Non-motoring > Which camera? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 62

Which camera? - No FM2R
No 1 daughter is very into photography but uses her telephone. She would now like to expand into using a "proper" camera.

Yet another area I know little to nothing about.

Secondhand is good, eBay or similar is fine, but I have no idea what to buy.

Digital (no developing), lots of nature/landscape and stuff, middle distance rather than close or long.

Is something like this any good?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-COOLPIX-L310-14-1-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-/121328058988?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item1c3fb7426c

I don't mind spending money, since she's pretty good at sticking at things, but less money is always better.
 Which camera? - Robin O'Reliant
Surely if she's into photography and likely to stick at it an SLR would be better? That one would suit a casual snapper like me (Even though I have a film SLR too), but there is no facility to fit different lens.
 Which camera? - No FM2R
You have no idea how little of what you said that I understood.

Any chance of a clue?
 Which camera? - Dulwich Estate
A SLR camera (Single Lens Reflex) uses an internal mirror so what you see through the view finder is what you get. Other types of camera use a screen or a digital image through the view finder so you don't actually see through the lens. Serious photographers want to see through the lens. These cameras can use interchangeable lenses for different circumstances, e.g. wide angle or telephoto shots. No lens of any quality can do it all - a serious photographer needs a selection.

You need a camera that lets you fiddle about with settings too, but I won't go on about the settings.

Something like a Nikon 3100 will do as starter SLR or if a compact camera is preferred then something like a Panasonic TZ30 will do (there's probably a newer version out - I don't know). It's got plenty of adjustable settings as well as an auto one.

For me, a viewfinder is essential (digital or real view) as you can compose your pics without struggling to look at a screen in bright light and the position you hold the camera is more stable.
 Which camera? - Robin O'Reliant
Agreed 100% on the viewfinder. Those screens are virtually impossible to use in bright conditions.
 Which camera? - Fenlander
Truth is NoFm whichever way you go... advanced compact, bridge (that's what your linked camera is) or digital SLR... then you need to spend loads more to get anything decent.

Dog and I have near identical Lumix bridge type cameras.. for their type some of the best image quality and processing systems you will find. Mine about £200 used on Ebay, his due to a better viewfinder and faster lens close on £300 used.

Even a worthwhile advanced compact will be £100 or more used.

Oh yes viewfinder essential to "proper" photography in all lighting conditions... particularly in sunny parts of the world.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 25 May 14 at 19:21
 Which camera? - No FM2R
So something like this?

If so, how difficult/easy are they to learn to use?
 Which camera? - Stuartli
Agree about the DSLRs and proper viewfinders (I have a Nikon D90 and 18-105mm lens), but you can buy low cost refurbished Fuji cameras from the manufacturer (with electronic viewfinders) for reasonable prices to get started if you feel this might build up the encouragement:

shop.fujifilm.co.uk/refurbished-digital-cameras/slr-style

Fuji were one of the first film and camera manufacturers to originally grasp the impact that digital photography would bring and planned accordingly.

There are many used camera bodies and lens outlets such as:

www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/

Models from Nikon, Canon and Fuji are all worth investigation at a cost much less than new. You don't necessarily get all the latest technology, but it's a great way to learn at reasonable cost.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 25 May 14 at 19:55
 Which camera? - NortonES2
Indeed. I have a Nikon D50 which I got as a refurb a few years ago. Now sold by MPB for £70 or thereabouts. A quite robust camera with not too many modes, plus manual. One point is to check the number of shutter actuations. Some have 40,000 but you can get a little used one (4000) for much the same cash. It only has 6MP but it works very well.
 Which camera? - No FM2R
Now that Nikon D50 looks like the sort of thing I was thinking of for her first "serious" camera.

And "only" 6MP doesn't seem bad to me.

Anybody else got any comment on it?

