Non-motoring > Ebay Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 29

Ebay - Robin O'Reliant
Anyone sold on ebay lately?

Put my bike on there this afternoon and when I tried to list it I instead got a phone number to ring with a long security code to quote. On phoning I had to confirm my identity before they rung me back on the mobile number I have listed with them before they'd accept my ad. The whole process took over twenty minutes with the bulk of that listening to How Important My Call Was To Them before I got through.

Apparently this applies to everyone's initial sale since the recent security breach. It must be costing them as I was on the point of giving up and going to Bike Trader instead.
 Ebay - Slidingpillar
Well that guarantees I'll never use the account again! Don't do speech or hearing cos I'm deaf and have nerve damage.
 Ebay - Westpig
Deep joy ...I have to put one on tomorrow. I'll report back.
 Ebay - Fenlander
Not trying to be clever but...

Five items listed post password fiasco... went straight on as normal with no need to phone. Six items sold with no issues.... one of those bought locally for £4 the previous week made £277... got to love Ebay for its unique huge marketplace.
 Ebay - Ted

Robin O's post last night inspired me to have another crack at selling my kit of parts which make up into a BSA Bantam.

Didn't bother with Fleabay...Went straight onto Gumtree and opted for a 100 mile catchment area. Got a text at 0015 hrs asking if I still had the bike. Thought I'd answer it when I got up but the phone rang as I was putting me socks on and it was the same guy offering me full asking price. He was re-building one and had some parts missing.

Deal done and he's coming from Burnley on Tuesday. Had a lot of success with Gumtree, usually selling within a few hours of posting. I had a few more calls this morning so I've kept their numbers...just in case.
 Ebay - No FM2R
I bet the bloke can't believe his luck. I remember the joy of finding "difficult to get" bits.
 Ebay - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Apparently this applies to everyone's initial sale since the recent security breach.

You mean everyone who's first ever sale is after the security breach, or everyone's first sale after the security breach even if they have already made previous sales?

Ebay - Robin O'Reliant

>> You mean everyone who's first ever sale is after the security breach, or everyone's first
>> sale after the security breach even if they have already made previous sales?
>>
>>
>>
I've made previous sales. Perhaps it's on items over a certain value?
 Ebay - Cliff Pope

>> >>
>> I've made previous sales. Perhaps it's on items over a certain value?
>>

So have I. I listed something last night with a reserve of £80 and it worked as usual.

(Pony cart, if you are interested :) )
 Ebay - Stuartli
Changing the subject slightly - there are some eBay phishing e-mails suddenly appearing again at the moment so beware!

If you get one, good idea to Forward it to:

spoof@ebay.co.uk

and then Delete the original.
 Ebay - Crankcase
I'd be very suspicious of a pony cart on eBay. I'd think it might be a trap.
 Ebay - Armel Coussine
>> I'd be very suspicious of a pony cart on eBay. I'd think it might be a trap.

There are some people near here, perhaps gypsies but I wouldn't know, who have a scruffy, non-super-lightweight two-passenger trotting sulky with a scruffy hairy little pony to match.

They were causing a traffic queue in front of me yesterday, but when I saw who they were I didn't mind so much for some unknown reason. Getting old I think. When the time came they didn't mind being politely overtaken and were rattling along at a brisk clip.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 2 Jun 14 at 16:25
 Ebay - Ted

We have two or three horses in the field at the bottom of the garden between us and the trams.
The owners live on a local estate and often can be seen out trotting.

Just a board to sit on with 2 wheels and the shafts........doesn't look comfy. Any other horses past here belong to the police stables not far away. The distance from the stable gates to our house seems to be the optimum distance for a horse to be able to keep it's bowels closed ! Good for me roses . ( I don't put it on me rhubarb though......I prefer custard ! )
 Ebay - Cliff Pope
!
 Ebay - Cliff Pope
>> I'd be very suspicious of a pony cart on eBay. I'd think it might be
>> a trap.
>>

!
 Ebay - Crankcase
Oh well. I thought it a bearable joke. Perhaps I'm at the wrong gig.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 2 Jun 14 at 20:53
 Ebay - Armel Coussine
>> Perhaps I'm at the wrong gig.

