Non-motoring > Local Authority Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 3

Local Authority - MD
A friend has an issue with water ingress into the covered side access to his property in times of heavy rainfall. This is used as both access and storage and is shared with a neighbour. The L.A. say that they have no funds to rectify said problem. However some road works have taken place over the years prior to the problem (which started last November). Prior to this date the ingress never happened. I contend that they are likely to be liable. The property has been owned by the same person for fourteen years. What do the panel or Legal Eagles think.
 Local Authority - Falkirk Bairn
50 yrs ago my brother has the same problem.

He blocked the flow into his property, the road flooded, pedestrians complained.....it was fixed within a week or two.
 Local Authority - Westpig
I have had very similar.

Keep ringing up the local authority and booking in a problem on their booking in system and ask for a reference number.

Be persistent and keep getting a separate number for a separate issue i.e. on different dates.

All public bodies nowadays are measured on performance ..and this dept will be measured in how many calls they get, how quickly they deal with them, how many are outstanding at any given time, etc...or something along those lines.

If it goes like mine did, the boss will ring you to discuss the problem and offer his direct contact number (a seemingly 'nice' thing to do, however, read through that, it prevents you from ringing in the general switchboard and getting another new number and increasing their measured work that they cannot/will not deal with).

In my case, I got the boss to admit that he had no budget left to do the work ..but he agreed to prioritise it in the next financial year, so I stopped ringing in, but when April came, rang to remind him of his promise.. and the work was completed to my complete satisfaction about a month ago.
 Local Authority - MD
Thanks Westy, most useful.
Latest Forum Posts