Non-motoring > Phone software updates Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 122

Phone software updates - BobbyG
I have a Sony Xperia SP and it runs Android 4.1. Sony have released Android 4.3 for it back in February but when I check on the phone for updates there is none available.

Checked with Sony and they say its down to the network provider when its made available. I am with O2 although the phone is not locked to any network.

How do phone software updates work? How can I get APP updates constantly but phone software updates come through the network provider?

If I discovered that the update was available through another network, could I just borrow a Sim of theirs, put in phone, do update and then put my SIM back in?

Not really particularly desperate as such to get this update, more curious as to how the whole update / network provider thing works?
 Phone software updates - No FM2R
An update is tested, authorised and released for a network/telephone combination.

So, you need the Xperia SP / O2 / Android 4.3 update.

That may be different to;

Other Phone / O2 / Android 4.3 update

or the

Xperia SP / Other network / Android 4.3 update

Each chosen operator/phone combination is notified byt eh operator and then depending on the phone's setting will automatically download it or perhaps on a schedule, or perhaps when on WiFi or perhaps not at all depending on the settings on your phone.

Clear?

If your phone is set to automatic updates, then I recommend neither interfering nor worrying about it. Just check that it is.
 Phone software updates - Stuartli
Excellent summing up, No FM2R.

I bought a (supposedly) unlocked HTC One X when the model was first released from an eBay retailer and it came up with the Vodaphone logo etc.

But I've used GiffGaff Goodybags with it throughout and it works fine with the O2 network (GiffGaff is part of O2).

However, the Android System updates are sent out by Vodaphone...:-) No matter, I saved £70 by not buying from my usual source, the Carphone Warehouse, usually one of the cheapest for SIM free models.
 Phone software updates - Mike Hannon
>>GiffGaff Goodybags<<

Dear, oh dear. Now, yet again, I know why I have chosen to divorce myself from the 'cutting edge' of communications technology - to the amusement of everyone else.

We're (most of us) grown men for heaven's sake! This sort of thing is aimed at 10-15-year-olds. I'd rather use two tin cans and a bit of string.
>> >>GiffGaff Goodybags<<
>>
Dear, oh dear. Now, yet again, I know why I have chosen to divorce myself from the 'cutting edge' of communications technology - to the amusement of everyone else.

We're (most of us) grown men for heaven's sake! This sort of thing is aimed at 10-15-year-olds. I'd rather use two tin cans and a bit of string.>>

What's your problem? Scroll a little way down this link:

giffgaff.com/

A very good description of the packages, especially as they are much cheaper than O2's own offerings.
 Phone software updates - Duncan
>> What's your problem? Scroll a little way down this link:
>>
>> giffgaff.com/
>>
>> A very good description of the packages, especially as they are much cheaper than O2's
>> own offerings.
>>

I think you may find that Tesco Lite is even cheaper. No monthly charge.

tinyurl.com/kp9ccoe
Cheers for that explanation, makes sense
 Phone software updates - DP
I had an HTC phone with Orange a few years ago which typically took 9 months for any OS update to filter through both HTC and Orange's testing process. It was very frustrating, especially as the Android OS was evolving quite quickly at that point, and each new version had some significant new features or improvements.

You can of course root your phone and install whatever you like on it. Which is what I ended up doing.
 Phone software updates - Alanovich
DO NOT run the upgrade.

I did about 6 weeks ago and the phone (also Sony Xperia SP) has been nothing but trouble since. Slow, laggy, crashy, horrible. Wifi connectivity falls over twice a minute. I've restored to factory settings and it's still bad. Camera takes up to 30 seconds to start, messaging is really, really, slow, 10 seconds or so to open a simple text message.

It's awful awful awful and I'm utterly fed up I'm stuck on a contract with the wretched thing. Won't be making that mistake again.

Urgh.

My missus runs the same phone on the same network and had dodged the upgrade. Hers still runs perfectly.

Sony tell me Android can't be "downgraded" to the original version.
 Phone software updates - MD
I-Phone 4. What's the problem?
That's interesting Alanovic, what network are you on?

I saw some info on web pretty much saying what you experienced, but the recommendation was that factory reset would fix it - this obviously hasn't worked with yours!
Orange/EE.

I am not impressed. Can you tell?

I even got my old Nokia N8 (best phone in the world ever, but even an OS update on that wrecked it) out and brought it back to life, but then I realised I was too addicted to seamlessly backing up photos to Google Drive with the Xperia to go back.
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 8 May 14 at 13:11
Al,

My Samsung S4 just "upgraded" to Android 4.4.2 - what an complete and utter POS. Lags, hangs and black screens.

So I just "downgraded" to 4.3 Jelly Bean and have lost no data or anything.

Actually doing the deed was dead easy - took about 3 downloads, 4 commands and a wait of 15 minutes - although working out *how* to do it was fraught and time consuming.

There is a small risk, but its very small. It does however invalidate your warranty.

If you are interested I will put the time and effort into working out how to do it to your phone and pass on the instructions.

On the other hand, if you're not interested than no offence taken.
 Phone software updates - ....
I've heard KitKat is not worth the bother.

HTC did an upgrade to JellyBean on my HTC One X+. What a crock'osh*te. Bluetooth to the car via MP3 only works in standard mode, once you switch to advanced mode the whole thing goes breasts uppermost. Whenever an upgrade comes out now, I wait three weeks. If it's any good then it's still available. If it bombs they usually pull it within the week.
 Phone software updates - Armel Coussine
What is all this crap?

I've got a simple old Nokia mobile that works. When it dies I hope they will give me another one. What more do people want?
>>What is all this crap?

If there is a thread on a subject that does not interest you, why bother posting a note to say it does not interest you?

Why not just leave it to those who do find it worthwhile and not waste your own time?

>> leave it to those who do find it worthwhile and not waste your own time?

Honestly FMR, do you really find all this wittering about mobile software updates 'worthwhile'?

There's nowt so queer as folks.
Does it matter whether I do or not? Or would you similarly like to seek approval from me for anything you wish to talk about?

I don't believe you're a dick in real life, which makes it all the more surprising when you frequently behave like one in here.

Perhaps I'm wrong.
>> Does it matter whether I do or not?

Of course not. And more often than not, disapproval is what I am seeking here.

>> I don't believe you're a dick in real life, which makes it all the more surprising when you frequently behave like one in here.

Al-dik: Arabic for 'cockerel'. I doubt if you are one 'in real life' either, but one can always be mistaken. Frequently eh? Were I more fragile I might flounce.

I was going to write something but you know...I can't be bothered !!!

There are what ? fewer than 20 people who write on here and we can't be civil. I know I had a pop at Humph (with the Clegg reference, which I afterwards thought that was a bit out of order) who is probably one of the couldn't give a monkeys take it or leave it people here.

This place is knackered !!!
 Phone software updates - Dave_
>> I was going to write something but you know...I can't be bothered !!!
>>
>> There are what ? fewer than 20 people who write on here and we can't be civil.
>>
>> This place is knackered !!!

+1

:(
>>This place is knackered !!!

Perhaps, but not for the reasons you seem to feel.

AC can be an a***. I am sure he often feels exactly the same about me. I doubt it bothers either of us very much and I'm sure we could drink together, and still sometimes irritate the other without it particularly harming the experience.

In my experience the only people who NEVER irritate me, don't have much to offer in the way of stimulation either.

In truth the lack of numbers is the issue, simply because it reduces the cross section. People leaving a forum is normal, and desirable. One needs turn over.

The issue for this forum is that it has no feeder.

If one wished to fix the situation, one would have to worry about a feeder. There are NO problems for the forum that are caused by the incumbents, not any of them, not even the racists.

It is the lack of pipeline which does it.

So one doesn't need to worry about the behaviour about the existing members, one needs to worry about how to generate new readers.]

Ask HJ, he gets it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 1 Jun 14 at 21:25
>> >>This place is knackered !!!
>>
>> Perhaps, but not for the reasons you seem to feel.
>>
How do you "know" what I feel?

AC seems to be an amiable enough chap. He's been around the block a bit.

The lack of numbers I think comes down to the caustic responses.

I know I can take the Michael and anything I write can be taken with a pinch of salt as I hope anyone can see. If not, then I openly write here ignore me because I write tosh on an open forum.

However, when someone asks for advice, I hope my response to the individual is helpful e.g. AC asking about smartphones. He doesn't apparently "get them" so wonders what all the fuss is about ? When I take the Michael I believe it is obvious.
>>How do you "know" what I feel?

I have no idea how you feel. But I do write careful English. And so I wrote...

"not for the reasons you *seem* to feel."

I like to keep my knowledge and my interest reasonably aligned.
>> helpful e.g. AC asking about smartphones. He doesn't apparently "get them" so wonders what all the fuss is about ?

I have two problems with the things. One is that while mechanical engineering is meat and drink to me in a dilettantish sort of way, I've never taken to electronics. The other is that I can't work touchscreens.

All the nippers have these things and no doubt they are very useful to people constantly on the run. When I was it was all dodgy telephones and telexes in the post office in inconvenient African towns as often as not. But I'm not any more and glad of it. Happy to use a laptop for one thing and a mobile for one other thing.

Thank you for your kind judgment gmac.
I saw my first word processor on the lap of a hack working for the Philadelphia Enquirer in a hotel room in Chad in 1983. It had an old-fashioned liquid crystal greenish screen.

I asked if it was a word processor. He said it was.

There was no internet then. He would have had to send it down the phone in analogue form. The phones were utter rubbish with constant cuts in communication and a lot of garbling. The telex in the post office, sweaty though it could be, was just as good a bet, give or take a bit of sprinting about (anyone else notice that Ndjamena has the highest, or nearly, temperatures on those world weather maps?). Amazing I'm still alive.
>>There was no internet then. He would have had to send it down the phone in analogue form

I once had a contract to sort out an issue for the Dept. of Health. It was all around consolidation reporting for Trusts.

Each hospital was entering all its reporting data into a spreadsheet. They were then printing out the spreadsheet and faxing it to the Trust.

The Trust was then taking all the faxes and manually data entering them into a consolidation spreadsheet. That was then printed out and faxed to the Trusts controller.

There all the spread sheets were all typed into the consolidated central Trust reporting.

The Government officials were trying to understand why there was so much inaccuracy in the reporting.

My comment which was along the lines of "For crissakes, you could at least courier a floppy disk from one to the other" was not well taken.
>> "For crissakes, you could at least courier a floppy disk from one to the other"

But not from Chad to Philadelphia. Only the UN and the US networks had learjets and even they didn't have them on demand.

The normal phone connection went through Paris to London or New York. Once you were through it all might work beautifully, clear as a bell, but from wherever you were to Paris could be very iffy with random breaks and crossed lines, sometimes entertaining in themselves.

Of course a US hack may have been able to get help from the US embassy (offensively unhelpful to me I seem to remember). That could have been a major short cut, but I have no way of knowing for sure.
"crossed lines", now there's a forgotten but previously regular occurrence.

When I first started doing "difficult places" only about 1 in 20 calls would actually connect, and even then it frequently didn't connect to the person you intended. I often overheard stuff I wish I hadn't.

And often one was out of contact for weeks at a time. I used to live for letters from my Mother which she used to send weekly but frequently caught up to me in batches.

Tiresome, but somehow more interesting than the reliable communications of today.

>> The normal phone connection went through Paris to London or New York

The French and British zones of influence had separate networks focused on the metropolis. A call from Lagos to Cotonou, hardly fifty miles apart, not a hundred anyway, was routed through London and Paris.

Any fool can see how well it must have worked.
 Phone software updates - Mapmaker
>>f "For crissakes, you could at least courier a floppy disk from one to the other"

I once worked (for a very short time) for a very large UK-based bank with a huge employee share scheme. For purposes which are too dull to recount here, the data required crunching.

The information was emailed from the registrars. It was then printed out, and rekeyed into Excel. This took approximately a week.

This task landed on my desk as the new boy at 9am on Monday morning. By 9.30 am it had been done. Unlike in previous years, it was entirely error free...

>> the Philadelphia Enquirer

Should have remembered that the title is spelt 'Inquirer', with an I. Reminded of it by an item in today's comic saying that one of its owners was killed yesterday in a fireball resulting from a Gulfstream (private small jet) going off the end of a runway while trying to take off.

Small world one sometimes thinks. Nothing new, everything constantly recycled...

Sorry to bang on but I was struck by the coincidence.
>> There are NO problems for the forum that are caused by the incumbents, not any of them, not even the racists.

>> It is the lack of pipeline which does it.

Very sound FMR you old executive you... I mean it.

We're as interesting as HJ but we don't have the practical base to drive the 'feed'. Not all car enthusiasts get lateral thinking or broad general culture. Indeed not all car-site habitués are enthusiasts, not by a long chalk.

Perhaps we should start a magazine. Or all go back to HJ smiling and wagging our tails...

>>Perhaps we should start a magazine. Or all go back to HJ smiling and wagging our tails..

Well, lets give that last a miss....

But seriously it does need a feed.

It is inevitable that all people within a forum will split into two groups; those coming back tomorrow and those not.

Whether it is changing interest, personal circumstance, death, marriage, whatever, some will not come back tomorrow. That is inevitable.

Consequently over time the number of people within a forum can only decrease if they are not replaced. This forum has only ever had one feed; those people who were in HJ and disliked one period in its history. And that's a finite feed which dried up long ago.

So, where are the newbies going to come from? And there is a horrendous wastage/attrition rate amongst newbies, so one needs 100s to try the forum in the hope of retaining 10s.

Its not really behaviour of the people here, because at the very least that would still encourage like minded folk. Its not any of the old rubbish about people being bullied, or controversial, its not about people having flounces or dying. That's just part of attrition which would exist no matter what.

Its all about the number of people trying out the forum to see what its like and sometimes becoming new regulars. And that is somewhere between tiny and non-existent.

And I cannot see where such a feed can or will come from. For Stephen I imagine the forum is a pretty much zero capex/opex arrangement in exchange for doing a nice thing and getting a bit of advertising revenue in return. And a bit of personal satisfaction, no doubt.

And all the prevarication, all the back-biting and sniping, all the sanctimonious holier than though preaching, and all the wishing and wanting in the world will fail to change that one point - no feed.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Thu 5 Jun 14 at 18:33
 Phone software updates - Pat
OK, I've thought about this post since Sunday and I've come to the conclusion that purely from a business point of view No FM2R is quite correct.

That's as far as it goes though.

This, at the moment, isn't a business and I don't think Stephen wants it to be right now.

It is a place we can congregate, make friends and have a chinwag, even fall out and differ in opinion but it should be a place where no-one bullies anyone else.

Although I can see Mark's point, I miss Rattle, Arjardes, Zero, L'es and Dutchie to name a few, but there are many more.

I bet I'm not the only one who misses them either.

We all came here as outcasts from HJ, surely that alone means we can stick together and not let this forum die a death?

I applaud your business acumen Mark, but if you're not careful you will end up sitting in that comfy sofa, in this comfy lounge with a pint but with no-one to talk to.

Why not just think a bit before you post, just like Z should have done at times?

Let's see if we can't get back to the car4play we were 3 years ago and at least keep this thing going amiably until Stephen chooses to develop it.

I don't know about anyone else but since the few mentioned above have stopped posting, it's been boring for me.

Pat
>>Why not just think a bit before you post,

How do you know I do not? How do you know Zero did not? You should stick to passing such comments on things within your purview, and my motivation and process are not.

Equally you know nothing about my business acumen, or lack thereof, so I am not sure on what basis you are admiring it.

Further, quite clearly you failed to understand much of my point;

Everywhere, and I mean everywhere has people join and leave. A pub, a street, a company, a club, a family, a social group, EVERYWHERE.

This is not a business point, this is a social fact. Things change, circumstances change.

However, this forum has nobody joining, and nowhere from where they could join.

And as for "outcasts from HJ", get a life. People left there because it no longer suited them, as people have left here. Their right, and inevitable. But don't set it up as some sort of romantic rebellion.

>>This, at the moment, isn't a business and I don't think Stephen wants it to be right now.

It isn't a hugely successful business, but on what level is it not a business? I should think that the advertising revenue exceeds the marginal cost by a little. But the second part of your statement is silly. A businessman who doesn't want a business? Really?

Maybe he doesn't want to put the required effort into it, its possible he doesn't see a success route, but "doesn't want" seems most unlikely to me.

And as for your obsession about bullying, perhaps you could explain to me how Zero was "bullied" out and by whom?

Then you could let me know how Arjades was bullied out and by whom. Two people that I has always assumed would be difficult to bully.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 5 Jun 14 at 18:47
 Phone software updates - FocalPoint
As I have said today elsewhere, my view is that people take this forum too seriously. It is not the real world and the internet allows or even encourages people to be something other than themselves, for better or worse.

I have great respect for Pat, who unfailingly stands up for civilised behaviour and sometimes gets unwarranted stick for it.

I have a good deal of respect for Mark, but he often follows a line that seems unsympathetic - well-informed and logical though he often is. His ruthless pursuit of an argument can seem abrasive and lacking in humility, or that is how it looks to me.

It's not my intention to get involved in a discussion about which, if any, of our recent departures was the subject of bullying. However, I really hate nastiness, even in small quantities. Often I just don't read some threads.

Of late I have felt much more detached from the forum than I used to feel; if someone is really unpleasant to me I may or may not leave for a while, or possibly permanently. In the larger scheme of things it really doesn't matter to me.

Call it cynicism if you like.

Pat might be quite concerned that that's how I feel; Mark won't care.

That just about sums up the two ends of the spectrum of users of the forum.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Thu 5 Jun 14 at 19:55
>>His ruthless pursuit of an argument can seem abrasive and lacking in humility, or that is how it looks to me.

A fair point. Hence my presence in a discussion forum. I accept that it is not necessarily an attractive trait, but it is my own.

As for humility, I see that as about as useful as conceit. They are both pretentious and inappropriate in my opinion. And I try to avoid both.

I do believe that if one waves an opinion above the parapet, by posting it in a forum for example, one should be equally prepared for criticism and to justify that view.

Equally, I would never post something I think to be correct. I am not always right, but I always try to be, and wouldn't post it if I thought I was not. Surely I shoudl defend it?

My difficulty is knowing when to let it go.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 5 Jun 14 at 19:58
>>I would never post something I think to be correct.

We all know I meant "incorrect" there, surely.
>>A fair point. Hence my presence in a discussion forum.

Just imagine a discussion forum where everybody agreed with everybody...

In some ways this forum is a nice size. There are huge, flourishing fora out there which are utterly unwieldy. If you spend an hour or two a day there then you might keep up with it. Otherwise it's almost impenetrable. Skiers might be familiar with Snowheads, that's huge (No Do$h appears there occasionally). It's so huge that groups of 100-150 members go skiing together several times a season.

But I think internet fora for general chat with complete strangers are a mature market. If you're a member of one, then you'll stay. But youngsters use Facebook, Twitter etc. and generally communicate with their friends. Take up a new hobby, and find a new forum. But nobody knows what this one is *for*.

(And it wasn't dissatisfaction with management that brought us here, it was because the old place shut.)
"I accept that it is not necessarily an attractive trait, but it is my own."

And if it seems unattractive to others, might some reining-in of it not be appropriate?

"As for humility, I see that as about as useful as conceit. They are both pretentious..."

That is a very interesting comment. I think you misunderstand humility; it is not self-abasement so much as the avoidance of arrogance, or the appearance of it. In point of fact, your last two paragraphs above seem quite humble to me - an allowance of doubt, an appeal to the good sense of others (you use the word "surely") - and they are very welcome.

"I do believe that if one waves an opinion above the parapet, by posting it in a forum for example, one should be equally prepared for criticism and to justify that view."

I agree entirely.
>>Mark won't care.

I don't quite know how to explain this concisely....

I will be interested.
I will consider whether or not I think you have a point.
If I think I have done something wrong, I will apologise or otherwise try to put it right. And try to avoid doing it again.
I will consider whether or not I think it worth discussing further.

But its not really going to change my life. I refer to your point about it only being an internet forum - you are correct, that's what it is.

If someone in here writes 10 paragraphs about what a lovely person and what a genius I am, it doesn't change how clever or how nice I think I am.

If someone in here writes 10 paragraphs about what an unpleasant, thicko a*** I am, that doesn't change my opinion of me either.

So I don't know where that leaves me on the "care" scale.
>> I don't know where that leaves me on the "care" scale.

I don't really like being misunderstood.

I've only once been explicitly horrible to someone here, quite recently, and the person flounced somewhat to my regret.

But I have often been suspected or accused of being nasty to people. No one can read. It's awful.
 Phone software updates - VxFan
>> People left there because it no longer suited them

No, they left because it shut up shop for a while and the pub landlord down the road welcomed people into his bar instead. Quite kind of him considering how cold February can be.

I left for other reasons, all of which has been previously discussed before.
 Phone software updates - Bromptonaut
Is it worth moving the contributions above to a 'Future of This Forum' thread - perhaps as a 'sticky' ?

FWIW my own view is that while some of us are, like Mark and me, OK to argue until death many are not. If we lack the 'pipeline' for new members that sites like HJ have then, unless we can engineer one we need to be a bit more careful about alienating existing users. Arjades and Zero may be forceful enough to stand up others, like Hobby, were not and even more robust characters like GB were seen off by individual posts/posters.

I do wonder if it's worth a half day of Stephen's time to 're-launch' the site with a bit of a change of logo/decor and a clearer separation of the 'UKIP/Politics etc' bit of Non Motoring from the Gardening and Household advice stuff.

Such a re-launch to be accompanied by e-mails tailored to (a) current/frequent, (b) current/occasional and (c) lapsed/flounced useres.
"...they left because it shut up shop for a while..."

Absolutely - and what riled me was the lack of concern or communication about what was going on, with the implication that the regulars of the old Back Room could go hang.

I do spend some time over there again and I do post a fair bit. Avant (the sole moderator in effect) deserves some support; the atmosphere is different from here and mostly less congenial. I try to be helpful, but find myself snapping at the fools - in carefully-considered terms, of course.

There's little point in deep comparisons, but I would observe that the limited clientele of C4P, and the heavy use of the Non-motoring section, makes for some intense interactions and sometimes it all gets a bit too much. HJ has its share of resident idiots who would get short shrift here, but on the whole things are pretty car-orientated.

>> should stick to passing such comments on things within your purview, and my motivation and
>> process are not.
>>

Well, I had to google 'purview' but that just confirmed my comments are justified.

>> Equally you know nothing about my business acumen, or lack thereof, so I am not
>> sure on what basis you are admiring it.

Of course I do, you tell us frequently as is your right.

>>
>> Further, quite clearly you failed to understand much of my point;

I understand more than you give me credit for.

>> However, this forum has nobody joining, and nowhere from where they could join.
>>

It does, but they rarely stay around for long.

>> And as for "outcasts from HJ", get a life. People left there because it no
>> longer suited them, as people have left here. Their right, and inevitable. But don't set
>> it up as some sort of romantic rebellion.

Patronising and sexist (romantic, me?) but answered by VX perfectly.
>>

>> It isn't a hugely successful business, but on what level is it not a business?
>> I should think that the advertising revenue exceeds the marginal cost by a little. But
>> the second part of your statement is silly. A businessman who doesn't want a business?
>> Really?
>>
>> Maybe he doesn't want to put the required effort into it, its possible he doesn't
>> see a success route, but "doesn't want" seems most unlikely to me.

Splitting hairs and trying to make my words into something they clearly are not meant to be is what you do Mark, what you're good at, and the reason I and many others can' be bothered to pass our opinions on a lot of topics.

You home in on me having the temerity to assess your 'business acumen' like a vulture, yet you parade it proudly for all to see. That's the patronising part, assuming I'm not capable of respecting others views but still having reasons the think at this time, they are incorrect.

Many of us don't have the time or inclination to have to justify and explain every word of a post and knowing some will expect just that, means it's far easier not to post at all.

I see car4play much like a piece of land a businessman has with a development plan for later, but in the meantime he allows the local pony club to graze it for a nominal fee. I also see it as a good business decision because timing is important.

As for justifying bullying I'm not prepared to go down that route like FP, life is too short and I learned long ago that bullying, badgering and subtle persuasion take many forms. None of which I care for and don't like to be a part of either.

The point is we have been handed this forum on a plate, for our own use and pretty much a free rein where moderation is concerned.

Surely a bit of self moderation is in order when it has a detrimental affect on so many others?

Pat

>>>> Further, quite clearly you failed to understand much of my point;

>>I understand more than you give me credit for.
>>I see car4play much like a piece of land a businessman has with a development plan for
>>later, but in the meantime he allows the local pony club to graze it for a nominal fee. I >>also see it as a good business decision because timing is important.

No, I rather think you understand exactly how much I give you credit for.
I knew you would say that :)

Pat
I knew it first.

Look, I don't really want to argue with you, although I do think you are mostly wrong.

I basically believe that if one waves an opinion, idea, or whatever around then one should expect and be prepared for it to be questioned, challenged and perhaps criticised.

I do not believe that one should post a statement and expect it to stand unchallenged.

Equally, why on earth would I query an idea I agree with. I already understand it. Equally, if there is an idea I do not know, understand or agree with, then I would like to push it and find out whether or not there is something that I don't know.

This is an internet forum. It is for discussion.

If one writes statement such as "Political Party X is the answer to all our ills", then one should expect direct and strong challenge.

If one writes a statement such as "I like John Smith weedkiller for my chrysanths" then strong challenge would be out of order.

One should pick one's thread / subject / argument. Because as much as it is the freedom of anybody to start any subject, it is the freedom of anybody else to disagree and argue it.

It is completely beyond me why people object to being disagreed with, why they object to explaining their statements, and why they object to challenge.

Those considerations, as well as whether or not one believes oneself to be correct, should be part of the post / don't post decision.

