Non-motoring > Expiry dates Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 25

Expiry dates - Crankcase
I'm not a fan of adhering too tightly to expiry dates.

However, holidays beckon, and we have found our bottle of suncream. I notice two points of interest.

One is that the labels have long since faded. It's Nivea something, but who knows what factor.

The other is that there is still a price label on it, saying Savory and Moore, £6.95.

Looks to me from Google as if they were taken over by Lloyds Pharmacies in 1992, so do we think it's still any good?

If it costs that much in 1991 or earlier, a sum I'd be tearful about parting with today, I'm surprised we didn't take out a bank loan for it.

I dread to think how much a replacement might be. I don't suppose it will be hot anyway.

Expiry dates - rtj70
Perhaps best to use it and risk skin cancer? Wouldn't want to waste it :-)

Are you seriously saying this is the last bottle of sun cream you bought? We do have some sunny days in Britain. Certainly a few since 1992! And a few weeks ago we had strong sunshine.

I would imagine you'd get some decent sun cream/lotion for around that price. Often get two for one in Boots. Or here's some 2-for-1 Nivea at Tesco:

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=259058431
 Expiry dates - Zero
still any good?
>>
>> If it costs that much in 1991 or earlier, a sum I'd be tearful about
>> parting with today, I'm surprised we didn't take out a bank loan for it.

Clearly it cost so much you couldn't afford holidays in the intervening 22 years to use it up.

Interesting exercise and lesson in earning power, wealth of nations, inflation etc

Your sun cream today will cost

tada

£6.95

AND

it will be a higher protection factor.

Expiry dates - Crankcase
Well, that is the last one we bought, yes. Never been anywhere that's needed it really. Don't do sun. But likely to be in the outside a bit in a week so just in case.

Pleasantly surprised to find it's not now £25 a pop though.

Now , last week we cleared the cupboards and I was very loathe to chuck out the vanilla essence. That said best before March 1986, but was still nearly full of course. So it went, with a slight pang at the waste. If I'd used it there might instead have been a slight pang at the waist I suppose.

Expiry dates - rtj70
I'm surprised Crankcase has not been in the sun for 22 years! The sun is strong enough to burn and cause damage in the UK. You don't need to be going to sit on a beach in the med for hours on end to need it.

Walking around Munich today and yesterday, the sun was out so I've had sun lotion on. I use it in a handy spray bottle (well we already had some). Tend not to assume it lasts that long and even though we use it at home and overseas, it tends to be replaced before it is all used.... Not worth the risk.
 Expiry dates - Alastairw
Sun cream is still useable after the expiry date. You just have to use more for the same protection. As long as you slop plenty on it will be OK -or just wear lightweight clothes and a hat.
 Expiry dates - Manatee
We use it for years. I burn easily - I'd soon know if it wasn't working.
 Expiry dates - Zero
>> I'm surprised Crankcase has not been in the sun for 22 years! The sun is
>> strong enough to burn and cause damage in the UK. You don't need to be
>> going to sit on a beach in the med for hours on end to need
>> it.

I think it depends. As a kid of a certain age, many on here, we were chucked onto a beach wearing only skimpy trunks for two weeks in sun kissed cornwall or devon and burned to a frazzle.

6 weeks school holidays and every summer weekend were spent running around in vests and shorts in the burning sunshine. No caps, no shade, no sun screen.

Not many of our age have gone on to develop skin cancers. Even now I rarely, if ever use sun screen, and early in the season i'll go a little red, then brown off nicely and stay that way for the summer. Wear a cap tho, with the ole barnet thinning a bit, dehydration is distinct possibility.

Kids today wear bio suits or are smothered in cream, and like not consuming bacteria any more , I think we are loosing our immunity and hardiness. We are breeding a genetically inferior race over time.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 3 Aug 14 at 21:25
 Expiry dates - Manatee
I don't think my Grandad ever used sunscreen, but he did wear a suit and hat most of the time.

Sunburn is horrible - I don't class using sun screen with pathological dirt avoidance or nannying.

My Grandma often said you have to eat a certain amount of dirt. I don't know whether she had a theory about building up immunities, or if she just meant it was inevitable!
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 3 Aug 14 at 21:40
 Expiry dates - Zero
>> I don't think my Grandad ever used sunscreen, but he did wear a suit and
>> hat most of the time.
>>
>> Sunburn is horrible - I don't class using sun screen with pathological dirt avoidance or
>> nannying.

Yea but no but - if you never get sun exposure - the first time is horrible for sure. But once you have been exposed, you never get burnt. Even over winter, sufficient tone is left in the skin that sun burn is never that terrible again.

My postman wears shorts, summer / winter. He has legs like an eobonised grand piano, no chance of them burning.

We are not sons of the soil any more, not weathered. No wonder we wither in the elements
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 3 Aug 14 at 21:50
 Expiry dates - Armel Coussine
It takes a lot of violent sun to burn me. Indeed I can only remember a couple of occasions when I've had proper sunburn.

What I do is tan, browner and browner. Like some sort of unspecified foreign element.

When I was young I used to dislike this being commented on, pale freckled marginally racist people asking where I came from. But one grows out of that sort of trivial anxiety.
 Expiry dates - henry k
>> My Grandma often said you have to eat a certain amount of dirt.
>> I don't > know whether she had a theory about building up immunities, or if she just meant
>> it was inevitable!
>
" You must eat a peck of dirt before you die" is the expression I was told by my mother.
I understood it to mean that it was inevitable and a normal event so not worth worrying about.
 Expiry dates - CGNorwich
"Not many of our age have gone on to develop skin cancers."

Not true I'm afraid. Skin cancers are most prevalent in the over sixties and peaks in the over eighties. You are far more likely to develop cancer in areas of the body exposed to the sun than those areas protected by clothing. Men for example have far more incidence of the disease on their torso than women. Women develop more cases on their legs than men.

See link for the facts on skin cancer.

www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/cancerstats/types/skin/incidence/uk-skin-cancer-incidence-statistics

Expiry dates - Stuartli
Home Bargains and Save sell branded sun lotion at prices much lower than the recommended or supermarkets' figures (along with a large number of other products).

I have, along with quite a few friends, have a few brown pigment marks on the skin of the upper part of my hands, which we've eventually decided is probably caused by the sun shining through vehicles' windscreens whist driving. No problems with mine, but you never know just how cancers may arise.
 Expiry dates - Zero
>> See link for the facts on skin cancer.
>>
>> www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/cancerstats/types/skin/incidence/uk-skin-cancer-incidence-statistics

Exactly, the statistics prove my point. Its still only 4% of all new cancers, even tho its becoming an increasing risk over the years. Of course they try and explain the reasons for this, but never consider the fact its due to an increasing lack of exposure.

I know loads of folks who have contracted cancers of various types. One of them was skin cancer.

And that was a ginger headed englishman who became a beach comber in Australia after spending 30 years in a dark factory in the UK.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 4 Aug 14 at 08:58
 Expiry dates - Zero
>> Exactly, the statistics prove my point.

Mark my words, in a million years we will have weakened ourselves, genetically, to the point of extinction.

Remember you heard it here first folks.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 4 Aug 14 at 08:58
 Expiry dates - CGNorwich
"but never consider the fact its due to an increasing lack of exposure. "

No it completely the other way round. It is due to an increasing amount of exposure to sunlight. It is extremely rare to get such cancers on parts of the body not exposed to the skin. That is why men for example don't get cancer on the legs as often as women.

Sunlight damage skin cells . You only need to compare the upper and lower surfaces of your arm to see that . You cannot become acclimatised to radiation damage whether it is by ultra violet light or X rays. Radiation damage is cumulative.

The only protection for your skin is to cover it up. The more you have been exposed to sunlight to throughout your life the more prone you are to skin cancer.
 Expiry dates - Zero
>> "but never consider the fact its due to an increasing lack of exposure. "
>>
>> No it completely the other way round. It is due to an increasing amount of
>> exposure to sunlight.

Who says? Thats a theory not proof. The facts also support its due to lack of previous genetic exposure.

