Non-motoring > Chief whip swears at police - Vol 1   [Read only]
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 107

Chief whip swears at police - Vol 1 - Dutchie

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

Strange carrying on by chief whip Andrew Mitchell swears at police.What a poor example what happened on tuesday to two police officers then he talks to coppers like they are muck allegedley.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 28 Apr 14 at 01:08

Chief whip swears at police. - No FM2R
Oh for goodness sakes.

He swore at a copper, which he shouldn't have done. But tryign to make it into a moral outrage because it is somehow linked to the death of two other police officers is ridiculous.

And now the Sun, other politicians and a whole bunch of people will be up in arms about how he should be nailed to a wall.

Entirely pathetic the whole thing, from his outburst to the reaction being cynically delivered.
 Chief whip swears at police. - Bromptonaut
Agree with Mark.

Frustrated outburst, being told to get off and push probably final straw at end of difficult day.

He's apologised.

End of.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 15:21
 Chief whip swears at police. - Dutchie
Why end off? Remember Boris Johnson remarks about locking up anybody who swears at the police.Andrew is a arrogant oaff.!

>>Andrew is a arrogant oaff

I guess I'll have to take your word for it, because I don't know him personally.

How long have you known him?

Because he had a difficult day? Come off it Bromp Andrew is a arrogant oaf!

>> Because he had a difficult day? Come off it Bromp Andrew is a arrogant oaf!

Being an arrogant oaf is pre requisite for Chief Whip!!

Chief whip swears at police. - R.P.
A prefect at Eton. Nuff said.

>> A prefect at Eton. Nuff said.

Known as 'Thrasher' but at Rugby rather than Eton according to Wiki.

Chief whip swears at police. - John H
>> A prefect at Eton. Nuff said.
>>

Either politics of envy, or politics of Class.

Nuff said.

>> Either politics of envy, or politics of Class.
>>
>> Nuff said.
>>
>>

Class is a reasonable basis for politics (qv Marx)

Certainly not envy on my part, what is there to envy ? -

He's an elected member (albeit a rather small scruffy one) - Seems to have been well educated and a self made millionaire, he certainly manages his financial affairs in a very efficient way. Hope he can "run a government" as well as he manages his interests.

Full of own importance though.

I was a natural conservative until this lot took over. Most of them are no better than they should be. He seems to come from a middle class background so there's no class envy. According to Guido seems he may think he has friends in the Police. Somehow I doubt it.

Remember who owns the paper which published the allegation of a foul mouthed rant.

>> Certainly not envy on my part, what is there to envy ? -
>>

Eton, and all the success that follows after going there.

Last edited by: John H on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 17:18

Not really I rather enjoyed my comprehensive education and got to go home every night. Never made prefect though. (I actually don't think we had them)

prejudice does not become you.

www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/1625510.html

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8622933.stm

I know a yob when I see one, regardless of class or wealth.

I get it now.

Eton = yobs

As pointed out he went to Rugby. Fur coat and no knickers is what I'm getting at Mr H.

Chief whip swears at police. - Pat
Eton and most other public schools usually give an excellent education, but completely fail to teach the basics like politeness, self control and humility.

Pat

Chief whip swears at police. - Lygonos
Good schools encourage discipline, which includes politeness and self control. Humility is a lack of arrogance.

All of these come from the lifestyle you are immersed in and are only partially due to your schooling. You cannot really teach these aspects - only nurture them.

I went to a private secondary school and the overwhelming sentiment from the (militaristic) principal was that bullying was the ultimate crime - expulsions were almost universally for bullies (and were rare).

Chief whip swears at police. - Armel Coussine
>> completely fail to teach the basics like politeness, self control and humility.

Not really Pat. Politeness, and a certain sort of self control, have to be learned, or else. But they don't always have to be deployed.

Humility is another matter though, not at all the same thing as cringing subjection. It takes realism and intelligence to acquire that. It isn't a commonplace virtue.

Chief whip swears at police. - Pat
I'd love to reply a discuss this with you Lud, but once again I see this thread has descended into a bullying angry slanging match with those who shout loudest winning:(

So many threads do this.......sad really.

Pat

>> Being an arrogant oaf is pre requisite for Chief Whip!!

Yes it is. But the damn cheek of some young coppers is enough to bring out the arrogant oaf in anyone. It's brought him out in me once or twice.
 Chief whip swears at police. - madf
Numpty with zero political antennae then...

Reminds me of Gordon Brown...

Chief whip swears at police. - Roger.
Arrogant, self-important prick.

>> Arrogant, self-important prick.

That's quite possible, likely even.

But it could be argued that the Government Chief Whip actually is important in a way. And when you've left the bulletproof Jaguar behind and trundled to Downing Street on a pushbike like some bien-pensant nerd, you might feel a bit miffed if some 12-year-old copper started giving you gyp about the byelaws.

Haven't a clue what this man is like, apart from short-tempered. It wasn't very controlled of him to swear at an officer of the law, but a lot of people have done that, sometimes for good reason, and a lot of others have wanted to.

and a bike with a wicker basket on the front......

Chief whip swears at police. - Baz
But the damn cheek of some young coppers is enough to bring out the arrogant oaf in anyone. It's brought him out in me once or twice...
Indeed, I agree. Some of them need to learn some manners. I was brought up to respect them, but one or two incidents in recent years have changed that, where I was verbally dealt with in an unacceptable manner. "watch where you're e***** going " being the latest, as i crossed a London street. If Boris had his way, my reply would have me locked up, but it made me see "red" and I have no regrets.

He's either lying about the words he used, or the copper is over-egging the pudding.

I'd go with the former.

Whatever, it's modestly newsworthy but not a resignation matter!

Chief whip swears at police. - Woodster
He's an arrogant s***. I suspect the view he holds of the police is pretty much his view on anyne and everyone 'beneath' him.

>>He's an arrogant s***.

I didn't realise so many people on this forum had such a wide range of acquaintances. Obviously half the membership of this forum is on first name terms with him.

I don't know whether or not he's an arrogant s***. He might be

But you don't know either. Still, I'm sure you'd have the balls to say it to his face as well - go on, see if you can convince us both that you would.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 18:47

BBQ night again Mark ?

How dare you?

And no, its only 3pm.

But really, whether or not your opinion is reasonable or based on something, don't you find this witch-hunting and mob behaviour everytime anybody does anything that the Sun readers don't like is ridiculous?

I Hate John Smith
John Smith is an arrogant s***
Eton is s***
Scabby Comprehensive is instantaneously worthy of cedibility.

and so on.

Its all very annoying and quite pathetic.

Any there is a different between not liking what someone does, and *hating* them personally.

Why is nobody ever nice, fair or reasonable about stuff these days.

Like i am.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 18:52
 Chief whip swears at police. - Old Navy
>> How dare you?
>>

Do I hear the stamping of feet?

And the slamming of a dish cloth.

I'm sure Jesus loves you.
John Smith was a decent man by anyone's measure.

Bitter though.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 19:07

Chief whip swears at police. - PhilW
"Why is nobody ever nice, fair or reasonable about stuff these days."

Spot on

Chief whip swears at police. - Number_Cruncher
To take the opposite point of view, why couldn't the gate be opened? Was the lock broken?, the hinges siezed?

It looks like a case of the tail wagging the dog.

I can, therefore, understand how and why the chief whip got a bit angry. Perhaps he shouldn't have given voice to his thoughts, and for a politician, that's a serious lapse.

In a similar way, most university science and/or engineering departments seem to be run for the convenience of the technicians rather than for the students or researchers. The railways run for the convenience of the staff not the passengers, etc, etc....

>> To take the opposite point of view, why couldn't the gate be opened? Was the
>> lock broken?, the hinges siezed?

It is called security, if you open the vehicle gate for pedestrians or cyclists it makes it easier for the bad guys to get a car or truck bomb through it.

I am sure the pompous pratt would be the first to complain if security was breached.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 19:25
 Chief whip swears at police. - Westpig
The cops on the gate don't habitually let cycles through the mechanical vehicle bit, because the opening of the larger gate unnecessarily breaches a degree of security...and no doubt it is an unnecessary faff. They expect them to go through the pedestrian gate.

Mr Important obviously thought otherwise.

The cop on the gate will have heard far worse...and will have had a chuckle about it with his colleagues afterwards...and no doubt made sure he smiled at him next time to rig him up even more.

Complete storm in a tea cup. There's people dying in the world FFS.
>>Complete storm in a tea cup.

I wonder who telephoned the Sun? I'm guessing it wasn't the whip. I'd bet it wasn't the "abused" copper either.
 Chief whip swears at police. - Manatee
Trivial stuff and doesn't influence my opinion of the chief whip one way or the other.
>> Trivial stuff and doesn't influence my opinion of the chief whip one way or the
>> other.
>>

Strangely enuf, I had no opinions on the Chief Whip before today.

>> >> Trivial stuff and doesn't influence my opinion of the chief whip one way or
>> the
>> >> other.
>> >>
>>
>> Strangely enuf, I had no opinions on the Chief Whip before today.
>>

Good point, I should have said non-opinion.

>> Complete storm in a tea cup

Absolutely. Mr Mitchell does have form as 'Thrasher' when a prefect at Rugby, a place with a harsh reputation. So if his remarks are as reported and the copper hasn't over-egged it - people often do - he's not an innocent cycling sweetie-pie but a sadistic prefect type that I remember well from several schools, and always despised. Just the sort of thug you would need as chief whip, although one can't help noticing that the PM has been far from supportive. A delayed tail-end of the reshuffle perhaps? No one should see the prime minister as soppy.

But who knows really? A tabloid story of no consequence like the Duchess pix.

More like a storm in a B cup than a tea-cup maybe ?

Chief whip swears at police. - Cliff Pope
>> The cops on the gate don't habitually let cycles through the mechanical vehicle bit, because
>> the opening of the larger gate unnecessarily breaches a degree of security...and no doubt it
>> is an unnecessary faff. They expect them to go through the pedestrian gate.
>>
>>

Anybody else remember when Downing Street was just an ordinary road, and you could walk down it without meeting any policemen?
Apart from the nice man standing outside no. 10, who would let children pose next to him on the doorstep to be photographed.

>> Anybody else remember when Downing Street was just an ordinary road, and you could walk
>> down it without meeting any policemen?
>> Apart from the nice man standing outside no. 10, who would let children pose
>> next to him on the doorstep to be photographed.

I do. Either 68 or 69 my parents took us to the Scillies for a spring half term holiday. Sleeper train & motorail to Penzance so, after driving to Paddington from Leeds , we had a few hours to kill seeing the sights of London.

Mum was all for knocking on the door of No 10 and asking Mr Wilson if he was going too!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 21:21

Not excusing him but, as a vehicular cyclist there are few irritations to exceed the "cyclists dismount" sign or a verbal instruction instruction to same effect.

>> Not excusing him but, as a vehicular cyclist there are few irritations to exceed the
>> "cyclists dismount" sign or a verbal instruction instruction to same effect.

Why?

>> >> Not excusing him but, as a vehicular cyclist there are few irritations to exceed
>> the
>> >> "cyclists dismount" sign or a verbal instruction instruction to same effect.
>>
>> Why?

Because it's a PITA. Cars don't move without a driver but let's suppose all passengers have to get out and detour/walk through pedestrian gate; how do they feel?.

>> Because it's a PITA. Cars don't move without a driver but let's suppose all passengers
>> have to get out and detour/walk through pedestrian gate; how do they feel?.
>>

Hardly a sensible comparison.

Should important push chair users expect to go through the main gate, kids on scooters?...Why on earth can't a cyclist use the side gate?

>> Hardly a sensible comparison.
>>
>> Should important push chairusers expect to go through the main gate, kids on scooters?...Why
>> on earth can't a cyclist use the side gate?

And you say my comparison isn't sensible. My point was why on earh make a cyclist dismount when there's no need. A bike is a road going means of transport, a vehicle. It should be treated as such.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 22 Sep 12 at 16:25

Chief whip swears at police. - Zero

>> A bike is a road going means of transport,
>> a vehicle. It should be treated as such.

So that means bikers should be breathalysed?

>> So that means bikers should be breathalysed?
>>

Not biting.

Chief whip swears at police. - Roger.
>>
>> >> A bike is a road going means of transport,
>> >> a vehicle. It should be treated as such.
>>
>> So that means bikers should be breathalysed?
...........and pay VED!
>> >>
>> >> >> A bike is a road going means of transport,
>> >> >> a vehicle. It should be treated as such.
>> >>
>> >> So that means bikers should be breathalysed?
>> ...........and pay VED!

Happy to pay same VED as other zero emissions vehicles.

Chief whip swears at police. - sooty123
you'd have to register it first.

>> >>
>> >> >> A bike is a road going means of transport,
>> >> >> a vehicle. It should be treated as such.
>> >>
>> >> So that means bikers should be breathalysed?
>> ...........and pay VED!

I hope this non-problem is fairly well down the list of things on which to spend money that the country doesn't have...

Far too much enthusiasm for legislation and regulating everything in sight.

>> And you say my comparison isn't sensible. My point was why on earh make a
>> cyclist dismount when there's no need. A bike is a road going means of transport,
>> a vehicle. It should be treated as such.
>>

Somewhat confirms many people's thoughts on some cyclists then. Full of their own importance and feel the need to assert their right's all the time, regardless of common sense or the needs of others.
 Chief whip swears at police. - Runfer D'Hills
Oh behave ! He's an arris for sure but the coincidence that he had a bike at the time is just that. I'm really fed up with this anti-cyclist prejudice. Most of us are just trying to get on with riding our bikes with no agenda. Some police officers aren't totally ruddy perfect either but I'll not start on that. Sheesh !
>>Somewhat confirms many people's thoughts on some cyclists then.

I was listening to "Any Questions" in the car last night. Stuck on the M5. Menzies Campbell quoted an erstwhile colleage QC who began a defence with the words, "Let me attempt to rearrange your prejudices"...

Almost certainly a fool's errand I imagine but at least he was going to try.

:-)

Strange that one person's genuinely held belief becomes a prejudice if someone else doesn't agree.

Is there an 'ist' that I can be labelled with, obviously it can't be cyclist.

P.S. I have my own bike, a mountain bike...and...I wouldn't dream of riding two abreast on it..or..think I can ride at a constant velocity whatever the conditions...or..ignore common courtesy...or..think I have more rights than anyone else

I wouldn't imagine you could be any kind of "ist" WP. Would have thought anypossible temptation to that would almost certainly have been wrung out of you during your time dealing with the seamier side of the capital.

Just that I get a bit cross with all this cyclist baiting. Like any group it'll contain those who behave in ways they shouldn't but I continue to refuse to believe that is nothing more than a visible minority.

Hasn't helped that today I've been whizzing around the South Hams doing my van driving job (which I have to say I'm enjoying immensely)...and there was some sort of cycling road race on.

I've seen and been subject to some of the worse elements, shall we say...it's the same principle as some horse riders and some walkers...infuriatingly selfish.

I see no reason why we all cannot share the facilities, be they a road, bridlepath or whatever we are talking about.

Why would any one element think they are more important than anyone else?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 2 Oct 12 at 00:50
 Chief whip swears at police. - swiss tony
>> Hasn't helped that today I've been whizzing around the South Hams doing my van driving
>> job (which I have to say I'm enjoying immensely)...and there was some sort of cycling
>> road race on.

I've never understood how cycling racing is allowed on open roads.. (I know for the really serious racing roads are closed)

Thinking about it, maybe that's where some cyclists get the idea that the rules of the road don't apply to them - I've never seen a cycle race leader stop at a junction.....

>> Thinking about it, maybe that's where some cyclists get the idea that the rules of
>> the road don't apply to them - I've never seen a cycle race leader stop
>> at a junction.....

You need to see how its done, the organisation is very slick, I happened to blunder into the round Britain race last year in Norfolk.

There are a team of police outriders, and race organiser race outriders. They operate a kind of rolling road block zone about a mile in front of the race. Police outriders block junctions, their place is taken by a race organiser to keep it blocked and the cop races to the next one. Routes are chosen to make good racing and ease of road blocking, no junction seems to get blocked for more than 5 minutes. Impressive to watch.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 23 Sep 12 at 10:55

>> You need to see how its done, the organisation is very slick, I happened to
>> blunder into the round Britain race last year in Norfolk.
>>

I have seen some (local ones) and they vary - anything from very slick, to downright poor...
I have seen racing on OPEN roads.. with normal traffic on.

