Non-motoring > Great Customer Service. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 61

Great Customer Service. - R.P.
My Seamaster's battery finally gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. Took it to Goldsmiths for replacement. £80.00 including re-proofing...(!). Anyway I have a £75.00 credit note from them...which has been kept safely....(!). Anyway I told the very nice girl at the counter what had happened and that I could date the event that triggered the note to August 2012...she searched, found and confirmed the story, got in touch with H.O. and they ok'd the missing note could be used by inputting a reference number. This Credit Note originated for 4X1 Tesco clubcard deal. SO I feel very looked after.

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 24 Jun 15 at 10:27
 Great Customer Service. - mikeyb
Always good to hear a positive story. We are always quick to complain /moan, but not so quick with praise
 Great Customer Service. - Crankcase
Needed a new filter for the vacuum cleaner a few days ago. Very expensive from Zanussi. Found exactly the same part number and product at a price so pleasing I bought 4 online from the people below, found at random by googling the part number.

Not only did they ring me back to tell me they only had two in stock but would be pleased to supply four if I could bear to wait a day, and had a pleasant little chat too, they also included a nice little note, and some sweeties in the parcel. It all arrived a couple of days after order and the filters are genuine parts, identical to the existing old one, at a third of the price.

So they will be used again. I see they seem to do all sorts of bits and pieces. No connection to them, just seemed good service to me.

www.chsinteractive.co.uk
 Great Customer Service. - Harleyman
Air con pump failed on the i10 a few weeks ago; typically, just outside the 5 year warranty.

Found one e-Bay, clicked, bought, arrived next day; and realised I'd ordered the wrong one, my car is a 1.2 not a 1.1 and the pumps differ. Phoned the supplier to ask if they'd consider taking it back, not holding out much hope as it was my fault since I'd misread the listing. No problem at all, he said, it happens, just post it back to us and we'll refund you. Expected to have the seller's postage costs and a handling fee deducted, but got a full refund without any quibble at all; plus he very kindly e-mailed me again a couple of days later to say he was expecting another i10 in and did I still need the pump?

That sort of service and integrity is rare indeed in the car breaking industry and I am therefore very happy to recommend these guys as all round good people.

www.spareautoparts.co.uk/SAP/

Oh, and a heads-up for i10 owners; make sure you use the aircon fairly regularly if only for a moment, fault was down to unit seizing through lack of use.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 25 Oct 14 at 13:44
 Great Customer Service. - Aretas
Thanks for the tip about regular use.
 Great Customer Service. - Fursty Ferret
Don't forget that if you buy from a business seller on eBay you're protected by the normal distance selling regulations - including the entitlement to a full refund. Many "stores" refuse to refund postage on faulty returns but PayPal will always find in your favour.

Likewise, when a business seller says that it's your fault if an item is damaged on arrival and you didn't pay for insurance, PayPal will tell them to do one if you actually need to claim.

Obviously above doesn't apply to private sellers.
True FF; though I'm not sure if that entitlement applies if, like me, you order in error.
>> True FF; though I'm not sure if that entitlement applies if, like me, you order
>> in error.
>>

Yep, no excuse needed. You can order something just to have a look at provided you return it undamaged at your own expense. Can be removed from the packaging, too.

Obviously some moral boundaries here!
 Great Customer Service. - VxFan
>> Oh, and a heads-up for i10 owners; make sure you use the aircon fairly regularly
>> if only for a moment, fault was down to unit seizing through lack of use.

That goes for any car AC system, not just i10's. Some people tend to think AC is only meant for warm summer months, whereas in fact it can be used all year round in conjunction with the heater (as more expensive climate control systems do). It also makes for an excellent demister.