What do the range of mm on the lens mean? Well, I realise what they mean, but I don't understand the impact. What sort of lens should she need?
 Which camera? - Dog
Fuji bridge cameras are a good buy for a beginner too, ask Zero ;)

tinyurl.com/op5r7rf (eBay)
Well yes and no... Fuji have a confusing range of model numbers often unique to a store like Argos or Currys but only the ones like Zero's and similar models were any good. Many were ultra budget in performance with cheap plastic bodies and poor image quality.
 Which camera? - Roger.
My daughter has this:-
www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/slt-a77
Bought tax free and discounted somewhat, in Germany, though!
Since then -three further lenses, tripod, lighting, etc.etc. total got to be approaching £3K
Mad, I call it!
 Which camera? - Dog
Bird I know in London spent £7k on Nikon stuff but, she is a, erm, pro.
 Which camera? - PhilW
"No 1 daughter is very into photography but uses her telephone.
Is something like this any good?"

1.Yes. It's a Nikon which will be good quality and give good results.
2. If someone has been using her phone as a camera so far there is no point in going out and spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on a "first" camera. Any of the major brands have bridge cameras for up to a couple of hundred pounds which will give brilliant results.
3. A bridge camera will enable her to learn about using auto everything (point and shoot), aperture priority, shutter priority, programme mode, macro etc, etc.
3. If, having found that she is really into photography and wants to go further, yes, splash out on a DSLR with interchangeable lenses etc. But, she may find that she prefers a small, portable camera, some of which have fantastic capabilities these days in which case splashing out on a very expensive camera to start with could be a mistake.

All IMHO of course - I'm a happy snapper who has several old Pentax ME Super and MX SLRs lying around unused nowadays and a Fuji bridge camera (great results, and it has a viewfinder!) and a Samsung (W700??) which I now mainly use because I can stick it in my pocket and take any photo from landscape to the close up of a bee I wished to identify today.
 Which camera? - Stuartli
>> ...splashing out on a very expensive camera to start with could be a mistake.>>

But that's the very point that's being made...:-)

I've still got my Ashai Pentax Spotmatic 1.8 Super Takumar (brilliant camera), plus several other twin and single lens reflex film cameras in my possession and all were great buys.
 Which camera? - Dog
>>and a Samsung (W700??) which I now mainly use because I can stick it in my pocket and take any photo from landscape to the close up of a bee I wished to identify today

I have the Samsong WB600 - great little camera, 15x optical zoom, 12 pixies, what more does one need?

www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_wb600_review/
 Which camera? - spamcan61
>>
>> All IMHO of course - I'm a happy snapper who has several old Pentax ME
>> Super and MX SLRs lying around unused nowadays and a Fuji bridge camera (great results,
>> and it has a viewfinder!) and a Samsung (W700??) which I now mainly use because
>> I can stick it in my pocket and take any photo from landscape to the
>> close up of a bee I wished to identify today.
>>
Much the same here, spent years lugging around an MZ5n and ME-F, nowadays my Panasonic TZ65 travel zoom fits in a pocket then there's the FZ20 bridge camera when needed.
 Which camera? - Roger.
Yes - my daughter is mumbling on about doing wedding snaps & family piccies for money.
On hold until her fellow comes back from Sandland.
 Which camera? - Stuartli
>>Yes - my daughter is mumbling on about doing wedding snaps & family piccies for money.>>

On that basis alone, she'll need something that looks professional - no use turning up with very similar equipment to what the guests already have...:-)

Used to do a lot of wedding and sport photography. Always use to say to wedding guests to let me arrange the proper order of wedding shots, allow me to get my requirements first and then I would give them a few minutes after each sequence in the order to do their own.

Photography was not the much more straightforward and easy pastime it is today and I reckoned that if you couldn't beat the amateurs, then you couldn't call yourself a professional photographer...:-)
 Which camera? - Manatee
What does she think she wants? Or wants to do?

If she's been reading and learning she might have a good idea.

The Nikon L310 is a superzoom. It will do everything much better than a phone camera, other than fitting in a pocket.

A long zoom will be a novelty, but it's not necessary for general use - unless by nature you mean birds and animals that have to be shot from distance, when a 3x zoom won't give you much to work with.

