Non-motoring > Garmin Etrex Hand Held GPS Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 6

Garmin Etrex Hand Held GPS - Duncan
I have one of the above and it won't work.

When I power on, the word 'etrex' flashes briefly and then the screen goes black except for a small light coloured border around the outside of the screen, I have Googled and tried a few reset procedures - to no effect.

This is the basic model. All it says on it is Garmin Etrex 12 channel GPS, the owner's manual call it a 'personal navigator.

I also have another Garmin, that is an Etrex Legend, which works fine.

Any ideas please?
 Garmin Etrex Hand Held GPS - Zero

>> Any ideas please?

Its broke.
 Garmin Etrex Hand Held GPS - Focusless
>> Any ideas please?

Can you do a software update on it?
 Garmin Etrex Hand Held GPS - Manatee
Have you tried plugging it into your PC with the Garmin software loaded? If it can establish a connection then it should offer any updates.

A fairly long shot - the Garmin software is fairly flaky and very non-intuitive at the best of times.
I managed to make a connection to my PC. Nothing seems to happen with the Etrex.

If I connect my Legend, then that all seems to work ok.
 Garmin Etrex Hand Held GPS - Fursty Ferret
Can you get into the diagnostics menu if you hold the "up" and "page" keys and then press the "on/off" button?
No.

I think it has gone to the great satellite tracking station in the sky. It's sad, but it comes to all of us.

R.I.P.

I will place it in the Chapel of Rest for a decent period of time, just in case someone comes up with a solution. Then it will be despatched with the other landfill stuff on a Wednesday morning.

I bought it from a friend who was having a clear out of carp in his house. It cost me very little and all the money went to Macmillan Nurses.

I still have my Garmin Etrex Legend, which works fine.

Thank you all for the various suggestions.
Latest Forum Posts