Non-motoring > Any National tips? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 32

Any National tips? - smokie
As a gambler in a past life, my most sensible tip is to keep your money in your pocket, but I do usually have a flutter on this and this year will be donating the bookies some money when I back MONBEG DUDE to win, and if I'm feeling flush I might have a side bet each way on Double Seven and Big Shu.

Anyone else prepared to divulge their fancy?
 Any National tips? - swiss tony
I've never quite got my head round the national.

People who would never consider having a bet on horse racing, have a flutter on the most dangerous and unpredictable race in the world..
 Any National tips? - Clk Sec
I might have a bet on which horse is likely to come last. I used to be quite good at that.
 Any National tips? - Runfer D'Hills
I have bet by lobbing some cash into a kitty and indeed won on the National in the past but not for some years. I'd have to get someone to do it for me though. Wouldn't have a clue how to go about it. I imagine there would be sneering from the regulars in a betting shop if I were to try to.

'I say, I'd very much like to bet a fiver on Nobby's Nag in the Grand National please. Could you arrange that my good fellow?'
As with most shopping-like stuff these days, it's so much easier online...
 Any National tips? - Runfer D'Hills
Well, since my last post I've had a request from my father in law who has just come out of hospital to go and buy multiple variants of lottery tickets and place a bet on the National for him.

I have not got a scooby how to go about any of it.

Can't be that hard I guess?

'I say, young man! Look here.....'
 Any National tips? - Duncan
Speak to the nice man behind the counter, tell him what you want to do and he will do it. They have no desire to humiliate you.
 Any National tips? - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> I have not got a scooby how to go about any of it.
>>
>> Can't be that hard I guess?
>>
>>
The big High Street shops have pre-printed betting slips for the National with all the runners, all you do is tick your horse, enter the stake and whether you want a win or each way. There's a box to tick if you want the odds quoted when you place the bet or leave it blank to take a chance on the starting price.

Easy peasy Runfer, go do it.
I've got a fiver on Double Seven, anything good enough for AP McCoy to ride get's my money. Mrs O'R has got a quid each way on Teaforthree as it is a local horse and her mate's daughter helped train it, plus she's put the same again on a 40/1 outsider, Walk On.

I normally don't bother with single bets preferring a Yankee or a Lucky 15, but I make an exception for the National.
 Any National tips? - Focusless
Still had £2.24 left in my PadyyPower account ( www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10844&m=243225&v=e ) - now down to 4p after putting 55p each way on Rocky Creek and Last Time Dalbain. They only have to come somewhere in the top 5 to pay out thanks to the current PaddyPower special offer...
 Any National tips? - Haywain
No tips, I'm afraid. I put a bob e/w on Red Alligator at 100/7 in 1968, found the winner, and quit while I was winning. Not much of a gambler, me!
 Any National tips? - Meldrew
I understand that Moonbeg Dude has a jockey change, due to injury of the chosen jockey yesterday?
 Any National tips? - bathtub tom
Hunt Ball and Kruzhlinin.

I used to be quite lucky at picking National winners, but in recent years I've had more success at getting the early fallers!
 Any National tips? - Ambo
The first horse I ever backed was Lucky Jordan, in the Lincolnshire Handicap in the 1940s. It came in at 33:1. A schoolfellow was a bookie's runner and I gave him 2/6d. to place for me.
I lost nearly every bet I made after that.
 Any National tips? - TheManWithNoName
No tips from me other than ignore the favourites. There are so many variables in the National even a three legged pit pony could win it!
 Any National tips? - CGNorwich
"even a three legged pit pony could win it!"

Well they could but realistically they won't. Only two winners with odds of 100.1 in the last sixty years and you could well make the argument that since the fences have been made less dangerous in recent years the race is less unpredictable and tends to rule out no hopers winning as a result of mass falls.

Most winners are at odds of 20.1 or less and whilst the favourite doesn't win as often as in races with larger fields that is reflected in the odds. You don't get many races where the favourite is 10.1!

This year I would and have gone for the favourite Teaforthree.

Any National tips? - CGNorwich
Never bet on the favourite in the National
>> putting 55p each way on Rocky Creek and Last Time Dalbain. They only
>> have to come somewhere in the top 5 to pay out

Agh! Rocky Creek 6th I think after leading coming up to the last few fences; just ran out of steam. Quite exciting when there's money on it. Didn't see other one at all, non-runner?

EDIT: BBC says Rocky Creek 5th !
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 5 Apr 14 at 16:36
Yes - my PaddyPower account started the day on £2.24, but now it's shot up to... £2.79! That's it, I'm giving up the day job.
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 5 Apr 14 at 16:53
 Any National tips? - Ted

Daughter in law won 54 notes today on the GN.

