Non-motoring > Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 23

Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - smokie
www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2663090/Jack-Dees-threat-quit-Radio-4s-Im-Sorry-I-Havent-A-Clue.html

There are plenty of comedians whose style or material I don't like. Therefore I just don't listen to them.

What is it with people today that they have to always find something to complain about?

I know that in itself is a complaint but it strikes me as really pathetic that because people can't understand or don't like the humour themselves, it is therefore thought not fit for anyone else. It'd be a great shame if ISIHAC was dumbed down.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Armel Coussine
I think Jack Dee is funny. It's the way he tells them. He doesn't have Humphrey Lyttelton's laid-back fifties class though, not being a qualified gent Like Lyttelton. The whole Lovely Samantha thing was brilliant since one never saw her.

As for sexual innuendos, Dee isn't among the worst offenders. QIXL often gets on my nerves with extremely crude coprophiliac, menstruation, homosexual and general physiological quips, obviously scripted, smugly delivered and unsuitable for the ears of the innocent children up too late and watching the fun. There's another quiz show that does much the same stuff. No wonder Islamist zealots want to ban TV along with music, dancing and gym for girls. They're right in a way.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Cliff Pope
>> . The whole
>> Lovely Samantha thing was brilliant since one never saw her.
>>

Similar to Mycroft, the expert supposedly consuted by Robert Robinson.

Humph had some lovely anecdotes about Samantha "entertaining her new gentleman friend".

Motoring footnote: Humphrey Littleton never changed his old Volvo 240, clocking up over 300,000 miles, driving into London for the weekly programme until he finally retired.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Manatee
Are you sure about the 240? I thought he got a new one about 10 years ago. He certainly did have a Volvo that had been round the clock at one time.

The complaint can't be about the rudeness, that's the whole point of a double entendre.

It was about the supposed demeaning of women.

Given that the joke is that Samantha is imaginary, somebody has lost the plot.

Jack's links can't be any worse than Humph's, though I think they are all written by Iain Pattinson anyway.

I particularly liked the revelation by Humph, during a recording there, that Nottingham was once called Snottingham, and its people were known as Snotts.

Some time ago the S was dropped.

For some reason unknown, the residents of Scunthorpe decided not to follow suit.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - WillDeBeest
Apparently Lionel Blair isn't keen on the stories about him. But I do. One of Jack's was that he is a keen palaeoanthropologist, and that occasionally he let his enthusiasm get the better of him. Attending a lecture at the Natural History Museum he was caught taking a Homo erectus through the tradesmen's entrance.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Manatee
>>that [Lionel Blair] is a keen palaeoanthropologist, and that occasionally he let his enthusiasm
>> get the better of him. Attending a lecture at the Natural History Museum he was
>> caught taking a Homo erectus through the tradesmen's entrance.

and that, lady and gentlemen, is a classic of the genre. How could anyone object to that, except possibly Lionel Blair, who is probably glad of the publicity.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Roger.
Lionel Blair was on the daytime quiz show, last week - Pointless - and he looked really ancient and somehow withered.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - No FM2R
I remember him a billion years ago on Give Us a Clue with Michael Aspel, he looked ancient and withered then!
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Roger.
I remember him in his prime - but I suppose I was in MY prime then - now ancient history.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Focusless
>> It was about the supposed demeaning of women.
>>
>> Given that the joke is that Samantha is imaginary, somebody has lost the plot.

BBC investigates after concern imaginary character was victim of sexism

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11266311/BBC-investigates-after-concern-imaginary-character-was-victim-of-sexism.html
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Bromptonaut
Mentioned on the Radio 4 news at 18:00 last night. Message seemed to be that complaints were not upheld and segment illustrated with a couple of clips. Cannot remember exact wording but one was a birthday candles/blowing out joke and the other involved men friends, horror films and being given the willies.

If nothing else it was a good trailer for the ISIHAK episode that followed.

The complainant though may have felt the beeb was cocking a snook at her.

Dee is one of the very few people to follow a deceased performer without losing the essence of the act.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - CGNorwich
I've listened to this show for years and Dee does a good job but my impression is that its all getting a little bit tired. Perhaps its time to let it go. Let's hear some new talent. The BBC does tend to hold on to to a lot of artists and presenters well past their sell-by date.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Bromptonaut
After an excellent performance of 'One Song to the Tune of Another' Jack Dee pointed out that Barry Cryer will shortly be 80.

You wouldn't know it.
>>my impression is that its all getting a little bit tired.

I agree. After many fantastic years it is all becoming a little too contrived and predictable.

However, I guess for as long as it is attracting audiences and not displacing something else that might attract more, it will continue.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Harleyman

>> However, I guess for as long as it is attracting audiences and not displacing something
>> else that might attract more, it will continue.
>>

Given the rather dire fare that's presented as an alternative, it's to be hoped that Clue continues for a while yet.

Maybe it's us that are getting a little bit tired?
>>Maybe it's us that are getting a little bit tired?

That may be a possibility, its just one that I prefer not to consider.
 More Samantha Dialogue - Bromptonaut
From another forum:

I nearly crashed my car when Humph described what Samantha's gentleman friend had cooked for her. Last week it was his beef in ale, but this week it was his tongue in cider.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 13:15
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - WillDeBeest
Mycroft was Ian Gillies, who won 'Brian' some time in the 60s and then came on board as consultant, question setter and, as we almost used to hear, referee.

After he died in 2002, he was replaced by serial quiz contestant Kevin Clarke. Robinson called him Jorkins. No idea what that derived from.

Samantha wasn't there the time I went to the Paris to see Clue recorded. We had Sven instead, oiled up and looking magnificent.
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - helicopter
Jorkins is taken from Dickens David Copperfield .

The explanation below is taken from Google....

Mr. Jorkins is the business partner of David's employer, Mr. Spenlow. He exists mostly as a boogeyman for Mr. Spenlow to refer to whenever an employee asks Mr. Spenlow a favour. When David asks to be released early from his apprenticeship (because he needs the money his aunt paid so that he can support Miss Betsey now that she has gone broke), Mr. Spenlow says that he would consider it, but Mr. Jorkins would never allow it....
Last edited by: helicopter on Sat 21 Jun 14 at 13:44
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - wokingham
I like the other possible meaning of words segment. I loved Warbling = Jewellery worn to a battle!
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - commerdriver
The one I liked was Miniscule - a Liverpool kindergarten (I know it should be Minuscule)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=285DD7QECzY

(Note: I wouldn't play it very loud if you're in the office).
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 13:38
This one is quite good...

www.youtube.com/watch?list=RD285DD7QECzY&v=UwMdXPtPSd4

Recorded from the Lyric Theatre, Lowry Centre, Salford on Sunday 6th April 2008
 Jack Dee might leave I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Ted
Countryside............the killing of Piers Morgan.....I like that.

Samantha has bought a little dog.........it loves seeing her with a bone in her hand and pants round her ankles !
Last edited by: Ted on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 14:51
Latest Forum Posts