Non-motoring > Glastonbury Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 15

Glastonbury - Runfer D'Hills
Been watching bits on and off. I used to live in a house with a garden / orchard which bordered on to the festival site. Not close enough to see any stage from there but more than close enough to hear. Long time ago though.

Despite that proximity I never actually got around to going in. I don't mind camping but that looks pretty basic.

By pure coincidence we now live ( as the crow flies, across a canal and behind some trees ) less than a quarter of a mile from another open air concert venue. My son arranges parties in our garden whenever his favourite bands are playing. Can't see them but they sound good ! I remember him sending out invitations to a birthday party and claiming that McFly were playing. They were, just not quite at his party.

I enjoyed Paulo Nutini and Elbow so far. Blondie was a bit of a let down, still fun but she can't hit the notes like she used to. Especially noticeable when they did 'Maria'. Shame really, still a good performance.

I like Glastonbury on the telly. Less muddy generally that way.

Glastonbury - smokie
I enjoy my music, especially when it's live, but Glastonbury has never held much appeal really. It's not so much the basic camping facilities, I've coped with those at race tracks (was at Le Mans earlier this month and that's nothing special) but I think it's the massive crowds. I have no crowd phobias, but while I like to see and hear big names, the sheer size of the audience would mean I'd be miles out the back, because I couldn't be bothered with getting in early for a good spot!! You certainly get to see more on telly (especially of Lilly Allen!!) but you just don't get the atmosphere.

There are plenty of good small bands playing in local venues, and much smaller concerts (I go to a small blues weekend in Hampshire every year which, along with motor racing in Florida and France and sometimes elsewhere, is one of my annual highlights).

Glastonbury - legacylad
I'm going to the Dent Music & Beer festival this weekend.
Fewer crowds, better beer and easy to get to from my local station...30 minutes up the line
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 28 Jun 14 at 09:14
 Glastonbury - Fenlander
>>>Blondie was a bit of a let down

Mrs F called me in to see and I had to decline... best remembered...

>>>There are plenty of good small bands playing in local venues

Agreed.... and even some bigger name artists in the small venues
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 28 Jun 14 at 09:51
 Glastonbury - Runfer D'Hills
I admit to an amount of dysfunctionality in so far as I have never liked crowds or crowd behaviour. My wife says she enjoys the hustle and bustle but it is my idea of hell being trapped in close proximity with so many others.

I would enjoy the live music a lot but I don't want to be jostled by people while doing so. Same with sporting events, I hate being in the midst of a crowd at a sports stadium. In truth I get quite irrationally irritated if someone bumps into me in a supermarket or airport queue.
 Glastonbury - Telb
As someone of my acquaintance says "I'm having my own festival. I'm going to charge myself double for every drink and take a dump in the garden."
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 29 Jun 14 at 01:42
 Glastonbury - zookeeper
i went to knebworth in 79 to see led zep...estimates 200,000 crowd
it was £7.50 all in
it was a bit like being in a sea of bodies and it took an hour to walk over them to get to the toilets
best gig i ever went too.. chas and dave opened the batting around 10.00am and various band throughout the day
LED ZEP opened up at about 9.00 pm and kept us enthralled until around 1.00pm
and i enjoyed it so much i went again a week later 4 aug and 11 aug 1979
one cracking good experience thats stayed with me all this time
 Glastonbury for AC - Fenlander
AC if you happen to be looking in Seun Kuti is on the BBC webstream now... might hark back to the musical feel of your days visiting his father.
 Glastonbury for AC - Armel Coussine
I know Seun too, slightly, since he was small, and I knew his mother. Can't tune in to any live or other sound though. I'd be interested to know the names of the surviving lineup of Egypt 80.
This any help??

www.afrobeatmusic.net/html/bandmembers.html
 Glastonbury for AC - Runfer D'Hills
Trying very hard to get into Metallica. Not really happening yet. Keeping an open mind though. I guess there's something I'm not quite getting.
For me the late 60s/early 70s in the UK produced proper rock and the likes of Metallica, Magnum, Poison, Anthrax and the like are pale imitations given the previous choice of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Uriah Heep, Babe Ruth, Jethro Tull, Bad Company and many more

Re Glastonbury the end of the Goldfrapp set (same stage after Kuti) was excellent but they are a minority interest.
 Glastonbury for AC - Armel Coussine
Thanks for the Egypt 80 show-pix Fenlander. No names though and the person I was looking for isn't among them. I know some of them all right, not all though.

I heard Led Zeppelin live once, on Hampstead Heath I think. They were pretty terrible. Saw a thing on the box last night of the Beach Boys at Knebworth, must have been 20 years ago because they look about 50. That too was lacklustre, their hearts weren't in it even with their good old original numbers.

I hate open air concerts. The sound gets lost in the sky unless you crowd to the very front, and even then sometimes. Total waste of time once you've done it. Ripped as a stoat in a cold dark muddy field full of other twerps... damned uncomfortable.
 Glastonbury for AC - Runfer D'Hills
I quite enjoyed the 'Whiskey in the jar' cover. I was once coerced into lead singing that with a bunch of equally ouzo ( or it might have been metaxa, or both ) infused musician friends on a small Greek Island about 30 years ago.

We had managed to convince the owner of an open air night club that we were a quite famous up and coming UK band ( we were of course nothing of the sort ) and that as we were on holiday we would, as a special favour, play in return only for unlimited access to his bar. We got away with it for a night or three but our limited repertoire gave us away in the end. That and the disproportionate ratio of time spent drinking versus performing.

Glastonbury for AC - ....
I first saw Metallica in September 1986 at the Mayfair in Newcastle, been a fan for years.

I watched the first half hour or so yesterday evening and I wasn't getting it at all.

For me it comes down to venue and quality of sound. I either want to be there or, I want it on an album where I can crank up the volume and not disturb anyone else.

Watching on TV is a poor imitation.
Well some small chinks of light in an often bland output across the stages. But Dolly... great performance and all credit to her for getting the crowd on her side... it could have gone so badly wrong with an older USA "Radio 2" artist.

Liked the band Vintage Trouble, Jack White inventive but almost too ragged, Plastic Ono Band - good grief thought that was all behind us, Izzy Bizu who sounds similar to Rickie Lee Jones who I started listening to 20yrs ago, Band of Skulls just for the guy's guitar tone and others no doubt that I've yet to watch.
Latest Forum Posts