Don't bother meself, last time I backed a horse was at twenty to one.....................it was still running at half past six !

I'll get me coat !
So my predictions came to nowt.

But what are the odds on this? We were at a wedding yesterday and the guests were each given an envelope containing a £1 bet at Ladbroke on a single horse. In the pool there were two bets on each horse, presumably making 80 envelopes. And me and the Mrs managed to get the same horse. It sounds like 78 to 1, or even 79 to 1.
 Any National tips? - PhilW
Mrs W and I were out for a spot of lunch yesterday.
"It's the GN today" says she "are you putting your usual fiver on an outsider?"
"Can't be bothered" I replied "Don't even enjoy watching it these days"
"I'm going to back Pineau de Re" she says.
"Why?"
"Because Pineau is alcoholic isn't it? - that suits you, and we've been to the Ile de Re a few times"

Unfortunately, local bookies has closed and because I wasn't bothered, we did not go into town to another.

Couple of hours later Mrs W watched race (I was watching Tigers v Clermont).
"Guess what won" says she. Distractedly and disappointed, I replied "Clermont".
"No! The GN" says she.

Awkward silence for a while!
My son told me last night that he'd picked up £93; he put £2 e/w on 3 horses - which included 1st and 4th place. He doesn't know the front end of a horse from the back end; I didn't even know that he knew how to place a bet. If money can be made that easily, I might have a go myself next year ;-)
The Boat Race is stating soon, Haywain. Why don't you stick an Each Way on that?

Actually, I've come up with an absolutely infallible of making money from betting on football next season - but I'm not telling anyone else.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sun 6 Apr 14 at 17:26
 Boat Race - Armel Coussine
I thought Oxford would shade it but they didn't have to. The Cambridge no 2 had a personal disaster which put Cambridge out of the running.

The commentators were incredibly obtuse about what had happened. There was a clash of oars between Cambridge 2 and Oxford 7, but it was very minor and anyway the Cambridge cox's fault. What actually happened was that the no 2 oar slipped out of its rigger, and in the effort to retain it no 2 pretty well fell out of the boat. However being a super-strong lad he put the oar back in and closed the rigger, but by then the race was a goner.

Unless times have changed the disaster was entirely no 2's fault. The oarsman puts the oar in the rigger, shuts the gate and tightens a little knurled knob. Without the gate to restrain it the oar can easily slip out of the rigger when being pulled by some sort of athlete behemoth. It's all greased to enable it to be feathered easily... he didn't tighten the knob properly.
Oh, and by the way, only three Britons in each boat, the rest being American, Canadian, German and Aussie brawny (and brainy) lads... mercenaries some would claim.
 Boat Race - Focusless
>> ... he didn't tighten the knob properly.

You might be right AC, although the man himself claims "... It happened and flipped my blade over, broke my rigger..."
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rowing/26869789
Last edited by: Focusless on Sun 6 Apr 14 at 21:32
>> "... It happened and flipped my blade over, broke my rigger..."

I couldn't see for sure, and riggers may have changed a bit since my young day - they look a bit different in long shot. There's a flat on the back of the oar that makes it pull square, or did in my young day when oars were symmetrical, if they were dipped just right. But these modern oars have a big asymmetric scoop which would put a twisting moment on the oar.

I bet no 2 has some pretty unusual pulled muscles today, muscles he never knew he had. He did well to hang onto that oar.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 6 Apr 14 at 21:44
 Boat Race - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> I bet no 2 has some pretty unusual pulled muscles today, muscles he never knew
>> he had. He did well to hang onto that oar.
>>

If BBD reads that this thread is going to turn smutty.
"The Boat Race is stating soon, Haywain. Why don't you stick an Each Way on that?"

I tried to, but the bookie told me that I should go and see a taxidermist.

Actually, with the missus away in Australia for a few weeks, I was at a bit of a loose end so I settled down to watch the boat race coverage. It's many years since I last saw it so I was disappointed to discover that this classic race has now been subjected to the same inane build up as every other sporting event. Oh dear!
 Any National tips? - Stuartli
Picked out six an hour before the race, quick trip to bookies, watched race and had three of them in the frame, including the winner...:-) Nice profit of £206.25.....

For those surprised by the winner, it won the Ulster National and has done well in other races, so not lacking in appropriate form.
 Any National tips? - Mapmaker
>>It's many years since I last saw it so I was disappointed to discover that this classic race has
>>now been subjected to the same inane build up as every other sporting event.

Hence why it was at the strange time of 6pm; there being no other sporting event to clash with.
>> Hence why it was at the strange time of 6pm; there being no other sporting
>> event to clash with.

Tides?
Latest Forum Posts