Non-motoring > "British public wrong about nearly everything" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 14

"British public wrong about nearly everything" - No FM2R
Something I'm always heard to say.

However, in the following even though the "real" case is dramatically different to the "perceived" case, it still sometimes doesn't seem all that good for some of them.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-public-wrong-about-nearly-everything-survey-shows-8697821.html
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - Stuartli
Well everyone except me, of course....:-)
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - Armel Coussine
I was expecting a link to the Daily Mash which is funny about this sort of thing and very scathing. The Indy link was disappointing by comparison but one can't disagree with much of it. Even so the agreement isn't as total and joyous as it would be with the Daily Mash line, very down on how horrible and stupid we all are.
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - Manatee
Only because most people are utter rubbish at numbers.
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - Meldrew
I don't think crime is falling; reported crime is because people only want a crime number for their insurance company and don't think any worthwhile investigation will result from reporting a crime.
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - Cliff Pope
Just to be the devil's advocate, but isn't that how democracy works? Most people are wrong about everything, but the overall cumulative result is a kind of concensus that by and large shifts opinion in the right direction.
Nothing serious usually results directly from the misconceptions, so the public blithely carries carries on in its own way, moaning or shouting or cheering, and meanwhile the government (any government) bends a bit with the wind and tries to make sufficient accommodation with the ignorant electorate so as to get re-elected. Sometimes it fails because the other side makes a more successful bid for the mob's approval.

It would be very serious if we had direct democratic decisions on every issue, but fortunately we have a representative democracy, so usually something sensible and workable emerges from the chaotic ignorance.
No one's ever thought of anything better, anyway.
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - BobbyG
Apparently red wine and dark chocolate are now no longer good for you.
Wish to hell they would make up their mind!
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - madf
Well I quote:
"Crime: some 58 per cent of people do not believe crime is falling, when the Crime Survey for England and Wales shows that incidents of crime were 19 per cent lower in 2012 than in 2006/07 and 53 per cent lower than in 1995. Some 51 per cent think violent crime is rising, when it has fallen from almost 2.5 million incidents in 2006/07 to under 2 million in 2012."

We all know there are no correct figures on this as the police cheat. So to say the public are wrong is disingenuous : no-one has any correct figures.

So the study in my view is spherical objects.
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - R.P.
The British Crime Survey has nothing to do with Police Crime Figures. Whilst the London based media have made a meal of Police fiddling crime figures due to corruption, thick call-takers and crap management it's as well that our Force in north Wales have had effectively a clean bill of health scoring a 93% in the crime recording audit by the HMIC along with many other provincial Forces. The Met needs to be looked at it is too big - needs to be broken up into smaller units. The Federation's recent muppetry is due in large to the Met and its doings.
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - movilogo
A lot of things depend on perception rather than actual numbers.

Crime is not falling for sure. There has been rise of burglaries in my area. Police just don't bother investigating. In fact, in one my friends case, police initially refused to turn up at all. Then they turned up only after he complained against police inaction!!

Problem is, politicians and govt. lie so often, people just don't believe them even if on few occasions they tell the truth.

Stats can often be manipulated. So there is a good reason for public not to believe in those numbers.
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - Falkirk Bairn
REPORTED crime is down

i.e. Intruders in the garden set off alarm as they tried to turn off the garden lights - broke the lights, plant pots etc etc - the house 2 doors down found is pane of double glazing was 1 single pane and a neighbour's car had items taken from it that night.

No point reporting it as all we would get is a crime number and nothing would be done.

All told I was some £30, Window was some £200 and the car contents say £100 - cannot clim on insurance for £300 damage as all the insureer would do as up the premiums.
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - CGNorwich
"Crime is not falling for sure. There has been rise of burglaries in my area. "

And therein is the problem. Your conclusion of the national situation is made on the observation or even perception of a small sample. THis is human nature but explains why the public as a whole are so often wrong.
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - Bromptonaut
>> And therein is the problem. Your conclusion of the national situation is made on the
>> observation or even perception of a small sample. THis is human nature but explains why
>> the public as a whole are so often wrong.
>

I'd had that thought too. It may be, for example, police action in a city shifting drug related acquisitive crime to suburbs and dormitory villages.
 "British public wrong about nearly everything" - movilogo
Well, the problem is that you can't simply made a sweeping statement like "crime is down".

We need more to qualify the statement like which crimes are down, which areas, are they up in different areas as a result etc.

Often stats are used like a drunkard using lamppost - for support rather than illumination. That is the problem.

"British public wrong about nearly everything" - Roger.
"Reported" crime is down - handy that, for the bean counters in Guvmint!
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 13 May 14 at 13:44
Latest Forum Posts