Non-motoring > The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 99

The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Westpig
Two days ago, I proved I am now a faffing old 51 year old... by managing to drop an envelope in a local car park, whilst digging money out of a pocket for the parking machine.

The envelope contained £110.

Being Mr Pedantic I reported the loss via the Devon and Cornwall Police website, but in reality thought it was a hopeless lost cause.

...... and today got a phone call from the local police saying someone had handed it in.

All of it.

....and they wished to remain anonymous, so I cannot even thank them... or slip them something as a thank you.

There are nice people out there.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Armel Coussine
>> There are nice people out there

... surprising as it may seem to a wicked old copper used to the company of toerags...

:o}
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - zippy
My Ex lost her silver watch 2 weeks ago whilst walking past the local comprehensive at school starting time.

She popped in later in the day to see if anyone had handed it in and a young girl had.

A reward was offered but refused. The school has their own good behaviour reward scheme and had already given some "points" to the youngster. Apparently the points can be used to buy CDs, trips etc.

In contrast....

In February I found a working iPhone just in the road whilst out for a Sunday stroll.

Thought that after the walk I would pop up to the local police station to hand it in and headed of to a café. On the way, two policemen exited a building. I stopped them and handed them the phone, explaining that I had just found it around the corner and asked if they could hand it in to lost property at the station.

I checked later in the day to see if it had been handed in and it had not. The officer in charge of lost property got back to me some 3 weeks later advising that no iPhone had been handed in. I wish I had made a note of that policeman's number.

The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Crankcase
Which? The one you gave it to or the one who told you it wasnt there?
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - sherlock47
A few years ago I attempted to hand an up market phone in to a local police station, (on the basis that if it was not claimed I would inherit it legally).

Was told it was local? policy that they did not accept phones - it would just be destroyed if not claimed in a very short period.

I then went to some efforts in getting it back to the original owner.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - bathtub tom
I told my doctor I only drank one bottle of wine, two pints of beer and half a bottle of whisky a week.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Haywain
Several years ago, I found a Blackberry (not the fruit) in Ikea at Lakeside; I handed it in, but have no idea if it ever found its rightful owner.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Runfer D'Hills
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6dmhF1rqaZk
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Duncan
On a Premiership Rugby Club forum that I frequent, a poster reported that he had found an iPad on a train on the way to the last home game. He was surprised that no one had claimed and was quite pleased at the thought that he might have acquired an iPad. When I suggested that said iPad should be handed in, he seemed to think that that was a strange idea.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Crankcase
There were a couple of incidents a year or two back where cashpoints were handing out money in error.

It was as astonishing to me that people would happily not only queue to get money from them for free, and be photographed for the papers doing so, as it clearly was to them that they shouldn't be doing it.

It was even more astonishing to me that the banks later wrote off the cash. It just seemed obvious it was theft, pure and simple, and there were pictures of the thieves in the act, but I appeared to be alone in that odd conception.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 26 Sep 14 at 20:54
>> There were a couple of incidents a year or two back where cashpoints were handing
>> out money in error.
>>
>> It was as astonishing to me that people would happily not only queue to get
>> money from them for free, and be photographed for the papers doing so, as it
>> clearly was to them that they shouldn't be doing it.
>>
>> It was even more astonishing to me that the banks later wrote off the cash.
>> It just seemed obvious it was theft, pure and simple, and there were pictures of
>> the thieves in the act, but I appeared to be alone in that odd conception.
>>
>>
>>

I remember being astonished by it as well. The papers did not appear to have a critical tone either.

Of course going to the cash point and taking out money which is doubled in error by the bank is not an offence.

What is an offence is doing it knowingly or keeping the proceeds once realised.

This happened with Tesco a few years ago. A customer realised that they could use a money off voucher many times and got weeks of free shopping. Tesco referred the matter to the police who prosecuted.

I suspect that proving that the withdrawers had knowledge that they were being paid double and the CPS probably thought that getting a conviction was going to be difficult.

Nevertheless, as someone who also thinks what these people did was theft, pure and simple, I would have liked to have seen some prosecutions.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Avant
They'd have found it difficult to get convictions. People would hire clever lawyers who would prove that the machine offered the cash and they accepted the offer.