>> It also makes for an excellent demister.
>>

Nothing wrong with the ordinary one. Reason I, and probably many others, do not use A/C very much is because it has an annoying appetite for petrol. I daresay that in a more powerful roadburner than an i10 the difference may be less as it's a smaller percentage of available horsepower being effectively wasted, but I do struggle to see the advantage of A/C in a car that is specifically pitched towards those who want a car that's economical.
 Great Customer Service. - sooty123
Does it really make too much of a difference, surely no more than a coupl of mpg? I wouldn't have thought even noticeable on a small eco type car.
Advantage of A/C? it's a good demisiter and very handy in the summer.
>> Does it really make too much of a difference, surely no more than a coupl
>> of mpg? I wouldn't have thought even noticeable on a small eco type car.
>> Advantage of A/C? it's a good demisiter and very handy in the summer.
>>

Up to 10 per cent apparently depending on how much you use it. You certainly hear the extra load on the engine when you switch it on. Even if it's only half that it equates to an extra two or three quid a week on our fuel bill if wifey left it on for her short commute to work, which as she works split shifts she does twice as often as most of us; and since the car's already got a good demister she's got far better things to spend money on.

Thing is, all the guides to economical driving cite A/C as one of the things to avoid using if you want to save petrol without too much effort. So it goes without saying that you sub-consciously avoid using it, plus the only other car we've ever had with A/C was the Hyundai Coupe and we didn't use it much with that. You don't miss what you've never really had.

Great Customer Service. - Zero
>> >> Does it really make too much of a difference, surely no more than a
>> coupl
>> >> of mpg? I wouldn't have thought even noticeable on a small eco type car.
>>
>> >> Advantage of A/C? it's a good demisiter and very handy in the summer.

Does on mine. My 1.6 is a paragon of smoothness, silence and reliability but you pay for that with a paltry power output and (by todays standards) poor MPG. Turning on the aircon (an old design of system with a non variable pump) produces a slump in power you can feel, and continue to feel as the pump cycles on and off.

But you are also damned with a fall in MPG if you open the window, so its swings and roundabouts.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 26 Oct 14 at 09:33
equates to an extra two or three quid a week on
>> our fuel bill if wifey left it on for her short commute to work

No I didn't think it would be a great deal at all. I use it a bit in the winter and quite a bit in the summer. Wouldn't be without it.
>> equates to an extra two or three quid a week on
>> >> our fuel bill if wifey left it on for her short commute to work
>>
>> No I didn't think it would be a great deal at all. I use it
>> a bit in the winter and quite a bit in the summer. Wouldn't be without
>> it.
>>

I'm pleased for you that £100+ per year doesn't affect you that much. Regrettably we don't have that kind of money to waste.

>>
>> I'm pleased for you that £100+ per year doesn't affect you that much. Regrettably we
>> don't have that kind of money to waste.
>>

I didn't really mean in an a***y way. I don't really think it's money wasted, like you said keeping it running helps keep the system 'fresh' and stops parts from drying out/failing.

I just look on it as had been said by someone else on here. Personally if it got to the point where a couple of mpg needs to watched over like a hawk, I'd probably know that I'd bought the wrong car. That's just my view on how I would view things. That's not me trying to offend anyone. You are, of course, free to buy whatever car you like and spend your time as you see best.

Just my opinion, no offense meant.
Harleyman, if I could ask a genuine question? How do you notice £2-3 a week in extra fuel? Even if you only did exactly the same route surely there would variations in traffic, accidents, perhaps a local event, go to a different, temperature, caught at a level crossing etc?

Like I say it's not being clever a*** asking. Do you record it all or have an app etc?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 26 Oct 14 at 16:46
Sorry if I came back seeming a bit sharp, sooty, wasn't intended.

Truth is, I don't; just that it is a given on lower-powered cars with basic aircon that using same will increase fuel consumption. Neither of us are mimsers in terms of driving style and the car does get used for other things. It's just not in our nature to waste money, that's all.
 Great Customer Service. - Bromptonaut
In the Berlingo (2013 1.6/115) you can see the instant consumption read out fall/rise as you toggle the aircon on/off. Not far of HM's estimate of 10% I should think.

Nothing like the effect of towing ton of bluff fronted caravan though. Low thirties on way out to Broads this morning.

Low thirties on way out to Broads this morning.
>>

Low thirties? I think I got that. Once ;-)
Just been to the broads and back this weekend funnily enough. And as I filled up on
leaving and reset the trip I know my reported mpg for the journey. It's not in the low thirties.
 Great Customer Service. - Bromptonaut
>> Just been to the broads and back this weekend funnily enough. And as I filled
>> up on
>> leaving and reset the trip I know my reported mpg for the journey. It's not
>> in the low thirties.
>>

To be clear, mpg in low thirties is with caravan in tow. Without it upper forties/low fifties is norm for an A road run.
Ah, with van! No van here of course. Couldn't tow one even if I wanted to.