If you ever said that you felt I should not start a discussion on a subject, I would consider that matter and your reasons and may well go along with it.

There is no chance ever of me agreeing to not post on a subject that someone else has started. Why should someone have the right to a statement but I have no right to challenge?

However, on the subject of the business model for this site, you are more wrong than a wrong thing having a very wrong moment on a very wrong day.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 6 Jun 14 at 18:08
>>However, on the subject of the business model for this site, you are more wrong than a wrong thing having a very wrong moment on a very wrong day.<<

Frankly, I don't give a damn.

One will try and conform, but in 68 years I have never managed to yet, so don't hold out much hope.....

Tomorrow morning I am going to be driving a lorry again, the best job in the world as far as I'm concerned and it makes me happy to look forward to that.

However you patronise me, you won't spoil that pleasure I have to look forward to, or the memory I will make....see what I mean about life's too short?

But it does me good to know I can still come out of my corner fighting when I have to and that isn't going to change while I'm still breathing:)

Stop there Pat.....the rest needs to be said face to face because I will, if I ever get that opportunity.

Pat
>>Frankly, I don't give a damn.

Then why bring the subject up or comment on it?

>>.the rest needs to be said face to face because I will, if I ever get that opportunity.

I'm not sure of your message, however you will find me the same. Lets us hope you listen with greater accuracy and understanding than you read, or I fear it will fare no better.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 6 Jun 14 at 18:24
And the frownies Pat, were *NOT* from me.
>> Lets us hope you listen with greater accuracy and understanding than you read, or I fear it will fare no better.<<

So predictably you always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of either not listening to you properly or not understanding you.

Have you ever stopped to think it may be you?

I think you'll find we all want this forum to be a place to chill, to gain information, to swap ideas and opinions. We want to have cyber friends we don't have to ever meet, we want our knowledge enhanced, we need information to be available when we're struggling. We want the ambience of an old fashioned pub, a caring selection of customers who respect each other.

When we relax we want to leave the boardroom behind, the willy waving and the CV are all left at work, and even the pedants are somewhat mellowed and only chide us mildly! (even CG)

What is it about that you're having a problem with?

Is work all consuming?

Is making money the most important thing in the world?

Is your ego so small it needs massaging?

It appears to be so.

>>Then why bring the subject up or comment on it?<<

Because I can, and by your own admission, that's what public forums are for.

Pat

I'm not fussed about frownies:)

It's what people use who haven't the balls to say what they think!

Pat

Edit: You have!
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 6 Jun 14 at 18:40
>>It's what people use who haven't the balls to say what they think!

On that, at least, we agree.
>> So predictably you always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of either not listening to you properly or not understanding you.

I don't know if it was predictable, but you certainly didn't read what I wrote. Or you did, but didn't understand it.

>> Have you ever stopped to think it may be you?

What may be me?

>> I think you'll find we all want this forum to be a place to chill..........

I don't know what I will find, I suspect I am not likely to look. I was talking of what I think. "we all" needs to look after itself.

>> What is it about that you're having a problem with?

I do not believe I am having any problem. I am simply disagreeing with you. It is you that struggles with with logically presented disagreement.

>> Is work all consuming?

If it was, then I wouldn't be here. And neither would anyone else.

>> Is making money the most important thing in the world?

No, my wife and children are. And the rest of my family. Making money is pretty good though. In fact, I I enjoy it almost as much as I enjoy spending it. Don't you?

>> Is your ego so small it needs massaging?

Now there you are certainly in a group on your own. The only person *EVER* to wonder if I might have a small ego. Its usually taken that I do not.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 6 Jun 14 at 18:50
Jeez, chaps... bit abrasive what?

'But the bears like to do it with a slap'

(song and dance routine, 'Ichabod and Mr Toad', Walt Disney cartoon)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=khsN1iNaeCE

Not a toad in sight.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 6 Jun 14 at 19:04
 Phone software updates - Crankcase
How can that have passed me by for 50 years? God I love this place.
 Phone software updates - Runfer D'Hills
Anyone who has ever found themselves standing in a primary school playground waiting for or watching their offspring and their peers will have noticed that some children have a propensity to spend more time arguing about what the rules of the game should be than actually playing the game.

Fortunately most of them grow out of that. Some though, make it a lifetime's habit.

I do wish someone would ring the bell for the end of playtime on this now.

;-)
>spend more time arguing about what the rules of the game should b

Watching at the girls' school, it would appear that arguing about the rules *IS* the game.
>> Not a toad in sight.

It was a strange movie with two halves. My memory is that the bears' sort of robust barn dance was in the Ichabod half, but I could easily be mistaken after all these years. If so, sorry O... otherwise go forth and multiply sort of thing.
>>It was a strange movie with two halves...........

I didn't remember that, but I googled your remarks and turns out you're correct. Not how I remember it at all though.
 Phone software updates - CGNorwich
"What is it about that you're having a problem with?"

Don't even know where to start with that sentence. :-)

>> This is an internet forum. It is for discussion.
>>
Agreed !

>> It is completely beyond me why people object to being disagreed with, why they object
>> to explaining their statements, and why they object to challenge.
>>
For me, the difference is timing. You go to a social gathering, you meet people you discuss, disagree, listen to each others point of view and leave.
There might be the odd word the next time you meet but the topic is generally done and people get that there are many sides to be explored.

The problem with the internet is the history never goes away, unlike the conversation. It is there for anyone to sift over and pick up at any time in the future.

When does the discussion stop and the antagonist become a crashing bore who nobody wants to swap the time of day with? You walk into a place, see someone and turnaround and walk out.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 6 Jun 14 at 19:18
Now that is not only a very good point, its one I hadn't considered before.

I guess after a lively conversation in the pub we all drive home and sometimes think "I wish I'd said......" albeit almost certainly better that you did not. However, it wasn't said and the fun conversation continued all the better for it.

Whereas in a forum one has time to sit and decide to what degree and extent one disagrees, or is offended.

I'd guess also that when arguing in a pub it is more likely that the whole group is in one mood, one situation and one moment. Whereas in a forum that is not the case.

Equally I think in a pub conversation we can be shouted down, or take the immediate feedback of being pedantic or boring, before we've invested too much pride in the conversation.
And this all has what to do with phone software updates????
 Phone software updates - Duncan
>> It is the lack of pipeline which does it.
>>
>> So one doesn't need to worry about the behaviour about the existing members, one needs
>> to worry about how to generate new readers.]
>>
>> Ask HJ, he gets it.

I agree, we don't have a source of new members or active posters, other than word of mouth, or people falling in through the front door via the internet.

