Non-motoring > Greenpeace. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 34

Greenpeace. - Roger.
www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/06/19/CO2-is-good-for-us-climate-change-is-bunk-greens-are-raging-extremists-says-Greenpeace-co-founder
 Greenpeace. - Bromptonaut
Former Greenpeace leader Patrick Moore is well known as having sold out to corporatism. Makes his living as a consultant to multi-nationals including those involved in tropical forest logging.
 Greenpeace. - Roger.
Ah - I wasn't aware.
Personally, I think that deforestation is a bigger danger than all this CO2 emission spheroids.
Forests are the lungs of the world.
 Greenpeace. - WillDeBeest
Yes, because they remove CO2 from the atmosphere!
 Greenpeace. - Bromptonaut
>> Ah - I wasn't aware.
>> Personally, I think that deforestation is a bigger danger than all this CO2 emission spheroids.

The vast majority of proper peer reviewed science supports theory of man made climate change. While having a general effect of warming CC can affect ocean currents and the typical movement of air masses so the effect is not universal.
 Greenpeace. - CGNorwich
Climate change is caused by winter tyres.
 Greenpeace. - Kevin
>Climate change is caused by winter tyres.

No, it's caused by people trying to steal your credit card details and personal information.

Millions of servers in data centers around the world use OpenSSL for authentication and encryption of network traffic to keep the bad boys at bay. OpenSSL adds CPU overhead and therefore reduces server efficiency (it can be 10% or more in some cases). Reduced efficiency means more servers are needed to maintain performance levels. More servers means more power. More power means more cooling. More power and cooling means more CO2.

Ergo, it's the black-hat hackers that cause climate change.

;-)
 Greenpeace. - Westpig
>> Former Greenpeace leader Patrick Moore is well known as having sold out to corporatism. Makes
>> his living as a consultant to multi-nationals including those involved in tropical forest logging.
>>
Is it possible he co founded something at a time when he believed in that ...then became disillusioned with what he saw ..then went down another path?

Greenpeace. - Haywain
"Is it possible he co founded something at a time when he believed in that ...then became disillusioned with what he saw ..then went down another path?"

A bit like me an' politics. Except that I didn't exactly co-found anything.
 Greenpeace. - Westpig
>> "Is it possible he co founded something at a time when he believed in that
>> ...then became disillusioned with what he saw ..then went down another path?"
>>
>> A bit like me an' politics. Except that I didn't exactly co-found anything.
>>

Exactly my point. He might have seen the light and changed his mind... yet to the people he left behind he 'sold out' ... that'll be their way of justifying it.
 Greenpeace. - Manatee
I think "sold out" is more likely to apply when you get paid a lot for whatever you have defected to.

I don't know what alternative principle drives anybody to clear rainforest apart from money, unless you are a subsistence farmer in need of land which seems unlikely in his case.

Only based on comments in the thread, I've never heard of him.
 Greenpeace. - No FM2R
>>I don't know what alternative principle drives anybody to clear rainforest apart from money,

Oh its money alright. At a corporate and individual level.

The actual pulp and paper companies in the Amazon are largely not particularly guilty of this particular offence - although they're guilty of most others especially pollution. Typically they replant eucalyptus and then harvest that repeatedly.

Mostly its companies after the wood for applications such as furniture that do the most damage of all the ones after materials.

Further north its farming and ranching, both by large and small concerns. The land isn't all that good quality so it doesn't last long, thus even more forest are burnt down and the cattle moved to that land.

If one flies over The Amazon regularly, and I used to do so in small aeroplanes and thus quite close to the ground, it is enough to make you quite literally weep as the forest is destroyed and left looking like moonscape for mile upon mile upon mile.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 19 Jun 14 at 22:35
 Greenpeace. - Lygonos
>>If one flies over The Amazon regularly, and I used to do so in small aeroplanes and thus quite close to the ground, it is enough to make you quite literally weep as the forest is destroyed and left looking like moonscape for mile upon mile upon mile.

Such as Rondonia in SW Brazil - about twice the size of England, and from this map perhaps >50% 'excavated' of rainforest.

www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Amazon+Rainforest/@-10.8554068,-63.1298,571088m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x926c0fff66ee856b:0xfd216832c242fda0
 Greenpeace. - Armel Coussine
Needless to say the same thing has happened over large areas of central Africa.

Someone has described rainforest as 'desert with trees'. Once the trees have gone the land won't produce more than a couple of harvests.

Crop rotation might help, but it's thought easier and more profitable to fell some more hardwood, make crap office furniture out of it and plant sorghum or whatever on the ruins. 'Plenty more where that came from. The world is infinite!' Etc.
 Greenpeace. - Cliff Pope
>
>>
>> Only based on comments in the thread, I've never heard of him.
>>

Too much star-gazing breaks down the ozone layer.
Herself and two other responsible adults went to a public meeting organised by the council I suppose, with representation from central govt and from the firms involved in fracking in these parts. I should have gone but had stuff to do so didn't.

