Non-motoring > How was your Easter? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 63

How was your Easter? - legacylad
Mine was fine, apart from being on rota to work Friday & today.
Easter starts tomorrow. Gym am, train to Carnforth, nice walk by Lancaster canal, few beers in The Snug at Carnforth station, train home to sit in local beer garden if clement, curry with chums at 5.30 then pub quiz. Home by 12.

Car delivered to a friends for pre MOT service Monday am, bacon sandwiches (or maybe blueberry pancakes) for lunch, mow lawns, afternoon tea at a nice establishment, walk dog, open nice bottle of Jackson Estate Sav Blanc, sit and chat, open another bottle, cook rib eye steaks with roasted veg, share another bottle, read/fall asleep.

It's nice being able to do just what you want sometimes. Selfish, but nice.
 How was your Easter? - R.P.
Been chilling for the last couple of days. Went singing on Thursday with some friends to form a new choir. Took some bottle but enjoyed it. Doggy walking in the morning down the forestry, garden centre and bargain hunting in the afternoon, Wife working lates...so home alone last night, caught up with some telly...!! Up with the lark this morning and down the forestry - saw a red squirrel....chased up a tree by the dogs...whoops ! Down to town to get some Euros for my forthcoming trip - rest of the day bimbling in the garden cutting the lawns and fiddling with the car....Have some beer in the fridge for tonight. Off to family for lunch tomorrow...try and flog them the V50 !
 How was your Easter? - Runfer D'Hills
So far so good. 'Did' Llandegla today on the mountain bikes. Google it if interested.

Untangled resultantly knotted muscles in the pool this evening. Steak and fried onion sandwiches fir tea.

Might wander into town in a bit and catch some of the jazz festival.

May have to respond to repeated requests to 'do something about the sodding garden' tomorrow but hopefully back up a hill somewhere on the bikes on Monday.
Did the doggy get involved ?
Actually yes, forgot about him, he got a few miles in along the canal after we got back safely through border control.

No wonder I'm a bit knackered come to think.

Came back from Llandegla through the lanes to avoid 'the others' Some really nice villages off the beaten track
Oh I know that area quite well...not been there for a couple of years. The "Others" are here...getting into the forestry was difficult at one point yesterday...queuing up to pay. We get in on a key fob, being local - All the usual places busy around here.
 How was your Easter? - BobbyG
>>Untangled resultantly knotted muscles in the pool this evening

Keep meaning to ask, is this pool in your house??
 How was your Easter? - swiss tony
>> >>Untangled resultantly knotted muscles in the pool this evening
>>
>> Keep meaning to ask, is this pool in your house??
>>

Most of us call it a bath!
 How was your Easter? - Skip
>> >>Untangled resultantly knotted muscles in the pool this evening
>>
>>

I don't think Primark would pay the sort of salary that would make you able to afford a swimming pool in your house.

Would that that were so Bobby!

No, it's just that 'pool' requires fewer key strokes than 'leisure club'

;-)
 How was your Easter? - CGNorwich
How was your Easter? Don't know, it doesn't take place until tomorrow.
 How was your Easter? - Crankcase
Good start. Went to Gainsborough's house in Sudbury. Great house, paintings really well exhibited.

Learned lots. Then sat in his garden, by the mulberry tree, and thought about how he spent five days getting from Ipswich to Bath. Then texted my sister in Boston USA, getting an answer within one minute. I wonder if he would have been impressed or mystified.

How was your Easter? - Zero
>> Good start. Went to Gainsborough's house in Sudbury. Great house, paintings really well exhibited.
>>
>> Learned lots. Then sat in his garden, by the mulberry tree, and thought about
>> how he spent five days getting from Ipswich to Bath. Then texted my sister in
>> Boston USA, getting an answer within one minute. I wonder if he would have been
>> impressed or mystified.

It was two, sometimes three days to get from London to Portsmouth, if you made it past the various highwaymen.
 How was your Easter? - Bromptonaut
Mrs B and I set out yesterday looking for a new mattress and ended up buying a whole bed and hatching a plan to re-decorate bedroom before it's delivered. This afternoon spent looking at emulsion paint colours and faffing about with matchpots. Decision made I think but it's much bolder on the wall than the match card suggested.

Break around 16:00 to wash her car and polish out mark where some oaf had scuffed n/s rear door and alloy. Looked OK in end. Meanwhile she planted the potatoes and then cooked Tartiflette for dinner.

Tomorrow we'll start clearing the bedroom, three book cases to empty and make sure we're geared up to start work properly after the holiday. Easter day late lunch of lamb planned - shoulder joint.