Nice time? After years of visiting we finally got on the water this time on the paddleboat. All good fun.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 26 Oct 14 at 18:03
The delight of the written word ;-) No offense taken.

Fair enough, if you aren't bothered about A/C then it's an easy way to save a couple of quid a week I suppose. I don't think I could be without it, I like it nice and cool all year round. Most people would think it cold, but I quite like it. Although that's with CC I wonder if that takes less fuel?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 26 Oct 14 at 17:17
The true cheapskate waits until a downhill stretch or a motorway slip-road to blast the AC before turning it off again. Of course, cycling the compressor might cost more in the long run...
>> The true cheapskate waits until a downhill stretch or a motorway slip-road to blast the
>> AC before turning it off again. Of course, cycling the compressor might cost more in
>> the long run...
>>

Not cycling the damn thing cost me the thick end of seventy quid for a second-hand replacement pump. Good call FF; Mrs HM's homeward journey involves the descent of a 1 in 5 hill, will remind her to put the aircon on till she gets to the bottom. ;-)
 Great Customer Service. - BobbyG
Harleyman, have a friend who is thinking of getting a 3 or 4 year old i10 - prob a Style or Active so that it has remote locking.
Only does 3-4k miles a year so would prob not bother with dealer servicing to protect a warranty as I believe the services are very dear.

Whats your overall thoughts on the car? What year and model is yours?
59 plate Classic, owned from new, 40K miles. Bought on scrappage scheme.

Dealer servicing isn't particularly expensive actually. Major service was about £250, intermediate about £150 IIRC.

It's a surprisingly good little car; wifey uses it more than me and she'd happily have another. Does everything reasonably well, much better on motorways etc than the Fiat Panda I test drover as an alternative, will hold 70 easily with just the two of us. Good all round visibility, handles quite well although I've never really had to test it to its limits.

Only niggles have been a persistent fault in the headlight adjuster (very common, done twice, failed again and we now just live with it) and the fact that the front seats can get a bit hard on a long run. The clutch is a bit sharp and can take a bit of getting used to.

Given the number of them on the road, and the fact that the new model has come out, I'd say you would probably find a few decent bargains around.
 Great Customer Service. - BobbyG
Cheers for that - very useful
 Great Customer Service. - Pat
I knew there was a 'good service' thread on here somewhere but I didn't realise it has been 8 months since anyone has posted on it!

I found a hedgehog by the greenhouse door yesterday around lunchtime and he walked wobbly and kept lying down in the open sun. I donned gloves and moved him to the hedgerow at the top of the garden after offering him hedgehog food, cat food and water, all of which he ignored.

By 5pm he was back on the patio looking even weaker so something had to be done.

Off to the vet just before closing time with Spike in a handy cat box and the prospect of another bill ahead.

After examination they decided to give him antibiotics and keep him in overnight but the prognosis isn't good.

This is when I had a pleasant surprise!

Apparently as a hedgehog is a wild animal vets don't make any charge for treatment but it was heart warming to see that the care is just as good as for any paying 'customer'.

I have to ring at 10am to see if he has survived the night and if I can fetch him home to his family who live in our garden.

Pat
 Great Customer Service. - Focusless
>> Apparently as a hedgehog is a wild animal vets don't make any charge for treatment

Why do you think we have to pay through the nose for pet treatment? :)
 Great Customer Service. - Old Navy
If treatment is free for wild animals and humans it shows what category we are in.

I know, we pay through the odd tax or five. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 5 Jun 15 at 08:46
 Great Customer Service. - Slidingpillar
Surprised no one has said it, I tip my cap to you Pat, not everyone cares about wild animals.
>> Surprised no one has said it, I tip my cap to you Pat, not everyone
>> cares about wild animals.

They might if they knew it wouldn't cost them anything! :)
>> >> Apparently as a hedgehog is a wild animal vets don't make any charge for
>> treatment

I didn't know that. Picture the scene at my local vet......

"Thank you for looking after Fifi Mk2, as you know there will be no charge"

"Why? she is not a wild animal"

"Wild? WILD!!!! when you stuck that thermometer up her ass, she wasn't just wild she was ruddy LIVID"
Well, sadly Spike died early this morning despite the antibiotics and pain killers, but at least he wasn't left to suffer.

