Non-motoring > Shower waste pumps Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 22

Shower waste pumps - Ambo

Joint problems mean I can't use baths. I want to install a shower with a very low threshold, which would involve setting the shower base a few inches below floor level. As the external waste would then be too low for normal drain-off, this would necessitate fitting an electric waste pump.

At £580 the quotation I have (for this item alone) seems vey high but can anyone with experience of such a system comment on its reliability and noise level please?
 Shower waste pumps - devonite
£550 squids! - get in here quick!!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHOWER-WASTE-PUMP-NIDEC-403-930-CONTOUR-H2OXTRACTOR-081218C-SWP-PRIMO-XTRA-12075-/221470341366?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Bathroom_Shower_Units_PP&hash=item3390a938f6
 Shower waste pumps - commerdriver
My late mum had a similar system, reliable in use but noisy, especially with the last few drops of waste water, don't remember the cost as it was done in a bathroom refit including other things.

Don't know your situation she was in Paisley and the council (social services department?) paid half, would have paid all if she hadn't had reasonable pension etc.
 Shower waste pumps - MJM
As an alternative, would a ramp be possible instead?
 Shower waste pumps - No FM2R
>>would a ramp be possible instead?

Or a broad pedestal?

We have an electric pump in a shower. It sounds like No. 2 daughter sucking up the last of a Ice Cream Sundae through a straw.
Good noise analogy but how long have you used it without problems? There is not room for a ramp or a pedestal.
Oh a long time. 7 or 8 years perhaps, maybe more.
p.s. which almost certainly means they're better now.

By the way, just as a last thought, you could make it a wet room and have no shower pan at all?
 Shower waste pumps - Aretas
I know nothing about such fittings, but wonder if you have to take precautions to prevent waste water from other devices - toilets, basins - coming up through a low shower floor?
Good point for me to raise, Aretas.
 Shower waste pumps - Crankcase
We have a small downstairs shower room. I thought a wet room might be good - and then discovered the price. It's a LOT of money to make a proper wet room, with suitable waterproofing and drainage. The first quote was about 5k, and when I decided that must be a joke and got another elsewhere, it was 7k.

As I'd thought it would be about £50 for some tiles and and a bit of grouting I gave up the idea; even if I hammered it down to half the quote, which is unlikely, it was far more than I'd want to pay for such a thing.
 Shower waste pumps - Fenlander
>>> It's a LOT of money to make a proper wet room

And I genuinely don't understand how they are any advantage in the average home... apart from the apparent status when the installation cost and tile choices are discussed at a social gathering.
 Shower waste pumps - Boxsterboy
The other problem with wet rooms is that you no longer have a shower cubicle to clean after each use, you have a whole room to clean. They get very messy in use unless you are fastidious with the cleaning.
 Shower waste pumps - Focusless
>> They get very messy in use unless you are fastidious with the cleaning.

Presumably that depends to extent on the type of water you've got - here in Reading limescale builds up in no time. I don't think my parents in the Lakes know what limescale is :)
 Shower waste pumps - CGNorwich
Reading water is certainly hard but it's even harder in Norfolk. A real problem. Thinking of getting a water softener.

Shower waste pumps - commerdriver
>> Reading water is certainly hard but it's even harder in Norfolk.
>>
So why is Reading water even harder in Norfolk?

couldn't resist it, sorry :-)
 Shower waste pumps - sooty123
Yes I remember when living in Norfolk how much limescale was in the water. Some of the new houses were built with filters in them in the area.
I worked with quite a few scots none of them could drink the water from the tap, all of them used to buy bottled water. They found the taste left it undrinkable.
 Shower waste pumps - CGNorwich
Actually I think it tastes ok. It's just the havoc it plays with plumbing, washing machines kettles etc
 Shower waste pumps - sooty123
I suppose it depends what you are used to. It was noticable the difference, not enough to buy bottled water. But if you came from the countryside in Scotland it would taste very different.
Yes appliances don't last long. I think we had to buy new stuff more frequently.
 Shower waste pumps - Crankcase
We stayed in some upmarket B&Bs that had them, and I liked the space. The shower cubicle we have is titchy, so you end up leaning against a cold wall or banging your elbows. Putting in a new larger cubicle means so much alteration to existing infrastructure anyway I thought a full wet room would be the answer. But too many pennies for a miser to contemplate in the end. I'll live with a titchy shower.
 Shower waste pumps - Fenlander
The only thing remotely like wet rooms I've used is in modern well speccd holiday cottages near the sea where it is expected folks might have been swimming.

One had a downstairs utility type room with a sort of durable non-slip plastic type flooring that curved up the wall and had a drain in the middle. Big sink thing where you could rinse off a wetsuit and a toilet but the shower was still in a cubicle... curved front with a natty curved sliding door and easily big enough for two or more (!).

The other had something very similar but as an en-suite to the main bedroom and no wetsuit was facility.

To me they were ideal as you could use the shower spray to rinse down the whole room if needed but they kept the high moisture levels broadly within the shower cubicle to be extracted directly above.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 9 Jul 14 at 10:48
I started using wet rooms in 1953, in Malayan estate bungalows. They were delightfully uncomplicated. They contained nothing but a tap and an overhead pipe - my pay grade didn't qualify me for a shower rose. With more seniority, I graduated to a fully-equipped one, i.e. one with a large Shanghai jar and a dipper. The idea was to sluice water over oneself, a delightfully uninhibited way of bathing. Waste water ran out of the ground level hole that occasionally attracted snakes, and away into the bushes.
 Shower waste pumps - Alanovich
>> my pay grade

For some reason I first read that as "gay parade". Better pop down to see Dr Leech for a course of leeches, I suppose.*

*Blackadder reference, for the benefit of the terminally confused
Latest Forum Posts