Monday mostly taken up with trip to/from Liverpool to return The Lad, who needs access to Library for major assignment on Descartes, to his Uni. Probably repeat day in car on Tuesday with Sheffield as destination as his sis goes back - end of her final year.
Is it easter? every day is a bank holiday to me.
 How was your Easter? - Westpig
Friday was a gardening day...I detest gardening*, but like it looking nice, so it's a necessary evil.

Both of us at it and we've broken the back of weeding the borders and I managed to complete the strimming. Lawns look nice as I did them on Wed, although they're growing well quick.

Worked today driving the van and it was a bit busy.

Now off for two days, garden's done...and........ it's going to 'p' down for 2 days.... Great.

* obviously doesn't include using the ride on mower, that's quite therapeutic.

Last edited by: Westpig on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 22:38
I've finally mastered a good cut with the lawn tractor..."cut high, cut often" - ours is greener than next door for a lot less effort !
>> I've finally mastered a good cut with the lawn tractor..."cut high, cut often" - ours
>> is greener than next door for a lot less effort !

Exactly my experience too, albeit with a Bosch electric rotary not a tractor. Dr Hessayon's 'Be Your Own Lawn Expert' agrees too - 1.5 inches or so for a 'utility' lawn, higher at start and end of season. Lawn was laid by developer who wasn't aiming for bowling green and it's got more uneven since so closer cuts scalp the high points.

Combined feed/weed/moss killer applied annually once growth is established.

Next door has same mower but permanently set to 'scalp'. His lawn never looks really green and is infested with dandelions and other weeds.
>> Is it easter? every day is a bank holiday to me.

Oh look - someone gave me a scowly for that comment - what a pathetic prat
 How was your Easter? - Ted
Got up after 9 and read the paper with a litre of Farrar's of Kendal coffee on standby. The evening paper was already delivered but I resisted that 'til later. Moved the caravan across the drive to fit a new water pump socket on the offside. Had to push it as the remote control for the motormover has disappeared. I can only think that it's been knocked off the workbench, where I last saw it, into the bin which was next to it. That's £80 for a new one when Powrwheel open on Tuesday......!

Did some much needed tidying in the garage then locked up and came in about 4pm. Had a look on line and a short nap. Dinner at 7, fish pie with salad and a can off cold Wifebeater.

Watched an interesting documentary on University Challenge then saw a special edition in which some Southern lot were comprehensively thrumped by Manchester Uni !

Cleared up , made a mug of tea and repaired to the computer suite...where I am now.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 20 Apr 14 at 02:21
>>Had to push it as the remote control for the motormover has disappeared

When my dad was selling his caravan, I had arranged to go up to his to wash it all ready for the photos. My dad had one of these mover things and had a set procedure for bringing the van into his back yard and manoeuvring it about until it was butted up to the wall.

So this day he moves it about until it is in the middle of the yard but decides he wants to turn it around for the photos so that the door side was in shot.

In the process he discovered that when you stand in front of the van at the towbar side the arrows make the caravan go in the opposite direction from if you were standing at the rear! Managed to press the caravan tight up against a tree until the whole fibreglass cracked!!

Grrr!!!
 How was your Easter? - Armel Coussine
>> someone gave me a scowly for that comment - what a pathetic prat

Envy is a corrosive emotion. A simple rejoicing in some undeserved good fortune is seen as vainglorious crowing.

Fergeddaboudit...
 How was your Easter? - Duncan
>> Envy is a corrosive emotion. A simple rejoicing in some undeserved good fortune is seen
>> as vainglorious crowing.
>>
>> Fergeddaboudit...
>>

AC is right.

He often is.

Not always

but often.
Well, I had reluctantly agreed to an excursion to B&Q today to purchase ingredients from their garden centre and subsequently plant them.

To my delight it seems they are closed today.

Oh well, never mind !

:-)))))
>> Well, I had reluctantly agreed to an excursion to B&Q today to purchase ingredients from
>> their garden centre and subsequently plant them.
>>
>> To my delight it seems they are closed today.
>>
>> Oh well, never mind !
>>
>> :-)))))
>>

Never mind they will be open tomorrow so you are only delaying the inevitable for 24 hours !