What the L310 won't do, is give manual control of shutter speed, aperture, sensitivity. Cameras like these are for taking pictures, not understanding the process, and they use "scene" modes, so for example "sport" will use higher sensitivity, faster shutter, biggest aperture, automatically to freeze movement. "Landscape" will use lower sensitivity, middling aperture and shutter to give best quality without too much camera shake and some depth of field - and so on.

These often work really well and TBH I use them myself on my favourite camera, a Panasonic LX3, a lot even though that camera has lots of manual controls. But using auto or scene modes won't enable her to learn how the shutter, aperture, sensitivity combine to give the right result.

If you think she's interested in the process, as well as collecting pictures, I'd find something with manual controls.

I sort of agree about viewfinders - but my LX3 doesn't have one, and most of the time it doesn't matter. Very few compact cameras do now. Your daughter will also have better eyes than us and be more accustomed to looking at a screen anyway.

I probably wouldn't go for an SLR right off the bat. It's bulky and she probably won't have it with her as often as a more compact camera (which is why my LX3 gets used a lot more than my SLRs).

goo.gl/iXX3pC (LX3). An oldie (2008) but still in demand. No viewfinder though, and a short 2.5x zoom, max 60mm equivalent.

If you have faith, and more money, I'd she'd love one of these...Fuji X10, 4x zoom, with viewfinder.

goo.gl/Fd1gkS
 Which camera? - WillDeBeest
Some of the premium compact cameras can be fitted with a viewfinder as clip-on accessory. Olympus offers one for the XZ-2, for example, although it can cost almost as much as the camera itself. Worth considering, though, as it gives the option of a camera small enough to carry in a pocket, on days when all you need is the screen.

My little Canon S100 is from that same 'premium' class but is even smaller than the Olympus. It has no finder option, which is a fair trade-off for its extreme portability. But it really is too small to be a pure photographer's camera, because too many modes and controls are hidden in layers of menu. A bigger camera can give direct access to ISO, WB, focus mode and the like with a single touch, meaning fewer missed opportunities.

Manatee's X10 recommendation (there's an X20 now) is the camera that makes me want it every time I pick one up in an airport shop. It's a little too big for most pockets but small enough for a work bag, and has a built-in optical finder and a beautifully tactile mechanical zoom action. It has a useful zoom range (the wide end is far more useful for most purposes than the long) and I just know I'd keep finding reasons to use it.

The other compact I covet is the Sony RX100, which has a big sensor for a small camera. The physical size of the sensor has far more influence on picture quality than the number of pixels. (My 2006 Pentax DSLR still produces better images with 6MP than my 10 and 12MP compacts) but it doesn't have a viewfinder and I've not used one properly to understand the controls.
I think the view a proper DSLR may be a step too far is probably valid as a first move from a phone camera. I bought a used Canon EOS DSLR last year with all the lenses, motor drive style twin battery holder, remote viewfinder etc. It was lovely kit and made me feel like a "proper" photographer but the hassle of carrying a lumpy bag of gear and nuisance of lens swapping was just too much trouble even for a lifetime keen amateur. Unless photography is the main or sole reason for being where you are there are better options these days.

I would consider an advanced compact as some have advised, one with manual modes and a viewfinder (will mean looking at a camera from at least a couple of years ago but that's no bad thing) plus a minimum of a 10x zoom.

I say a minimum of a 10x zoom assuming this will be used in the wide open spaces where the NoFM family often live. Anything less will feel so restrictive.

Personally I would try and stay in the 8mp-12mp range for best images and sensible file sizes.

I can't agree with WDB re the models that take a clip on viewfinder. I looked into these last year in my search for a quality compact but as he says the viewfinder will often cost almost as much as the camera again (even used). Also it's another bit of kit to remember to carry... and once fitted ruins the ultimate pocketability of a compact.

I do still think a viewfinder is essential to any serious attempt at photography. My compact doesn't have one and I have to accept even in bright UK sun there are times where framing a shot or following a small object like birds or aircraft is near impossible.

One thing to look out for on all digital camera is image noise in medium to low light. Read reviews of anything you think of buying and make sure this isn't an issue with your chosen model. Some otherwise decent makes are dreadful in this respect and it ruins the pleasure of using them as soon as you want to take photographs indoors at a party or family do.