HJ may have got it, but have you visited his forum recently? There is very little activity there. Most threads have fewer than 10 posts. I don't suppose HJ needs the Back Room Forum for income or any other reason - just as well!

I came here from HJ, because The Back Room had shut down for a revamp, I received an email from someone pointing me to C4P and have been here every since.

Nowadays I rarely look at the HJ site.

Would I leave here? Possibly, but where would I go? I don't want wall to wall motoring discussion. I much prefer the non motoring subjects, right across the spectrum of discussion, from sport to politics to phones to computers etc etc.
>HJ may have got it, but have you visited his forum recently?

No, but I will now I think about it.

Bear in mind he never liked the Backroom, didn't want the Backroom, and saw it as a necessary evil that he would put as little money and/or effort into as possible.

For his business model then at worst the Backroom was a waste of money and at best it was part of promoting an image that the site needed. In reality it was probably more the latter than the former, but it was never a priority.

However, even then it was the motoring side of the forum which was valuable. All the other stuff was mostly a PITA. If it had a value then it provided entertainment and an environment that encouraged the experts from the Motoring side to hang around, even when their skillset was not being called upon at that moment.

However, firstly the different forums and then later specific threads, were all designed solely to give justification without argument for actions taken to keep the motoring forum clean.

HJ.co.uk is now a viable business. So insofar as his own desires were concerned, HJ was correct in his approach.
>>>HJ may have got it, but have you visited his forum recently?

Have now.

From a business perspective he seems to have got the relative traffic within the different forums about right.

He's retained the non-motoring forum as somewhere to drive the dross out of the areas he wants. From my point of view its not particularly interesting, but then I'm not his target audience.

Mind you, the quality of advice in the "Legal" bit is terrifying. I couldn't be bothered to check, but I assume he's got all the disclaimers and stuff in place. I read a thread about contract and a thread about insurance in detail and they were both scarily, and consistently, wrong.

Usually it used to be me to accuse HJ of paranoia, but in this case it'd be the other way around. Its s***e.

The motoring stuff seems pretty good though. And the website as a whole is fine, although looking a bit dated. Its either on the run down or its due a re-vamp I would guess.

Phone software updates - VxFan
>> or its due a re-vamp I would guess.

I know a pub down the road that'll welcome his customers while the site goes offline again ;)
>>Would I leave here? Possibly, but where would I go?

Agreed. But where do we advertise and make known the forum's attractiveness for just those reasons to the world at large?

And the name doesn't help.

If it works for Mumsnet, then there is surely a viable place for this forum also....
>> What is all this crap?
>>
>> I've got a simple old Nokia mobile that works. When it dies I hope they
>> will give me another one. What more do people want?
>>
It's under the misguided label of SmartPhone. It really has nothing to do with what you consider a phone but more a computer. If you use a PC then you will be familiar with MS "updates". That's what these are, except they're not. People are becoming more and more wise to the downsides rather than upsides of a "free" update.
There are, as far as I am concerned, two issues with KitKat;

1) It is inconsistently buggy.

You may install it with no issue; your neighbour may have hangs, blackouts and excessive battery usage. Currently there seems to be no consistency.

2) It removes SD card access.

Even if it works properly and without bugs, you will no longer have any access to the individual directories on the SD card allowing you to copy on and off data as you wish.

i.e. I can no longer copy documents directly to the Kindle app using a USB connection. I have to find away to copy it on using the Kindle app itself. A nightmare for a 100mb file, for example.

That's a show stopper for me.

This SD access is withdrawn partly as a driver towards greater app to app security and partly to dodge Microsoft licence fees. (FAT32). Its not a bug, and it shows no signs that it will ever go away, whatever the users think.

On the plus side....

Oh, I didn't find any. No additional functionality I cared about, no increased performance or better battery usage, nothing.
Oh, and by the way, along wiht everything else in 4.4.2 is a new bootloader which is specifically designed to prevent you getting back to 4.3.

I'm quite disillusioned, really. It's not what I thought Android was about - it would seem that they have decided the Apple business/technology model is the correct one.
I have a One X - every software upgrade (provided by Vodaphone even though it's an unlocked phone) has been silky smooth. It doesn't, of course, have an SD card facility.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 2 Jun 14 at 00:42
Are you on 4.2.2?

Aside from the SD thing, which is a killer for me, I keep getting unexplained hangs or refusals to wake up - only 30 seconds or so, but really annoying.

Mines an S4 and I've never had a problem with upgrades before with either this or my previous HTC One (not X).

I cannot reliably track it down to anything in particular. It even seems to happen in safe mode.
Yes, 4.2.2. I do ensure that either the battery is fully charged or the One X is connected to the charger and then let the software update run its course. I've had the One X for just over two years now and such updates have proved trouble free.

That didn't apply, however, to the (non-removable) battery which packed up after a year's use and the phone had to go back to HTC for a new one to be fitted. It was done fully at HTC's expense, being collected on a Tuesday and returned on the following Friday - excellent service.

But it did teach me to add further backup security by installing the free G Cloud Protect app, both on the phone and a Nexus 10 tablet...:-) Does exactly what it says on the tin:

www.gcloudbackup.com/
I'll have a look at the backup tool

BTW, I think we both meant 4.4.2 not 4.2.2 - my mistake.
No, 4.2.2 in my case. The software number is 4.17.161.3.

The Nexus 10, from memory, is probably 4.3...:-)
4.3 is Jelly Bean and 4.4 is KitKat. I recommend that if you are offered the 4.4 update OTA that you research it on the internet for your specific device before agreeing to it.
 Phone software updates - Focusless
Just checked my S4 and it's on 4.4.2; updated a few weeks ago IIRC. Haven't noticed any difference, all seems fine.

Perhaps the problem is network-specific (I'm on Vodafone)?
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 2 Jun 14 at 06:56
>>4.3 is Jelly Bean and 4.4 is KitKat. I recommend that if you are offered the 4.4 update OTA that you research it on the internet for your specific device before agreeing to it.>>

The Google Nexus 10 is 4.4.2 - the KitKat update came through very quickly after it was first released I now recall, not surprising as it's a Google device (although made by Samsung)..:-)

I've been using Android mobile phones and other devices for several years and never had a problem with an update.

Suppose I'd better touch wood now...!!!
>>The Google Nexus 10 is 4.4.2 >>

The 4.4.3 system update turned up earlier this morning....:-)

www.anandtech.com/show/8108/google-begins-android-443-rollout
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 6 Jun 14 at 12:33
 Phone software updates - Pezzer
HTC One X wont get KitKat because of the nvidia/tegra hardware and lack of driver support. Mine is rooted and running a custom ROM and Kernel and runs very nicely on 4.2.2.