About 8 o'clock we started talking about getting a new bigger shed, the conversation moved on to having our too small pre-cast garage pulled down and a double brick one built. This has now escalated to moving house - and the OH is now getting ready so that we can have a drive round to have a look at properties found on Rightmove - HTF did that happen !
 How was your Easter? - Roger.
Nest building and mating season, that's why!
 How was your Easter? - Baz
400 mile round trip from S Wales to Anglesey on the FZ6. Up the A470 then over Snowdonia, return the same way. Heaving with day-trippers in N Wales, return trip fabulous, empty roads, beautiful clear evening, fast bike and in the "zone". Comfortable touring in the range 60 to 85 mph indicated, lots of other bikes, all friendly and waving. Passed by a couple of very rapid sports bikes at a pace well out of my league and a clown in an E series on a blind bend! Aching today though but not as bad as I thought. One "moment" where I nearly got hit by a lazy pheasant taking flight from the hedge, so close I could see the detail of his colours and feathers! Lots of classic cars out, Caterhams and a lovely Triumph Stag.
>> >> Is it easter? every day is a bank holiday to me.
>>
>> Oh look - someone gave me a scowly for that comment - what a pathetic
>> prat
Agreed.
Wisnae me mister.
I'm on catering duty today: 5, or maybe 6, hour lamb in the oven by 0800.
Back home to North Nottinghamshire tomorrow, to gaze with despair at a fortnight's untended growth of our lawn.
Much grocery shopping needed too :-(
 How was your Easter? - Fursty Ferret
Mine started with a stand-up row with the neighbour and ended up with me calling the police.
Ooh go on do tell !!
Ok it's got to be done sorry...

Did you fly off the handle?
 How was your Easter? - Westpig
>> Did you fly off the handle?
>>

Would loved to have been a fly on the wall.
Makes you wonder what all the flap was about. Perhaps someone got hold of the wrong end of the stick? Let's hope it hasn't had a terminal effect on the relationship.
>> Mine started with a stand-up row with the neighbour and ended up with me calling
>> the police.
>>

Another house move on the cards ?
>> >> Mine started with a stand-up row with the neighbour and ended up with me
>> calling
>> >> the police.
>> >>
>>
>> Another house move on the cards ?
>>

Him, I hope!

I can't really move now that you have to declare issues with neighbours when you sell a house.
 How was your Easter? - Ambo
Is there a time limit on declaring spats with neighbours? Some 20 years ago I complained to 'er next door about her dog, barking all day . She made some effort to stop it. A year or two later, I spotted my cat sneaking across the road with a goldfish in his mouth. I don't think she saw him but she stood by her pond with a worried look.
>> I can't really move now that you have to declare issues with neighbours when you
>> sell a house.

I don't think a one off over say Easter visitors parking would count. OTOH a boundary dispute or an ongoing war over leylandii, pets, noise etc would.

Calling police though does rather formalise the issue.
 How was your Easter? - Cliff Pope
>> >> Is it easter? every day is a bank holiday to me.
>>
>> Oh look - someone gave me a scowly for that comment - what a pathetic
>> prat
>>

Not me, but perhaps you deserve one?

Easter Day is always a sunday, so cannot be a bank holiday. :)
 How was your Easter? - ....
Spent Good Friday morning in A&E getting x-rayed now sporting the mother of all stookies.

Ripped something in my left knee, up on blocks this weekend. Going back to medics on Tuesday for an MRI and hopefully a conclusion to ongoing knee problem.

Anything to get out of being the Easter Bunny.

I think the worst bit is having to self inject some anti-coagulant to stop thrombosis. Never had to play darts on my stomach before.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 20 Apr 14 at 17:47

>> I think the worst bit is having to self inject some anti-coagulant to stop thrombosis.
>> Never had to play darts on my stomach before.
>>

I had to do that daily for a few weeks when I had a DVT a year ago now. Was nerve racking the first time but it didn't hurt, got a burning sensation that lasted a few seconds shortly after but that was all.
It doesn't really bother me just something I've never done before.

Hospital did it on Friday, my wife did it yesterday, I did it today. No way am I letting my MiL have a go, I think she just wants to know what it feels like to stab me :-)

As you say bit of a sting afterwards for a few seconds otherwise no big deal. Diabetics self inject everyday, just something new to me. Thankfully the needles are good and sharp.
Had to do the self inject thing too after breaking my hip and in a fall from a bike and requiring pinning surgery.

I suspect it was a routine thing associated with being laid up/hobbled. I was youngest on the hip injury specific ward by at least a generation and was pretty fit until I hit the ground. I was also active on crutches as soon as I was out whereas oldies were probably grounded for weeks so my risk pretty small.
Crutches are another thing I'm getting to grips with.
You see people on them and it looks easy. I've gone through the Bambi on ice and have got control of them but it took an hour or two to get comfortable with them.
>> Had to do the self inject thing too after breaking my hip and in a
>> fall from a bike and requiring pinning surgery.
>>
>> I suspect it was a routine thing associated with being laid up/hobbled. I was youngest
>> on the hip injury specific ward by at least a generation and was pretty fit
>> until I hit the ground. I was also active on crutches as soon as I
>> was out whereas oldies were probably grounded for weeks so my risk pretty small.
>>

How do you do it if you haven't got any fat on your stomach?
>> How do you do it if you haven't got any fat on your stomach?