Remember an older camera (perhaps up to 6yrs old) may well be better than a more modern camera as progress in many cases has just led to "impress your friends" specs but image quality and usability might actually be worse.

If I had to recommend one camera that I thought would suit the NoFM daughter as a step into taking photography more seriously it would be the camera I mentioned before that Dog uses... the Lumix FZ200 bridge type...

www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200_Digital-Camera_review_image-quality-summary-and-verdict_Page-5#tr-review-summary

Handles well, excellent zoom range backed by an effective image stabiliser, full manual/shutter/aperture priority modes, nice viewfinder, overall nice image quality, good performance in low light and a tilt/swivel screen which is brilliant in difficult shooting conditions (like at ground level or over the heads of a crowd).

As mentioned in my first post I have the smaller brother of this camera the FZ150... well it isn't smaller but lacks the constant 2.8 lens and has less pixels on the viewfinder... otherwise it's virtually identical and is the camera I've chosen to keep of the 20+ compact/bridge/DSLR cameras that have passed through my hands over the past 12mths.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 26 May 14 at 10:54
 Which camera? - Haywain
"the hassle of carrying a lumpy bag of gear and nuisance of lens swapping was just too much trouble even for a lifetime keen amateur."

I concur with Fenlander. I've owned a Nikon D80 (+ lenses) for 6 or 7 years, but now mainly use a smaller, neater Nikon Coolpix P7100. Swapping lenses on the D80, with the associated danger of dust getting onto the sensor, caused me to leave a Nikkor 80-200mm lens on all of the time.

The Coolpix P7100 has now been superseded, but reviews are very good for the Canon G series which fill the same niche.
 Which camera? - Dog
Good post Fenderlander, and I go along with what thee state, I bought the excellent Lumix G2 a couple of years ago, but after a while a yearned for a telephoto lens to go with it, looked at the price of a decent one, and swiftly part exed the G2 for the FZ200.

I actually had a look around (the internet) earlier this year to see if anything else caught my eye, but no, the Lumix is a keeper, along with my Samsong WB600 compact.

Erm, incidentally, I recently bought a Hoya pro 1 circular polarising filter for the FZ200 and, just wow!

tinyurl.com/nr2mwxo (Amazon)
 Which camera? - No FM2R
Thank you guys, very much, really valuable comments and help. Damned complicated though, much more so than I expected.

I've printed the thread out and dispatched her to read, understand and research.

We'll see what she comes back with.
 Which camera? - Bromptonaut
Eve a 12yo bridge camera can give pretty good results. This was earlier today at home with my Fuji S3000. Auto exposure and focus and about at upper edge of its optical zoom:

s809.photobucket.com/user/bromptonaut/media/DSCF0035_zps38562300.jpg.html
 Which camera? - Gromit
My brother, who was into photography since film days reckoned Canon SLRs always seemed best suited to wildlife work, Nikons to photojournalism, and Pentax (which he bought) were something of a jack of all trades.

He got frustrated with the accessories he couldn't get for his Pentax kit, and chopped it in for Canon when he went digital. He's a happier, if poorer, bunny now.
 Which camera? - Stuartli
>>My brother, who was into photography since film days reckoned Canon SLRs always seemed best suited to wildlife work, Nikons to photojournalism, and Pentax (which he bought) were something of a jack of all trades.>>

Strange logic...:-) Used all three marques and, surprisingly, all took very similar photographs in similar circumstances...:-) :-)
 Which camera? - Dog
>>s809.photobucket.com/user/bromptonaut/media/DSCF0035_zps38562300.jpg.html

Is that your son on the pushbike Brompto?
 Which camera? - Bromptonaut

>> Is that your son on the pushbike Brompto?

A Ribblehead viaduct?

S'me c1987. Still got that bike though.
 Which camera? - Dog
>>S'me c1987. Still got that bike though.

You're better looking than I had imagined, like I was 27 years ago.

;-)
Very 80s pop band member... but I can't think who at the moment.
 Which camera? - Dog
>>but I can't think who at the moment.

