Non-motoring > K9 car snob Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 12

K9 car snob - Runfer D'Hills
My dog doesn't like Qashqais. Or so it would seem.

He's three now and ever since he was a pup he's hated going in the car. Pukes, drools and sometimes spontaneously craps whenever we try it.

Resultantly we have restricted him to our own Qashqai rather than my company E Class on the basis that messing up the former is our problem.

Tried everything. In a cage, not in a cage, starving him before journeys, calming tablets, all sorts.

Anyway, I was just now unloading the mountain bikes from the roof rack on the Merc following a trip out this morning and he spontaneously jumped into the boot of the estate car. The inside of the car was a bit grubby anyway after two separate Easter weekend biking excursions so I didn't stress about it. I was pottering with the bike kit and he started to jump in and out of the car.

Soooo, I just quietly got in and initially drove round the block. No problem, in fact he seemed to enjoy it.

Soooo, I went a bit further, down to the park about a mile away, let him out for a run for a few minutes and then we got back in the car and drove the long way home through some country lanes, maybe 3 miles. No problem then either !

Just got back.

Bit of a red letter day in fact.

Maybe he's a car snob.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 21 Apr 14 at 15:42
 K9 car snob - Fenlander
>>>sometimes spontaneously craps

That's a serious protest!

I wonder if the first run out (or first few) were any sort of bad experience in the Qashqai... like being taken to the kennels??

Part of our breed choice (if I dare say such a thing) has been to get known good car travelling dogs and so far the 3 of the past 35yrs+ have been excellent.

I do find most dogs enjoy a better quality car though... it's natural after all.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 21 Apr 14 at 16:04

>> I wonder if the first run out (or first few) were any sort of bad experience in the Qashqai ...

Not consciously, in fact we tried to link it to fun, like going to a forest or whatever.

I think he just has very expensive tastes.
 K9 car snob - ....
>> I think he just has very expensive tastes.
>>
Did the dog enjoy your steak and onion sandwich too or did you draw the line at car rides? Hehe
 K9 car snob - Armel Coussine
>> Maybe he's a car snob.

All the best people are in one way or another.

It's possible though that the pooch is hearing some very nasty bass harmonics in the Qashqai, or experiencing jittery pressure changes, that are inaudible to you and/or don't affect you at all. The sound and odour picture are much more complex and vivid to dogs or cats than they are to us I think.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 21 Apr 14 at 16:04
 K9 car snob - Slidingpillar
What a sensible dog. Cashcow is one seriously ugly motor in my book and to be avoided at all costs.
I'm not all that keen on it either SP, however, 'she' likes it. I've never felt inclined to crap in it though, it's not that bad!

;-)
 K9 car snob - Skip
Perhaps it was the sound of the door mirrors smashing in the Cashcow that put the fear in him of traveling in it.
:-)
Aye, maybe you are right AC.
 K9 car snob - Aretas
Ever sat in the back of a Qashqai? No view and a bit like being in a small box that shakes around somewhat. I felt nauseous after 2 miles.
 K9 car snob - legacylad
Strange how some dogs are averse to car travel, yet others take to it like a duck to water.
My old Westie, who passed away ten tears ago, travelled to work with me in the van six days a week. Originally, when a pup , I ran a VW 1.6 TD syncro...rear engined job. He would have his paws on the dash, and seeing any equine riders, or in fields, I would say either 'horse left' or 'horse right'. He would bark as they were passed, then dash between the front seats to jump on the rear engine and bark until they were out of eight. He was soooo upset when I bought a front engined Transporter. Any car with an open door and in he jumped.
Exactly the same with my current Lakeland. Although now he always has a car harness... Wouldn't want him jumping out of the ragtop now would I?
 K9 car snob - Pat
>>Maybe he's a car snob.
<<

He's not daft is he? He's got your number Humph.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts