Non-motoring > WTF is this stuff? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 69

WTF is this stuff? - Armel Coussine
I went to the supermarket today and herself asked me to get some rinse aid. I walked up and down among the soaps, fabric conditioners and so on looking for it, but nothing said rinse aid on the packet or box.

I asked the young checkout geezer what it was. Might it be soda crystals? I ventured hopefully. I'd see them. No, the bloke said. Would I like him to show me the right stuff? No, I wouldn't. One thing I hate is a fuss, burly Sussex matrons fuming in a queue and having it in for me.

Herself was pretty contemptuous, but I insisted there was nothing labelled rinse aid so it was her damn fault. I said she could come to the supermarket with me and take me through it step by step, show me the words 'rinse aid' printed in minute letters under a row of brand names and phoney scientific formulae. I bet she won't be able to. With luck though I will remember the name of the product.
 WTF is this stuff? - Fullchat
Generally a liquid, looks like washing up detergent. Pours into compartment in the dishwasher lid and leaves streak free pots. Only needs topping up now and again. Rinse Aid! Everyones heard of Rinse Aid. :)
 WTF is this stuff? - Cliff Pope
>> Rinse Aid! Everyones
>> heard of Rinse Aid. :)
>>

It's an appeal sponsored by Bob Geldof. Everyone has to wear a plastic bottle lid on their noses and go around looking jolly silly.
 WTF is this stuff? - Old Navy
Give AC a break, he probably doesn't know he has a dishwashing machine. :)
 WTF is this stuff? - Runfer D'Hills
I'm with you AC. I genuinely didn't know we had a dishwasher for the first three years we lived in this house. It's hidden behind a panel in the kitchen which looks exactly the same as any other cupboard door in there. Things lurk behind them all I expect but I hadn't realised there was a domestic appliance behind that one.

I wouldn't have known what rinse aid was either until you raised the matter. It will sadly be of no further use to me though as a piece of knowledge, I have no intention of ever taking an interest in the machine it applies to. Seems somehow decadent to wash dishes in a machine, although my wife says it's jolly handy.
 WTF is this stuff? - rtj70
But rinse aid is included in many washing machine tablets and is the salts. So you can usually programme the dishwasher to not expect it. Here's an example that mentions rinse aid though:

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267446904

But if you need it, then yes it's a liquid that will be with the dishwasher related products.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 20 Aug 14 at 21:46
 WTF is this stuff? - Bromptonaut
As stated it's stuff the dishwasher needs now and then. Mine runs up a red light when it needs topping up, bit like the car's low fuel light.

Aldi have it as a special about every four/six months. You buy one or maybe two bottles and it lasts until the offer comes around again.

How difficult is that?
>> How difficult is that?

COMPLETELY DAMN IMPOSSIBLE WHEN NONE OF THE APPROPRIATE PRODUCTS HAVE THE WORDS 'RINSE AID' ON THEM IN A VISIBLE SIZE, CAPISCE?

Sorry Bromptonaut, can't help yelling sometimes. Perhaps you're a Flora Dad, but I'm not.
>> I genuinely didn't know we had a dishwasher for the first three years

God you lucky thing Humph. Spoilt, hard-working or indifferent, who knows?

There are two dishwashers here and a washing machine and a dryer. I didn't even know what sort of washing machine rinse aid was for until the bloke told me. Rinsing is a frequent process in all the machines... although it sometimes seems as if there should be more when people use deplorable economy settings that poison your crotch and armpits with residual soap and filth. One would expect another sticky substance called rinse aid (although never labelled as such) to make everything even worse. Perhaps there's method in my madness.
 WTF is this stuff? - legacylad
Moved into my gaff 13 years ago. Has a built in dishwasher but not used it once. Probably stinks now. My Lakeland licks the plates clean ( except anything with onions, garlic or curry) then just wash in a bowl in the sink. I cope alright. Just.
 WTF is this stuff? - CGNorwich

"My Lakeland licks the plates clean ( except anything with onions, garlic or curry) then just wash in a bowl in the sink. I cope alright. Just."

I won't come round for tea if that's all the same with you. :-)
 WTF is this stuff? - R.P.
My wife reckons that Humph and AC give me "ideas" ....not sure whether that is good or not.
 WTF is this stuff? - Pat
Dishwasher? I'm the washing up fairy in this house and that's the way it will stay.

Nothing beats soaking arthritic hands in hot soapy water and with a good excuse to boot.

