Non-motoring > Reading - Britain's third most generous town Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 24

Reading - Britain's third most generous town - Alanovich
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28870779

No sign of our dear neighbours in Henley-on-Thames in that list, times must be hard up north. Surprised to see some Surrey skinflints on there though, must be the geriatrics getting chugged I suppose.

;-)
 Reading - Britain's third most generous town - Zero

>> No sign of our dear neighbours in Henley-on-Thames in that list,

I'm not sure it is a chip after all, I am beginning to suspect an inferiority complex.
Ah, Z. Thought you understood smilies. Hey ho.

:-)

(I've been thinking of downsizing and getting a place in Henley lately, but the chuffer service just isn't up to snuff compared to what we have, and are about to have with Crossrail et al.)
>> Ah, Z. Thought you understood smilies. Hey ho.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> (I've been thinking of downsizing and getting a place in Henley lately, but the chuffer
>> service just isn't up to snuff compared to what we have, and are about to
>> have with Crossrail et al.)

Here is a plan. Stay in Reading this year, you get see Fulham at the Madejski, then save up and plan your move to nicer areas, say Maidenhead. Fulham will be in conference south by then.
 Reading - Britain's third most generous town - Duncan
>> Here is a plan. Stay in Reading this year, you get see Fulham at the
>> Madejski,

and London Irish!
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 21 Aug 14 at 23:04
>> Here is a plan. Stay in Reading this year, you get see Fulham at the
>> Madejski, then save up and plan your move to nicer areas, say Maidenhead. Fulham will
>> be in conference south by then.
>>

Nice idea, but Maidenhead (dullest town in the galaxy) will be in the Combined Counties hopefully (Windsor FC is my non-league club). ;-)

The "save up" thing is a bit of a mis-understanding on your part - the better areas of Reading are nowadays comparable pricewise with Henley and Maidenhead and the rest, due to the railway service mostly. The town's unrecognisable from the dive it undoubtedly was when I moved here 20 years ago.
 Reading - Britain's third most generous town - commerdriver
Do you think Justgiving realised Henley is different given that they have a Reading postcode.
The population figure from ONS is probably correct, my guess is that the donations are probably from all RG postcodes
:-)
Oh I'm sure the media wouldn't be so amateurish as to not check out its facts before publishing, cd.............
 Reading - Britain's third most generous town - Kevin
>Do you think Justgiving realised Henley is different given that they have a Reading postcode.

The RG postcode covers much more desireable, exclusive, wealthy, generous and sophisticated areas of the country than Reading and Henley.

Basingstoke for example.
And now one of our suburbs is in the top 5 desirable places to live in England.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28918709
>> And now one of our suburbs is in the top 5 desirable places to live
>> in England.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28918709

You wil note "Affordability" comes into that. IE for cheapskates.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 26 Aug 14 at 15:01
So we're the second-hand Mitsubishi Lancer of towns, is that what you're saying?
We are both in second hand japanese car lands, although people over your side of the river are slower to learn the "don't buy french" lesson.
Or just younger.

But the river: Berks, Surrey. Which river divides those two counties?
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 26 Aug 14 at 15:27
You are assuming counties. I don't have an inferiority complex about some parts of Berkshire.....
No need for an inferiority complex here either when we're in the top 5 desirable places to live. Quite the opposite, really. Don't know why you insist on thinking otherwise.
>> No need for an inferiority complex here either when we're in the top 5 desirable
>> places to live. Quite the opposite, really. Don't know why you insist on thinking otherwise.

I dont. I'm not the one with an inferiority complex where I have to keep bigging up where I live and running down the more expensive areas.

Oh well, never mind, English obviously not your first language, and your need to attempt to turn even an obvious harmless little bit of fun (replete with relevant smilies and self-deprecation) into a slanging match defeats all.

You win. Well done. Virtual bun heading your way.
>>English obviously not your first language,

Seriously, you may say its self depreciating and jocular, but its not really. The sheer number of, and vehemence of your comments about other more expensive part of Berkshire, and trying to big up what is an average part of the thames valley is very revealing. As is your equal vehemence in denying it, even may i say, surprisingly for you, trying to insult me in a racist manner.

English not your first language indeed.
 Reading - Britain's third most generous town - Cliff Pope

>>
>> English not your first language indeed.
>>

"Big up" on the other hand is standard English, used by the Queen and Shakespeare.
 Reading - Britain's third most generous town - WillDeBeest
...other more expensive parts of Berkshire...

It's a part of South Oxfordshire that especially seems to put Apidae in our Vić's headgear. Wouldn't know; somewhere much sunnier at the moment.

>> a slanging match defeats all.

"Surprised to see some Surrey skinflints on there though, must be the geriatrics getting chugged I suppose"

You known damn well, and intended that to be, an invitation to a duel, slap in the face with gloves style

>> You win. Well done.

Thank you, I accept victory with appalling bad taste, grace and sportsmanship and will harp on about it Ad nauseam
>> You known damn well, and intended that to be, an invitation to a duel, slap
>> in the face with gloves style

You think what you like old fruitie, but the presence of the smilie in my post would indicate, to those who are not simply looking for an argument 24 hours a day, that it was meant in jest and a jocular response may be more appropriate than pistols at dawn.

You carry on though. Blimey, you could start an argument in an empty room. Talk about inferiority complex.
Talk
>> about inferiority complex.

You'll need this

www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson-Square-Socket-PY-Handle/dp/B0044TRW3G

your old one must worn to a frazzle
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 10:23
 Reading - Britain's third most generous town - Dutchie
We give stuff away and donations to some institutions.

To many people have to survive here on low wages they rely on free clothes.
Latest Forum Posts