Non-motoring > Amazing Amazon delivery times Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 20

Amazing Amazon delivery times - smokie
I ordered a jacket from Amazon.co.uk at 11pm on Friday, super saver delivery - arrived by lunchtime today

I also ordered a tent from Amazon.com as it worked out a lot cheaper to do that than from .co.uk - even with import duty allowance and shipping from the US - ordered at 0800 Friday morning, super saver delivery, arrived 4pm today.

Both had estimated beginning of next week for delivery. Can;t fault them on that service!

Tent is this one btw, I have it's larger brother and it is an absolute breeze to put up - less than a minute fully pegged down. And it also goes back into the bag easily, unlike many other tents I have known... www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000010387-4-Person-Instant-Tent/dp/B004E4AVY8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406570997&sr=8-3&keywords=coleman+instant+tent

Amazing Amazon delivery times - bathtub tom
I ordered a camera mount from Amazon a few weeks ago. The same looking ones were on ebay, but coming from China.

It was only after I paid that I noticed the expected delivery time - three weeks!

It came from China!
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - Slidingpillar
From my experience and that of folk I've talked to, Amazon do the 'trick' I used to do with new TV transmitter opening dates, add time to best estimate and quote that.

Get it right, the new transmitter or your Amazon order stands a good chance of coming before the public figure and gets the organisation brownie points.

I'm a cheapskate, always use Amazon super saver (ie free) but at times I've had the goods next day too!
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - mikeyb
Yep, I'm a super saver man, and sometimes its just as quick.

Chuffed to find we now have an amazon locker in our town - works well, and more accessible than the post office
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - Crankcase
Used to buy loads from Amazon, but when they stopped doing free super saver for items under a tenner I find more and more I just go back to ebay, where the same item is still at lower prices.

Example this week. Bought a little extension lead for some headphones. Amazon was £8 with postage, but item was only £1.49. Total on ebay for same item was £2.49 inc postage.

Of course, Amazon have to pay their way so don't need my business, I understand that. I assume they were making a loss on the service.

At work we use Prime and it works well, but I buy perhaps 5k a month of stuff using it so it ought to.
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - DP
Ordered some car headrest mounts for the kids' tablets on Wednesday evening, and they arrived Friday. I find it's rarely more than 48 hrs (plus weekends).
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - Stuartli
>>
I'm a cheapskate, always use Amazon super saver (ie free) but at times I've had the goods next day too!>>

More often than not goods are delivered within two or three days.

Only recently ordered a new mobile phone on Amazon using Super Saver and the seller actually sent it via First Class Special Delivery. It arrived the following day...:-)
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - Cliff Pope
Remember the bad old days "Please allow 28 days for delivery" ?
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - madf
>> Remember the bad old days "Please allow 28 days for delivery" ?
>>

No.

Before my time :-)
>>Remember the bad old days "Please allow 28 days for delivery" ?>>

But that was before the present day quite remarkable logistics simplification of many, many thousands of parcel deliveries all over the UK by a wide range of couriers.

>> But that was before the present day quite remarkable logistics simplification of many, many thousands
>> of parcel deliveries all over the UK by a wide range of couriers.
>>

Exactly. That's where Royal Mail need to get their act together.
>>Exactly. That's where Royal Mail need to get their act together. >>

Bit late. They've lost a lot of ground in recent months and it will be very difficult to regain the initiative.

Bit like the times when postal workers went on strike and individuals and businesses suddenly remembered the fax machine and again, a few years later, when the postal unions overlooked the equivalent speed of e-mails. We all know the eventual result of such strike actions on Royal Mail's fortunes.
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - BobbyG
Best service I ever got was a delivery from Next which came 2 hours after I ordered it! Their depot is 3 miles away from me and I reckon I must have got the order in just before an order poll and being close, I was first on their delivery list!
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - BobbyG
Stuart did you advise the Tories on the share offer price??? :)
No, but a number of financial institutions submitted their forecast of what would prove a suitable opening share price.

Did you advise Gordon Brown on when to sell our gold or how to screw up the best pension schemes in the world?

:-) :-)
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - Mapmaker
"allow 28 days for delivery"

You all seem to have the misunderstanding that this was to allow the post to get it to you. It is instead an inventory-management device for mail-order companies. They don't need to hold inventory. The stuff is instead manufactured to order - hence the 28 days. Of course, for the more common stuff you didn't need to wait the 28 days as it was being produced continuously.
I think I knew that really.
But all the customer sees is the waiting time between ordering and its arrival, and both factors have so vastly improved.

I bought some stuff on Amazon a few days ago. I didn't notice it was coming from America.
It still arrived in 3 days, with free delivery.
How on earth do they do that?
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - Roger.
They lose vast sums of money? (Amazon has yet to make a profit).
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - Crankcase
mashable.com/2014/07/25/amazon-profit-loss-on-purpose/
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - Zero
I am at a loss to understand this, and always have been. Amazon has, in effect, in its entire life, never made a profit. Over the years, quite a few now, vast sums of money have been poured into it, with no return on that investment. Its a very spectacular con trick.
 Amazing Amazon delivery times - smokie
Isn't this a contributing factor to their low (zero?) tax liabilities? I really don't understand finance but large companies shove money around the world - was a Vodafone who makes vast profits in Luxembourg and losses everywhere else, but only have one member of staff in Luxembourg? ISTR (from Private Eye) that one of the coffee companies does a similar trick.

Smoke and mirrors I reckon.
Latest Forum Posts