Forgive me for not being astonished.... Although semi-retired, I still lecture on fraud and money laundering, and the latest estimate is that each year in the UK alone £52 billion of fraud is committed - only about £2 bn of which ever comes to court. That's over £1,000 for each adult, each year.

But it's good to know the instances of honesty, and there are plenty of them around which (like most good news) don't get reported. It happened to me a few months ago: my credit card wallet had fallen out of my pocket when boarding a train at Paddington, and it was handed in to the train manager.

The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - John Boy
This happened about 15 years ago when I lived in Walthamstow. I drove out into Essex to take photos and stopped at a pub on the way back for something to eat.

When I arrived home I realised I'd left several hundred pounds worth of camera equipment in an old army bag on the floor of the pub. I knew the name of the pub (a very common one), but not where it was in Essex. I wasn't conversant with web searches at the time, so I went to the police station to ask for suggestions about what I should do. It was Saturday night and there was just one copper on duty. I was expecting short shrift, but he asked me to wait and disappeared into a back room.

When he came back he told me where the pub was, that my cameras etc had been handed in to the bar and they'd be looked after until I could go back to collect them. Full marks to Honest Joe public and helpful copper.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - legacylad
Several weeks ago my police friend told me that a local couple had found a handbag, opened it up to find some money in it. In excess of £4000 I kid you not. The couple who found it are on benefits, and it took him 30 minutes to count it at the police station. The handbag and contents were reunited with the old lady who had mislaid it, whilst on a coach tour I think. They received no thanks from the old lady or a penny as reward. Obviously a nutter carrying that much around, but disgusting that they did not receive any sort of thanks.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Mike Hannon
My friend, the sort of schoolteacher who unthinkingly sets a good example, recently picked up a wallet stuffed with cash and cards on a pavement in Limoges. She handed it in and it was quickly claimed by the owner. She didn't get a word of acknowledgement or thanks. There's good and bad everywhere.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Dutchie
Because you don't receive a thank you does not mean the person is bad.I picked up a expensive mobile phone left on a bench.The phone got back to its owner not a thanks.

Just the way some people are.Thoughtless.>:)
I once left some camera equipment up near Fort William. It was handed in to local plod, who wouldn't tell me who found it, but were willing to pass on a note of thanks and a cheque for 10% of its value.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Alastairw
Did you have to make the cheque out to Mr C Ash by any chance?
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Mike Hannon
>>Because you don't receive a thank you does not mean the person is bad<<

It does in my book.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Mapmaker
>> >>Because you don't receive a thank you does not mean the person is bad<<
>>
>> It does in my book.
>>

But if you only do something purely for the expectation of being thanked makes you just as bad, doesn't it?
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Fullchat
No

But by reuniting someone with their lost property generally involves putting yourself to some trouble/time/minor expense, then a simple thank you is a common courtesy in recognition of that fact.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 29 Sep 14 at 10:36
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - TheManWithNoName
Two days ago I found some money in a local car park. £110 it was. Tried spending it but was told they were all forgeries, so legged it to the nearest police station and handed it in...
;-)
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - wokingham
This year I have managed to leave an iphone in a shopping trolley, handed in to Customer Services. No details left so no reward possible but I put money into their Air Ambulance appeal. I also took off an expensive leather coat and put it in a train overhead luggage rack, handed in, presumably by train crew, and recovered via a day trip to Gloucester station lost- property. Well pleased!
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Zero
>> This year I have managed to leave an iphone in a shopping trolley, handed in
>> to Customer Services. No details left so no reward possible but I put money into
>> their Air Ambulance appeal. I also took off an expensive leather coat and put it
>> in a train overhead luggage rack, handed in, presumably by train crew, and recovered via
>> a day trip to Gloucester station lost- property. Well pleased!

Could you let us know your travel plans for the rest of the year please?
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Lygonos
The Mrs dropped £80 a couple of years ago and only realised when she got home.

Thought it likely she dropped it in a shopping centre so contacted the management who advised her to call the Feds.

Called said Police office in Livingston who confirmed £80 cash had been handed in earlier in the day.

Picked the money up - the desk officer advised they had the finder's name/address and asked if we wished to reward them for handing the money in, to which the Mrs offered £20.

Of course now I wonder about the honesty of the average policeman.....

;-)
Herself has an agreeably foxy look. Some years back I spotted a small gold pin with a very finely detailed fox's head and little diamond eyes on a stall in the Beller, and having a bit of spare cash bought it for her. Some time later she lost it. The whole thing was gold including the pin which didn't fit very far into its fastening place, having got a bit bent.

