Non-motoring > Barclays - wonder branches. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 25

Barclays - wonder branches. - henry k
www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2611365/Why-Barclays-removed-counters-replaced-machines.html

Surbiton Branch has gone electronic .
I visited it to cancel a direct debit. One of the wandering ex counter staff directed me to a bank of screens cos its easy to do sir.
After much faffing about the deed was done but my card was not returned.
" It should have indicated *&^%$, Not sure what has happened"
After a wait a further expert arrived and unlocked the box ( watched, for security reasons? by the the first helper) and eventually I got my card back.

Not impressed!. After 50+ years with them I am tempted to take my account elsewhere but I suspect the bean counters across the industry are all intent on the same path to simple automation :-( and It will be out of the frying pan ....

( perhaps this should be in the getting old thread ? )
 Barclays - wonder branches. - smokie
I have to say that banking is one of the services I think has adapted very well to computers and phones. It is now so easy to move money around from your armchair, without having to drag into town, pay the parking, waiting queues etc.

Last weekend I had the unfortunate need to visit a Santander branch, as I had been told by the call centre people that they would have/know the best options for re-investment of an expiring ISA. After 10 minutes of queueing then talking to the cashier and her supervisor it transpired they didn't, nor did anyone else present in the branch. Even when, in my frustration, i asked them to just pay me back the money it hasn't been straightforward.

But on my phone I can pay people, check balance and statement etc within seconds. Even more is available online, including cancelling direct debits.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - bathtub tom
I refuse whatsoever to enter my local Santander branch.

I wanted to invest my redundancy in a bond that had to be opened in branch. They gave me documents for a bond different to that I had chosen (and was advertised on a wall poster). They told me it would be sorted out later!

I put it in premium bonds.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - spamcan61
>> I refuse whatsoever to enter my local Santander branch.
>>
Same here, the staff in the various ex Abbey National branches round my way seem to take a perverse delight in being unhelpful, always have done. bizzare.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - CGNorwich
Surlely bank branches like post offices are virtually redundant in the digital age. Haven' t been in my local branch of the Co-op bank for over a year. Can't really see what they are for any more. Used to pay in the occasional cheque but haven't seen one of those for a long while now.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - Roger.
We changed to Halifax from First Direct a few months ago.
We found the Halifax branch staff to be very helpful and in the few times we have visited it, the branch has been pretty busy.
Perhaps the fact that we are in a low income, ex-mining area and the resulting demographics are responsible?
The Halifax web site is excellent and easy to use - I log in every day (those with few funds need to keep an eagle eye etc.) and happily the bank nearly always agrees figures with my PC money management program!
But what service do customers of bank branches seek the can't be done on-line or by an ATM?
 Barclays - wonder branches. - No FM2R
Perhaps its just human contact, or perhaps they prefer to do stuff face to face.

They're customers, they can want what they want, and if there's enough of them their wants will be answered.

There's nothing I can't do for myself at a Tesco's self-service till, there's nothing I can't do for myself at a self-service petrol pump, but I'll be damned if I'll use either if there's an acceptable alternative.
I guess so but I would assume that the numbers who actually do want face to face banking are rapidly dwindling. Once people have overcome their initial reluctance to online banking I don't think they are likely to want to go back to queuing in the high street at times that suits the bank rather than the customer,

As far as Tesco is concerned If I'm buying a few items and it saves waiting I would always use self service, don' t see the problem.

Paying in cash certainly needs a branch but do personal customers pay in cash? More of a commercial thing surely.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - No FM2R
"rapidly dwindling".

I guess so, but I am one of them. I prefer "face to face" dealing. Although it becomes increasingly frustrating as the increasing complexity of the requirements runs against lower and lower investment in customer facing staff and their training.

And its not that the self-service till at Tescos is a problem, I'd just rather not. Here virtually ever till has not only a cashier but a "packer" who will put all your purchases into bags and then into a trolley - for which the going rate is a tip of about 40p. They will take it out to your car, or indeed back to your home, if required.

Most petrol stations in South America are attended service and windscreens get cleaned and oil checked; again, a "tip rate" of about 40p. I really feel like I'm roughing it when at a European self service station.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - Westpig
>> But what service do customers of bank branches seek the can't be done on-line or
>> by an ATM?
>>

Paying in cash?
 Barclays - wonder branches. - Armel Coussine
>> Paying in cash?

I won't hear a word against Germany or Costa Rica. Two blokes from those countries came to see me yesterday about a text they want me to translate. They were very nice, made sense, and on the way back to the station made me stop at the money machine and gave me a £350 wodge in cash for samples already done. Biggish cheque to follow (fingers crossed) which will eliminate my overdraft and even enable me to reimburse some of my huge debt to herself. Then all I will have to do is the work.

I hate being strapped for cash although it is my normal condition. I look kindly on those who give me money. Very kindly. And they were really cool guys.

Barclays - wonder branches. - Robin O'Reliant
>> >> But what service do customers of bank branches seek the can't be done on-line
>> or
>> >> by an ATM?
>> >>
>>
>> Paying in cash?
>>

Exactly, which is what millions of self-employed people have to do at least every week and often daily.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 12 Jul 14 at 20:26
 Barclays - wonder branches. - sherlock47
Tesco self service tills accept cash! Whether they can cope with a fiver that has been in the pocket for the last month I have never found out.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - Armel Coussine
I once got a ghastly little rag of a Nigerian five-shilling note in my change (not here of course). The currency had already changed and it wasn't legal tender. It was so dishevelled that it would have been shredded by a bank slot. And it was printed on one side only.