Thought it was going to be a good hands day yesterday so got outside early and did all the lawn with Seed, Feed and Weed, casting it by hand while trying to keep four cats off it. Then while I was in the mood I did all the drive, patio and paths with Pathclear in a sprayer.

By then it was cold and the hands were putting up a fight. I dropped one of the silly tubes in the sprayer and couldn't get it out (it's still there), tried to clear the nozzle and unscrewed it too far and couldn't find it in the gravel.

I thought I would do all the outside jobs before I went in for a shower to get warm and moving again but dropped the tub of fish food pellets all over the patio, then dropped the cat food dish with the left overs in, all over the kitchen floor when I was taking it up the garden for the hedgehog.

To top it off, I cooked dinner last night and forgot to put it in the oven.....it was still in the fridge!

That's why Mr PDA had time to post on the chain oil thread:)

My excuse, well I was up at 2.15 yesterday morning.

Pat
 WTF is this stuff? - madf
I am the dishwasher here.

Rinse Aid = gin.
 WTF is this stuff? - Dutchie
We have a dishwasher,Diana always wanted one she likes to be posh.>;)

Years back one of my jobs on the Queen Wilhelmina ferry from the Hook to Harwich.

My job was potwasher for some of the crew.Washing the plates in a bucket.After they had their dinner.I lasted about two weeks. I am not suited for slavery.
 WTF is this stuff? - Crankcase
You really want two dishwashers of course - take clean plates from DW1, use them, put into DW2 until full, wash, repeat back again. No faffing about with intermediate cupboards and general pickery upperyness or leaving about on surfaces.
 WTF is this stuff? - Dutchie
We, meaning me always give the plates and cups a quick rinse before they go in the dishwasher.40 minutes washing cycle.
 WTF is this stuff? - sooty123
Well you live and learn, I wouldn't have a clue what 'Rinse Aid' was before today.
 WTF is this stuff? - Ted

I can't remember using rinse aid or salt but our water is very pure up here. Stuff comes out as new...unless SWM's been packing it !

It really is a ' man thing '. It needs a good technical mind. My bride has no spacial awareness. If I dumped her somewhere unfamiliar, she wouldn't stand a chance of getting home.

Now there's a thought !

>> My bride has no spacial awareness. If I dumped her somewhere unfamiliar, she wouldn't stand a
>> chance of getting home.
>>

I've got one of them!
 WTF is this stuff? - Zero
I used to go out with a girl who had a degree in cartography, and was in charge of maps at the AA.

We separated after too many rows about her inability to map read. If we had sat nav in '79 my life might have been very different.
A small instant worktop dishwasher would be good . Just drop each item through the slot, and pick it up washed and dry.
Or a large dishwasher with auto-sorting facility. Stack the stuff inside as one would in the sink, and let it get on with it.

NB Not yet invented
>> A small instant worktop dishwasher would be good . Just drop each item through the
>> slot, and pick it up washed and dry.
>> Or a large dishwasher with auto-sorting facility. Stack the stuff inside as one would in
>> the sink, and let it get on with it.
>>
>> NB Not yet invented

Can you add the "put it all away in drawers and cupboards" feature?
 WTF is this stuff? - Roger.
We have had a dishwasher and a microwave in our various kitchens since 1979 and would not be without either.
I must admit it is my job to load the dishwasher to its best effect, now particularly important as it is a small machine in a small kitchen. Similarly our current microwave is small. Its a D shaped thing which is designed to huddle in a corner and looks rather like a small TV!
Our first microwave was an all dancing and all singing Panasonic, which was a major purchase in those far off days at something over 300 quid.(We did run a guest house for a period then).
I find even with a modern 3 in 1 dishwasher tablet, that rinse aid materially helps the ease of draining water off the washed items and thus improves their appearance.
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 21 Aug 14 at 13:02
 WTF is this stuff? - Focusless
Had a dishwasher for a couple of years now, but this is the first time I've heard of this stuff. Tempted to give it a go...
>> Had a dishwasher for a couple of years now, but this is the first time
>> I've heard of this stuff.

What rinse aid?

What do you think goes in that little round lidded compartment, specially when the "I WANT RINSE AID" light comes on.
 WTF is this stuff? - Focusless
>> >> Had a dishwasher for a couple of years now, but this is the first
>> time
>> >> I've heard of this stuff.
>>
>> What rinse aid?
>>
>> What do you think goes in that little round lidded compartment, specially when the "I
>> WANT RINSE AID" light comes on.