I wondered how I'd have done it at 21.
 How was your Easter? - Armel Coussine
Very occasionally I take injections for cluster headaches. The buttock is the place.
 How was your Easter? - smokie
"cluster headaches". I get them, haven't had a bout for a few years though. Last time round they gave me self injectors, into the thigh.

>> How do you do it if you haven't got any fat on your stomach?
>>

I'm not qualified to answer that question these days :-(
 How was your Easter? - No FM2R
>> >> How do you do it if you haven't got any fat on your stomach?
>> I'm not qualified to answer that question these days :-(

Its annoying these days. I swear 30 minutes after I eat a Mars Bar it can be seen hanging over my waist band.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 01:41
 How was your Easter? - Kevin
>I swear 30 minutes after I eat a Mars Bar it can be seen hanging over my waist band.

It's either Chilean Mars bars or you're still buying pants you could only get into when you were a teenager.

I'm sure that Humph could recommend some nice elasticated waistband slacks for you.

;-)

>> I'm sure that Humph could recommend some nice elasticated waistband slacks for you.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

He would need to buy a Volvo if he started wearing them !
Hey....34" waist....no elastic !
>>you're still buying pants you could only get into when you were a teenager.

Right now I wear the same size jeans I wore when I was 21 - 32" waist, 34" leg.

Of course, in between it went wayward (actually about 100miles north of wayward), but I got it back under control with a better life style and more sensible eating.

I just don't know why my hair hasn't grown back! And I'd worry about 25 year old girls not fancying me these days, but they never did so no great change.
>Right now I wear the same size jeans I wore when I was 21 - 32" waist, 34" leg.

I think that might be your problem Mark.

;-)
I wear a very similar size. In so far as one measurement is also 34" and the other is 32". Sadly the former is the waist and the latter the leg !
>>I think that might be your problem Mark.

Funny you should say that, I have noticed that recently I haven't been able to breath, eat or move without pain. And by "recently" I mean about the last 10 years or so.
>Funny you should say that,..

Welcome to the club.
I have had a few days off and surprisingly for up here, the weather has been lovely!

So having a white car, I had noticed lots of tar specks on the sides so on Wednesday I washed the car, then used tar remover and lots of elbow grease over the whole car, then clayed it. On Thursday I washed again then applied polish and an extra gloss finish.

That should do it till it gets the same treatment ready for winter.

On Friday I went to one of the Go Ape courses and did the treetop thingy - brilliant fun, really enjoyed it!

Yesterday took the dog for a nine and a half mile walk which possibly wasn't the best idea when I am suffering with sore heels and needing to wear gel insoles. However dog loved it and was still running at the end!

Today I dismantled a big long pallet and used all the wood from it to build a garden bench. And I fixed a door handle that had been broken for 3 years!

So all in all, productive few days!
After my prolonged culinary efforts with the 5 hour lamb I retired for a very nice long siesta.
A modest snack for supper and a couple of catch-up TV shows on the laptop. (Rubbish connection in rural Suffolk - back to fibre broadband at home tomorrow).
Wife and daughter retied to their pits ages ago leaving me (eventually) to stumble upstairs and get ready for bed in the dark!
Soon.
 How was your Easter Traffic? - Bromptonaut
OK up to a point.

Northampton - Liverpool (Hope Uni Campus) and return today. Off at 10:00 smart and routing M1/M6/M56/Runcorn Bridge/A562/561 was a fine and easy journey in around 2h:40, not even a need to send a fiver on the toll road.

Bought The Lad lunch a Wetherspoons then a quick shop at Tesco. Return, planned to be reverse of outbound* route.

All fine until we hit M6 when signs announced long delays J21 to J19. In practice it was stop/start with only occasional relief of three lanes nose/tail at 50 to 60 from Lymm to Stoke and doubtless to and beyond Brum.

Bailed onto the A50 at J15 through to M1 which was free flowing as far as J19 after which stop/start again on climb to Watford Gap. Further bail to A5 at J18 after which a good run back to base.

A good hour longer than outbound.

How was yours.

* Seemed to be open day at John Lennon's former home in Menlove Ave- queues outside.

How was your Easter Traffic? - No FM2R
I must say I habitually drive with the Sat Nav on, even when I know exactly the route, just for the occasional heads up about traffic disasters and how to get around them.
 How was your Easter Traffic? - Roger.
.......and I reckon my Garmin speed indicator is more accurate than the car's speedo!
Latest Forum Posts