She thought she might have dropped it in an Asian newsagent near the corner of the Grove and Holland Park Avenue. The next day I called at the shop and they produced it. They were very pleased to be able to give it back, giggling: 'The lovely fox! She is lucky! Tee hee!' I had a go at straightening the pin, and up to now so far so good.

Human nature definitely has a good side. There was no way of compensating the shop owners materially (they are almost certainly far richer than I am) except by going there as often as possible to buy things. They weren't just honest, they were sweet and charming as well.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Mike H
I lost my digital camera a couple of years ago in northern Italy. It wasn't in the first flush of youth, but was (and is) a cracking camera. I didn't discover its loss until I was halfway up a mountain on a cable car. The next morning I went to the local town hall, where the lost and found office was, to see if anyone had handed it in. Luckily it was there, and I was asked its value. On querying this, I was told that it was "customary" to pay a percentage of its value when reclaiming it, to be passed on to the finder as a reward. Luckily I had the presence of mind to declare its depreciated value rather than its new price! €10 was a small price to pay for getting it back.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - stan10
My history of "lost and found",

In my late teens i was gobsmacked to see a £10 note lying on the pavement (beer was just over one shilling a pint), can't remember what i spent it on (but that's probably a clue !)

In my early 20's i found a wallet stuffed with the usual (including cash), handed it in to the local police station, didn't expect a reward, and didn't hear anything more, no prob.

In my 30's i found a credit card, posted it off to the cc company, heard nothing, no prob.

Two years ago i lost my keys (my house, my car, my van, my garage, my mate's house !!) when walking our dogs in the local forest, next day i bumped into a guy i had met before, and mentioned my loss, he asked if my car was a ****, i said "my car isn't, but my van is.."

He had found them and semi-hidden them near a parked car of the same make, thinking that they belonged, and left a note on the car's windscreen. He took me to where he had left them (different entrance to the one i used) and they were still there !

Two weeks ago i was walking dog round the local pond, and found a pile of loose change on the ground, mostly 20p's, picked it up, counted it, (£2.20) finished walk, went to supermarket, and on the way out i put my loose (small) change in the "Guide Dogs for the Blind" doggie (as usual) and then added another £2.20.

If i found a £50 note on the floor tomorrow would i put it in the charity box ? - honestly - ? ...'' I will let you know, - promise, (if it happens) !!!
Seemingly brand new £20 found rolled up in a pub's loos one lunch time in Brighton.

Went right in to the charity box on the bar.

I believe in Karma!
>> Seemingly brand new £20 found rolled up in a pub's loos one lunch time in
>> Brighton.

They say that 50% of all £20 notes in circulation would send a drug sniffer dog crazy!
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - henry k
>> >> Seemingly brand new £20 found rolled up in a pub's loos one lunch time in Brighton.
>>
>> They say that 50% of all £20 notes in circulation would send a drug sniffer dog crazy!
>>
Soon be able to pop the notes in the washing machine :-)
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - CGNorwich

>> >>
>> Soon be able to pop the notes in the washing machine :-)
>>

Having just returned from Canada in my wallet I have two $10 notes. One the old paper and one the new plastic type

I have to say that the new plastic note is difficult to roll into a small tube and has a propensity to unfurl due to its inherent springiness. I fear its washability will be little compensation for some. :-)
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Ted
I fnd a fair amount of stuff in the hire cars I look after. We have a found property cupboard at the office in Leeds but I keep the stuff I find at home as most of ' my ' customers are local. A note is put on that particular car's ' timeline ' at the office.

Surprisingly few people claim things. A couple have contacted us before we've re-rented the car out and I've gone out to find the stuff and bring it home. A wallet full of CCs was the most important thing and a small camera was also reported and collected from me.

Find lots of umbrellas and pens. I found half a walkie-talkie with a big whiplash aerial once. It crackled when switched on but no-one spoke to me and it never was claimed. A big gold framed mirror, the size of the back seat was in a car I took for service. That was never claimed either and went to the charity shop after 6 months in the garage here.

