Non-motoring > Are you a winner? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 24

Are you a winner? - Crankcase
Some people seem to win anything they look at, and some like me, never win a darned thing. I think the nearest I ever got was once getting my business card drawn from a hat at an IT exhibition and winning a boxed version of something crappy I didn't want.

A colleague however, always wins, including things like a flat screen tv, and always get at least five prizes in the staff raffle.

So, what's the best thing you ever won?

And whatever it is, it won't beat these, although there is one tragic story in there I don't envy at all of course.

www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/may/23/nine-biggest-las-vegas-jackpots/
 Are you a winner? - sooty123
Once won one of the first Sky systems in the UK, very few people had them. Apart from that nothing but the odd tenner on the lottery, which I don't play anymore.
 Are you a winner? - Zero
Nada, nothing, zilch. Never won a damn thing.

My mother on the other hand seems to make a 10% profit on lottery tickets and scratch cards.
 Are you a winner? - henry k
Quite a few years ago I won £1K on a scratch card.
Not an instant prize but three stars and your card goes in the raffle.
I was away on a business trip when SWMBO got a call asking if we ever visited the town where the ticket was purchased ?
A nice surprise when I got back from sunny climes.

One benefit from a duty trip to mother in law territory :-)
Actually that reminds me I won a £1000 on the works lottery. I was away and thought it was wind up, nice surprise.
 Are you a winner? - Ambo
£100 Premium Bond.
 Are you a winner? - Duncan
£1,000.00 on a Premium Bond. £50 to £100 most months on PBs.
You must have a lot in PB to get that each month?
>> You must have a lot in PB to get that each month?
>>

The maximum was raised a little while ago.
How much is it now?

Just looked £40,000.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 23 Aug 14 at 10:34
 Are you a winner? - Ambo
>> The maximum was raised a little while ago.
>>

The comparison between a lottery and the stock market is not entirely valid. However, assuming a Premium Bond average prize of £75 per month or £900 per year on the full allowance of £40K, the yield is 2.25% tax free. This is probably better than a cash ISA but not as good as my stocks and shares ISA, yielding 5.6%, also of course tax free.
>>The comparison between a lottery and the stock market is not entirely valid.
>>

Who wrote that?
 Are you a winner? - Falkirk Bairn
2 weeks holiday for 4 - well it was actually SWMBO who won. Tried many competitions for the next 6 months ...then gave up.

Apparently some competitions have many prizes and few entrants.

A person I know through work had a sister who is a "professional compo player"- in 5 years she had won 2 cars, several holidays abroad and 00's of smaller prizes. Sells of the new, but unwanted items, on ebay. Dozens of compos per week.

"Annual income" over 5+yrs was around £10,000 per year
>>
>> "Annual income" over 5+yrs was around £10,000 per year
>>

Isn't prize money free of income tax?
 Are you a winner? - Falkirk Bairn
Tax free "earnings"
 Are you a winner? - Mike H
I won a year's supply of wine from the Daily Telegraph a few years ago - it actually consisted of a total of four cases, one delivered each quarter. I think a total of ten people won. Not what I'd call a year's supply, but better than nothing ;-)
 Are you a winner? - Alastairw
Not long after I joined twitter I retweeted a competition entry, and didn't think any more of it. Three weeks later, and much to my surprise, a nice man from Hornby contacted to ask where to send my trainset. It was quite a basic set, but more than enough to rekindle the railway modeling hobby for me -must have spent hundreds since.
 Are you a winner? - Ted
It was quite a basic set,
>> but more than enough to rekindle therailway modeling hobby for me -must have spent
>> hundreds since.
>>

Tell me about it ! Another little gem from Bachmann in my sights now !

We won second prize in the local hospice draw. The week I left work after my first coronary. Funds were tight and a cheque for £600 dropped through the letterbox.

I won 1st prize in the lottery of life when I was born an Englishman !
 Are you a winner? - spamcan61
Back in the mid eighties I won a Party Four of Ruddles County in a raffle at a gig, that's about it for me!
 Are you a winner? - smokie
Five numbers on the lottery in it's early days. One of a syndicate of 13, we got about £300 each - it was a particularly good week!
 Are you a winner? - mikeyb
I won a toy car in a treasure hunt when I was about 10, not sure much since then.

We have a staff welfare club draw type thing. Never won a thing in 15 years, but a colleague won the car twice. Quite annoying, but he's a nice guy
 Are you a winner? - Roger.

>> I won 1st prize in the lottery of life when I was born an Englishman !>>
Yes, indeed!
 Are you a winner? - Ted
A few years ago, at a club dinner, there was always a raffle in aid of charity. Probably a dozen-ish prizes donated by the diners.

I just kept getting my numbers drawn.......about 7 in all. I took one prize then had all the numbers re-drawn again.

If I hadn't.....they would have thought it was a fiddle and nailed my head to the floor !

It was a bikers meeting !
 Are you a winner? - Westpig
>> I won 1st prize in the lottery of life when I was born an
>> Englishman !>>

I was thinking along those lines as well.... when you think what some people in the world have to put up with... and watching Brian Blessed's 'Who do you think you are' last night, nicely highlights how advantageous it is to be born here nowadays and not in the distant past.

Are you a winner? - MD
Powerwasher. I already had one!!
Latest Forum Posts