>> Hasn't helped that today I've been whizzing around the South Hams doing my van driving
>> job (which I have to say I'm enjoying immensely)...and there was some sort of cycling
>> road race on.

AFAIK road racing itself requires closure of roads. What is allowed is time trialling where the riders are competing against the clock. They're pretty fast though really shouldn't hold up the traffic that much but if one expects the way to part ahead of one then they may be a problem.

>> AFAIK road racing itself requires closure of roads. What is allowed is time trialling where
>> the riders are competing against the clock. They're pretty fast though really shouldn't hold up
>> the traffic that much but if one expects the way to part ahead of one
>> then they may be a problem.
>>

That could be what I've seen then.
Still dangerous to themselves and other road users......
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 00:47

>>Still dangerous to [...] other road users......

Rather overstated.

Trials are fairly common around here. Not really a problem unless frustrated drivers create one. Junctions are generally marshalled.

Sometimes though, I think they would be better advised to avoid early evening commuter times when there is more regular traffic, and lots of tired and impatient people on their way home.

The problem with all this "share the road on equal terms" bluster is that terms are not equal - the cut and thrust that is a reasonable risk to a car driver is a lethal threat to a cyclist.

Conversely, despite all the twaddle about cyclists causing major accidents, they essentially affect nobody's road safety except their own.

Too many drivers think leaving two feet of road and the gutter to a cyclist they are passing at 30mph or more is reasonable. The only way for the cyclist to defend himself against this is to "take the lane". Then at least if the driver pushes past, the cyclist has somewhere to go.
>> >>Still dangerous to [...] other road users......

>> The problem with all this "share the road on equal terms" bluster is that terms
>> are not equal - the cut and thrust that is a reasonable risk to a
>> car driver is a lethal threat to a cyclist.
>>
>> Conversely, despite all the twaddle about cyclists causing major accidents, they essentially affect nobody's road
>> safety except their own.
>>
>> Too many drivers think leaving two feet of road and the gutter to a cyclist
>> they are passing at 30mph or more is reasonable. The only way for the cyclist
>> to defend himself against this is to "take the lane". Then at least if the
>> driver pushes past, the cyclist has somewhere to go.

+1

>> >>Still dangerous to [...] other road users......
>>
>> Rather overstated.
>>
>> Trials are fairly common around here. Not really a problem unless frustrated drivers create one.
>> Junctions are generally marshalled.
>>
>> Sometimes though, I think they would be better advised to avoid early evening commuter times when there is more regular traffic, and lots of tired and impatient people on their way home.

I disagree at overstated, and reading on, so do you - to a point.
to run an event at early evening commuter times is asking for 'frustrated drivers' to 'create' problems, for the very reasons you state.
In a perfect world people wouldn't get wound up...

As for the marshalling, 2 people in Hi-Vis jackets, with no legal authorisation to temporarily stop traffic, is hardly adequate, withstanding the amount of traffic using the road system these days.

Overstated was my olive branch. Cobblers was what I typed the first time, that was a bit OTT ;-)

And of course I agree that minimising hold-ups is sensible. Anything that increases safety is everybody's responsibility, whether they are the peccant party or not.

At least we've managed to shift the responsibility from the cyclist , from directly causing accidents to making drivers frustrated so they cause accidents - that must be progress!

I don't suppose the bloke in the high viz minds us questioning his legal authority to stop us, as long as we stop to ask him...

>> At least we've managed to shift the responsibility from the cyclist ,

And there lies the problem. Lack of responsibility by the cyclist.
Say what you like but don't partially quote me you rogue!

Chief whip swears at police. - Ted
>>
>> >> At least we've managed to shift the responsibility from the cyclist ,
>>
>> And there lies the problem. Lack of responsibility by the cyclist.

Look at this video of two cyclists selfishly holding up a guy in a 4WD who obviously wants to overtake.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATZQJl0qIAk

Lycra louts :-)

Ted
>>

>> I don't suppose the bloke in the high viz minds us questioning his legal authority
>> to stop us,

Would he be impersonating a police officer by wearing hi viz and stopping traffic?
>> >> I don't suppose the bloke in the high viz minds us questioning his legal
>> authority
>> >> to stop us,
>>
>> Would he be impersonating a police officer by wearing hi viz and stopping traffic?
>>

Is it National Trolling Week or something?

:-)

>> >> >> I don't suppose the bloke in the high viz minds us questioning his
>> legal
>> >> authority
>> >> >> to stop us,
>> >>
>> >> Would he be impersonating a police officer by wearing hi viz and stopping traffic?
>> >>
>>
>> Is it National Trolling Week or something?

Its sunday, its raining, and the Grand Prix hasnt started yet.
>>Its sunday, its raining, and the Grand Prix hasnt started yet.

Ah...me too. Just lit the fire as well.

No I don't think so, but on the other hand you are free to ignore them.

>> Somewhat confirms many people's thoughts on some cyclists then. Full of their own importance and
>> feel the need to assert their right's all the time, regardless of common sense or
>> the needs of others.

So which bit of common sense is infringed by opening barriers by a bike's width?

I'm sorry but there are some people in authority who seem to think cycles are a 'problem' that needs to be 'solved' or that 'cyclists' need to be taught a 'lesson' . Until they pick up on reality we're going to have this sort of issue.

>> Somewhat confirms many people's thoughts on some cyclists then. Full of their own importance and
>> feel the need to assert their right's all the time, regardless of common sense or
>> the needs of others.

The 4 thumbs attached to that post - which I acknowledge refers to "some" cyclists - serve only to confirm the widespread irrational anti-cycling prejudice.

Almost all "cyclists" are drivers too. They are not defined by their hobby, they are just people with a sprinkling of the considerate, the inconsiderate, and complete wassocks, like the rest of society and the people who malign them.

On the average, I'm pretty sure they are more alert to road safety, given that the consequences for them are very much more severe.
>>The 4 thumbs attached to that post

I'm not sure about this thumbs/frownie face business. It seems almost underhand somehow;

I get the logic, but I'm not sure I like the reality.
>> >>The 4 thumbs attached to that post
>>
>> I'm not sure about this thumbs/frownie face business. It seems almost underhand somehow;
>>
>> I get the logic, but I'm not sure I like the reality.

I agree. I do thumbs but not frowns any more unless I put my name to it.

My post came across harder on WP, who worded his carefully, than I intended. My inference from the thumbs stands though.

>> Almost all "cyclists" are drivers too. They are not defined by their hobby, they are
>> just people with a sprinkling of the considerate, the inconsiderate, and complete wassocks, like the
>> rest of society and the people who malign them.

I don't like car drivers, cyclists, walkers, horse riders or anyone on a road...if they are inconsiderate or a complete wassock.

I don't differentiate.

But when I mentioned one section, a lot of people got all defensive.
""There are none so blind as those who will not see..."

As they say.

Anyway, nuff said.

>> the needs of others.
>

I suspect this was a 'dig' at me and the sort of cycling I've chosen to project. Actually what you're representing is a caricature strongly influenced by what I suspect is your underlying belief that cyclists should 'keep out of the way of cars'.

If I don't assert my rights then I'm likely to be close passed and otherwise threatened. Not because others have it in for me but due to fact that. hugging the kerb, I'm not registering. So I'd rather ride out a bit and make myself visible. Having done so I'm happy to move over when it's safe and the motorist can gain an advantage.

Getting to the back of the next London traffic light queue five seconds before me, via a pass two feet from my bars, when I can pass you again before they go green, is not an advantage.

>> >> >> Not excusing him but, as a vehicular cyclist there are few irritations to
>> exceed
>> >> the
>> >> >> "cyclists dismount" sign or a verbal instruction instruction to same effect.
>> >>
>> >> Why?
>>
>> Because it's a PITA. Cars don't move without a driver but let's suppose all passengers
>> have to get out and detour/walk through pedestrian gate; how do they feel?.
>>

I've seen this, when I've ended with the short straw, checking passes, there was always quite a few that seemed to not want to stop. They'd wave their pass about and be incredibly reluctant to stop. Never had a problem on the 'commuter' bikes it was (still only a minority) of the Tour de France wannabes. I think some of them wanted me to jog along side them.

Not saying you support them, I've just quoted your post for ease.