They said it was boring and not very conclusive. I remain provisionally pro-fracking. When some is actually being done it will become clear what the side effects are.
 Greenpeace. - Roger.
tinyurl.com/k4e23wt

There you go, AC.
 Greenpeace. - PhilW
notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/fracking-in-lancashire/

More pictures here, and an interesting discussion below if you can be bothered!
I'm also provisionally pro fracking.
All that stuff about water sources being contaminated with gas seems to have been "made up"?
I also remember fears about drilling for gas and oil in North Yorkshire, where I grew up and for a time there were huge flares on the moors/forests where they first drilled. Also some unsightly "oil rigs" off the coast and fears that they would kill off the fishing industry. After a while, no evidence of the gas wells (hidden in forest? no longer there?) and the EU killed off the fishing industry!!
I now live in a village in Leics that has a huge gypsum mine. Lots of fears 20 (?) years ago that all our houses would disappear into huge holes in the ground. Nothing has happened except that local primary school's football pitch got a huge hole in it and one OAP home had a slight collapse! Later shown that this was due to 19th century lime pits - unmapped - that had collapsed.
Considering that trucks arrive at the gypsum mines every few minutes 24/7 (not through village) there must be a bloomin' great hole deep underground somewhere.
Wonder if that's why my garden drains so well!!
Drove through Scottish Southern Uplands the other day - lovely countryside but most hilltops ruined because they had those damned wind turbine things on them - the mystery and remoteness of John Buchan's 39 Steps country "destroyed" (??)
All IMHO of course - feel free to disagree!
 Greenpeace. - madf
Don't do as I do, do as I say..

tinyurl.com/olhhpjn

Greenpeace executive flies 250 miles to work
Environmental group campaigns to curb growth in air travel but defends senior executive commuting 250 miles to work by plane

Only gullible muppets will be surprised at the above
 Greenpeace. - PhilW
madf,
He's not the only one.
Prince Charles gave a lecture the other day about needing "a fundamental change in global capitalism" and is always banging on about how we need to curb our emissions of "carbon" (does he mean carbon dioxide?) in order to save the world.
The next day he flew to (one of) his Romanian houses by private jet!!
And don't get me started on Al Gore who promises us that sea levels will rise catastrophically in next few years and promptly buys a Malibu seafront house!!
Why do all these "warmists" tell us to cut down on Co2 emissions and then hold a conference in some far flung place (Bali???) to lecture us on it?
By the way, I think that CO2 in my lungs gives me my breathing response - WITHOUT CO2 I would stop breathing - and my lovely tomatoes in the greenhouse and those cracking climbing French beans in the garden, let alone the best crop of strawberries and raspberries for years would die......
Keep driving your 4x4s, keep breathing! I love CO2! (And bees!!)
AIMHO of course!!
P
 Greenpeace. - PhilW
Even more here madf (Yes, even The Guardian!!)
www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/23/greenpeace-losses-financial-disarray
quote:-
"Pascal Husting, Greenpeace International’s international programme director, works in Amsterdam but flies between the city’s offices and his home in Luxembourg several times a month.
Naidoo defended the arrangement, saying: “Pascal has a young family in Luxembourg. When he was offered the new role, he couldn’t move his family to Amsterdam straight away. He’d be the first to say he hates the commute, hates having to fly, but right now he hasn’t got much of an option until he can move. He wishes there was an express train between his home and his office, but it would currently be a 12-hour round trip by train.”

Yep, well, when I accepted a new job many years ago we had to move house about the same distance (bit shorter) and we had a son aged 18 months and a daughter aged 2 months. We moved.
But then, nobody would pay for me to commute.
Must admit that I now never give money to these huge multi-national "charities" with executives paid massive salaries (Greenpeace, WWF etc). Just give to local charities where workers are volunteers (local hospice, hospice for kids , local MS society etc - ) and as for asking me to sign up for a monthly direct debit in the street ........ no thanks.
Used to contribute on a regular basis to Oxfam, Catholic thing for famine relief (CAFOD?) and various others but many seem to be political lobbying organisations these days.
Oops, sorry,
too long, too bigoted,
but I mean well!!
P
 Greenpeace. - Ted

I'm with this ^giza^ !
 Greenpeace. - No FM2R
>>Must admit that I now never give money to these huge multi-national "charities" with executives paid massive salaries

I entirely agree.
 Greenpeace. - Mapmaker
>>Must admit that I now never give money to these huge multi-national "charities" with executives paid massive salaries

> I entirely agree

I bet you never gave money to Greenpeace, Mark...

Greenpeace. - No FM2R
I once declared myself a fervent supporter of Greenpeace to impress a girl. It didn't work.

But you're right, I wouldn't give them money.
 Greenpeace. - Runfer D'Hills
Girls who support Greenpeace tend to like er, um, girls as I recall....Little round glasses and combat jackets, cargo pants and DMs...

Might be wrong of course. Might be selective perception. Dunno.
 Greenpeace. - No FM2R
>>Girls who support Greenpeace tend to like er, um, girls as I recall

That must be it. I couldn't think how she was managing to resist my 19yr old charm and sophistication but that explains it.
 Greenpeace. - PhilW
"I couldn't think how she was managing to resist my 19yr old charm and sophistication"

I met a lot of girls like that - most who were definitely not more interested in other girls!
Hairy legs too.
 Greenpeace. - No FM2R
and armpits.
Always a clue that. Unless they were German.
 Greenpeace. - Ted

Hairy legs or shaven...not bothered. Prefer something in between, though !
 Greenpeace. - PhilW
"Hairy legs or shaven...not bothered. Prefer something in between, though !"

In between the hairy and shaven or between the hairy or shaven le.......
No, better not go there.
>> Little round glasses and combat jackets, cargo pants and DMs... unshaven legs and armpits...

Apart from the lesbianism Humph you might easily be describing my youngest daughter, now in her thirties. She was into hard-edged anti-nuclear though, persecuting Old Navy at Faslane and drinking with his mates in pubs in the evening. But it's all grist to her mill, even the fracking scheiss. She's an adorable girl though and I won't hear a word against her.

I have to say herself bungs Greenpeace in some minor way. I see the begging letters lying around and scowl at them. Chicks are so naive. They believe all that stuff because it sounds benevolent.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 24 Jun 14 at 19:24
 Greenpeace. - Roger.
www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/10958058/Shale-could-meet-41pc-of-UKs-gas-needs-says-National-Grid.html

Latest Forum Posts