I can, but I'm not saying :)
 Which camera? - Ted
>> >>but I can't think who at the moment.
>>
>> I can, but I'm not saying :)

I can as well........but I can't remember her name !
>>
 Which camera? - Dog
>>I can as well........but I can't remember her name !

If I didn't know better I'd have thought you were a Limp Dem voter !
 Which camera? - Ted

>> If I didn't know better I'd have thought you were a Limp Dem voter !
>>

Nothing limp round here, me ole Dog !
 Which camera? - Dog
>>Nothing limp round here, me ole Dog !

Keep on trucking, Edward (I said trucking!)
 Which camera? - Manatee
>> I say a minimum of a 10x zoom assuming this will be used in the
>> wide open spaces where the NoFM family often live. Anything less will feel so restrictive.

I'd agree with your post in general, apart from that bit - though it's just a different point of view.

I still have a Panasonic FZ20, an early bridge/superzoom with a 12x or 430mm equivalent lens. Reasonably fast too.

I liked it, still do. Coming after an era where a 300mm+ lens on an SLR was either very slow or very expensive, it was a great novelty.

But it compromises the camera too much. The lens is great for what it does, almost miraculous - f2.8 for the full range - but shots are never truly sharp at full zoom, or full aperture, and the tiny sensor is probably responsible for the purple fringing in high contrast shots at long focal length, and high noise at ISO400 and above. If the sensor wasn't tiny, the camera would be very large and heavy, and very very expensive - a 400mm f2.8 SLR lens weighs in a 4kg and costs £000s.

I've just been looking at some pictures I took at Castle Combe last Autumn of cars on track. I used my SLR with a budget 300mm zoom and cropped from that, in preference to using the FZ20. Clearly the LX3 would have been too limiting for that, but for general use it's brilliant and the wide angle is far more useful than a long zoom.
 Which camera? - Stuartli
Agree. The term "bridge" is a good one - better than a compact in many ways but behind a true DSLR in areas involved with producing the best quality.
>>>have a Panasonic FZ20, an early bridge camera with a 12x lens. I liked it, still do... But it compromises the camera too much. The lens is great for what it does, almost miraculous - f2.8 for the full range - but shots are never truly sharp at full zoom, or full aperture, and the tiny sensor is probably responsible for the purple fringing in high contrast shots at long focal length, and high noise at ISO400 and above.

Forgive me for pointing this out Manatee but indeed as a camera from 10yrs ago the FZ20 was from the early example of bridge type cameras.

Even in its day it was known to suffer high noise in low light, focus issues at max zoom, slightly soft images and edge fringing at higher zoom settings.... as you have found.

The ability to focus at longer zoom settings, greatly improved image stabilisation, the automatic reduction of red/purple fringing within the camera processing software, reduction of noise in low light at higher ISO settings and sharpness of images all moved on massively since that camera was introduced and those faults would not be seen in the more modern FZ200 I recommended.

So the FZ20 results are not a good reason for miss NoFm to look at more modern bridge cameras.
Of course I meant to type..

So the FZ20 results are not a good reason for miss NoFm to avoid more modern bridge cameras.
 Which camera? - Manatee
Fair comment Fenlander.

Nevertheless I don't miss the 12x when using the LX3, though 100mm equiv. rather than the 60mm it has, would be welcome.

Lots of serious or famous photographers have presumably wandered around with a camera with just a 'standard lens.

I suppose if you have to choose a single compromise, it will be different for everybody.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 26 May 14 at 16:21
 Which camera? - Stuartli
>>Lots of serious or famous photographers have presumably wandered around with a camera with just a 'standard lens.>>

Not presumably, did...:-) It was the advent of the computer that allowed the design of zoom lens to - literally - zoom ahead and, in time, take a matter almost of hours rather than weeks and months.
>>>Lots of serious or famous photographers have presumably wandered around with a camera with just a 'standard lens.

As I did through the 60s and early 70s with a Weston Master III in my pocket.... and then what a godsend built in light metering was with my late 70s SLR.

If you are wandering through a village photographing houses, street scenes, people fairly close up or taking landscapes roughly how they present in reality then a very modest zoom (2x-4x) is entirely suitable.
 Which camera? - Stuartli
>>.... and then what a godsend built in light metering was with my late 70s SLR.>>

Ashai invented through the lens metering (it followed up their instant return mirror concept to the original East German Praktica models) and introduced it with the Spotmatic in 1964. I bought one after using the S1 and S2 Pentax models for several years, which had been preceded by a succession of twin lens reflex cameras such as the Ikoflex and Yashicamat.
 Which camera? - John Boy
Sorry for going off topic, but did anyone ever go to the Sangamo Weston office near to the car auction on the A10 in Enfield? I took a meter there for repair in the seventies and was left to wait in what seemed like a boardroom. It was wood panelled with uplighting from a recess behind the panels. I would guess now (didn't have a clue at the time) that the building was probably art deco in style. Was it and what happened to it? I've done net searches, but found nothing.
 Which camera? - Mapmaker
I bought myself on Fenlander's recommendation the other week a Sony HX5V from eBay, second hand. That's a serious bit of kit for a 10MP digital compact. And under £75 second hand. Zero bought one too.

You don't need a DSLR unless you're planning on blowing photos up to poster size. A DSLR is a huge step up from a camera phone. I think a compact camera is a perfectly good step in the right direction. The HX5V has lots of controls over exposure, colour balance etc.

I think a full step up to a DSLR is a very long way to go. A good compact fits into the pocket and is far more likely to be taken with you.
Looked up that Sony and while it looks decent enough for an easy p&s it's a bit short of features and control for someone looking to learn the technical side of photography. On the secondhand market there must be lots of Canon G-series compacts whose users have gone from G10 to G12 or whatever, which offer full control over aperture, shutter, ISO and compensation. They all have a viewfinder and some have a tilting screen as well, which I have on my old G-lite A640 and use all the time - more than the viewfinder, in fact.

Quite agree on the value of portability, though. A DSLR shouldn't be anyone's only camera.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 27 May 14 at 17:34
Now look what you've made me do! Wandered into DP Review and found there's a new RX100-III that ticks pretty well all my boxes: large sensor, pop-up EVF and a fast 24-70 equiv lens. Because if you have enough good pixels you'll be able to magnify the centre, but you'll never get back the edges of the building that wouldn't fit in the shot. Wide is good!

Want one. Damn!
 Which camera? - sherlock47
The G10 is very good but appears to have a design failing in that the lens auto protection 'shutter' scratches against the lens. This ultimately leads to flaring of bright subjects. A repair is expensive and is only just covered by the resale price of of a good second hand example.

So if you are after a second hand one, be very careful when buying!

photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1241555
 Which camera? - Kevin
>Looked up that Sony and while it looks decent enough for an easy p&s it's a bit short of features and control..

Correct WDB.

I have an HX9V and while it's very good for p&s it isn't suited for someone wanting full control or for post editing. There is no RAW mode and the JPEG compression is quite aggressive. Sony have ignored requests for a firmware update to address those problems.

If I was buying a camera for someone wanting to get into full creative control it would be a used Canon DSLR for one simple reason - availability of lenses. Lenses are the biggest cost now and Canon has the widest coverage by independent lens manufacturers.

There are very, very few aftermarket lenses available for my Olympus DSLR and boy do they take advantage of that.
>>>I bought myself on Fenlander's recommendation the other week a Sony HX5V from eBay,

>>>Looked up that Sony and while it looks decent enough for an easy p&s it's a bit short of features and control..

I would never advise a HX5V for anyone who showed leanings to "real" photography but I'll say again as daily use camera they take some beating. Said before but self and both daughters have them. It is my camera of choice for Ebay listings and other avenues of sale and as such its decent looking images have helped sell so many items. Use it for boating too as at £75 replacement cost used it's sort of disposable and so easy to slip in a small waterproof pouch between shots compared with larger cameras like my Lumix FZ150.
 Which camera? - Mapmaker
>>I would never advise a HX5V for anyone who showed leanings to "real" photography

Yes, but remember:

>>No 1 daughter is very into photography but uses her telephone.

£75 for a HX5V is a very sensible first step. You can control aperture and shutter speed.