Currently, I have a ring of about 8 keys left in the centre bin of on of the Toyotas....you'd think the last driver before me would have claimed them but, in spite of the office trying to phone him, he hasn't. It must be hassle to replace all those keys.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - neiltoo
>> Soon be able to pop the notes in the washing machine :-)
>

That's not money laundering then?

I'll get my coat

8o)>
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Bromptonaut
My turn to be finder today.

Returning to my car after first day at new office (volunteer) I spotted a ladies purse/wallet on ground alongside a red Ka parked next to the 'lingo. Picked it up and identified owners name from cards etc within but couldn't immediately take it to lost property as the pay on foot clock was ticking. So a quick exit and orbit round the block to return to recently vacated space - fortunately no restriction on return and the first two hours are free.

Handed it in at shopping centre manager's office providing details of where found etc. Got back to find the Ka was occupied and ready to leave. Tapped on window and after a momentary reluctance to engage (she probably thought I was going to allege damage to my car!!) the lady wound down window. Asked if she was Mrs L****** - she was and didn't even know she'd lost anything. Quite grateful then.

She was last seen scurrying towards the lift with a surprising turn of speed for a lady probably in her seventies.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - No FM2R
Walking along the beach the other day, early evening, with the girls we found a smart phone. About 10 paces further we found a set of house keys. About another 5 paces and we found some car keys (Lexus, which are expensive here). And then finally a wallet with cards, money and stuff including an ID card. (losing one of those, not good news).

When we found the stuff we were nowhere near any buildings or people. By the time I was digging into the wallet we were passing a beach bar. Lo and behold I am looking at an ID card and what is clearly the ID card owner sat at a table.

He was stunned and very grateful as I handed him his phone. His wife was also pleased but a little disapproving that he had dropped it. As I handed over the various bits and bobs he got more and more grateful and she was giving him darker and darker looks. The keys just about finished her off; they were about 50 miles from home and would have had no transport, communication money or ID.

We refused any reward, accepted the thanks and wandered on our way with the sound of his wife handing out a real ear-bashing. I almost felt guilty.

He caught us up about 10 minutes later and took the girls into an ice cream shop and bought them a huge ice cream each, which was nice.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - MD
How can anyone lose that much stuff Mark and not notice? Odd, Y/N.
>> How can anyone lose that much stuff Mark and not notice? Odd, Y/N.

I thought that too. Lost wallet or keys from a shallow pocket in past but not both AND other stuff as well. Maybe 'manbags' are still de-rigueur in Brazil and this one was upside down and unzipped?
I was convinced this tale was going to end John Stalker or Reginald Perrin style.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - neiltoo
>> I was convinced this tale was going to end John Stalker or Reginald Perrin style.
>>
>>
Stonehouse?
>> >> I was convinced this tale was going to end John Stalker or Reginald Perrin
>> style.
>> >>
>> >>
>> Stonehouse?

Yes Stonehouse, Thank you.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - R.P.
I went out with the dogs this morning. Unusually I wasn't in mufti unusually but wearing a work fleece which has very shallow pockets. Also unusually I disconnected my semi moron work phone from its charger and put in the pocket....whilst I was out one of the dogs dropped a curly and in the dark hanging on to two dogs I had to open my pocket. I noticed half hour later that I didn't have my phone....had a quick look and a drive round my route phoning it in vain and trying to link the bluetooth from the car's system.....

Anyway I decided it was lost and went to work as I was on a deadline and time was running out.

2 hours and fifty miles later I met up with my volunteer colleague - "Have you lost your phone ?" - turns out the phone had been picked up by a villager who'd tried to phone me (phone off) and then phoned him as the next in my call list.

Picked it up tonight- very thankful.

Wife suggested I took them a bottle of wine....I haven't as what they did was basic humanity/community think....who thinks I should have...?
Should 'do' Sir. Yes and make it a decent one too.
I do too.
Inclined to agree with MD.

>> 2 hours and fifty miles later I met up with my volunteer colleague

My volunteer role from today is similar; trainee Gateway Adviser.

IIRC though CAB Wales is, like a bit like Welsh devolution, separate from England but not as separate as Scotland!
Telephone or face to face Bromp ? It is Wales is a separate entity..I occasionally used to speak to Bureaux over the border....the telephone helpline is very advanced in Wales....I volunteered for a while but became paid staff...on a five year project now - it'll do for now !
>> Telephone or face to face Bromp ?

Face to face, which is a slightly sore subject.

I expressed a strong preference at interview for telephone. One driver for volunteering was entirely unsolicited observations from former CS colleagues about my handling of the many 'ad hoc' phone inquires the quango got in its sunset period because of quirks in parent department's website.

For some reason the the guidance tutor has allocated people who I surmise, for reasons that that involve my assumptions about surnames and nationality/ethnicity, are students from the local 'polyversity' (pinching NC's nomenclature) to the telephone team.

It may of course be that those who are not students are all well over 50 and are likely perceived to have more gravitas F2F.
 CAB & Bromp. - R.P.
Best of luck with PETRA, volunteers are the backbone of the service...They do 90% of our face to face advice....(I've had to pitch in last few weeks). Been out three days on the trot this and last week.

CAB & Bromp. - Runfer D'Hills
Try immodium
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - sooty123
they did was basic humanity/community think....who thinks I should have...?
>>

i think it's basic humanity/community to offer something as well, helps keep things in the natural order. So to speak.
>> Wife suggested I took them a bottle of wine....I haven't as what they did was
>> basic humanity/community think....who thinks I should have...?

Would you have been delighted if someone had given you a bottle of wine you were not expecting?

Yes exactly. Especially as you had taken some effort and ingenuity to get it reunited with owner.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 11 Nov 14 at 20:47
Listening to leftiie radio has had a bad effect on me...I will find a bottle of wine !
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Skip
You tight git Rob ! :-)
He has become a bit Welsh hasn't he?

;-)
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Skip
Owning a Volvo he must have had a bag of Whethers Originals in the car he could have given them !
Or a cushion.
Honesty...schmonesty ! Some scrotal tossoir ripped off me dashcam the night before last and had it away with it's lead and about 70p in cash !

My fault...I hadn't locked the car so the alarm wasn't on. Actually, it's SWM's fault. We arrived home in the afternoon with the shopping and she took the keys off me to get in the house as I unloaded. Then she put them in her coat pocket and I thought no more about them until the following morning.

New dashcam ordered within the hour...same model, now a quid cheaper at £10.50. At that price, I might get one for the back as well.

Grrrrrs all round.
Last edited by: Ted on Tue 11 Nov 14 at 23:19
>>New dashcam ordered within the hour.

Sorry to drift.....

After my accident earlier this year, (adjourned again, BTW) I have been considering getting one. Considering as in umming and ahhing on a weekly basis everytime I pass a relevant shop window.

I've heard the [quite convincing] arguments for having one, but I wonder; has anyone here actually had an experience where they were glad they had one? Why/ what happened / etc?
>>has anyone here actually had an experience where they were glad they had one?

I'd just parked in a motorway service area when a LWB van tried to swing into the next space. Swiped my bumper. Driver denied touching my car until I asked "did you see the camera on my 'screen". He then reluctantly showed his insurance details - hired van, £1K excess.
Scratch polished out, but I made him sweat.

Ted. Where on earth did you find one for a tenner?
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - VxFan
>> Ted. Where on earth did you find one for a tenner?

Plenty on ebay and Amazon.

eg

www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Legend-HD-Vehicle-Recorder/dp/B005Q6CJI4

SD card sold separately, as in most cases when the recorders are as cheap as chips.
but I made him sweat.
>>
>> Ted. Where on earth did you find one for a tenner?
>> Amazon, Tubby. Only one left when I ordered but there were more of the same further down for £14. Free postage with mine as well...it's been despatched.

It's perfectly adequate for it's purpose. You need an SD card but I've got a few of them.

Not a massive upset if it's nicked.

www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Legend-HD-Vehicle-Recorder/dp/B005Q6CJI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415807829&sr=8-1&keywords=dash+cameras

Edit. Now £5.35. Just ordered another !
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - VxFan
>> Edit. Now £5.35. Just ordered another !

+ £3.98 shipping

Same one I linked to, btw ;)
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Manatee
>> I've heard the [quite convincing] arguments for having [a dashcam], but I wonder; has anyone here
>> actually had an experience where they were glad they had one? Why/ what happened /
>> etc?

We now have one in each of our two main cars. They have yet to save us from a false claim, but there have been a couple of interesting incidents.

A ped stepped into the road without looking back in August, on a busy street in Southwold with cars parked on both sides. No time to react usefully, and if she hadn't turned towards me at the last instant and stopped abruptly I would have hit her. I imagined the possible scenario, had that happened - suggestions that I was speeding, swerved and hit her, or whatever. The video showed that I was doing 11mph, and that my first opportunity to see her was when her foot appeared below the bumper of a parked X5 (so I couldn't see her head) 15 frames (exactly half a second) before I reached her.

TBH, without the video, I would not have been able to say what speed I had been doing or, hand on heart, that I genuinely had had no time to react and get on the brake, had she continued into my path. A typical non- event, but it did show how precisely an incident can sometimes be analysed.

Then a couple of weeks ago I thought I had been snapped by some sort of traffic camera in Cambridge - as soon as I got home I was able to review the video and see that I was not over the speed limit, hadn't gone through a red light or into a bus lane, and that the flash came from a speed camera on the other side of the road behind an oncoming car. That didn't change anything either, but it saved me a fortnight on tenterhooks.

Finally yesterday, the boss had "an accident" when she ran into the back of a third party at a roundabout. Unfortunately the device that is intended to prove her innocence proved the opposite. But what it did show is that even genuine witness statements are unreliable. She had fully accepted responsibility anyway, but she was convinced that the car ahead had set off, and had therefore stopped again while she was looking to the right, before she hit it.

In fact, the other car never moved. It stopped at the roundabout (which was effectively clear, but that is irrelevant) and she hit it at 10mph.

Turned out the other driver lives 200 miles away, and was visiting relatives; so he was probably just taking his time or hesitating as to which road to take. The boss only saw a clear roundabout. She is suitably chastened and very shocked, but I think she will look where she is going for a while.

Other than these three incidents I have never taken the memory card out since checking they worked OK when I first got them; but I have decided that they are worth having.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 12 Nov 14 at 10:32

>> Finally yesterday, the boss had "an accident" when she ran into the back of a
>> third party at a roundabout. Unfortunately the device that is intended to prove her innocence
>> proved the opposite. But what it did show is that even genuine witness statements are
>> unreliable. She had fully accepted responsibility anyway, but she was convinced that the car ahead
>> had set off, and had therefore stopped again while she was looking to the right,
>> before she hit it.
>>
>> In fact, the other car never moved. It stopped at the roundabout (which was effectively
>> clear, but that is irrelevant) and she hit it at 10mph.

Has anybody not done that, or nearly not done that? I know I have, and I have had it happen to me. It must be the most common accident around.

Look right, gap, right that cars gone, next gap is mine BANG. oppps it hadn't gone.
So far, I've never hit anything with my car, well, apart from a rabbit. It had no sense of road craft though.
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Pat
My HGV instructor taught me never to look if a road junction or a roundabout is clear until the vehicle in front has gone.

It's served me well over the years and I refuse to take my eyes off it until it has moved off completely.

Pat
>> My HGV instructor taught me never to look if a road junction or a roundabout
>> is clear until the vehicle in front has gone.

I'll pass that on as tactfully as possible!
Hope she's ok Manatee?

Erm, how's the Skoda looking?...
She's fine thanks.

Car not good. Trailered away last night. Grilles, bonnet, one wing, lights, passenger door won't open owing to wing being pushed back.
Oh heck !
>> She's fine thanks.
>>
>> Car not good. Trailered away last night. Grilles, bonnet, one wing, lights, passenger door won't
>> open owing to wing being pushed back.

Wot no airbag gone off? Thats a mere dent then in the scheme of things.
>>Car not good. Trailered away last night. Grilles, bonnet, one wing, lights, passenger door won't open owing to wing being pushed back.

Shouldn't be too pricey, seems the door mirrors are intact.

;>)
Ah shaddup !

;-)
 The honesty of the average Brit nowadays? - Cliff Pope
>> My HGV instructor taught me never to look if a road junction or a roundabout
>> is clear until the vehicle in front has gone.
>>
>> It's served me well over the years and I refuse to take my eyes off
>> it until it has moved off completely.
>>

Is that specifically for an HGV, or general advice for all drivers? Perhaps with an HGV's slower acceleration anyway there is lots to lose and nothing to gain from being quick off the mark?

I can see the sense in it, and if followed you can't go wrong, but isn't it at variance with the advice to anticipate others traffic movements and take the opportunity to maintain a smooth traffic flow?