Probably the best possible outcome under the circumstances.

Pat
>> Well, sadly Spike died early this morning despite the antibiotics and pain killers, but at
>> least he wasn't left to suffer.
>>
>> Probably the best possible outcome under the circumstances.
>>
>> Pat

Damn thats a million fleas now homeless.
You big stupid softie Z, you'd have done just the same:)

Pat
>> You big stupid softie Z, you'd have done just the same:)
>>
>> Pat

Now I know its free, Yes!
 Great Customer Service. - Dog
>>Spike died early this morning despite the antibiotics and pain killers

The meds likely helped it to shuffle orf.
 Great Customer Service. - CGNorwich
The RSPCA has an understqning wiht the Vet's professional association that treatment or euthanasia of small wil animals will be carried out foc.

www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232721695816&mode=prd
 Great Customer Service. - Clk Sec
One of only two charities I'll not donate to, as they were no help at all when I contacted them some years ago after finding an injured animal.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 5 Jun 15 at 10:54
Blomberg (Beko)

Bought a new Blomberg upright Freezer.

All the drawers bar one of them locks to stop you fully pulling them out. The one drawer that doesn't however is next to the ice cube compartment.

I warned my mum about it, and drummed it into her head to be careful pulling that particular drawer out as there is no locking mechanism stopping it from falling out if you pull it out too far.

Anyway, the inevitable happened and despite warning my mum about it, guess who pulled it out a couple of weeks later forgetting it didn't have a locking mechanism - yep me.

Crash, bang on the floor and the plastic drawer shattered into loads of pieces.

I phoned up Blomberg to ask how much a new one was as I was unable to source one online. They asked what had happened and narrated back to me "so, you opened the freezer door and the drawer fell out?".
"Er not quite" I replied, "it fell out after pulling it out to put some food into it because there isn't a locking mechanism present".
"No problem sir, we'll send you a replacement free of charge"
It arrived next day via a courier.

I've since made a slight modification to the drawer runner using some of the broken bits from the old drawer to make a stopping mechanism because I can see it happening again in the not too distant future.
It's just a shame that is what the manufacturer didn't fit one first place. Still at least they replaced the broken drawer for nothing.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Jun 15 at 10:49
 Great Customer Service. - Alanovich
DCA SAAB between Reading and Newbury.

Went in with the gearbox warning light showing on the dash after a rough gearchange. Chap said it was probably a pair of sensors, fitted the new ones and sent me off telling me to drive the car for a couple of weeks to ensure they sensors have fixed the problem and to pay next time I'm in for anything else so long as I'm satisfied. FOC 9-5 2.3 turbo auto saloon for a courtesy car for the day as well. Nice, beats the Chevrolet Matiz I've had from other places.

An attitude which will have me coming back to them for sure.
Berkshire Cycles, Woodley branch.

Really wanted to get a new bike, but thought I ought to at least try getting my old bike in decent working order. Main problem was the rear dérailleur which only moved over 2 cogs, and no amount of oil could encourage it to more.

Took it to Berks Cycles at the end of the road, and chap (boss I think) said it just needed a new cable. I mentioned getting it serviced, but he advised against it as he'd only find things wrong with it!

Said he'd do it on the spot and took it into the workshop, but then a young couple came in looking to spend big money on a shiny new machine, so he asked if it was ok to deal with them first. When it looked like they were going to be ages, I wandered off into town for some shopping, slightly worried that no price had been discussed.

Came back an hour later and bike was ready. He suggested I try it out round the car park, and yes, if you ignored all the rust, it was like a new bike.

Cost? £5.
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 5 Jun 15 at 11:51
Nice result, FL. If I'd read that tale a few days ago I may not have ordered and paid for a new bike at Halfords on Tuesday. Collecting from Winnersh branch today. My old bike (20 yrs) let me down a bit on holiday last week and I hummed and haaed over fixing or getting new (as with my SAAB currently). Oldie has a similar gear shift problem (won't hold top large cog), noisy crank and got a puncture needing a new tyre. It will get donated to Reading Bicycle Kitchen on Saturday though, so some good comes out of it.

