Non-motoring > Pigeon Deterrent Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 24

Pigeon Deterrent - borasport
I need to deter pigeons from perching on top of an arch in the garden - partly because of the amount of guano they are leaving aroung, more because it is just a launching point for them to bully food off the visitors to the bird table

They used to perch on top of the bird table, but I stopped that by putting some spikes on it, on the principle of the strips of stuff now common on town centre buildings

The spikes are made from one of the old bodger's standby's, wire coathangers, and I will say they are not a thing of beauty - too much so for the arch, where, being above the skyline they would be much more prominent

So, for the arch, and possibly replacements on the bird table, I'm thinking of something similar to that actually used in town centres. but I'm trying to think what - strimmer cable was the first thing that came to mind, but a quick look round the Borg this morning shows it to be too flexible, and brightly coloured as well

Any ideas ?
 Pigeon Deterrent - smokie
Saw a bloke with a falcon or somesuch on his arm on the roof of a building in Canary Wharf last week, maybe one of those would do the trick? :-)
 Pigeon Deterrent - helicopter
12 bore shotgun.....
 Pigeon Deterrent - Robbie34
I had a severe problem with pigeons many years ago. I feed the garden birds and a couple of feral pigeons used to turn up occasionally. Unfortunately, the few eventually materialised into dozens. They used to perch on the roof and wait until I put out the seed for the birds. I had to stop feeding seed, but they used to congregate under the peanut and sunflower seeds feeders.

Eventually, I 'phoned the Council who told me that there was a particular problem with pigeons and advised me to buy an air rifle. Apparently, he had provided a lot of his staff with air rifles in order to cull the pigeons. I find it difficult to kill any creature, but eventually I bought a .22 air rifle, and over twelve months or so I dispatched over sixty of them. I still get the occasional feral pigeon, but when I appear they take flight. I think this is the only way that you will solve your problem.
 Pigeon Deterrent - Robin O'Reliant
>>I find it difficult to kill any creature, but eventually I bought a .22 air rifle, and over
>> twelve months or so I dispatched over sixty of them. I still get the occasional
>> feral pigeon, but when I appear they take flight. I think this is the only
>> way that you will solve your problem.
>>

Rats and crows are dispatched in that manner at Chez O'Reliant. Word seems to get round, particularly among the rat population and icing two or three solves the problem for a few months at a time.
 Pigeon Deterrent - Harleyman
Likewise chez HM. Crows in particular learn fast, to the extent that they scarper if I venture outside with the pop-gun, but ignore me if I'm carrying the yard-brush in a rifle-like manner.
 Pigeon Deterrent - Ted

Start shooting a weapon in your garden round here and folks will think you're out for bother ! You'd have the armed TSG round within 15 minutes.

My Airsporter stays firmly on top of the wardrobe....hidden from all. Don't know why I still keep it !
 Pigeon Deterrent - Runfer D'Hills
Nothing living gets to stay in our garden very long . Well, I say it's our garden but the dog is very proprietorial about it. He only has little legs but when he gets a turn of speed up he can convince almost anything it would be better off elsewhere.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 31 May 14 at 18:31
 Pigeon Deterrent - Fullchat
Large plastic owl visibly situated.

Early spring wood pigeons returned to the area, sitting on the roof and carping all over. I saw one had met its demise in the road outside, judging by the amount of feathers, due to a bird of prey. Little pigeon movement now. Must have scared them off :)
@fullchat
Even though this is an urban area, sparrowhawks are not uncommon round here - last saw one on the garden fence about 2 weeks ago, and most days when we are actually at home in the day, if we don't see buzzards, we hear them
What we need is somebody to build something that would provide a home for some peregrine falcons, that could solve the problem and provide some entertainment
Last edited by: borasport on Sat 31 May 14 at 18:49
 Pigeon Deterrent - Harleyman
>> Large plastic owl visibly situated.
>>

Got several of those things positioned around the feed mill where I work. They're about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Every one is covered in guano, the pigeons find them a particularly comfortable vantage point.
I've nothing against the .22 solution, indeed I could see it being quite rewarding, but it's hardly practical for a small garden in a densely populated estate, and i could see massive issues with oneof the neighbours, not least the temptation to use him as target practice
So, suggestions for a source of some semi-rigid, transparent or colourless, wire like material still required
 Pigeon Deterrent - Dulwich Estate
Plastic wire ties. They come in different colours and get them about 75mm long. You can also cut the ends to a sharp point.

I've done this along a section of gutter where they now no longer sit.
 Pigeon Deterrent - Robin O'Reliant
>> I've nothing against the .22 solution, indeed I could see it being quite rewarding, but
>> it's hardly practical for a small garden in a densely populated estate,
>>
>>
Fit a silencer and fire from the window.