Oh come on Crankshaft... it wasn't bad and I bet others got it as well as me. But we don't always applaud, do we? It's a while since I stopped minding when my brilliant sallies were apparently ignored.

By the way: my trotting sulky had a backrest to the seat and maybe even a battered cushion. The passengers were a scruffy bloke, driving, and two or three urchins of different sizes.
 Ebay - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Oh come on Crankshaft... it wasn't bad and I bet others got it as well
>> as me. But we don't always applaud, do we? It's a while since I stopped
>> minding when my brilliant sallies were apparently ignored.
>>

I tried to show appreciation, but the ! came after the wrong post. So I cancelled that and quoted Crank's post to make it clear.

I've now learned that "Cancel" when editing doesn't cancel the post, it merely cancels the last bit you tried to type.
 Ebay - madf
>> Oh well. I thought it a bearable joke. Perhaps I'm at the wrong gig.
>>

Try bridling your enthusiasm for equine jokes..
 Ebay - Crankcase
S'ok, as a result of this sally I've discovered the existence of the device known as a peirameter, so that cheered my day up. Always like to learn a little something before bed.

Ebay - sherlock47
Cc thankyou for the inspiration. I now know what a prony brake is......

thread drifter, moi?

if your typing is not too good, I suppose a pony bake could whet the appetite. WTF am am I on about :) I need more sleep.
 Ebay - Crankcase

>> I suppose a pony bake could whet the
>> appetite.

You been shopping at Tesco again?
 Ebay - sherlock47

You been shopping at Tesco again?

No Tescos here, Carrefour as a substitute, but close enough to the Spanish border for donkey sausage to be on the menu.
 Ebay - Crankcase
That's one of those products that is either literal - in which case, dear God - or a euphemism - in which case, dear God.

Ebay - Stuartli
Made me laugh - just my sense of humour...:-)
 Ebay - legacylad
I thought it very funny. Makes a change from my usual guffawing at smut.
 Ebay - Roger.
I believe the French do eat donkey, though!
Many, many, years ago in a fit of bravado I drove my Hillman Hunter on La Bastide Blanche, a nice little sandy beach not too far from St. Tropez. Unfortunately it was not only sandy, but VERY soft sand, so yours truly & a fairly new SWMBO were soon stuck halfway up the back axle of the car in the stuff.
A friendly local chanced along and helped us to extract the car. Afterwards we had a chat with him and shared a drop of pastis. Our French was rudimentary but we got along and the talk drifted to this and that.
He told us that he liked to eat l'�ne. "Eh? qu'est-ce que ?".
Descriptions followed with mutual incomprehension until the chap put his hands on his head like a pair of ears and uttered "hee-Haw, hee-haw".
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 24 Mar 15 at 10:14
 Ebay - Runfer D'Hills
Mule et frites?
 Ebay - Ted

Caravanning in Benodet-sur-Mere, I inadvertently bought a wrapped donkey sausage. It didn't get eaten on the trip but was still in the fridge when we got home.

I unwrapped it and saw a big lump of skin covered in rough hairs. I offered it to the canine waste-disposal, our Springer..........but she took a rain-check and slunk off to hide !
 Ebay - Armel Coussine
>> but she took a rain-check and slunk off to hide !

Yes, it's surprising how those continentals manage to be so fit and cheerful on a diet of unspeakable filth...

I have to admit though Horatio that I am put off by visible hair of fur in processed meat. Far better when it's all reduced to pinkish spongy slurry with a bit of gelatine in it and called frankfurters or something like that. What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't heave at the thought of.

I don't suppose donkey steaks are much different from horse ones, and one is often fed those in Europe.
Latest Forum Posts