Er... only compartment I've noticed is the one where I put the tablet. Not sure it's got one of those lights. It's a fairly basic model, but I'll check the manual to see what I'm missing.
There's usually* another dispenser next to it where rinse aid goes - and it doesn't pop open of course. Salt goes in a compartment in the bottom of the dishwasher.

* I say usually, but that's where it's been on all dishwashers I've used.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 22 Aug 14 at 11:43
>>" rinse aid materially helps the ease of draining"
>>
>>

Says boffin-like man in white coat delicately holding a bottle of said stuff between one finger of each hand.
"It's a major contribution to kitchen hygiene" he said earnestly.
Well, damn! Herself showed me in the supermarket today discreet smallish bottles of yellow fluid clearly labelled Tesco Rinse Aid. Next to them was something more branded and elaborate which had the description Rinse Aid in the small script I mentioned upthread in what I thought was a joking way.

The Tesco stuff is less than half the price of the branded one. Probably won't be able to find either next time I try. Doh! Guh!
 WTF is this stuff? - Ambo
>>A small instant worktop dishwasher would be good

I don't know if it was instant, but entrepreneur John Bloom made a big splash, as it were, in the 1960s with a worktop dishwasher.
When our dishwasher died I suggested that I could attach a Dyson toaster shaped hand drier to the inside of the door under the kitchen sink. A quick swill in the sink and through the hand drier and on completion the door is shut and the drier is out of sight.

That she was less than impressed is an understatement. :)

I suspect that I am only in one piece because I found the required replacement was in stock locally and it fitted in the car.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 21 Aug 14 at 17:45
 WTF is this stuff? - bathtub tom
>>I find even with a modern 3 in 1 dishwasher tablet, that rinse aid materially helps the ease of draining water off the washed items and thus improves their appearance.

I fail to see how those 3 in 1s work. A dishwasher takes in and pumps out several loads of water in a cycle. The tablet only goes into one lot. There's probably two rinses after the tablet's gone through the machine. How can rinse aid in a tablet be effective in the final rinse?
Maybe the three parts of the dishwasher pill dissolve at different rates.
 WTF is this stuff? - Crankcase
Apparently you can make your own.

That's a bit far even for me.

happymoneysaver.com/homemade-dishwasher-detergent/
>> Apparently you can make your own.
>>
>> That's a bit far even for me.
>>
>> happymoneysaver.com/homemade-dishwasher-detergent/

Hmm yes, "get a life" seems to spring to mind.
 WTF is this stuff? - legacylad
Jeez. Get a dog.
Am I the only one here who let's their canine lick t'plates before sticking them in a washing up bowl?
At least I know where my dogs tongue has been. Unlike these EU bureaucrats who would probably stop his enjoyment given half a chance.
>> Jeez. Get a dog.
>> Am I the only one here who let's their canine lick t'plates before sticking them
>> in a washing up bowl?
>> At least I know where my dogs tongue has been. Unlike these EU bureaucrats who
>> would probably stop his enjoyment given half a chance.

Fed up with cleaning the kitchen floor, I have a new mop dog arriving next week.
 WTF is this stuff? - Mike Hannon
Yet another thread that has left me scratching my head. I do not (and never will) have a space-wasting, energy-wasting, environmentally unfriendly washing-up machine. I do, however, have a life that I get on with after spending the odd ten minutes in intelligent conversation while doing the dishes.

>> that I get on with after spending the odd ten minutes in intelligent conversation while
>> doing the dishes.

"your turn to wash or mine?" "You wash I'll dry sweetheart I love the fluffy new dish cloth"

"Such lovely bubbles dear" "I love the aroma of our new pine scented dish washing liquid"

"Those pink marigolds go so well with your hair sweetheart"

Yeah right. Your luddite wail of protest from the dark gloomy pit of backwardness is futile.

WTF is this stuff? - Mike Hannon
Hahaha! You'd do well in our house.

Actually, the sun is shining here today. Just the job for drying the washing outside...
We've never had one either. Never had the space to fit one, so fridge, freezer and washing machine are higher up the list. Infact the tumble dryer has to go on the worktop. Not dead set against one, but everywhere we've been it's the same, so never thought about getting one.
 WTF is this stuff? - VxFan
>> We've never had one either.

Same answer from me as last time.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=16031&m=360385

Dishwashers must be one of the most divisive inventions of mankind, rivaling even religion.
There are only extremists.