I'm lucky here, nice rural area with enough firepower among the neighbours to invade Iran, so no-one worries about the odd pop from an airgun among the shotguns the farmers and clay pigeon shooters are constantly loosing off, and a local field hosts the local archery club every Sunday.

Seriously though, have you thought about a decent hunting catapult? Deadly from a reasonable range and silent enough not to disturb the professional complainers.
 Pigeon Deterrent - henry k
>> So, suggestions for a source of some semi-rigid, transparent or colourless, wire like material still required
>>
Google pigeon deterrent strips shows lots of plastic spike strips.
Even a youtube suggestion.
Based on the video clip you could make own strips from the rectangles of rigid mesh that come in various sizes. lots of cutting thought.
 Pigeon Deterrent - Roger.
Spring is here, a-suh-puh-ring is here.
Life is skittles and life is beer.
I think the loveliest time of the year is the spring.
I do, don't you? 'Course you do.
But there's one thing that makes spring complete for me,
And makes ev'ry Sunday a treat for me.

All the world seems in tune
On a spring afternoon,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Ev'ry Sunday you'll see
My sweetheart and me,
As we poison the pigeons in the park.

When they see us coming, the birdies all try an' hide,
But they still go for peanuts when coated with cyanide.
The sun's shining bright,
Ev'rything seems all right,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.

Lalaalaalalaladoodiedieedoodoodoo

We've gained notoriety,
And caused much anxiety
In the Audubon Society
With our games.
They call it impiety,
And lack of propriety,
And quite a variety
Of unpleasant names.
But it's not against any religion
To want to dispose of a pigeon.

So if Sunday you're free,
Why don't you come with me,
And we'll poison the pigeons in the park.
And maybe we'll do
In a squirrel or two,
While we're poisoning pigeons in the park.

We'll murder them{ all }amid laughter and merriment.
Except for the few we take home to experiment.
My pulse will be quickenin'
With each drop of strychnine
We feed to a pigeon.
It just takes a smidgen!
To poison a pigeon in the park.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yhuMLpdnOjY#t=0
 Pigeon Deterrent - devonite
I have found that the "Allotment-visiting" Pigeons didn't like it when I put those strips of wooden carpet grippers on their favorite landing perches!
 Pigeon Deterrent - CGNorwich
Deter the pigeons ? Simple: stop feeding them. If you are putting sees out on you bird table you will inevitably attract pigeons. If they can' t perch on your arch they will sit on the fence or in next door's garden.

I get a lot of wood pigeons and collared doves as well as some feral pigeons and lots of other species from gold finches to woodpeckers, from jays to robins. They are all birds and all worth observing. When you start appreciating their qualities rather than seeing them as the enemy your viewpoint will change. Just watch a pigeon in flight! Here is a bird that can usually outfly a peregrine falcon by its manoeuvrability. Amazing!
 Pigeon Deterrent - smokie
Here you go, on special offer too!!

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_171010960499_-1?CMP=AFC-ANET-385281
 Pigeon Deterrent - No FM2R
or you could try one of these..... (you may have to redo the pointing on the arch afterwards).

cannonsuperstore.com/black_powder_cannons.htm
 Pigeon Deterrent - Pat
Well said CG, very much like our garden and I'd rather the pigeons clear the seed from under the feeders than attract rats to do the job.

Pat
 Pigeon Deterrent - No FM2R
>>Any ideas ?

You know those long, clear plastic stirrers one sometimes gets in a cocktail? Wouldn't a load of them stuck into glue or other gunk do the trick?
 Pigeon Deterrent - Westpig
Similar problem here...but with magpies and similar. Quick look on the internet ...and...

....a solution that worked perfectly was hanging three CD's by a piece of string, so they'd blow about in the wind.

Worked superbly. We had a bird table absolutely full of food for a couple of days ....because not one bird of any species was willing to land on it.

So back to the drawing board.
 Grandfather, you shouldn't kick nature - Armel Coussine
This may amuse Pat.

Last night a frightful little tart of a cat, less than a year old and already the mother of four silly little black kittens, belonging to some of our descendants who have been staying, brought into the front hall a mortally wounded young rat, squeaking and thrashing in its agony but evidently a goner.

I tried to pick it up but it still had a lot of energy and struggled. I didn't want to be bitten by it (wimpish I know) so opened the front door and gave it a colossal kick, then booted it over the doorstep leaving a splash of blood on the floor and kicked it into the hedge opposite. Once it was dead the cats showed no further interest and it's still there as far as I know.

None of the nippers seemed to mind much, but my youngest descendant Ab, just six, said reprovingly: 'Grandfather, you shouldn't kick nature.' She's an adorable child.

They've all gone home now and left us in peace. In a few days I will start to miss them. Herself misses them already.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 1 Jun 14 at 19:21
 Grandfather, you shouldn't kick nature - Pat
>>'Grandfather, you shouldn't kick nature.' She's an adorable child.
<<

...and has been brought up to love and respect nature too!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts