf
Apart from using a surgical mask, I find gin makes a good anesthetic..and it is also capable of killing germs when applied externally, and then washed off with tonic and recycled..
 Pollution - Cause and Effect - Slidingpillar
Gin is quite good for mouth problems too!
Latest Forum Posts