Non-motoring > Killing off ivy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 10

Killing off ivy - legacylad
A pal of mine has 40 sq metres of ground cover ivy. Any suggestions please as to the easiest way to get rid? Roundup? SBK brushwood killer? No access for small mechanised machinery either.
 Killing off ivy - PhilW
www.roundup-garden.com/roundup-gel

This is the only stuff I have found to have any effect on Ivy - after repeated applications.
Trouble with spray is that it kills anything it touches and difficult to apply accurately - this you can apply to individual leaves so surrounding stuff isn't killed.
PS I am assuming that ground ivy is similar to other ivy!
P
 Killing off ivy - Dulwich Estate
SBK seems to be the only product that has half a chance of killing our ivy. But, in our experience, it works best on cut ivy so it can get into the stems themselves. It doesn't do a lot when sprayed on to the leaves.

SBK doesn't kill the grass.
 Killing off ivy - Roger.
Flamethrower?
 Killing off ivy - madf
Take a pair of sharp secateurs and cut off the stems close to the ground.
Remove stems.

Apply one coat of Pathclear - which will kill everything green.

Wait until fresh ivy appears. Pathclear again...
 Killing off ivy - Roger.
I know - Agent Orange :-)
 Killing off ivy - Robin O'Reliant
Anyone else read the thread title and think "Ivy" might be Mrs legacylad?
 Killing off ivy - Haywain
Sorry, only just had time to have a good look at this.

Do you mean 'Common Ivy' rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=192 that is growing on the ground; or do you mean 'Ground Ivy' - a completely different species turf.msu.edu/ground-ivy-control-for-home-lawns

You also need to know whether or not it is intended to grow anything on the area afterwards. Pathclear and certain other products have a residual action and should not be used if anything is to be planted subsequent to treatment. 'Glyphosate' based products, when used at the correct rate, only act on what is green at the time of spraying (i.e. it is translocated) and doesn't leave a significant residue in the soil.

I killed Common Ivy by cutting the main growth and then treating the regrowth. New leaves are not so waxy and it is easier for the chemical to penetrate. In your situation, you may want to strim off the top growth in order to encourage new, soft growth before applying the chemical. I had to make two applications.
 Killing off ivy - Robbie34
Ivy is virtually impossible to kill. My next door neighbour's former wife planted an ivy some years ago, and the thing has spread. It has grown all over my garden and I've sprayed it with everything without success. The thing grows underground and emerges everywhere.

If anyone can recommend a product that will kill it I'll be delighted. None of the usual brands work, e.g. Pathclear and the like. Sodium chlorate would probably have killed the rootstock, but you can no longer obtain this.
 Killing off ivy - Haywain
"I killed Common Ivy by cutting the main growth and then treating the regrowth. "

I've just re-read this and, to clarify, I treated the ivy with glyphosate (i.e. the active ingredient) formulated and sold as the product 'Clinic Ace'.

[I am NPTC qualified to apply agrochemicals, and worked for one of the largest chemical manufacturers for 27 years before becoming a consultant]
 Killing off ivy - legacylad
Rather late in replying to the posts, but thanks one and all for your input. Thanks also from the person who wants to eliminate all his ground ivy.
Latest Forum Posts