No one follows it when joining a motorway for example. You spot a likely gap and accelerate hard for it. The car ahead has done the same for his gap. Once in a while you get someone who suddenly jams his brakes on. But it would be unrealistic to wait until he was safely merged before trying to merge yourself, because the gap would have closed and you'd have run out of sliproad?
>>but isn't it at variance with the advice to anticipate others traffic movements and take the opportunity to maintain a smooth traffic flow?
<<

Perhaps I should have added 'if there is a vehicle stopped at the give way sign' ;)

Difficult to maintain a smooth traffic flow then!

Pat
>> scrotal tossoir ripped off me dashcam the night before last and had it away with it's lead and about 70p in cash !

Most likely someone local. Someone with a sharp eye for small electronic devices. A discreet peep into the back of the Sheikh's garage might prove fruitful. Or not of course.

:o}
0-60 in 5.5 seconds....you need it for the G forces...!
You old scrooge Rob!

Pat
>>Odd, Y/N.

To be honest, I hadn't thought it through before now, but yes I guess odd.

I'd idly thought it was a trickle of stuff out of a bag. But now I think again, it is very unusual to let your ID card very far from your body. Life is impossible without it.

Phone was a smaller samsung, like an ace or something. Wallet was normal size, sufficient for money and then folded over, and the keys were a total of about 6 I guess. Certainly too much for a pocket.

Its bugging me now.
Is there a chance that they knew it was you following?
Last edited by: MD on Wed 12 Nov 14 at 07:32
No. They were sat in a bar drinking so they must have been some time in front of me. It was evening, so the light wasn't great and you couldn't see the place where the stuff had fallen from the bar, round a corner, other side of some rocks, etc. etc.

And we had arrived there via a very circuitous and largely cross-country route.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 12 Nov 14 at 09:29
Flowers delivered....after the result of the straw poll followed by another in work this morning....only our office Stalanist agreed with me.
I expect he knows a thing or two about trots too.
There's a man who knows when he's beaten!

Pat
I thought lefties were all for re-distribution of wealth and stuff?

;-)

A guy who works for us is our in house Wolfie and he wants an Audi for his next co car. He has an Insignia and doesn't accept that it suits him what with being a car of the people etc...
See if you can wangle him a Wartburg Humph.
:-)
He'll be getting the bus if he keeps on ! Connect with people and all that.

;-)
Critical to this debate are the quality of his footwear.
Not bad on that score but he will persist in leaving his shirt hanging out. You know the sort. Makes them look like Daleks when they have a gut and short legs.
>> Critical to this debate are the quality of his footwear.

Tarred felt boots are serviceable in most conditions.

Don't forget the foot-cloths, hanging out there in the shed to air them. A felt boot can chafe without a long, mellow foot-cloth.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 12 Nov 14 at 18:37
Our resident Stalinist wears some very expensive looking black "cornish pasty" type shoes always immaculately polished.
Beard?
No. (!)
He's fake then, they always have beards.
He's a true red.....singing the Red Flag at morning prayers is the latest wheeze.
>> He's a true red.....singing the Red Flag at morning prayers is the latest wheeze.
>>

Brings a whole new perspective to citizens advice..............
My father in his work for the Admiralty employed large numbers of carpenters, machinists and so on, all unionised in one way and another. From memory, he found the Boilermakers particularly militant and lefty.

At one time he was ramrodding a depot in Wales and we lived in a rented house in Fishguard. One night a completely ratted union leader turned up on our doorstep, not to remonstrate with the old man but to engineer some sort of sentimental Welsh rapprochement. He wasn't in though, and the union leader engaged my bewildered mother in conversation on the steps, offering her a chip from the packet of fish and chips he was eating. Can't remember if he was a boilermaker - one tended anyway to be shooed upstairs when anything interesting looked like happening - but my father found the whole thing very amusing. He got on well with his workers as a rule.
>>He's a true red.

I remember many years ago reading a chapter in William Brown's life where his brother, and therefore William and the Outlaws, had discovered communism or socialism or something. Actually now I think about it, the Bolsheviks, I think it was.

It ended up with the comment in a conversation between Robert and his Father along the lines of "It’s all right when you can get your share of other people’s things, but when other people can get their share of your things, its not so good."

Stuck with me for years, as pretty much summing up the stumbling block in combining socialism with human nature..
Latest Forum Posts