Non-motoring > Virgin Tivo Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 10

Virgin Tivo - BobbyG
Got this a couple of weeks ago but just got round to setting it up tonight.

Very impressed with the Youtube function where I can scroll through on Youtube on my phone or PC and queue the songs to play on the TV through Tivo!

Will keep me occupied on many a night so it will!

Quick question, Tivo is obviously connected direct to the cable coming into house but does it also need a cable to run to the Superhub to take advantage of the various Apple supported watch elsewhere type things??
 Virgin Tivo - Alastairw
Yes, TiVo needs a cable to the superhub. You will then be able to pause TV from the app. You should already be able to use the app for setting recordings.

I have had the TiVo for about two years now, and love the way it remembers what you like and records stuff without needing to be asked.
 Virgin Tivo - smokie
Are you sure? I don't try using any apps with the TiVo but I thought the only function for the network port was when you have more than one TiVo so you can watch on one something recorded on the other. The last time I tried that it restricted the available recordings to anything not from "terrestrial" channels, and I don't watch any others.
 Virgin Tivo - Tigger
I didn't have a cable between Tivo and superhub. Was able to use the app just fine.

One thing I particularly liked was that when you press record on a programme, it records from the beginning (as long as it was on that channel). Simply brilliant.

Not in a virgin area now, or we'd still be on tivo.
 Virgin Tivo - Crankcase
Still haven't got over the line to a TiVo from the ordinary Virgin box. I look at it every so often and realise it's going to cost me a chunk to get it, then more money a month, and apparently offer me nothing extra I want, be a bit slower, and remove something I do use (sending a queue of recordings out to a dvd whilst watching something else), as well as removing my optical sound out.

No thanks.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 20 Sep 14 at 07:37
 Virgin Tivo - Alastairw
I'm only going by what the new Virginmedia Anywhere app told me - apparently it needs a cable from the super hub for full functionality.
 Virgin Tivo - smokie
Yeah I had a look around and you may be right. As I said, not something I use.

The TiVo is mostly a good move from regular V+ but it is a pain not being able to "back up" recordings, not least cos if the box goers tits up they are likely to replace it, and you lose not only your recordings but also all the season pass and learned preferences info. I had a Series 1 TiVo (before Virgin got it) and while the box was a lot less capable, I could easily do these things, and much more, than I can on the locked down Virgin box. I still think it is a really good piece of kit with great functionality though.

Virgin are usually very good at "renegotiating" your deal at the end of your contract, they will give loyalty discounts and or freebies. Just call them and ask for retentions and ask them what they can do to improve your deal. Usually money off but people have got additional bits on their package for free.
 Virgin Tivo - Alastairw
Your not wrong on the deals Smokie. Currently on Big Cahuna 30 - the download speeds have been spectacular.
 Virgin Tivo - sooty123
I've thought about Virgin, only problem is actually getting it. I've never lived anywhere where it's been available. Seems it's only a few areas in the country?
 Virgin Tivo - Roger.
I have Freesat via a Humax Foxsat and while the reception & recording facility works well, the GUI is just terrible and the interaction between the remote and the box is pathetic - too slow and liable to jump all over the selections if one holds on to a button for longer than a millisecond!
Having seen how user friendly my daughter's SKY box is, I just wonder why Humax, so good in many areas, have up-cocked this element of their offering so spectacularly.
 Virgin Tivo - BobbyG
yeah reason I got the Tivo was that I took advantage of their £150 special offer for Sky Sports for 10 months.
Couldn't get it on my existing M+ TV package so had to upgrade my package which included getting a Tivo box. And as is often the case for Virgin, its actually working out £2 a month less!

Wasn't aware you could backup your recordings from the V+ box? That was one of my reluctances about doing this as I lost a good few recordings.

On the plus side, I was forced to bring the TV unit out, let the dog get all its old bones and toys that had went underneath it, hovered out a couple of years of dust and discovered that the Tivo box can take an optical in direct from my 5.1 Dolby surround system thingy. Maybe the V+ box could as well but I wasn't aware of it!

The Tivo seems to have some other ports on the back from memory - can you download from it?

Having said that most stuff is now available on Youtube, catch up or dodgy internet sites!
Latest Forum Posts