Non-motoring > Flybe BEE9GX Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 23

Flybe BEE9GX - Zero
Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 - Birmingham to Aberdeen, short of Berwick on tweed, just squawked emergency, shed height rapidly (over 2000 fpm) and done a 180 turn
 Flybe BEE9GX - wokingham
Pressurisation Failure?
Last edited by: wokingham on Tue 11 Nov 14 at 08:01
 Flybe BEE9GX - Zero
>> Pressurisation Failure?

Descent wasn't that fast!
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 11 Nov 14 at 08:26
 Flybe BEE9GX - Bromptonaut
Cannot now find it on FR24. ABZ arriva.sl shows it as 'diverted', presumably to Newcastle
 Flybe BEE9GX - Arctophile
Reported in the Telegraph here.

tinyurl.com/ntm9kzy
 Flybe BEE9GX - Zero
The aircraft landed at Newcastle International Airport and dropped the ill passenger off.

It might have been nice if they had carried him down the steps and taken him to the terminal building.
 Flybe BEE9GX - Boxsterboy
Oh, so it wasn't a problem with the pilot. You know, needing a drink or something ...
 Flybe BEE9GX - Fursty Ferret
>> Oh, so it wasn't a problem with the pilot. You know, needing a drink or
>> something ...
>>

Think you'll find most pilots need a drink to steady their nerves before they go flying. :-)
 Flybe BEE9GX - Bromptonaut
>> Reported in the Telegraph here.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/ntm9kzy
>>

Usual press SOP; illustrate with a picture of any aircraft in broadly right livery.

The diverted machine was a Bombardier Dash 8/Q400, the aeroplane pictured is an Embraer, either 175 or 195.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 11 Nov 14 at 16:01
 Flybe BEE9GX - mikeyb
Snip quote
>> The diverted machine was a Bombardier Dash 8/Q400, the aeroplane pictured is an Embraer, either
>> 175 or 195.
>>

Well, Jo Public wont know the difference between a jet and a prop
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Nov 14 at 16:43
 Another Flybe Incident - Bromptonaut
Reported in the Mail:

tinyurl.com/q8gm3sj

Dash 8 again, this time Guernsey to Brum. Birdstrike on take off but engine only shut down 20 mins in. Narrative suggests there was a bit of vibration but pilot was satisfied a re-start was possible if necessary. Aircraft continued to BHX, which I think is a Flybe maintenance base.

One passenger, Dan - who claims to be a dispatcher at Guernsey, was outraged at 'risk' an passes story to the Heil.

If his company dispatches for Flybe (an possibly even if not) I rather suspect he'll be having a request for a 'focussed conversation' on his return to work.
 Another Flybe Incident - mikeyb
Its a dash 8 - of course there was some vibration!
 Another Flybe Incident - spamcan61
Not a good week to be a passenger on a Dash 8!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-29979919
>> Not a good week to be a passenger on a Dash 8!
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-29979919

'Aborted take off while it was taxying to the runway'

Classic.

An aborted take off happens on the runway when a problem occurs while there's still space to stop. It might well cause a smoke type problem as brakes are operating at 100%+ of their design capacity.

The pilot might turn back, or seek assistance with a problem while taxying but that's not an aborted take off.
 Another Flybe Incident - Fursty Ferret
>>
>> An aborted take off happens on the runway when a problem occurs while there's still
>> space to stop. It might well cause a smoke type problem as brakes are operating
>> at 100%+ of their design capacity.
>>

Not even that - a landing at, say, Belfast City in a heavy A321 will easily see brake temperatures exceed 500C and some curious looks as the brakes happily smoke away on stand.
>> Not even that - a landing at, say, Belfast City in a heavy A321 will
>> easily see brake temperatures exceed 500C and some curious looks as the brakes happily smoke
>> away on stand.

Same at Leeds/Bradford I believe, particularly if landing on 14 with a slight tailwind. If they don't cool fast enough it can even delay departure on constrained turnarounds.

No wonder the resident operator preferred the 757, with double the number of main wheels to lose the heat.

Bogie mainwheels, IIRC, were an option on the A321 but only optant was one Indian operator for a subfleet operating to a hinterland outstations.
 Another Flybe Incident - sooty123
I take it they don't have brake pack cooling fans then, are they common on airbus and Boeing types?
 Another Flybe Incident - Fursty Ferret
>> I take it they don't have brake pack cooling fans then, are they common on
>> airbus and Boeing types?
>>

A320 is the only type I'm aware of with brake fans.
>>
>> A320 is the only type I'm aware of with brake fans.
>>

That's surprising, I thought they would be more common on larger a/c types. They pretty good at cooling down hot brake packs.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 12 Nov 14 at 09:41
 Another Flybe Incident - mikeyb
>> >>
>> >> A320 is the only type I'm aware of with brake fans.
>> >>
>>
>> That's surprising, I thought they would be more common on larger a/c types. They pretty
>> good at cooling down hot brake packs.
>>

You can have brake cooling fans on 320 / 330 / 380 but the main driver for having them is quick turnaround times, so on 320 family aircraft where you can empty and re-board in short time frames you need them, but on larger aircraft they will cool at the stand quickly enough.
 Another Flybe Incident - Zero

>> You can have brake cooling fans on 320 / 330 / 380 but the main
>> driver for having them is quick turnaround times, so on 320 family aircraft where you
>> can empty and re-board in short time frames you need them, but on larger aircraft
>> they will cool at the stand quickly enough.

Problem is, they don't cool at the stand. They heat soak. If you have a nice long taxi from point of braking to stand they cool. If you have a very short taxi from last heavy braking to stand they don't - They cook at the stand.
That's why I thought they would be quite common on large civil a/c types to help get them turned. I guess most have a long enough runway not cook the brakes, enough time to cool down or both.

>> If his company dispatches for Flybe (an possibly even if not) I rather suspect he'll
>> be having a request for a 'focussed conversation' on his return to work.
>>

I think the wally on the mobile in the picture will have a little chat without coffee as well.
Mind you flybe don't have the best reputation, nothing they can do about a bird strike though. I think the prop covers are only fibreglass, not too much damage. I've seen a lot worse.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 11 Nov 14 at 19:59
Latest Forum Posts