Non-motoring > Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 13

Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - henry k
I got a text this morning advising me of a delivery of a parcel via DPD and that I could track it
So at 09:30 my courier ( by name ) had started in my area.
I am # 107 on his trip today and I should expect delivery 17:11 - 18:11
He has just delivered # 77 and is still on schedule.
All very interesting for me but I now understand why these white van men park anywhere and run. Thats a lot of deliveries per day.

The parcel is from EE (Orange). Perhaps it is my box / amplifier to boost the signal at home ?

We have had no/ little signal for several months.
After a blast at them they said I could have booster box -7 days to deliver.
After a further blast they said they would speed things up.
It has yet to arrive!!!!
They also said signal would be back to strength in September

Well dear Orange you have exceeded one promise and the signal strength is now back at max a whole week early !

If it is my box to boost the signal then that is a fantastic delivery performance NOT.
The delivery item originated in Birmingham so perhaps it is some cash or flowers or chocolates or....

Only two hours to go :-0
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - Zero
>> I got a text this morning advising me of a delivery of a parcel via
>> DPD and that I could track it

DPD is fabulous, those estimates are spot on and you can even see where he is on the map. I was 135th drop once, at 17:45

Thats a LOT of drops in a day.
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - John Boy
>> DPD is fabulous, those estimates are spot on and you can even see where he
>> is on the map. I was 135th drop once, at 17:45
>>
>> Thats a LOT of drops in a day.
>>
They must have improved a lot since my last PC was delivered two years ago. The tracking available at the time was pretty minimal. I was in on the day delivery was promised, but it didn't happen. Their website claimed that they had tried to deliver, but I was not in. It even said I'd have to pay for them to make a second attempt. I was really angry, but fortunately the PC supplier sorted it out.

I agree, though, that IS a lot of drops in a day - not conducive to good driving.
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - Pat
>> - not conducive to good driving<<

Rubbish, anyone who can sustain that amount of deliveries in a day, that amount of knowledge of postcodes and do it without constant accidents has my admiration.

A scratch here and there is to be expected.

Pat
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - Manatee
>> >> - not conducive to good driving<<
>>
>> Rubbish, anyone who can sustain that amount of deliveries in a day, that amount of
>> knowledge of postcodes and do it without constant accidents has my admiration.
>>
>> A scratch here and there is to be expected.
>>
>> Pat

You and John Boy seem to be in violent agreement - it's not conducive to good driving, so anybody who can cope with it does well.

DPD has improved a lot. I still have the phone number of the Dunstable depot from when they shoved a "you were out" card through the door while I was in the kitchen - I heard it fall on the mat, and the van was accelerating briskly away when I got there!
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - henry k
DPD computer is a bit slow today ? :-)
It said 104 being delivered as van with my 107 arrived.
10 mins after the start of the one hour window.
Very very impressed with their system.

As I guessed, I now have a signal booster box bringing brilliant 3G signal indoors !

It has to be plugged into my router so I assume that is my poorly performing Virgin router.

3G - I am still on a "steam phone " plus of course the original problem has been fixed but with their track record it will fail again soon.
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - rtj70
>> It has to be plugged into my router so I assume that is my poorly performing Virgin router.

Or a switch connected to the router. I assume you have a reliable Internet service to connect this 3G pico cell to.
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - mikeyb
I thought that most of these delivery drivers were paid per drop, so if you are out they don't get paid.

Lots of the vans around here are pretty battered, but judging by the way they are driven its no surprise. The Merc Sprinter now appears to be the van of choice and they do appear to shift. Cruising at 90 on the motorway appears to be common place. Must be a Merc commercial van thing as Mrs Bs Viano is more sprightly than you would expect
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - John Boy
You're right, Manatee, Pat and I are in violent agreement. As it happens, I did 4 years as a van driver in south London and Surrey. I was paid the same every day regardless of how long the deliveries took. In those circumstances, the temptation to put your foot down is very strong indeed. I calculated that I did about 50K miles in that time. They were without incident and I'm proud of that. Out of 10 drivers, only one other achieved the same.
Last edited by: John Boy on Tue 26 Aug 14 at 18:37
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - Fursty Ferret
>> You're right, Manatee, Pat and I are in violent agreement. As it happens, I did
>> 4 years as a van driver in south London and Surrey. I was paid the
>> same every day regardless of how long the deliveries took. In those circumstances, the temptation
>> to put your foot down is very strong indeed. I calculated that I did about
>> 50K miles in that time. They were without incident and I'm proud of that. Out
>> of 10 drivers, only one other achieved the same.
>>

Yep, DPD drivers have my admiration.

I did multi-drop for a year and quite enjoyed it. I was paid the same regardless of how many parcels I delivered, and once I figured out that it was sensible to sort all the parcels into labelled crates and plan a route on a map before setting off (photocopy + highlighters) I could get the job done 20% faster than other drivers, and with an hour off for lunch too. :-)

They had a good system of getting drivers into work early, too - if you weren't in the first ten to arrive you got assigned an LDV instead of a Transit.
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - Zero

>> They had a good system of getting drivers into work early, too - if you
>> weren't in the first ten to arrive you got assigned an LDV instead of a
>> Transit.

No need for forced redundancy either - I would guess several got killed in the early morning crush
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - Stuartli
>>Thats a LOT of drops in a day. >>

...and different properties in the main too, I would suggest. The collection and delivery logistics of the UK's many couriers almost defies belief.
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - Manatee
Waiting in today for a delivery of some coolant hoses for the MX5 after an underbonnet fountain experience last week. "Interlink Express" will deliver between 11.31 and 12.31. Currently Shahid is 5 miles away as the crow flies, with 32 deliveries to go before he gets to me.

My Dad, who died in 1992, would think this is science fiction. I'm quite impressed myself.

Makes me wonder what is going to impress today's youngsters, most of whom will take GPS, cellular radio, the world wide web as a given without even having to know what they are.

Interlink Express seems to be a brand of the DPD family.
 Tracking a DPD courier delivery. & EE/ service - legacylad
I rang & ordered from Screwfix at 6pm Tuesday evening. It was delivered to my place of work at 10.30 the following day, then at 10.40 Parcelforce sent me a text to say it would be delivered in the next 90 mins.
Very impressed all round.
Latest Forum Posts