Non-motoring > Dad's Army Reborn Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 22

Dad's Army Reborn - Crankcase
I won't pre-judge too much, but remaking "classics" doesn't have a shining history.

Thumbs up or down for this one, do we think?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27128606

Dad's Army Reborn - Armel Coussine
I didn't much like the original. The remake is bound to be worse, stupidly vulgar too in the contemporary style.
 Dad's Army Reborn - Alanovich
Love the original. Will look forward to this, but share AC's fears. Trying to think of a modern interpretation of a great which has worked. Hmm. The remake of Open All Hours last Christmas was weak.
 Dad's Army Reborn - No FM2R
I loved the original. Really loved it.

But aside from the quality of the remake, those days have gone. The requirements of the audience have changed, including my own. They'll never make something which fits into the state of our lives as well as the original did.

They should focus on having new ideas.
>>The remake of Open All Hours last Christmas was weak.

Weak? It was naffin' awful.
 Dad's Army Reborn - Crankcase
Does Sherlock count as a remake, or just a reinvention? I understand that was well received.
>>Does Sherlock count as a remake, or just a reinvention?

I don't know about "just", but a reinvention certainly.
 Dad's Army Reborn - sherlock47
>>Does Sherlock count as a remake<<

NFM2R

Thank you for your post -whilst I am not a follower of a religous doctrine (sorry, fantasy?) it did prompt an excursion into the Wikipedia world of reincarnation. Educational at the very least.

Yours faithfully
Sherlock

Now wondering, in this virtual world of of name and brand re-engineering, if Shylock may be a better name?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 29 Apr 14 at 06:10
 Dad's Army Reborn - Roger.
If you think "Sherlock" is a remake look, if you can, at the USA TV series "Elementary", where Holmes is a recovering drug addict and (Joan) Watson is a female, Chinese, doctor who acts as a live in drug counsellor and detective partner!
Elementary is a reasonably enjoyable show of weekly 40 minute episodes. Its got very, very little to do with Conan Doyle.

Quite watchable though, other than the appalling version of Mycroft played by Rhys Ifans.
 Dad's Army Reborn - Haywain
My father was in the Volunteer Reserve (aka Home Guard) and reckons that 'Dad's Army' tells it like it was! He was too young to join up at the start of the war, and he went down the coal mine;
he went off for 'training' during the evening after work. After a while, he was issued with an Enfield 303 rifle, but my grandma wouldn't let him take it in the house; it had to live outside in the porch.

He has a great affection for 'Dad's Army', and was in his element when we took him up to Thetford to the DA Museum. Entirely manned by volunteers, it is visited by enthusiasts from all over the world.

Good luck to anyone who tries to do a film remake - but you've got a real job on your hands.
 Dad's Army Reborn - Bromptonaut
>> My father was in the Volunteer Reserve (aka Home Guard) and reckons that 'Dad's Army'
>> tells it like it was!

I've heard same story from people who lived through the war, including my Mother. She would have been 13 at the outbreak of war with neighbours and fathers' of her friends signing up for the LDV.

There are also those who say Porridge was a better representation of doing time then supposedly serious dramas set in prisons.
 Dad's Army Reborn - Haywain
"LDV"

Ah, that's it, Local Defence Volunteers, I knew 'Volunteer Reserve' didn't sound quite right; I think that's something else.
 Dad's Army Reborn - Harleyman
I've often thought that one of the factors which made Dad's Army so good was that many of its cast members had actually lived through the experience they were portraying; Arnold Ridley and John Laurie were veterans of the First World War, Clive Dunn, Arthur Lowe and John le Mesurier saw active service in the second. It is also inevitable that many of the studio audience would have been similarly experienced. The feeling I always get when watching it is that you laugh with the characters as much as at their antics.

That doesn't mean that it fails to appeal to a younger audience; Mrs. HM is a devoted fan. I don't, however, see a re-make as possessing the warmth which somehow was part of the charm of the original.
 Dad's Army Reborn - Robin O'Reliant
They should leave well alone, some things are of their time and don't work years hence. Remember the remake of Minder?

Diabolical rubbish.
 Dad's Army Reborn - WillDeBeest
Good luck to anyone who tries to do a film remake...

There was a film featuring the original cast but I thought it was weak. Perry and Croft worked best in the format of a half-hour episode. Those episodes have dated amazingly well, though; the Beestlings love them as much as I do.

It ain't necessarily so: we've watched the first series of Fawlty Towers on Amazon Prime, and while it has its moments, it relies too heavily on a clumsy, xenophobic stereotype and on making fun of a man with real and serious mental health problems. More cringes than laughs, I'm afraid.
 Dad's Army Reborn - CGNorwich
Fawlty Towers ........"it relies too heavily on a clumsy, xenophobic stereotype and on making fun of a man with real and serious mental health problems. "

and of course Dad's Army is riddled with, sexism and xenophobia and laughs at those suffering from Alzheimer's disease.
 Dad's Army Reborn - Cliff Pope

>>
>> and of course Dad's Army is riddled with, sexism and xenophobia and laughs at those
>> suffering from Alzheimer's disease.
>>

That's one of the inherent problems with making remakes. You either leave in all the (essential?) prejudices of the original, or spoil it by putting a modern slant on all the social nuances.

Society has become very judgemental about the past, and wants it all neatly tidied up by the PC Committee. Thomas Bowdler lives !
 Dad's Army Reborn - Fenlander
>>>That's one of the inherent problems with making remakes. You either leave in all the (essential?) prejudices of the original, or spoil it by putting a modern slant on all the social nuances.

Yep it was of its time and can be forgiven for any failings by today's standards for that very fact. Best left with the 1,576 old episodes they seem to have made.
1,576?

Stupid boy, Pike.
 Dad's Army Reborn - Fenlander
Well my 83yr old father says most weeks there's a new episode he's never seen before so there must be around that number... they're on old gits daytime TV whatever channel that is.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 29 Apr 14 at 16:04
 Dad's Army Reborn - WillDeBeest
Arguably, yes. But it's a fundamentally sympathetic portrayal, whereas FT, I felt, was just pointing and laughing at the funny mad man. And Dad's Army didn't consist mostly of shouting.

And, before someone else says it, "Don't panic!"
 Dad's Army Reborn - Jetski
L.D.V.
Look.
Duck and
Vanish.
Latest Forum Posts