>> It is extremely rare to get such cancers on parts of the
>> body not exposed to the skin.

If they are never exposed they will never get UV induced skin cancer, its not possible that is true, but skin cancers DO happen there.

And UV induced skin cancer is rare in itself 13.5k in the uk in 2011. Out of a population of 60 million plus? Thats rare.

According to the link you provided, and I quote,

The highest rates for both sexes occur in south west England and in the densely populated belt of Scotland, from Glasgow in the west to Edinburgh in the east

Now explain to me how an area that gets less direct sunshine exposure, lower temperatures and hence greater "covering up" has similar rates to an area that gets the most sunshine hours, higher temperatures and hence less covering up?

>> The only protection for your skin is to cover it up. The more you have
>> been exposed to sunlight to throughout your life the more prone you are to skin
>> cancer.

Not proven by the facts. The genetic make up of your pigment and skin is what makes you prone to uv induced skin cancer or not.

I accept that some people are more prone than others. And as a race if we cover up continuously we will increase that predisposition over the millennia.
 Expiry dates - Manatee

>> Now explain to me how an area that gets less direct sunshine exposure, lower temperatures
>> and hence greater "covering up" has similar rates to an area that gets the most
>> sunshine hours, higher temperatures and hence less covering up?

Lots of fair skinned freckly types?

And by your own logic - those not inured through repeated exposure are more vulnerable - hence the lilywhite Jocks cop it worse now that people are more likely to spend a fortnight in Spain than in Blackpool.

As for getting tanned for the good of the race - the way that works is that if everybody does their best to get skin cancer then the least fit die before they can pass on their genes - who is going to volunteer to help with that?

Regular exposure as a child has not made me burn resistant - though my forearms and the backs of my hands do now brown slightly instead of going white-red-white, I can still burn them in an hour or two of midday sun in Hertfordshire, but I'd rather not!

The boss and the sprogs are the same - we are just fair-skinned Celtic types and there is no advantage to us whatsoever in being sunburnt.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 4 Aug 14 at 11:10
 Expiry dates - bathtub tom
One of my daughters is quite an expert on this subject.

The sun is dangerous. Sunburn can cause skin cancer. Any pigmentation of the skin caused by sun is damage.

Old suncream can still be effective, even when years out of date. I'm still using some with a best before of 1/11. Smells a little funny, but it's still effective.

Daughter also informs us that the cheap and cheerful stuff from LIDL's is as good as anything you can buy.
 Expiry dates - Cliff Pope
I never burn, I just go an even light brown regardless of the weather.
Do I really need to use suncream in a British winter?
 Expiry dates - Kevin
>Daughter also informs us that the cheap and cheerful stuff from LIDL's is as good as anything you can buy.

In one of Mrs K's magazines a couple of years ago they tested a range of sun lotions. They found that the SPF ratings of many of the big names were wildly inaccurate, mostly less than that claimed.

Boots own Soltan range came out on top for price/performance but was said to be a bit greasy. The P20 all-day stuff was also good.

They also warned that their effectiveness would deteriorate with age and exposure to air. ie. you would need to re-apply more often.

One of the places we go on holiday asks that you wash off any suntan lotion before going swimming or snorkeling. Apparently it is damaging the reef and critters.
 Expiry dates - Lygonos
More die from malignant melanoma than road accidents.

Maybe we should wear seatbelts rather than SPF cream on the beach?
 Expiry dates - Duncan
When Which? tested suncreams they found that a Best Buy which was also cheap was Calypso Sun Lotion SPF30 costing £2.99, with a cost per 100ml of £1.20.
 Expiry dates - rtj70
This has an interesting video link:

fashion.telegraph.co.uk/article/TMG11037546/WATCH-This-is-how-suncream-actually-protects-your-skin.html

Here:

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o9BqrSAHbTc
 Expiry dates - Crankcase
Back from the hol. No, didn't open the new bottle. Expect I'll ask the same question again in 20 years. Incidentally, how many people expect to be still alive in 20years? Not sure I do actually.

Concentrates the mind, that kind of thinking.
Latest Forum Posts