Non-motoring > Pressurised container & Jeyes Fluid Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 8

Pressurised container & Jeyes Fluid - legacylad
A neighbour has kindly just returned a 5l Pressure sprayer I lent her last summer. Oops, I had forgotten, as had she. Over winter if was left filled with a diluted solution of Jeyes fluid, which settled, and has left a deposit on the base which I cannot remove using hot soapy water. Before I try something more aggressive, does anyone have any suggestions please?
The container will be used primarily for selective weed killing, such as Verdone, so a Jeyes residue might not be advantageous.
Thanks, as always
 Pressurised container & Jeyes Fluid - sherlock47

Jeyes Fluid contains amongst other ingredients:, 5-15% Soap, Disinfectants, Conatins Tar Acids&4-chloro-m-cresol

Resolva Lawn Weedkiller concentrate
Contains 2.4-D, MCPA, mecoprop-P and dicamba

Probably everything you need to manufacture WMDs for use in Syria.

What will happen when you mix them is anybodies guess :)
 Pressurised container & Jeyes Fluid - Bromptonaut
We've had good results with home brew cleaner/sterilisers such as Bruclens. Let it soak well with warm solution then rinse out with cold.

If you cannot shift the Jeyes stain with water + long soak I'd suggest it's probably not going to be leached off into the Verdone.
 Pressurised container & Jeyes Fluid - Stuartli
I put a Jeyes Fluid solution on the flagged areas of my property using a watering can not only to remove the algae that builds up and can otherwise prove slippy when wet, but also because it kills weeds and other non-desired growths between the flagstones. So it's highly unlikely to affect your use of Verdone in the pressure sprayer..:-)

Incidentally, I've found that my original use of such sprayers to rid roses etc of greenfly was nullfied by the fact you can't buy the necessary products any more, other than in small spray bottles which prove hugely wasteful, as well as expensive.
 Pressurised container & Jeyes Fluid - Bromptonaut
>>
>> So it's highly unlikely to affect your use of Verdone in the pressure sprayer..:-)

Verdone is (IIRC) a selective weedkiller effective against lawn weeds such as clover or dandelion without affecting grass. LL's concern was presumably that Jeyes would kill grass too.
 Pressurised container & Jeyes Fluid - Gromit
Your best chance of removing the Jeyes residue is to add about a kettle of hot water, agitate well, and repeat.

The small amount of Jeyes fluid needed to leave that patch on the bottom of the sprayer is little enough that it should have no significant effect if it dissolves into 5 litres of spraying mixture - chances are it will take several fills of the sprayer to dissolve it all anyway.
 Pressurised container & Jeyes Fluid - Stuartli
>>LL's concern was presumably that Jeyes would kill grass too. >>

I got the impression that it had left a mark that couldn't be removed with hot fluids so it's unlikely that it would, I thought, have any effect on the use of Verdone.
 Pressurised container & Jeyes Fluid - tyrednemotional
About the only thing I ever had success with in controlling creeping speedwell in my lawns was a good dose of Tar Oil Winter Wash.

It used to brown the lawns a bit before they recovered, but it was very effective against the Veronica.

Unfortunately, Tar Oils/Tar Acids have now been completely withdrawn as pesticides and weedkilllers, but AFAIK this is the major active ingredient of Jeyes Fluid (which is still allowed to be sold as a disinfectant).

I doubt very much that the level of "contamination" in your container will have any deleterious effects on a lawn, and indeed, it might just be the opposite!
 Pressurised container & Jeyes Fluid - Haywain
My 27 years in the agrochemical industry would tell me to just give the sprayer a rinse out and get on with the job. The Jeyes Fluid was diluted in the first place, so with further dilution, it shouldn't be a problem.

However, make sure that you give the sprayer a really good rinse out after using a hormone-based weedkiller as broad-leaved plants can be exceptionally sensitive. Because of this, I use a separate sprayer for fungicides/insecticides from the one I use for herbicides.
Latest Forum Posts