Btw - if anybody is looking for a cheap SIM free Android phone I highly recommend the Moto G from Motorola approx £140 for the 16GB version (8GB less). Bought one for 18yo No1 son who thought he wanted an iphone and he is delighted with it.
>>..I highly recommend the Moto G from Motorola >>

Even better buy now according to Expert Reviews is the Moto E:

www.expertreviews.co.uk/smartphones/1308688/motorola-moto-e/2
>>HTC One X wont get KitKat because of the nvidia/tegra hardware and lack of driver support.>>

Meant to point out when I first saw this that you are/were way off the mark...:-)

Phone software updates - Pezzer
How come ? Yes there are some development/AOSP ROMs available but there will not be an official Sense based ROM from HTC.

>> On the other hand, if you're not interested than no offence taken.
>>

Thanks for the offer NF, I have already found the method required to "root" my phone and am currently prevaricating over whether to go for it or not. So offer very much appreciated, but please don't go to all that effort as I already have the info.
Rooting is good, but its going back to Jelly Bean which can be a challenge. Let me know if I can help.
Actually - just checked and my phone is on Android 4.3. Build number is 12.1.A.1.201. I suppose my upgrade was from one version of Jelly Bean to another, but it's still a crock of the brown stuff.
I am still on 4.1.2 with build number 12.0.A.2.254 so not even at the most up to date Jelly Bean!
Swap ya.
>>Swap ya.

Thank you for your kind offer sir but after giving this careful consideration

Naw!!
Al,

I am by no means an expert on this stuff, but I have been fiddling around with it this last week, so I thought I'd pass on my thoughts.

Rooting; One hears a whole pile of stuff about rooting. Firstly much is said of the ability to remove what is called "bloatware" from the supplier.

Firstly its quite clearly a dumb-ass term. Secondly the amount of storage used by an App is trivial in the scheme of the capacity that devices have these days. I cannot see, for example, how removing a 50mb App makes much difference one way or another on a phone with even 8GB of storage.

Its true that some of them have a chunk of data, my Gallery and Kindle for example, but they have that data *because* I use them, so I'm hardly going to remove them.

Nonetheless, Root will give you the ability to delete what you don't want, and move some of what you do want to the SD card. Kind of depends on your phone and your challenge how useful that is.

Further, one can then go the next step from root to installing your own version of the O/S. I tried Cyanogen mod. Its ok, I guess its more efficient, but it didn't make any difference in my world. And the Contacts and Camera software is vastly inferior - IMO.

Its supposed to be faster, I believe them but couldn't see any difference myself.

Equally it appears to me that on reflection Samsung (in the case of my phone) thought carefully about what they were doing and had used the OS and the Apps to make best use of the hardware. So Samsung's approach is directed at my phone, whereas Cyanogen's approach, whilst undoubtedly clever, is a generic approach to all phones.

So, in the normal scheme of things I might root, but I wouldn't flash a new OS build.

Two things might sway the balance though;

1- Older phones which are now largely ignored may well benefit from the strip down of an OS and more modern functionality.

2 - If one has issues that the supplier doesn't seem willing to address, then you do have somewhere to go.

Further if one simply enjoys messing around, it is rather fun.

In your case Al, IMHO, rooting will do nothing for you at all. Installing a new OS build might.

Equally, and what after a week of arsing around finally sorted my considerable issues, was rooting and forcing a reinstallation of the correct software. It seems in my case that something went wrong with the upgrade. Not enough to cause it to fail, but enough to cause it to play around.
 Phone software updates - rtj70
The term rooting for Android comes from it's Linux based operating system. On Linux/Unix if you are root (i.e. admin with access to anything) then you can make changes to the system. Once rooted, you can usually turn it on/off. Useful for some apps that would not allow root access, e.g. some online banking apps.

To install an alternative version of Android, you usually only need to unlock the boot loader though. That's what I did on my Nook to replace B&N's version of Android to have stock Android on it.

The problem with vanilla Android from Cyanogen is it doesn't take advantage of some of the hardware, especially cameras. For that you need extra apps and drivers that know about the hardware. So if you want stock Android that's a bit better than Cyanogen's version, the Play Editions for some phones is better. But still the camera app won't be as good as you get from say Samsung/HTC/Motorola for their phones.
>>The term rooting for Android comes from ....

I wasn't clear, I meant the term "Bloatware".

>> Cyanogen is it doesn't take advantage of some of the hardware

Are you aware of a good app that would take advantage of the camera in an S4?
>> Are you aware of a good app that would take advantage of the camera in an S4?

I don't think even the Google Play Edition of an SGS5 has as good a camera app. Not one as good as Samsung provides. Not aware of any other apps but that's not to say one doesn't exist.

Back to why you might want to root... removing apps is not only about saving space. Some is using battery life too. I'd like to totally remove Facebook and Twitter. But I see a downside to rooting.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 8 Jun 14 at 19:12
>> Some is using battery life too.

That's a good point, I didn't use try for long enough to be sure, but I did notice it seemed to use less power.

As for removing Facebook and Twitter, I don't see very much gain really.

>>But I see a downside to rooting.

Which is?
>> As for removing Facebook and Twitter, I don't see very much gain really.

Well if you never use them, why have anything on the phone relating to them?

>>But I see a downside to rooting.
>> Which is?

Some apps won't run if the phone is rooted. One I use (Barclays) won't. I know root can be turned off/off as wanted.

:

But I upgraded my phone (HTC One) in April.... battery life is down. And battery usage does not report real usage.... might look to downgrade to be honest. I even did a full factory reset but it has made no difference.
>> I'd like to totally remove Facebook and Twitter.
>>
I'd like to remove them too, I use neither they are consuming resource needlessly. I've stopped them and blocked updates but they're still consuming space for no reason.

>> But I see a downside to rooting.
>>
I guess you mean any enhancements made by your phone manufacturer will not be made available to your phone. My current phone has enough RAM which HTC said would be the cutoff for KitKat. It's still not available for my phone though, judging by reviews, may not be such a bad thing.
>>I guess you mean any enhancements made by your phone manufacturer will not be made available to your phone.

But they always will be surely? albeit perhaps not automatically OTA.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 8 Jun 14 at 21:13
I'm no expert however if you move away from the manufacturers spec then their tweaks will no longer be available due to you not running their firmware.

To my mind is like having a third party remap on your car. It will flag up a checksum error which will stop any update from the manufacturer as they do not know what they are working with therefore the safe option is to leave well alone.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 8 Jun 14 at 21:19
Two different things gmac;

Updates will most certainly not be available if you install a new/different build of Android. However, simply rooting should not prevent you using an update, although you would almost certainly have to root again after the update. It will probably prevent an automatic OTA update though.

There are many ROMS available, one of which is the latest one that your operator intended for your phone.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 8 Jun 14 at 21:28
It's maybe time I started to have a dig around. Unix and I aren't natural mates, I'll start with SWMBO HTC One V, if it goes Pete Tong no loss for me...she fancies a new phone anyway.
Good luck to you, from my own experiences last week I would mention;

Make sure you can get the correct ROM for your phone so that you can get back to square one if you need to.

Don't worry too much about the Apps, you can always download them again from Play if you need to. The only thing to remember is which apps were on the SD card and which on the phone. Things like Kies will only restore data if the app is installed before the restore starts, and then seem to get confused if the app is not in the place it was.

Do worry about your data and photographs. Equally when restoring be careful you don't up with duplicates of everything. I took copies of contacts and photographs and then when I eventually need to restore, I restored, then deleted all the contacts, and then re-imported them from GMail - any other way seemed to result in me ending up with duplicates of everything, and since I have over 2,000 contacts on my phone, that was an a***.

Make sure you have a record of any usernames/passwords that you may need to reenter.

I know a backup is obvious, but my backups weren't all that much help. I found my copies of stuff were.
I've been through your pain with GMail. I found it better to hold the contacts on my phone and only use GMail as a backup. Once you start syncing as you've found you end up with many duplicates and is a RPITA to fix.

Photos are all on NAS. The phones are used to take photos, as an MP3 player, access email when out and about plus the internet. I use mine when I'm not on the bike to listen to Chris Evans on the drive into work in the morning.
To upgrade an Android device no a non standard ROM, the boot loader needs unlocking. This is not rooting. For an HTC phone this is supported by HTC.

Rooting an Android device is something a little different... it's related to being able to do things once the phone is running Android.

Of course you can do both. But to install a new ROM, the boot loader needs to be unlocked.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 8 Jun 14 at 22:15
I did this tonight as an experiment.

HTC do make it easy providing you with the unlock_code.bin file to unlock the bootloader.

After that pretty straight forward, just created a backup of the original ROM, if I should ever want to go back I can.

The only reason I rooted the phone was to enable me to make use of the hosts file.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 22:23
Thanks, NF. My phone seems to have settled in to a routine whereby it's insufferably slow to open messaging and camera when it's been woken up from standby, but once it's going it's bearable. So I'm going to live with it for now.
I have often fought against the Apple brigade in favour of android, specifically because it allows you to fully customize your phone and features (rather than only what Apple are willing to enable you to do)
The other selling point for me is the micro SD slot that allows ease of moving stuff about your phone and ease of expanding the memory.

If the updates coming out are rendering the SD card useless, and also limiting the flexibility, then it would really make me think about getting another android phone.

Meanwhile, all my anger and disgust at O2 for not releasing this update for my Xperia SP was maybe not fair - could it be they are reluctant to release it for a reason?

Phone software updates - Focusless
>> I have often fought against the Apple brigade in favour of android...
>>
>> If the updates coming out are rendering the SD card useless, and also limiting the
>> flexibility, then it would really make me think about getting another android phone.

Try Tizen: www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27660366
>>If the updates coming out are rendering the SD card useless,

Not quite. What it does is deny you direct access to the application directories.

So, for example, I use the Kindle app to read documents, essays, magazines and books. Those that do not come from Amazon directly are stored on my computer and I email them to my kindle address.

Thus, on the Android the Kindle software receives the book and places it in its own directory on the SD card.

However, for large documents I usually load it directly onto the directory on the SD card. I can no longer do that, but 50mb is too big to email.

Again, if I wish to delete a whole ton of stuff, I have to do it using the application, rather than simply accessing the SD card and deleting it in one go.

That is quite an issue for me, although perhaps not for others.

The motivation behind it is two-fold. One is to bring further security to an Android which essentially has none. At least, not without SD Card encryption.

The other relates to licence payments and other agreements over the use of FAT32.

Essentially, its not going to change.

It may also be that the hardware manufacturers would like you not to have a changeable SD card but would prefer you to pay more or less for a phone with greater or lesser storage space - like Apple. Essentially generating more revenue for them, rather than accessories suppliers and allowing greater range flexibility. But that's a guess, I don't know anything.

However, the other side is inexplicable hanging, lock screen issues and the like. These are bugs, presumably caused by a complex combination in the environment which only affect some.

I have two S4s, both had KitKat. One messed around like an awful thing, the other didn't. And I couldn't find a relevant difference between the two.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 2 Jun 14 at 13:40
>>more or less for a phone with greater or lesser storage space

More or yet more for a phone with greater or lesser storage space...
 Phone software updates - Rudedog
Reading these replies makes me feel a bit better when I decided to ditch my iphone and go back to BlackBerry, the Z30 I have running BB10 is a great phone, very well made and I've now got totally used to the way BB10 works compared to the rigid iOS of the iphone.
For work I don't think a Blackberry can be beaten.

For social time, not so much.
 Phone software updates - riddler
O2 have released the upgrade to 4.3 for the Xperia SP. I updated about 3 weeks ago without any problems.
That's interesting - although I am on O2 it is an unlocked phone from Phones 4U so not upgrade yet for me.

What changes did it bring to your SP?
 Phone software updates - Fursty Ferret
I used to use www.cyanogenmod.org/ on my Android phone. Highly recommend it. One -click install now as well, although I imagine it'd wipe your phone in the process.
I tried that a week or so ago, wasn't struck.

In particular I didn't like the camera software or the contacts app.

Any comments?
An update on the situation with my Sony Xperia SP. Sony released a new point update this weekend and it duly arrived on my phone. I prevaricated, then thought, well, perhaps it will fix the problems I'm having. It took about 8 attempts to get it to update without errors, and at one point I was thinking that it was curtains for the phone. But I tried one last time and, it worked.

Now the phone is behaving exactly as I would want and expect - it appears completely fixed. No more lags, hangs, crashes. At last.

The release/build number is 12.1.A.1.205

I shall refuse all further updates and replace the phone at the end of my contract (Sep 2015).
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 16 Jun 14 at 10:35
That's interesting - sony Companion told me that there was an update for my SP so I duly ignored your previous fears and pressed on with the update.
It has made no difference at all to my Android - still on 4.2 etc.

I queried this with Sony via twitter and they replied saying that this software was just as you say, an update to correct previous issues as opposed to a full Jelly Bean type update.

Oh well, if I ever do get the update I feel a bit safer going ahead with it now!
Latest Forum Posts