Non-motoring > Freezer tripped! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 10

Freezer tripped! - sherlock47
I run my Freezer in the UK from a dedicated spur, protected by its own RCBO to minimise the problems of supply perturbations or other devices causing power loss.

Needless to say at some point in the last 5 weeks it alone tripped and left a congealed trail of blood and other rotting liquid across the utility room floor. The whole place now smells like a disused abbatoir!

The floor has cleaned up ok (thankyou swmbo), the fridge and freezer emptied, and disinfected. Running perfectly. Pointless doing any tests on the unit since motor circuits and inbuilt electronics are like to show some spurious leakage readings. I will megger the spur, but unlikely to find anything since it is only 3 meters long. Probably better to replace the rcbo, or take it out.

Best advice on smell removal please?
 Freezer tripped! - Dave
May be better to run it without the fancy breaker, if you don't mind taking the chance that something more serious might happen.
 Freezer tripped! - devonite
Sprinkle some Soda-Bicarb on it (smelly area!) leave a couple of hours then sweep it up and sprinkle area with a bit of Pine disinfectant.
 Freezer tripped! - madf
Wide bowl of vinegar (just a 1cm depth will do - surface area is the key). on top of freezer. Leave overnight.
 Freezer tripped! - Zero
bypass the RCD, no way do you need it just for one spur with a freezer on the end.

6 lemons cut into 1/4s, two onions cut in half, clever them on a plate for a week and bobs your uncle.

Then spray to get rid of the fruit fly.
 Freezer tripped! - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Then spray to get rid of the fruit fly.
>>

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"
 Freezer tripped! - Fursty Ferret
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Max-min-digital-fridge-freezer-alarm-thermometer-/171402209690?

Worked for me when someone (who shall not be named here) left the door slightly ajar.
>> www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Max-min-digital-fridge-freezer-alarm-thermometer-/171402209690?
>>
>> Worked for me when someone (who shall not be named here) left the door slightly
>> ajar.
>>

But do they make a super loud version that I will hear from 1000km away?
 Freezer tripped! - rtj70
I did wonder why you said 'in the last 5 weeks' and why you didn't notice sooner. I hope you went somewhere nice for those 5 weeks. And getting back to this didn't put a damper on it.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 20 Aug 14 at 22:33
SWMBO accuses me of talking in riddles, but I thought the 2 clues carefully worded in the OP were a giveaway :)
"Freezer in the UK "
"5 weeks"

Since I have often posted on gallic affairs "2+33" = ? iykwim

PS vinegar + lemons + ventilation is slowly working - or possibly the olfactory epithelium is becoming desensitised!
 Freezer tripped! - Fursty Ferret
>> But do they make a super loud version that I will hear from 1000km away?
>>

I thought about modifying mine to text me if the freezer went off, and even if I did find out there's probably little I could do about it anyway. House insurance to replace spoiled food?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 21 Aug 14 at 10:27
Latest Forum Posts