What's the best camera? The one you've got with you. If No Daughter is used to slipping a mobile into the pocket of her jeans, I'm betting a round-the-neck SLR isn't going to be what she wants.

If it is... then e.g. Nikon D5200 is up-to-the-minute and seems to have been quite well received and described as beginner-friendly. A friend has one (a part of a stable of cameras) and loves it.

www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/nikon-d5200-1110231/review

And yes, I too covet an RX100 - I thought I fancied the ii, but the iii mentioned above seems to take it further into the world... might mean I can find an ebay ii...

The thing all these cameras have in common is their large sensor size, making taking photographs in low light much easier. I don't know what No Daughter wants to photograph, but I'd pretty much bet that low-light parties come into it.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 28 May 14 at 16:56
 Which camera? - No FM2R
Having carefully read and mostly understood the comments here, I think we're heading towards the S8200. It seems to fit most of the advice here, she thinks it'll work for her, and it is not too much money.

www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-S8200-16-2MP-Digital/dp/B00ATM1NAU

...which we can also get easily and reasonably cheaply here.

Unless someone wants to shoot me down or point out something I've got wrong [please do, if I have], then we'll probably go for that.

No. 1 daughter will photograph scenery and wildlife mostly I should think. Two things that seem to interest her considerably more than people do.

Thanks so much for all the thoughts and opinions.

p.s. Mapmaker - that's No. 1 daughter. There are two.
Yep agreed... perhaps I meant more that anyone with the thought they'd like to get more serious about photography would never be happy with a humble compact... even if in reality they didn't need better.

For my best camera I upgraded from film through digital compacts finally to DSLR then stepped back to a decent bridge type. For my second "daily use" camera I upgraded through digital compacts to a decent but lesser bridge type then went back to the HX5V as most suitable.
NoFM you have to start somewhere with your own choice and that Fuji looks OK. The reasons it wouldn't suit me would be no tilt/swivel screen, not the very best image quality, noisy zoom when recording video. Also the money in that camera has gone into the 40x zoom lens which even with image stabilisation will require a tripod even in bright light. Oh yes and I hate cameras with 4 AA batteries behind the same door as the SD card so they all fall out when you remove the card unless care is taken... then you have four batteries to get back in the right way round.

But none of those things make it the wrong thing for your daughter.

You would have to double the budget to make a leap to the next class and probably at this stage not the best idea until you know how she takes to it.

Which camera? - No FM2R
>>into the 40x zoom lens which even with image stabilisation will require a tripod even in bright light.

Could you tell me a bit more about this, please.
 Which camera? - Mapmaker
>> Zoom

I just looked at the spec and was coming to comment on this. In old money that's 24-960mm focal length. That's one *serious* zoom.

When you've got a long wobbly camera lens magnifying something to an enormous extent then a little bit of wobble will be magnified up into serious camera shake. Hence the need for the tripod. If No FM1R thinks she's going to be snapping wildlife at a long range like the Princess of Wales having her toes sucked, then she'll need a tripod.

Which camera? - No FM2R
I thought the toe suckee was the Duchess of York?

Right, so tripod when using zoom, but not necc. all the time? And presumably especially in low light because the shutter is open longer?

Presumably true of anything which zooms to that degree or is this one a lower performer somehow?

Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 28 May 14 at 17:47
Yes not a fault of the camera a tripod would be very desirable towards the high end of the zoom range... just a function of the magnification which is a tad overkill.

Up the thread others were saying to manage with 4x zoom or less, I thought at least 10x and my Lumix bridge camera is 24x... but 40x is really a marketing ploy which can't be supported by its performance.
 Which camera? - No FM2R
>>I'd pretty much bet that low-light parties come into it.

They better b***** not.
 Which camera? - MJM
I’ve got the Fugifilm bridge with the 30x zoom (S4800?) and I’ve been very pleased with it. If you are looking to buy online from Amazon then look for a “package deal”. I got the camera, a soft case, a pack of rechargeable batteries and charger and a 16gig card for not a lot more than just the camera. If nothing else I think a decent case is worth having.

It is very good in low light :)
Latest Forum Posts