>> Cost? £5.

And how much in Waitrose, Costa Coffee and Cargo while you waited??

;-)

>> And how much in Waitrose, Costa Coffee and Cargo while you waited??
>>
>> ;-)

Ha - was tempted to go into Waitrose for my freebie, but the coffee drinking area in there is pretty cramped at the best of times, never mind Saturday afternoon.

Cargo?? God no; I'm a Robert Dyas man (which in fact is where I went, to pick up one of those kettle limescale inhibitor mesh doobries).

:)
Ah yes, apologia, I'd forgotten there was a Dyas there. Dragged in to Cargo by the breadknife too many times. I usually peruse Lidl when at a loose end in Woodley, but it's a very small one and usually a disappointment compared to the big ones.
>> ordered and paid for a new bike at Halfords on Tuesday.

Go on then, I won't be envious (much!) - what is it?
Haha, no you won't be envious! Cheapest mountain bike in the shop, a Trax TR1 for 80 sheets. I'm an, erm, occasional user. Mostly light road/woodland path usage when in France in the summer, and short pootles round the immediate neighbourhood of home with the children. Getting it for self assembly, I'm too tight (an untrusting) to pay Halfords 20 further of your English sheets to assemble it. I'll probably cock it up though and damage something.
Excellent! My new one might have been one of their £100 (Apollo?) hybrids, although I see the cheapest this week is £130. But the old one is a Carrera Subway One 26" hybrid, which was £160 IIRC; such extravagance meant I had to make the effort to keep it going a bit longer.
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 5 Jun 15 at 13:38
£100? £160? Rothschild. I've paid less for cars.

;-)
 Great Customer Service. - Slidingpillar
www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01xasUtlvw

:o)
The timer on top of our Brita filtered water jug failed, and not for the first time. At least this time it lasted 18 months before the LCD went loopy and started flashing up random patterns. Previous ones only tended to last between 6 to 9 months.

Phoned Brita and said that it's gone wrong again. No problem sir, we'll send you another replacement.

Seems although the timer is problematic to say the least, Brita are quite happy to keep replacing it for free.
 Great Customer Service. - CGNorwich
Not surprising really. I suspect they make their money from selling the cartridges, not the jugs
 Great Customer Service. - WillDeBeest
Damn right they do. And since the timer is the thing that might prompt you to change on the Brita schedule rather than when the cartridge is actually exhausted (I look for scale appearing in the kettle, or a hint of lingering chlorine - can take six months) it's in Brita's interest to ensure you have one that runs.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 23 Jun 15 at 16:49
 Great Customer Service. - The Melting Snowman
Possibly, but one doesn't have to buy the Brita filters. My missus buys them in Asda, made in Swirtzerland so probably of good quality. The timer on our went wrong ages ago but then I prefer to use my common sense when changing it. Afterall, the timer is only a timer, it takes no account of the volume of water actually being filtered.
>> the timer is only a timer, it takes no account of the volume of water actually being filtered.

it does on the one we've got apparently

www.brita.co.uk/brita/en-gb/cms/elemaris-water-filter.grid

"only this Premium model offers the intelligent BRITA Meter which uses three different ways (volume of water, water hardness, and time) to determine when the filter cartridge needs replacing."
I bought an Abode 4001 steam mop last April and although I've hardly used the thing really, I noticed it was hardly producing any steam of late.

I replaced the water filter thingy (£10) but it wasn't any better so, although the guarantee had expired, I emailed 'em to explain the situation and ... they sent me a brand new Abode 5001 as a replacement FOC.
 Great Customer Service. - Ted

You know how to live, Bonzo !!
Having a 4 mump old pup I NEED a steam mop !!!
 Great Customer Service. - legacylad
AT & T where I am...
Took in my unlocked IPhone 5S, meeted n greeted at t'door, then for $40 got 30 day SIM which includes unlimited calls & texts to my friends in CA and 1,000 ( yes 1,000) minutes of calls back to the UK , landlines & mobiles. I'm not conversant with charges abroad, but that sounds like a good deal. Had the same deal when in CA last Sept, and didn't use up the 1,000 minutes. No data though, but use WiFi in most places.
Great friendly service, way better than back in the UK. Probably because I'm a tourist with a funny accent.
Latest Forum Posts