Chief whip swears at police. - tyro
Agree with sentiments expressed by Mark, Lygonos and most others on here.

"Whatever, it's modestly newsworthy but not a resignation matter!"

"Modestly" being the operative word.

I must confess that I turned on the Radio 4 news at 6 o'clock this evening while coming home in the car - and was absolutely dumbfounded that this was the main news story.

I think that is the big issue here. The story itself isn't very interesting. The reaction to it is not just interesting - it really beggars belief. A complete non-story is treated as if it is something major by pretty well the whole of the media.

Seriously worrying, IMHO.

Last edited by: tyro on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 21:50
 Chief whip swears at police - Bromptonaut
OTOH there's more security at end Downing St than just the gates; remember the ministerial car caught on ramp thing that was normally retracted under the road?

Those devices have a metal surface. I can personally vouch for just how slippery wet steel decking is and how offed cyclists can break bones.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 28 Apr 14 at 00:54
I don't think it would have been a news story or as big as it appears to be if it was a normal week.The police this week are bound to be more sensitive than any other week after the tragic events in Manchester.For the sake of going through a small gate Andrew looked for trouble and he got it.

Good relegated report on the World Tonight (Radio 4) relegated down the headlines, it was used as a vehicle to sort of suggest that it may have been played up to bury bad news regarding the PSBR - we are being manipulated by the media.

>> Good relegated report on the World Tonight (Radio 4) relegated down the headlines, it was
>> used as a vehicle to sort of suggest that it may have been played up
>> to bury bad news regarding the PSBR - we are being manipulated by the media.
>>

+1
Very successfully...

Except I don't think it was intentional...

(The PSBR story is much more serious.. But the top headlines this week have been topless photos and police murders.. no doubt very important but very parochial meanwhile Japan/China and Israel/Iran go unreported.

I hope you are all stockpiling a few foodstuffs for the January price hikes which will hit RPI hard...Sainsbury have a half price beef offer recommended for the freezer)

If he thinks that security is tough he should try the security around nuclear weapons. The only person I have seen bypass that was Maggie Thatcher and she had her own squad of armed bouncers and the key to use the weapons.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 22:38

>> OTOH there's more security at end Downing St than just the gates; remember the ministerial car caught on ramp thing that was normally retracted under the road?
Those devices have a metal surface. I can personally vouch for just how slippery wet
steel decking is and how offed cyclists can break bones.

All the more reason to dismount.

>> All the more reason to dismount.
>

Which was why I prefixed my post with OTOH; and alternative perspective to my original argument.

Chief whip swears at police. - Harleyman
>> Not excusing him but, as a vehicular cyclist there are few irritations to exceed the
>> "cyclists dismount" sign or a verbal instruction instruction to same effect.
>>

Ironic really that one senior Tory is best remembered for telling folk to get on their bikes, and now another is in the mire for being told to get off it!

Plebs - henry k
>>then he talks to coppers like they are muck allegedley.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19673697

includes

Last year, a government agency released a newsletter highlighting the problem of what it described as People Lacking Everyday Basic Skills.

Once people worked out what the first letters spelled, the scheme was dropped faster than you could say, "The Thick of It".

You could not make it up!!!!

Plebs- is getting to be used more often.

My offspring had a PC game IIRC building a Roman city and I still remember one of the triggers in the game was "More plebs!"

Plebs - Bromptonaut
>
>> Plebs- is getting to be used more often.
>>
>> My offspring had a PC game IIRC building a Roman city and I still remember
>> one of the triggers in the game was "More plebs!"

Isn't that the original context for the word; term for the ordinary citizenry of ancient Rome?

The offensive use to mean underlings, the vulgar common herd, is more recent.

Chief whip swears at police. - L'escargot
>> Strange carrying on by chief whip Andrew Mitchell swears at police.

He denies the allegation.

Matt:

goo.gl/iQecT
Has there appeared anywhere a clear account of what happened?

If the chief whip just got on his bike and ordered the coppers to open the gate for him then he would have been stretching it a bit. But if he was just trying to ride out when it had already been opened for a car, and was stopped and told to dismount by an officious copper, then his rage is more understandable. It would be interesting to see the cctv footage.

Latest Forum Posts