Nevertheless I managed to spend it along with a cocktail of other coins - many also obsolete - and notes. Money dey money O, not so Oga?
 Barclays - wonder branches. - zippy
All the automation is all very well until it goes wrong.

There is nowhere on my banks website to report a wrong direct debit or standing order. There is no "this transaction is fraudulent" button........
 Barclays - wonder branches. - henry k
>> All the automation is all very well until it goes wrong.
>>
>> There is nowhere on my banks website to report a wrong direct debit or standing
>> order. There is no "this transaction is fraudulent" button........
>>
IMO, by far the vast number of companies just do lip service to " customer service"
The first obvious example is the " contact us" process, if there is one.
I can only recall one company that gives the sender an email copy.
So you go into bat with a screen dump, at best, as evidence that you tried to contact them.

Barclays have screwed things for me up a few times in the past.

After no reply to an email to a major world wide food company, after 4 weeks I eventually found a phone number to call.
I was accused of typing in the wrong 8/10 alphanumeric code off a packet that just happened to be a valid code for a lower reward. chances of that on two different codes -- less than Zero.
Did not like it when I said they were joking.
I told them their custom contact processes were poor in many ways. " I am sure the corporate approach have assessed things" Yes I believe you - NOT.

Orange yet again causing me problems so for the third time I will contact the CEOs office.

After a three/ four year silence since the electricity meter should have been changed a letter has arrived. I am amazed.

Composing a stropogram to estate agents head office.
" I would actively dissuade anyone from using your company and I have a pile of good documentary evidence to show them why" That should be an interesting reply if I get one.

Samsung hsave serious errors in their oven installation instructions and omissiions in their documentation which is commented on the web. They would not listen and just did not want to know. I guess it is another letter to the CEO.

I got a load of gobbledygook in Waitrose when I asked why the price on a product went from £1:50 to £2.20 (I can by it on offer down from £150 to £1.20 at Sainsburys ?) Its back to £1.50 this week.
I expected better from Waitrose.

Why cannot life be simple :-(
End of rant.

John Lewis Financial Services ( Credit card) are very good.
Goodwood Festival were superb handling my feedback.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - Roger.
We save £1 coins in a 3 litre Bacardi bottle - if it ever became full we'd be rich.
However, when it gets to a couple of hundred quid we do pay it in, neatly packed in bank supplied plastic pouches. Then I go online & pay the dosh off my interest free credit card.
Best of both!
 Barclays - wonder branches. - MD
>> >> I refuse whatsoever to enter my local Santander branch.
>> >>
>> Same here, the staff in the various ex Abbey National branches round my way seem
>> to take a perverse delight in being unhelpful, always have done. bizzare.
>>
Then report them. The staff in the Barnstaple branch in north Devon are quite the opposite. Perhaps it's rural living that suits them best.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - Runfer D'Hills
Applying my own brand of amateur psychology. Maybe the sort of people who would end up working as a teller in a bank in a large conurbation are by default not likely to be among life's great achievers, given that having more than half a brain and a city full of opportunity, you might set your sights a bit higher. Whereas in a rural community kind of any job is better than none and might be more highly valued by its incumbent.
By the same reckoning bank customers living in a large town or city are more likely to be able to cope with minor inconveniences and hassles and less likely to complain than those in rural communities where nothing much happens and residents struggle to cope with change.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 13 Jul 14 at 09:24
 Barclays - wonder branches. - legacylad
I live in a rural community, a small market town with four banks plus PO. Some of banks are not open every weekday, none on a Saturday, but we cope. My only gripe was that my bank offered no credit interest so I changed to Santander 123 with cash back on DDs and 3% interest on credit balance. The change went very smoothly, I can print out statements at home, the only downside being I have to wait until visiting towns 16 & 25 miles away if I need to pay in cheques or cash. No big deal as I do so once a fortnight. The staff are unfailingly helpful and polite at every local bank I have dealt with, as are the Santander staff.
Maybe I'm tempting fate but banking seems to be more trouble free for me than it has ever been.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - bathtub tom
>> the only downside being I have to wait until visiting towns 16 & 25 miles away if I need to pay in cheques or cash.

Can you no longer pay in at POs?

Santander used to have an arrangement whereby you deposited cheques in a sealed envelope at POs and received a receipt.

I've also sold cars by handing the cash over at a PO counter where it's been credited to my account and giving the keys to the buyer.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - legacylad
No idea bt. I shall enquire at my local PO on my lunch break tomorrow.
Thanks for that information. Much appreciated.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Can you no longer pay in at POs?
>>
>> Santander used to have an arrangement whereby you deposited cheques in a sealed envelope at
>> POs and received a receipt.
>>
>>
They still do. I use the post office to pay cash and cheques into my account with my company like that.
 Barclays - wonder branches. - Manatee
>> Applying my own brand of amateur psychology.

I think the cobbler should stick to his last:)

A fish rots from the head. Not everybody is a go getter, and neither is go-getting synonymous with the provision of excellent service.

Assuming the staff have systems and resources that actually work and support the services they are offering, that they are properly trained and above all are motivated to help customers there will be good service.

Motivation for most people has nothing to do with money. It is about being appreciated. Recognition, responsibility, opportunity to get on if they want to, and support when they need it.

Some large organisations have not provided this. Poor systems that just didn't work (following botched systems migrations after mergers) insufficient staff, pressure on them to sell products whether they are good for the customers or not, have all contributed.

Sometimes it's just poor local management. But if most of the counter staff in your bank are unhelpful, chances are that the problem is higher up than the front line.
Latest Forum Posts