Was there ever a time when people felt similarly strongly about washing machines, vacuum cleaners, cars? Did they post "WTF is car polish" or a "hoover bag"?
 WTF is this stuff? - CGNorwich
"Dishwashers must be one of the most divisive inventions of mankind, rivaling even religion.
There are only extremists"

The pro-dishwashers are riven with different factions. The Bosch party are the most fanatical.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 22 Aug 14 at 17:57
 WTF is this stuff? - commerdriver
>> Fed up with cleaning the kitchen floor, I have a new mop dog
>> arriving next week.
>>
Go on tell us more
Up here in sunny, well almost, at least it is dry today, we get brand new, unrecycled, crystal clear water that causes no scale, and does not require rise aid or salt in dishwashers (or anything else). :)
>> Up here in sunny, well almost, at least it is dry today, we get brand
>> new, unrecycled, crystal clear water that causes no scale, and does not require rise aid
>> or salt in dishwashers (or anything else). :)
>>
naturally recycled is probably closer than unrecycled, but it is definitely one of the things you miss having moved south (along with scotch pies, irn bru, and the Sunday Post) :-)
Last edited by: commerdriver on Fri 22 Aug 14 at 12:52
I find it surprising how often we are asked to bring Haggis when we visit friends around the world. I can't stand the stuff.
Especially as you can make it at home, which tastes better anyway
>> >> Fed up with cleaning the kitchen floor, I have a new mop
>> dog
>> >> arriving next week.
>> >>
>> Go on tell us more

Fifi Mk11 arrives in the first week in September. A two year old girl Golden Retriever
 WTF is this stuff? - Pat
Can we pick a name for her?

Pat
>> Can we pick a name for her?
>>
>> Pat
>>

Unusual name for a dog.
 WTF is this stuff? - Duncan
>> Unusual name for a dog.
>>

No. It's what you are supposed to do to the dog.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 22 Aug 14 at 23:15
 WTF is this stuff? - Bromptonaut

>> >>
>> >> Pat
>> >>
>>
>> Unusual name for a dog.

Wasn't the dog in one of the primary school readers called Pat?

A Setter in the Ladybird series IIRC.
>> Can we pick a name for her?
>>
>> Pat

It has a forum name. FiFi.
 WTF is this stuff? - Duncan
>>Fifi Mk11 arrives in the first week in September. A two year old girl Golden Retriever
>>

You are too old and unfit to give a dog the proper exercise that it needs.
>> >>Fifi Mk11 arrives in the first week in September. A two year old girl Golden
>> Retriever
>> >>
>>
>> You are too old and unfit to give a dog the proper exercise that it
>> needs.

I have a "chuck-it" stick. It, or I can propel a ball about 100 metres, so thats 200 metres there and back. Do that 5 times and the dog has run 1KM, while I haven't.
 WTF is this stuff? - Pat
I mean a proper name, not a forum name.

She should be Moss or Floss.

Pat
>> I mean a proper name, not a forum name.
>>
>> She should be Moss or Floss.
>>
>> Pat
It has a proper name too, and its not Moss Floss. She said you can call her Princess Paws.
 WTF is this stuff? - Pat
>>She said you can call her Princess Paws<<

Did she say I can have a wet sloppy cuddle?

Pat
>> >>She said you can call her Princess Paws<<
>>
>> Did she say I can have a wet sloppy cuddle?
>>
>> Pat

Oh yes.
You got one of those plastic ball throwing toys?
a Chuck-it-Stick.

A real one, the fake ones don't have the right springiness in the handle. And a solid rubber ball, not a tennis ball.

The combination of the two, with an experienced chucker means a really long distance. Got about 250 yards on a hard beach once if you include bounce and roll.

>> Got about 250 yards on a hard beach once if you include bounce and roll.

228 metres then. So do that 5 times and it's over 2km for the dog :-)

>>
>> 228 metres then. So do that 5 times and it's over 2km for the dog
>> :-)
>>

I always knew dogs were stupid. A cat would just wait curled up asleep until you had finished your silly games on the beach and went home to feed it.
Yeah, thats why I would never feed the lazy chat
 WTF is this stuff? - Pat
Not mine.

I had this at 1.45 am today.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiAQkkLy1E

Pat
 WTF is this stuff? - Skip
>> I had this at 1.45 am today.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiAQkkLy1E
>>
>> Pat

Apart from the baseball bat that is pretty much what I got at 05.30 today Pat. They are both now fast asleep in the sun !
 WTF is this stuff? - Pat
I have one still out hunting in the field, two stalking the molehill in the lawn and one still in bed:)

To be fair, she has an excuse, she is almost 20 years old now and very frail, but happy. We know that day can't be far away though.

Dead mouse count for today is two!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts